PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished projects

Jinger
3-16-11, 4:22pm
Does anyone have them?

I made a commitment to myself to complete all my half done projects before I start anything new....it's tough, though. I did just finish one improvisational baby quilt that has been lying dormant for months...now I'm onto knitting 2 sleeves to finish a baby sweater. After that I have a lap quilt that needs to be sewn together and another baby quilt that needs batting, backing and quilting.

Hopefully, I can make this all happen by the beginning of summer.

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

razz
3-16-11, 4:41pm
UFO's are a fact of my life that I rather enjoy. I started and almost finished a needlepoint about 45 years ago and pick it up every once in a while and review the history of my life. I have quilts, sweaters that are 'in progress'.

IshbelRobertson
3-16-11, 6:23pm
I have one piece of tapestry which I have been doing for over 15 years. It has travelled all around Europe with me - and to Australia three or four times. It's a cushion cover, mostly plain, boring cream stitches with a few shades of blue. I am determined to finish it this year!

BTW - the room that it was intended for has changed colour four or five times in the interim - I'm going to have to get it painted again so that the damned cushion matches the decor!

Stella
3-16-11, 6:31pm
Funny you should mention this today. Just today while I was setting up my new sewing space I found the pieces of a baby quilt I was planning on making a few years ago. I'm thinking of making it for my new baby.

Kestra
3-16-11, 6:32pm
I posted on the old boards about knitting socks. I actually managed to finish one completely, but haven't even started on the second one. So busy right now. Maybe next winter I'll do it. So right now there's a lonely handmade sock just sitting in my bedroom not being used.

sweetana3
3-16-11, 6:39pm
I am working hard on completing UFOs. I have finished (except for labels) over 15 quilts some as old as 20+ years. So far it is working. I have many UFOs in process and made a list of what is needed for each. I would love to be one of those who buys only what is needed for one project and then finish it. Not me.

I am not starting any new crafts since I have several that I have not even begun. Easier to buy than to "do" the craft.

Rosemary
3-16-11, 9:33pm
My oldest unfinished project was begun around 1993 when I was a grad student. It's a wool embroidery project. My newest unfinished project that's not currently under work is some loom-knit wool socks. I've been teaching myself to knit and I'm making some scarves for Christmas gifts. I've been using up fabric that I already have to make other things and teach DD to sew. I'm also on a no-new-supplies plan. I easily have enough craft stuff to keep me busy for 10 years at my current pace!

Kat
3-17-11, 9:02am
My scrapbooking supplies are a mess. I started it up several years ago because my sisters wanted me to. They are very good at it; I am not. My DH pointed out the other day that I do enjoy embellishing packages wrapped in brown paper by making tags and such. He suggested I keep supplies related to that and let go of the rest. So once this kitchen/nursery overhaul is complete, my new "project" is to go through all my stuff and decide what to keep and what to toss.

Dhiana
3-17-11, 10:53am
An art group I belong to had weekly Art Studio Diet Open Art Sessions - Lighten the load in your Art Studio/Craft Room, put it on a diet! Bring your UFO's to the weekly sessions and get them done. We got a lot of projects done during those sessions.
We also did an Art Supply Exchange - as our lives change so does our creative interests. While one person wasn't interested in crocheting anymore and brought the supplies they no longer used, another was just starting up crocheting and loved receiving these items. Everything from magazines for collages and a potters wheel were up for grabs. 98% of the supplies went to new homes =)
Dhiana

Selah
3-17-11, 8:08pm
I had a bunch of unfinished projects, but then told myself I could NOT spend ANY more money on supplies until I finished every single project already underway. I stuck to it and got a lot of stuff done, and am now waiting for the equipment to arrive for my new artistic venture, which I hope, someday, will generate some cash! (I also made myself save up for the equipment and not put it on credit cards, AND also wait for the equipment to go on sale, so the self-control is working...at least for now!)

Jinger
3-17-11, 8:30pm
I love all these comments and Dhiana, the art group sounds lovely! How did it start....I'd enjoy belonging to something like that as long as it was amateurs.

As of today, my 2nd UFO is nearing completion. However, I go back to work next week, so won't have as much time. But, I'm still aiming for total completion by June.

Dhiana
3-20-11, 2:19pm
Hi Jinger
Technically it's a Meetup Group. From the website www.meetup.com
Type in the area you live in and your favorite activities and there may already be a group with those same interests meeting in your area. I just moved to SoCal in August and through the Art Meetup Group I have tons of really good friends. These are just regular people coming together w/common interests, so it cuts down on a lot small talk because you immediately have a similar interest. Our groups range in age from 20s to 70s and we get together to work on our craft/art.

We had a Meetup at a local park on a gorgeous sunny day and while I worked on crocheting flowers others were working on; cutting felt for a Domo project, drawing a family portrait for commision, clay/paper, beading jewelry, embroidering a christmas stocking, felt collage and more. It's totally casual. If you don't find what you want on Meetup, start your own. These groups are what you make of them =)

Dhiana