PDA

View Full Version : "Like" buttons??

catherine
1-30-15, 11:42am
Hmmm, is this my imagination or do I have a secret Forum Genie at work? I recently posted on other thread:

posts like yours have me wishing there was a "like" button here.

Now, all of a sudden I see a Facebook "like" button connected with each thread. So first of all, thanks--my wish was your command!

But my technical question is, isn't this a breach of privacy? Does clicking on the Facebook "like" automatically post the threads on Facebook? If so, that's not what I was thinking.. I was thinking more along the lines of having a "like" button as part of the forum, not part of Facebook. I've been on discussion boards where there are buttons to "like" and "thank" specific posts/posters--but they weren't Facebook "like" buttons.

I'd like to hear what others think of this as an option. As for me, I don't think I'll do any more posting until they're removed

mtnlaurel
1-30-15, 11:48am
I do not want this board to have any correlation with Facebook.

catherine
1-30-15, 11:52am
I do not want this board to have any correlation with Facebook.

I totally agree

Alan
1-30-15, 12:05pm
That was me playing around this morning. Don't be alarmed, the forum doesn't know the details of anyone's facebook account and therefore cannot interact. I have not enabled the ability to link a Facebook account to anyone's user account. Catherine said she'd like a 'Like' button and I'm simply playing with my limited Genie abilities to see if that wish can be granted.

catherine
1-30-15, 12:07pm
That was me playing around this morning. Don't be alarmed, the forum doesn't know the details of anyone's facebook account and therefore cannot interact. I have not enabled the ability to link a Facebook account to anyone's user account. Catherine said she'd like a 'Like' button and I'm simply playing with my limited Genie abilities to see if that wish can be granted.

Thanks for the explanation, Alan! And for your efforts in this regard. I flew the idea up the flagpole once before and it was defeated, so if in your playing Genie you find there is a way to have a like button for specific posts, maybe we should poll the group to get consensus.

Alan
1-30-15, 12:32pm
I took the Like buttons away to prevent unnecessary drama. There are no other Like options built into the platform, so, in the absence of going out to find a plug-in which might do the job, I'll consider this experiment over until such time as a consensus is reached among our members.

KayLR
1-30-15, 1:05pm
Probably if it had been called something else, such as a "I totally agree" button (ITA) it would have been gladly accepted. The Facebook stigma killed it.

iris lily
1-30-15, 1:06pm
So, will we get a "Nope" button as well? You know I am not a puppies and rainbows kind of person.

catherine
1-30-15, 1:22pm
So, will we get a "Nope" button as well? You know I am not a puppies and rainbows kind of person.

Haha! What about a "What an a____ you are!" button? (just kidding of course--Alan, don't get any ideas)

wren
1-30-15, 2:07pm
Some of the posts here are so well-written and articulate that I have wished for a 'like' button.

kib
1-30-15, 2:56pm
My vote would be a 2 on scale of 1 = it's a horrible idea and 5 = magnificent, 2 being "I don't really want it but it's not important to me one way or the other". I don't really understand the purpose and it seems unnecessarily competitive to me.

catherine
1-30-15, 2:59pm
I don't see it as competitive--I see it as wren does: almost the opposite: to show support and appreciation without having to craft a reply. I never write posts hoping to get a lot of "likes" and I don't think a like button would change that.

If I'm using your scale, I'm a 3.5.

kib
1-30-15, 3:06pm
Hmm. Ok. I'll give it a 2.5 then, I just read your comments to mtnlaurel and "got it" a bit more.

rosarugosa
1-30-15, 7:35pm
I could go for "heartily concur" and "diametrically oppose" buttons.

ToomuchStuff
1-30-15, 11:15pm
It is amazing to me how a Like button would be requested when the site already has an option that people are failing to use (and it is common to the software on this and MANY other forums). It is the RATE THIS THREAD option (look at post 11, find the post number and look up). I am strongly against a like button, without at least having a dislike option, yet I can do that with the rate this thread.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgCnY1lPg

I certainly don't want to be connected to Friendface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

catherine
1-30-15, 11:46pm
It is amazing to me how a Like button would be requested when the site already has an option that people are failing to use (and it is common to the software on this and MANY other forums). It is the RATE THIS THREAD option (look at post 11, find the post number and look up). I am strongly against a like button, without at least having a dislike option, yet I can do that with the rate this thread.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgCnY1lPg

I certainly don't want to be connected to Friendface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

If you see how similar like buttons are used in many other places, such as following comments on any online article, for instance, there is never a "dislike" button. Also, rating the thread isn't the same as liking the specific post. But I get it, no one thinks it's a good idea.

