Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Long-term economics of the pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Interesting: so is the stimulus meant to circulate money back into the economy or to make people more secure individually? I personally don't see any reason not to save it if you can. It will eventually stream back into the economy once the economy itself feels safe enough to participate in as consumers again.

As liberal as I am, I think putting conditions on a stimulus check would be a logistical nightmare at best and Government overreach at worst (send the Feds your receipts?? Really?).
    Sure, that would require the Feds to hire more cubicle workers to tally up the receipts, ensuring better Democratic numbers because federal gubmnt workers skew Dem. plus it gives people jobs!

Win-Win.

My kids saved their’s which was wise as they probably won’t be returning to work until spring I would guess.

Interesting progression of the thread - nice!

As for the work from home a couple pages back, I have a sibling that works in a major corporation that has not been told out-right, but it has been hinted that the work from home will be permanent. This corporation leases most of its buildings and is looking to recoup that money. As has been stated by others, I agree that I think this will be a trend by a significant number of companies.

As for additional money from the government - any money I have received has been saved and I would do the same with any future monies. Having just obtained a new job, I'm not very trusting of the future - who knows what will happen. I still have bills to pay, so any extra funds will continue to go into savings. Yay! for all those folks with enough money for conspicuous consumption, but that just isn't happening in this household - at least not yet.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Interesting: so is the stimulus meant to circulate money back into the economy or to make people more secure individually? I personally don't see any reason not to save it if you can. It will eventually stream back into the economy once the economy itself feels safe enough to participate in as consumers again.

As liberal as I am, I think putting conditions on a stimulus check would be a logistical nightmare at best and Government overreach at worst (send the Feds your receipts?? Really?).
    I'm thinking a blast of spending may create a green shoots cycle in which more jobs come back/are created. Rob

I suspect we will come out of this with a lot of non performing loans on the books, as well as a lot of back rent liability. And a few generations of new government debt to service.

All those empty offices can be transformed into low income housing. We’re gonna need it when landlords can start evicting. People are months behind on rent.

All those social programs can be replaced by a universal basic income.

All those medical plans can be replaced by Medicare for all.

There’s solutions to be found. But the system despises solutions that take jobs or power from those currently on top of the mountain.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    All those empty offices can be transformed into low income housing. We’re gonna need it when landlords can start evicting. People are months behind on rent.

All those social programs can be replaced by a universal basic income.

All those medical plans can be replaced by Medicare for all.

There’s solutions to be found. But the system despises solutions that take jobs or power from those currently on top of the mountain.
    Very very very real take and very true. Rob

Yppej
    Certain welfare programs are distributed as prepaid credit cards. A stimulus could be handled the same way to ensure the money is spent and not saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Certain welfare programs are distributed as prepaid credit cards. A stimulus could be handled the same way to ensure the money is spent and not saved.
    Unless they are tracking every purchase for every person, this would be fine. I'd use it for groceries, gas, etc. and just put my regular money for these necessities in savings.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Tammy, all good ideas. If there was a universal income you might have people moving to rural areas where COL is lower because they wouldn’t be so dependent on jobs. This could be either good or bad. Good if people used the time to have huge gardens, etc or to pursue passions such as art and they wouldn’t have to worry about the level of sales. Bad if people just sat idle, developed substance abuse issues because of boredom, etc. SSDI recipients should be excluded because their benefits are based on work history and frequently more than what UI would be.

Thread Information