PDA

View Full Version : "Breaking News" isn't so breaking

CathyA
3-16-11, 10:16am
I'm getting rather irritated with one of the TV stations in the nearby city. They've gotten into the habit of having the "breaking news" soundtrack come on with "BREAKING NEWS" flashing on the screen. Then the newscaster comes on and proceeds to talk about old news. Its irritating. Are we supposed to be fooled by this? :confused:

loosechickens
3-16-11, 1:06pm
well, it usually is relatively current stuff, but not everyone may have had their tvs on all the time as you might have, so are just now tuning in, and so it IS "breaking news" for them, and not old at all.

also, I'm sure they are not above trying to attract your attention to the screen so that you are there, watching, for the next commercial....... ;-)

puglogic
3-16-11, 4:30pm
This is why I watch about an hour of TV a week. I just hate these games so much...it interferes with my serenity. I've quit playing.

CathyA
3-16-11, 4:40pm
Loosechickens, its not even important stuff. I think you're right about it just being used to attract our attention. How stupid do they think we are? (Don't answer that! hahaha).
Puglogic, I hate these games too. They're just so danged stupid.

razz
3-16-11, 4:42pm
That is why I avoid TV and simply check once a day online.

CathyA
3-17-11, 11:18am
Its funny......I was checking out some comments about this TV station and others mentioned the Breaking News thing. One person said "A cat stuck up in a tree isn't breaking news". So others have noticed it. Are we really supposed to think they have more up-to-date info because they're adding these phoney "breaking news" clips? Okay. I'll let it go now. :)

Glo
3-19-11, 5:49pm
My DH watches a lot of news. What I object to is that they keep repeating the same old stuff over and over. Very irratating!