PDA

View Full Version : New York City: I Have To Ask

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 9:22am
My 35th wedding anniversary is coming up this summer. My wife is constantly commenting on the fact that she has never been to New York City. You see where this is going.

I hate the thought. There is seemingly nothing I feel I am missing out on, but I’d like to surprise her with a trip there. I thought about a bed & breakfast outside the city for accommodations but would consider a place in the city. I’m concerned about getting around in the city. I also have no idea what to take her to. I can drive to a staging area outside the city, it’s close enough to my home logistically.

If you were going to plan this.....what would you do?

bae
1-28-18, 9:27am
A couple of years ago, we went there for several weeks to attend the Met’s production of The Ring. My wife found us an apartment within walking distance, and it was great.

Tammy
1-28-18, 9:48am
Instead of surprising her, how about telling her now and letting her plan it? I bet she'd love to plan it and I bet you would enjoy not doing so.

SteveinMN
1-28-18, 9:55am
(Source: former resident of NYC suburb; have visited twice in the last decade)

Do it! I would get a place near most of what you want to see. NYC sprawls and you'll need to be a fair amount away for any savings on a place to stay after you include transportation costs and time lost during your visit to being in whatever conveyance gets you around. And -- it's a room. You just need someplace clean enough to sleep and bathe. You could check AirBnB or VRBO to see if you can get a better deal for a room than by using a discount from GroupOn or through your credit card company or some affinity group to which you belong (AARP, etc.) or through a travel consolidator.

Transportation choices are rife. There's buses, cabs, the subway, ride-sharing services,... Walking works really well and if you're out at normal hours and aren't looking like a tourist and dripping with jewelry and $350 "kicks" you'll be fine. Last time I was in NYC I stayed in a hotel near Grand Central Station (disclosure: paid for by work); it was an easy walk to Times Square and the Empire State Building and the Museum of Modern Art and it really would not have been hard to keep going down to the 9/11 memorial or the South Street Seaport for part of the day. I knew I could grab a cab if I got too tired during the walk.

This is where your wife comes in. If she's wanted to go to NYC for a loooong time, she likely has ideas on what she'd like to see and do. Tammy's idea of letting her plan it is a great one. That also will help define where you might want to stay.

sweetana3
1-28-18, 10:00am
Stay downtown!!. All is within walking distance and you can even try a taxi or the subway. We have some really funny stories about each. I loved the Met Museum of Art (takes 2 full days). Each of the museums we went to were huge. Loads of great restaurants of all ethnicity. I walked from Columbus Circle to the WTC. It was a long way but there is much to see. We were interested in food so checked out the Whole Foods at Columbus Circle and the Chelsea Food Market. We enjoyed a long time spent at Grand Central Station. Big food market and huge fast food eating area with some wonderful stalls.

There is a huge cooking school for chefs that has recreational classes and has some walking food tours around NY. We took one from a walking group around Chinatown and one around Greenwich Village and had a great time. Loads of walking tours for allmost any interest. The cooking school's website is https://www.ice.edu/ .

We occasionally just walked up to a box office and asked what tickets they had available. Saw a couple of shows. Since we were already downtown, we did not have to worry about leaving the city. We felt safe and always surrounded by loads of people.

ps: you can stay in a sterile fancy hotel for big $$ or try one of the odd ball bed and breakfasts or small hotels. I recommend 23rd Street area.

Yppej
1-28-18, 10:06am
I went several times, using both train (once) and car (other times) to get there. If driving look for a hotel that has subsidized parking. Once there I walked, took the subway, or took cabs. Once I walked so much I and my cousin's feet were horribly blistered so be sure to wear comfortable shoes. One thing I have not done that appeals to me is see the city by boat cruising down the Hudson River.

lmerullo
1-28-18, 10:09am
Hubby and I spent 8 days there a few years age, due to a work conference. We selected the lodging and meals ourselves and were reimbursed or hubby used company cc. There were eight couples all spread out. This is a time where you really need to rely on the online ratings! We did well in an independent hotel / apartment building, but some who booked chains were very disappointed.

We used ride shares, subway and walking. I have to say that I never felt unsafe - if that is a concern. With your background, you'll be fine, I'm sure!

