PDA

View Full Version : Wierd and very painful joints

Catwoman
5-7-11, 8:32pm
I hate to be a whiny hiney - so I just try to take my aches and pains in stride and deal with stuff sensibly. Well...so Easter weekend, left elbow joint extremely painful, could not lift arm to scratch ear, etc. This lasts for about 3 days - it is stil sore. Today - mid afternoon, my right elbow joint began to hurt like nobody's bizness. Deep, deep inside ache. Also from time to time, my right knee gets inflamed and painful..so anyway, I just made a connection...I take my simvastin irregularly because I was waking up in the night with severe calve cramps. Doc said to just take every third day or so...I was wondering if this roving joint pain could somehow be related to the cholesterol meds... Any thoughts would be appreciated... On a scale of 1 to 10, I am at about a 6 right now.

danna
5-7-11, 8:45pm
I think I would ask you doctor in case it is something else. Or, maybe the pharmacist about the effects of this drug.

kally
5-7-11, 9:26pm
I believe aching joints can be related to these meds.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cholesterol/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100218814

JaneV2.0
5-7-11, 10:08pm
Statins are notorious for destroying muscle tissue. Admittedly I have a small social circle, but every single person I've known--or known of--who has had statins pushed on them has suffered resultant muscle pain. They may have some value to middle-aged men who have already suffered a heart attack, but there's no evidence they benefit women in any way. See Duane Graveline, MD's work, or read either version of The Great Cholesterol Con for the scoop. In my never particularly humble opinion, I think they're a dangerous scam. Baycol, for one, has been banned, and Crestor is known to cause kidney damage. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news03/crestor.html Nasty business.

Tammy
5-8-11, 1:20am
my husband had those types of symptoms on lipitor. the doc changed him to a different cholesterol med and he no longer has those symptoms.

Catwoman
5-8-11, 8:15am
Well...the pain is much, much less this morning, but it still feels sore and inflamed. I have been on this drug for 5 or so years and suffered with knee pain, joint pain, digistive issues. I never made the connection till now...so I'm off of it for at least the next two weeks. I have bought some fish oil tabs, will diligently try to exercise and eat right and we'll see what happens...

Catwoman
5-15-11, 7:11pm
Well, I am several days into my self-imposed clinical trial. I feel pretty good. There is still a little residual pain in my knee and elbow joints but not nearly the pain I was feeling when taking the statin. My physician son gave me a stern talking to(love the boy) about "you can't just stop taking your statins), I don't know why not! but I will mind him and see my doc, oh, sometime in June. The more I read about this stuff, the more leary I become. It really does work wonders on your cholesterol but its kind of a phyric victory if you are all stove up and can't walk, run or hike.

JaneV2.0
5-15-11, 7:26pm
Your brain and nervous system is in large part made of cholesterol. I wouldn't be in a hurry to destroy it. I think your son has been unduly influenced by an endless parade of Pharma reps.

ETA: Look into CoQ10 supplementation. Apparently, statins deplete the body's supply. If I remember correctly, one of the myriad formulations adds some back, but most don't.

H-work
5-15-11, 8:00pm
A dear friend was taking statins. He looked like death warmed over, he looked so ill. Another friend, a nurse, begged him to stop taking them. He did. I saw him and had to pry what was different about him, he looked 10 years younger.

Mrs-M
5-15-11, 8:05pm
Catwoman. I don't have anything to add, but I do want to tell you how adorable your little furry friend is! I LOVE all the animal avatars here.

Jemima
5-15-11, 9:59pm
Well...the pain is much, much less this morning, but it still feels sore and inflamed. I have been on this drug for 5 or so years and suffered with knee pain, joint pain, digistive issues. I never made the connection till now...so I'm off of it for at least the next two weeks. I have bought some fish oil tabs, will diligently try to exercise and eat right and we'll see what happens...

The dietary change that helped me the most with cholestrol was avoiding transfats. Any processed food that has hydrogenated fat on the label is really bad for the arteries. My cholestrol dropped 27 points when I started reading labels and keeping transfats out of the house. I avoid restaurants as well, which are going to use the cheapest cooking fats, likely margarine, except perhaps for the very most elegant gourmet places. When traveling, I hunt up grocery store salad bars and Asian restaurants. Also, try to have a small handful of nuts most days, particularly walnuts or almonds, which have a natural statin-like effect on the body without the scary side effects.