Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is positive house guest protocol

They might unplug the clock radio because the light bothers them.

dh parents have a beautiful grandfather clock with a loud chime. It is at the opposite end of the house from their beds - directly under bil's. He stops it every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    They might unplug the clock radio because the light bothers them.
    Then turn it around on the nightstand. Or cover it with the bedding that's around. Or disconnect it and then they push the Set button a million times. This didn't happen just once.

I still think it's careless to make that the host's problem. (<== Yeah, this really pushes my [figurative] button.)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    I couldn't find the rant thread so this will have to do.

I am so pissed off at my husband right now. He decided to communicate my desire for limits on house guests as me having pathological issues and that "we are working on" my issues. He has also publicly accused me of pressuring him to cut off all contact with his family and friends.

So unless I agree to unlimited access to my home to unlimited numbers of people, I'm pathological. He's not interested in having a dialogue to reach a compromise.

I have to be very careful with this situation because I'm in danger of starting to believe him, blaming myself completely, and spinning into deep depression. It was already starting to happen. I had to intentionally call back my anger. And now I'm in tears.

I've made an appointment to talk to someone professional about this. My appt is on Friday afternoon. My challenge right now is to manage my emotional state so that I don't spin out of control.

I'm in danger of starting to believe him, blaming myself completely, and spinning into deep depression.
    Your husband is being completely ridiculous and seriously passive aggressive. He agrees to your face, then bad mouths you behind your back. What is he, 12?

I am really angry on your behalf.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Your husband is being completely ridiculous and seriously passive aggressive. He agrees to your face, then bad mouths you behind your back. What is he, 12?

I am really angry on your behalf.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Thank you.
    I agree with herbgeek. You are in the right here, do not let him bully you. It's your home too. I am so sorry you're being treated like this.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I agree with herbgeek. You are in the right here, do not let him bully you. It's your home too. I am so sorry you're being treated like this.
    Thank you Lainey.

I'm sad to read this. He is being very unfair and uncompromising, not to mention ungrateful for your constant willingness to open your home to his family. Just because you need some "time off" from being the Open Door with all the cleaning, preparation and sacrificing of personal privacy that comes with it, he's calling you pathological? Maybe he should work on his issues of being a doormat for his family at the expense of the person who should be #1 in his life.

Many times when we stand up for ourselves, it takes people a while to adjust, and the "adjustment" is often unpleasant for us. But stand firm. I predict he'll come around.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Thank you Catherine. I'm very sad as well. And hurt. I thought we always had each other's backs. And that we would always stand up for each other.

Geila, you are fine.

i would also be sad and hurt. But first I would be bat-sh*t crazy angry. That is a major violation of trust.

Thread Information