Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Day Without a Woman General Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, but you're not a man. If you were it would obviously be some sort of patriarchal power play because, well, I'm not sure why.
    Even if it was a patriarchal power play, it is essentially harmless in the physical sense. The price we pay for living in a fairly free and open society is that people will say dumb sh*t to us and about us.

But as Daniel Suelo once said: "What other people think of you is none of your business."

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    I think any sentence that starts with "You should", is crossing a lot of boundaries.
    You should not say any sentence that starts with "you should."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'll never tell, I've finally gotten old enough and experienced enough to know better than share an opinion on matters of sex, race, religion or the relative merits of feminism. But, quoting others and seeing the response is just as fun.
    Well glad (maybe not) to help you be amused. I am not sure how to take that, doesn't feel too great honestly

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Well glad (maybe not) to help you be amused. I am not sure how to take that, doesn't feel too great honestly
    But why do you care?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    You should not say any sentence that starts with "you should."
    ….and speaking of smiling….last night I tried something while out and about. Without saying a word, I smiled at several people. They responded by smiling back at me. Lifted my spirit and I hope it lifted their spirit as well. Try it you should*, it may lift your spirit as well.

*Yoda speak

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    But why do you care?
    Still finding that space between if this is that I care about what someone thinks of me or if it is that I choose to not let things go by while ignoring them. I don't say things when I am bothered because I am necessarily trying to change someone else's mind or that I care too much about what they thing, but I am here, I am visible, and I get as much voice in the conversation as anyone else.

On a side note I am sick of people not saying anything, a lot of time because they do not have the skills to make simple comments. My mom was with my dad's brother and family. All really big conservative people, they knew that. My parents are pretty darn liberal and have been forever, raised us with a very socially liberal worldview. When they saw them last my uncle said something like 'guess we showed all those democrats,' and went on to make jokes about liberals. My parents just smiled. Why the fudge do we not have the social skills to simply say something, anything, that does not cause a fight or a reason to be the 'correct' one, but just says 'hey I am liberal, I am a democrat, so that may affect what you say right now'.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    ….and speaking of smiling….last night I tried something while out and about. Without saying a word, I smiled at several people. They responded by smiling back at me. Lifted my spirit and I hope it lifted their spirit as well. Try it you should*, it may lift your spirit as well.

*Yoda speak
    I've tried that. It seems to make a lot of people nervous. My wife says I have the wrong sort of face for cheerfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I've tried that. It seems to make a lot of people nervous. My wife says I have the wrong sort of face for cheerfulness.
    I haven’t thought of this in a long time but my father used to say that if you smile all the time people will think you are up to something. Thanks for prompting the memory.

Even if it was a patriarchal power play, it is essentially harmless in the physical sense. The price we pay for living in a fairly free and open society is that people will say dumb sh*t to us and about us.
    although i very much doubt it was what the day without women strike was about it, the smile thing does seem making a big deal out of nothing pretty much.

some women perceive it as sexist I guess, but since I never did I doubt that's universal, or do we all need to be consciousness-raised ahem indoctrinated to see it that way? (I didn't say it's not *annoying*!). I would have thought if anyone would see it as particularly offensive it would be clinically depressed people (as in: "listen idiot, I'm clinically depressed, it's a psycho-socio-biological disease okay, so don't tell me to just smile")
    Trees don't grow on money

Smiling or being smiled at releases endorphins in your body that make you happier. If you can smile with your whole face, (as if you really mean it), then it is more beneficial. If you are depressed, then you are supposed to smile to help lift your mood.

Thread Information