Like you I imagine, we were not eager to go and now can say it's a check mark off the bucket list ( and an experience we'll treasure) but will not return.

Sad Eyed Lady
1-28-18, 10:24am
Oh yes, do it! I have been three times and have loved being there each time. Stay in the city. If you are walkers, then that is the way to see things. For getting somewhere quick take the subway. I have used walking, subway, bus and even uber the last time I was there (because the friend I was with wasn't much of a walker but loved uber!). The two times DH and I went we felt we got a pretty good deal through combining services (fight, hotel and shuttle service) through something like Expedia. There is just an energy there that is hard to explain unless you feel it. GO!

catherine
1-28-18, 10:27am
I would definitely stay in town. You have to have the total NYC experience. Check around for good hotel rates, or airBNB. Midtown/Times Square would be the most central to get anywhere you would want to go. Upper West Side near Central Park, or Union Square area are a tad quieter and more "residential", but still have lots of things nearby. The Village/Soho is a lot of fun. None of the neighborhoods are quiet, though--this is the City That Never Sleeps, and it's really true. If you want a bit more peace and an escape from Manhattan's high energy, try staying in Hoboken. You take the PATH train right into Manhattan and it's very quick and cheap.

If you shop around and are flexible with dates, just play around on Expedia or some other travel site you like. Hotel rates are very random. You may pay $400 one day and $130 the next for the same room. Depends on the season and what's going on in the City.

rosarugosa
1-28-18, 10:31am
I have never been, but if I do go, I want to stay at the Algonquin and see the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building and Central Park. Oh, and the Dakota, at least a walk-by since I was a huge fan of Rosemary's Baby. :devil:
I have visited these places so many times in books that it would be cool to see them with my own two eyes.
I fully agree with involving your wife in the planning process.

nswef
1-28-18, 10:48am
Oh yes, GO and let her plan or help you plan. I've been once all by myself, and 6 times with other people. Stay in town, much easier to get around and there's so much to see you don't want to waste time getting back to your hotel. Two ways to do the Statue of Liberty-Staten Island Ferry for a distant view and the direct ferry at Battery Park. I never felt unsafe. When I went with my mom and sisters we stayed at the Barbizon, with husband World Trade Center Marriott, with parents the Waldorf, alone at a Marriott near Penn Station, Marriotts were paid for with points, Waldorf was Priceline. We've flown and taken the train, once in town used cabs, the subway and the bus. We did the tour bus around town (not very accurate with their stories, but entertaining.)

Simplemind
1-28-18, 12:59pm
We went this last September and had the time of our lives. We saw every highlight that you can think of with a city guide who lived there and was a kick in the pants. He even taught us how to ride the subway. We were there a few days before 9/11 so there were many events going on that wouldn't be there normally. We stayed in Times Square. Now when we catch glimpses in movies or TV we giggle and say "We were right there". Had so much fun.

catherine
1-28-18, 1:32pm
From the little I know about you, WS, you might enjoy:

Central Park West/Museum of Natural History
The High Line
9/11 Museum

If you don't want to walk:
NYC bus tour (my DH takes those city bus tours in EVERY CITY we go to. They do give you a good overview, but I prefer to walk)

If you DO want to walk:
West Village
Times Square
5th Avenue, esp from the library/Bryant Park all the way up to Central Park--hit up Madison Avenue and Grand Central Station while you're at it.
Lincoln Center/Central Park West

Not sure if you like plays/theatre, but if you are even mildly interested in plays, you have to go to the TKTS booth and get a cheap discount ticket for a show. Or if you don't want to stand in line, visit broadwaybox.com. Or get the TKTS app.

As far as food, there are about 50 restaurants per block. I would suggest either getting a recommendation from a concierge or signing up with Zagat for a month. Otherwise, you'll be overwhelmed with choices.

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 5:21pm
Okay, my head is spinning here. I’ll return some feedback. At first, I was sure I wanted this to be a surprise. My wife typically does not like to make decisions regarding where to eat and what to fill a day up with. She likes me to do all the planning. But there’s some serious problems with it.

First, she’s going to have to put in for the time off way ahead. Second, I know nothing about New York City and from the posts here......there’s a lot to know. So I think I’ll plan the general skeleton of the trip and let her define some of the specifics. I can’t picture me going back. I’ll need a month in a hunting cabin to recover.

