Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 things that give your life meaning.

Arguing with a pig is like wallowing in the mud. Both get dirty but the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Arguing with a pig is like wallowing in the mud. Both get dirty but the pig enjoys it.
    That pretty much sums it up.

Yppej
    In keeping with the pig metaphor, can PLSF be considered pork barrel politics?

In keeping with the pig metaphor, can PLSF be considered pork barrel politics?
    no it's a very narrow program that in no real way can be considered pork barrel politics I don't think. Universal student loan forgiveness would be a form of pandering (not actually universal of course as not everyone has student loans) but even then that's not the definition of pork barrel politics.

And pork barrel politics is better than what we have now anyway. It's "you vote for a bridge in my district and I'll vote for a highway in yours", possibly wasteful but at least ALLOWING some sensible legislation if the right trades were made. Now we can't even pass an infrastructure bill. We have hard partisanship (not ideology as only a few really seem to have principles, so much as just raw partisanship) plus extreme corporate influence. It's a mess.
    Trees don't grow on money

This has been a tough one for me to answer as I initially had no clue. Now I think that the top three things definitely change as time and as I change. But right now, I think my top three are:

1- my family - both immediate, extended and dragged in (lol) and my friends - new and old
    2- actually living and behaving in a manner consistent with my spiritual beliefs as often as possible
    3- being kind to others. I often forget that I am not so busy that I can't go out and help my elderly neighbor bring in her groceries or call the recent widower down the street just to say "hi".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

1-Learning constantly

2-My animals

3-Appreciating everything/everyone around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It is not a punishment. It is the consequences of your choices. If this program did not exist would you claim you are being punished?

Get roommates or get a second or third job.

There are many, many people whose sole source of retirement income is Social Security.

It is sad if money is your only source of joy.

You feel as a college educated person you are entitled to a certain lifestyle now and in retirement. If you were doing it on your own fine, but you are not entitled to live above your means with subsidies from people less fortunate than you. Only a narcissist would have the entitlement mentality you have.
    Okay, boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The average family of 4 in Nevada makes 48k/year. My husband used the GI bill after Vietnam plus worked to get his degrees. We paid cash for mine by working. Our vacations were driving to visit family. My kids had one real vacation driving to DC for a week. On some of my forums people with lots of money tweek their income to get maximum ACA credits. We spend a fourth of our yearly income before taxes for healthcare. Yyeppi, I totally understand resenting people that don’t have integrity. I do too but it’s legal. I can look at myself and not be ashamed. I think it has a lot to do with how you were raised. My parents were big on integrity and less on what you can get for free. I am grateful for the values that they passed down to us.
    Okay, boomer.

I think $58,000+ is a nice salary, tho the State of Illinois will do everything they can to take it from you.

In Chicago, there is a moving tax.When you move from one place to another, tax ya!

my current 3 things giving my life meaning besides Dh is, as always,

1) creative endeavers with flowers, growing and using them

2) communing with bulldogs

3) community centered around old buildings and flowers

IL, is this the moving tax you are referring to: https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/ve...4-93e7d41c1325

Thread Information