Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Trends in home decor

Yesterday I walked around the touristy shops in Hermann. They are full of folksy, mostly-faux vintage items with chalk paint finishes. There are lots and lots of signs. I saw this sign in 3 different places: “Today is a good day for a good day.” I guess if you buy these signs and hang them in your suburban ranchette you might feel like you are on a farm? I dont know.

Having spent time recently on a real farm, I do not recommend farm decor. But anyway.

Also popular in tiny Hermann is anything that plays to the “drinking wine” theme. Tea towels with wording about drinking are all o er the place as well as the signs about drinking, of course.

We were in a tourist town in fall and noticed the same thing

Yeah, those fake vintage signs do seem to be popular. I feel like we've lost the art of conversation to such an extent that now we have to symbolize superficial thoughts and feelings on t-shirts, Facebook memes and "vintage" home decor. Someday there will be no conversation at all. We'll simply point to trite phrases. I don't need a big sign that says "Family" to let people know I love my family. I don't have to have barnwood that spells out "Believe" to get through the day.

I was into the Life Is Good T-shirts for a while--I thought they were so cute. I bought a couple, but I found I felt silly wearing them. I have one that says "Live Simply" but I felt downright stupid wearing it in Vermont, where everyone there does that every day and they don't have to advertise it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    …..

I was into the Life Is Good T-shirts for a while--I thought they were so cute. I bought a couple, but I found I felt silly wearing them. I have one that says "Live Simply" but I felt downright stupid wearing it in Vermont, where everyone there does that every day and they don't have to advertise it.
    Catherine, this made me laugh out loud. I guess the equivalent is wearing expensive designer clothes that advertise that you like to "Live Extravagantly."

Yeah, those fake vintage signs do seem to be popular. I feel like we've lost the art of conversation to such an extent that now we have to symbolize superficial thoughts and feelings on t-shirts, Facebook memes and "vintage" home decor. Someday there will be no conversation at all. We'll simply point to trite phrases. ...
    These are horrifying thoughts! Yikes. That is a direction we are headed.

Fortunately after being overloaded with the faux-vintage crap in 3 shoppes, I was able to adjust my head in visiting the town’s only real antique shop whoch always has something of interest.

That reminds me, below is a new acquisition I purchased for our Hermann house, the only thing that will remain after renovation. It sets the tone for cottage decor. I have not been a “country” decor person but I am transitioning to casual, cottage look for this house. This chair has so much character! look at its big knobby ornamental rail and ball feet!

C89C0DC2-5D56-465B-983D-4566517A6EEE.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah--what is the fascination with drinking? You'd think the young'uns had just discovered it. Fancy cocktails at 12$ a glass and up...Bound to be fallout from that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Fortunately after being overloaded with the faux-vintage crap in 3 shoppes, I was able to adjust my head in visiting the town’s only real antique shop whoch always has something of interest.

That reminds me, below is a new acquisition I purchased for our Hermann house, the only thing that will remain after renovation. It sets the tone for cottage decor. I have not been a “country” decor person but I am transitioning to casual, cottage look for this house. This chair has so much character! look at its big knobby ornamental rail and ball feet!

Hey, I have the cousins--my mother's Ethan Allen chairs that she bought in the early 70s. Very sturdy and classic country. I had the seats re-rushed once. Love 'em! I really love the arms on yours!

IMG_4834.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hey, I have the cousins--my mother's Ethan Allen chairs that she bought in the early 70s. Very sturdy and classic country. I had the seats re-rushed once. Love 'em! I really love the arms on yours!

IMG_4834.jpg
    oh, nice! These guys are close cousins indeed. Mine has a new seat as well.

Love the chair

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

You are looking very instragram decor there. All you need to do is add a green plant. Wood tones, ratan/wicker, light grey or even better white walls with white woodwork (a heftier 6" baseboard would be best) and you are stylin' IL! Oh...add something brass as well.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information