PDA

View Full Version : Possible bummer with health insurance

CathyA
6-21-14, 4:17pm
My DH has his own business and pays a fortune for health insurance for his employees, and for us. I think it's something like $25,000/yr for a family (3) and then we have a $6,000.00 deductible.

I went ahead and had several doctor visits and tests this year because I needed them. I had been putting them off for awhile.

The good news is, I think by July 1, we'll have met our deductible, and then we can buy each month, a small tube of psoriasis cream for DS....which costs $400-500 a tube. BUT........DH is probably going to switch health care companies, so it will cost less for his business. That means all those things that would have been essentially free for the rest of the year, will be lost. Just doesn't seem fair.
I'm thinking they intentionally require changes like this to be made in July, to help insurance companies avoid paying after deductibles have been met. Is that possible?

I'm bummed.......especially for DS who was hoping for the psoriasis cream. :devil:

pinkytoe
6-21-14, 5:12pm
My goodness...why would a cream cost that much?

CathyA
6-21-14, 5:46pm
That's a good question! I think we could get it in Canada for about $80, but I'm hesitant.

rodeosweetheart
6-21-14, 5:55pm
That's a good question! I think we could get it in Canada for about $80, but I'm hesitant.
I would definitely get it in Canada, Cathy! We had to go to the pharmacy yesterday to buy epi pens for husband (his bad luck continues, managed to have 2 unrelated ER visits in one day) and they wanted 400 dollars for 2 epipens. With insurance, it was suddenly 38 dollars.

Racket.

CathyA
6-21-14, 7:44pm
Oh no! 2 ER visits in one day?? I hope his bad luck is finally over now!

I think hospitals/docs, etc. jack up the prices so by the time the insurance company says what is "reasonable".....they get what they really wanted in the beginning.