Go back in your bottle, Forum Genie Alan!

https://preaprez.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

rosarugosa
1-31-15, 5:46am
I do think a Like button makes it easier to be lazy and not actually contribute to the conversation.

catherine
1-31-15, 7:47am
I do think a Like button makes it easier to be lazy and not actually contribute to the conversation.

In my experience, like buttons actually encourage involvement, but that's just my experience.

ToomuchStuff
1-31-15, 10:09am
If you see how similar like buttons are used in many other places, such as following comments on any online article, for instance, there is never a "dislike" button. Also, rating the thread isn't the same as liking the specific post. But I get it, no one thinks it's a good idea.

Go back in your bottle, Forum Genie Alan!

https://preaprez.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

If you have blocking software on your system, and FB is among the blocked stuff, you don't see those buttons, since they are connected to/part of FB. (not separate entities)
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/12/facebook_dislike_button_why_mark_zuckerberg_won_t_ allow_it.html

catherine
1-31-15, 10:31am
If you have blocking software on your system, and FB is among the blocked stuff, you don't see those buttons, since they are connected to/part of FB.

Again, I'm not talking about Facebook. I'm talking about a feature built into discussion forum software. Some discussion forums have it, some don't. The "like" buttons for those forums are NOT connected to FB. They simply give you an opportunity to click on a like button to show your agreement or support for a specific post in a thread. In human interactions it would be the same as a head nod.

Really! Let's just forget it. It was just an idea.

ToomuchStuff
1-31-15, 10:41am
Again, I'm not talking about Facebook. I'm talking about a feature built into discussion forum software. Some discussion forums have it, some don't. The "like" buttons for those forums are NOT connected to FB. They simply give you an opportunity to click on a like button to show your agreement or support for a specific post in a thread. In human interactions it would be the same as a head nod.

Really! Let's just forget it. It was just an idea. Sorry I brought it up.

Any link as I have never seen it in any of forums I am a member of?

catherine
1-31-15, 11:32am
Any link as I have never seen it in any of forums I am a member of?

Well, here's an example. It's not a discussion forum, but I have seen the same idea in discussion forums--just having a hard time coming up with one right now.

Look at the comments following the Get Rich Slowly blog post and you'll see what I mean. In the meantime, I'll try to find a discussion board example that I can share.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2015/01/26/how-to-raise-a-frugal-child/

Well, what the heck. Here's an example of a board that uses "thanks" instead of "Like" but it's kind of the same the same idea.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/358110-language-letting-go-jan-31-a.html

But I just found the best example of what I was thinking of:

http://stamporama.com/discboard/disc_main.php?action=20&id=5864

ToomuchStuff
1-31-15, 12:31pm
Thank you. Never seen that before.

Packy
2-2-15, 12:41pm
I, want everything to be just like F-Book. Everything like F-Book, only even better! Ha. How do you like that? I want a "Like" button, I want a "Like-Very-Much" Button, and I want a "Really, really, really Like" Button. Even though, they would not get used very much. None of us "Like" much of anything, unless it pertains to Food, Comfort, Security, More Food, and Prestige, or sharing the intimate details of the pathos in our littlebitty lives. So, the board should have a "Dislike", a "Profound Loathing" Button, and a "Detest So Much It Makes Me Violently Ill" Button. The last one would be reserved for exceptional cases, such as when any of you kids should (by accident)read one of my posts, which you never do anyway. Also, probably there should be a "I Ignored This" button, as well. This will let everyone know that you are completely oblivious to----whatever---but that you just know you would not like it, but do not wish to expend your life's energy "Disliking" something. See? Pretty ingenious. I've got some more ideas, but I'll return after this short break. Thank mee (Hope that helps you some)