Thread: Foster dog

Foster dog

My latest foster dog went to her new home this morning. I am a cocker spaniel mom, and I have been involved in rescue off and on for 20 years now. I picked up this latest baby on July 3 to save her from being put in the night drop box at the shelter on 4th of July. She is a beautiful 7 yr old cocker, chocolate and tan, who had spent 5 years living in the garage. She was not allowed in the house. Then they sold the house and the dog had to go. She craves people attention and was terrified of other dogs.

In 54 days she learned that many people will be kind to her, Including pet her, that not all dogs are scary, some even obey their people- and developed a willingness to try new things. She learned to go up and down steps, to drink out of a bowl (she had a thing to lick that water would come out of, like in a rodent cage) and to sleep on a bed at night.

And it was mutual Love at first sight when she met her new family! It’s a little quiet here tonight with only my 3...

Wonderful that you do this. Cockers are beautiful dogs. We had a lovely little guy for 13 years. How does the rescue work? Do they let you know of a dog in need?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That’s awesome. I wanted to foster but my husband said no because he cannot let them go.

Bless you for fostering. Now this dog is ready for her new family, and will know happiness the rest of her life....as she deserves

Chris that is nice you prepared that doggie for a new home.

We foster for bulldog rescue. Our most recent foster job was for two nine month old puppies, siblings. They were a tornado of activity. We loved having them and we were glad to see them go!

Well done; that poor dog's early life was a living hell--which is pretty much where I'd install her original owners.

I hope your good work and her new life erases all the painful memories.

Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Next week we are getting another foster dog. It is funny that the rescue coordinator specifically asked that my dog, Teddy Bear, be on duty to “show this incoming dog how to be a dog.” Teddy bear is stable and sees a lot of dogs come and go through this house, So she thinks Teddy Bear will be good for our foster dog.

The incoming dog is currently weaning a load of puppies in her home with a backyard breeder, bulldog/pug mixes oh joy what a good idea – not. Anyway, she is known to be fearful and shy so we have to assess her temperament in a quiet environment. She was raised by the Amish and they probably didn’t give her any human contact at the critical age where puppies need to get to know humans.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Next week we are getting another foster dog. It is funny that the rescue coordinator specifically asked that my dog, Teddy Bear, be on duty to “show this incoming dog how to be a dog.” Teddy bear is stable and sees a lot of dogs come and go through this house, So she thinks Teddy Bear will be good for our foster dog.

The incoming dog is currently weaning a load of puppies in her home with a backyard breeder, bulldog/pug mixes oh joy what a good idea – not. Anyway, she is known to be fearful and shy so we have to assess her temperament in a quiet environment. She was raised by the Amish and they probably didn’t give her any human contact at the critical age where puppies need to get to know humans.
    That is so cute, your dog being a Doggie Mentor! And really cute that he has street cred with the rescue shelter!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information