Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BP and LDL

Only for men that already have heart problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Only for men that already have heart problems.
    Something about that just doesn't add up to me.

So before a guy has heart problems LDL is all fun and games. Then something -- totally unrelated to LDL -- goes wrong with his ticker. Then LDL starts beating his heart's ass? Come on. Not buying it.

Smoking is only bad for men who already have lung cancer. Right. Got it!

Read the studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Read the studies.
    They are probably funded by the egg yolk industry.

"Don't worry about cholesterol until you already had your heart attack." LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Something about that just doesn't add up to me.
    Me neither. I'm aware of a few studies from several years ago which found that higher LDL in men over 60 years of age had no significant impact on their longevity, but as a person with clogged arteries and a stent in his left anterior descending artery (the widowmaker), I'd question anyone promoting that view.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Apparently, Teacher Terry and I read the same studies. Nothing I have seen suggests to me that statin drugs have more than limited use, targeted to middle aged heart attack victims, while they have side effects ranging from cognitive decline and increased susceptibility to type 2 diabetes, to kidney failure, heart failure, and muscle weakness including rhabdomyolosis. They have no efficacy for women.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2018...-heart-attack/

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Apparently, Teacher Terry and I read the same studies. Nothing I have seen suggests to me that statin drugs have more than limited use, targeted to middle aged heart attack victims, while they have side effects ranging from cognitive decline and increased susceptibility to type 2 diabetes, to kidney failure, heart failure, and muscle weakness including rhabdomyolosis. They have no efficacy for women.

Are we talking about high LDL being bad for you or about statins being bad for you?

Jane believes in studies she likes. She doesn't believe in studies she dislikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Are we talking about high LDL being bad for you or about statins being bad for you?
    I'm in accord with SteveMN re LDL, but I'm generally a cholesterol skeptic who believes the key factor in heart disease is inflammation.

I'm in accord with SteveMN re LDL, but I'm generally a cholesterol skeptic who believes the key factor in heart disease is inflammation.
    What do you think causes the inflammation?

Thread Information