Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2022?

I feel like someone here recommended this book. Breath-The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nestor. All sorts of info about how humans used to breathe compared to how we do now. Apparently, years of mostly breathing through your mouth might be contributing to all sorts of maladies along with snoring and sleep apnea.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I feel like someone here recommended this book. Breath-The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nestor. All sorts of info about how humans used to breathe compared to how we do now. Apparently, years of mostly breathing through your mouth might be contributing to all sorts of maladies along with snoring and sleep apnea.
    I read that book, but don't know if I mentioned it here. I haven't done some of the more radical advice, like taping your mouth shut at night, but I do try to position myself to minimize the chance of my mouth falling open. And I do deep breathing once a day. It's an interesting book.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Just finished Remarkably Bright Creatures (highly recommend) and about to finish The Tobacco Wives. Next is Tina Turner's memoir My Love Story.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Just finished Remarkably Bright Creatures (highly recommend) and about to finish The Tobacco Wives. Next is Tina Turner's memoir My Love Story.
    I have to get through this Pern book and then I think I’ll start Remarkably bright creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have to get through this Pern book and then I think I’ll start Remarkably bright creatures.
    And how is that Pern book coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    And how is that Pern book coming along?
    Well, a little slow, because I had to put it down to run through that Prince Harry book.

The fantasy world that is created in the Weyr is good. The good guys and the bad guys are a little too good and bad, they’re not nuanced. I am 30% done.

right now my plan is to finish it I don’t mind putting down forever a book that I don’t want to finish but the Pern books are iconic so I need to finish one of them.

Well, a little slow, because I had to put it down to run through that Prince Harry book.

The fantasy world that is created in the Weyr is good. The good guys and the bad guys are a little too good and bad, they’re not nuanced. I am 30% done.

right now my plan is to finish it I don’t mind putting down forever a book that I don’t want to finish but the Pern books are iconic so I need to finish one of them.
    Who cares if they are iconic? ….. sounds like an unpleasant chore for you…. something you have to get through doesn’t sound enjoyable?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Who cares if they are iconic? ….. sounds like an unpleasant chore for you…. something you have to get through doesn’t sound enjoyable?
    New Year’s resolution. Read 12 books this year, beginning to end. That isn’t many, but .I skim read or stop reading many others in order to achieve 12 completions.Besides, it’s not like I’m plowing through Melville, Pern dragons are more interesting.

New Year’s resolution. Read 12 books this year, beginning to end. That isn’t many, but .I skim read or stop reading many others in order to achieve 12 completions.Besides, it’s not like I’m plowing through Melville, Pern dragons are more interesting.
    Have you read much other sci fi/fantasy before? I used to read a ton of fantasy. Pern is a weird mix of sci fi/fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Have you read much other sci fi/fantasy before? I used to read a ton of fantasy. Pern is a weird mix of sci fi/fantasy.
    No, I don’t read genre fiction for the most part but if you forced me to choose one genre it would be sci fi/fantasy.

I don’t see anything Sci Fi about it, only fantasy.

I love the English fantasy books for children, the classics. Princess and the Goblin. Narnia. Etc. Alice in Wonderland is not good literature like the others, it is more of a fever dream.

Thread Information