Im pretty sure I want to drive to the hotel and park. We spent a very nice week in Boston once and rode the subway everywhere we went. Didn’t move the car once. So I have to pick a location and a hotel.

I think she’d enjoy a play over a musical. She’d want to see the 9-11 memorial. Perhaps grand central station. Definitely Times Square, Lincoln Center and Central Park. Perhaps the Statue of Liberty and I like the Hudson River Boat idea. I’d like to go to Yankee Stadium - we have shared interest in baseball.

You guys have given me much to think about.

bae
1-28-18, 5:42pm
I have never needed a car once I am in the city, in fact it’s a PITA to have one there. Public transportation is so good there, and distances so short, that if you are staying anyplace remotely central, you’ll be able to hoof it everywhere.

bae
1-28-18, 5:43pm
The Morgan Library/Museum is one of my favorite spots in NYC.

http://www.themorgan.org

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 5:50pm
If you folks don’t mind....I’m going to have to bounce a few possible home base locations off you for the trip. As soon as I narrow some down. Thanks to everyone for volunteering to help in this endeavor.

rosarugosa
1-28-18, 7:04pm
OK, so just for fun, I asked my DH to imagine we were going on a surprise weekend to NY that he had planned (he has been twice on business trips and I have never been). First of all, let me assure you that this would never actually happen (him planning a surprise weekend). But just for fun . . .
Rosa: where would we stay?
DH: The Algonquin
Rosa: Where would we go?
DH: Central Park, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty.
Perfect score - we need to do this sometime!

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 7:09pm
OK, so just for fun, I asked my DH to imagine we were going on a surprise weekend to NY that he had planned (he has been twice on business trips and I have never been). First of all, let me assure you that this would never actually happen (him planning a surprise weekend). But just for fun . . .
Rosa: where would we stay?
DH: The Algonquin
Rosa: Where would we go?
DH: Central Park, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty.
Perfect score - we need to do this sometime!

:+1:

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 7:19pm
Okay a king room during the period I suspect we’d be going appears to be $242/night and parking info as follows:

Valet parking, fee: 55 USD daily
Valet Daily Parking for Over-sized Vehicles - $65
Off-site parking, fee: 46 USD daily

So if I park there five nights......what’s that costing me?

bae
1-28-18, 7:28pm
Is it possible to catch a train into the city from your home location?

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 7:32pm
Is it possible to catch a train into the city from your home location?

Yes, Amtrak. But that train is so damn unreliable. I will have to research this more.....now. we Are talking about a 372 mile trip. I wonder what two tickets to ride round trip might be?

catherine
1-28-18, 7:35pm
You could drive in, but I highly recommend a NYC parking app like this one: https://nyc.bestparking.com or this one: https://www.parkfast.com

You could park at the Secaucus NJ train station, which is right off the NJ Turnpike, and take the 20 minute train ride in. Here is a TripAdvisor question on the safety of leaving a car there overnight. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g46812-i1750-k7613143-Secaucus_Junction_Overnight_Parking_Question-Secaucus_New_Jersey.html

Another suggestion: Drive to Philly and Amtrak from there.

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 8:09pm
I can drive it in 6 hrs. and the cost for fuel minimal. The train will take over 9 hrs. And looks like several hundred dollars for tickets and I can only carry on luggage on the train, no checked luggage. Plus, I would have to leave my car parked in Pittsburgh for a week which would be costly also. So even if you figure valet service....I think it’s break even.

SteveinMN
1-28-18, 8:21pm
Or drive to north Jersey and park there to take the PATH train. Gotta be cheaper to park in New Jersey for a week than parking a car in Manhattan unless the hotel reimburses you. You aren't likely to need a car and drivers in NYC are ... well, "not patient" for starters. I've driven in the city a few times; I can do it but I'd rather not (especially with a vehicle I valued). I can't imagine navigating NYC streets as an out-of-towner is going to add an essential element to your vacation.

Lesser-known spots that can be fun to visit in NYC (n.b., there's more to NYC than just Manhattan):
- a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (two, actually, to return)
- the Cooper-Hewitt Design museum (on my ilst; not on everyone's)
- Ellis Island (along with the Statue of Liberty; if you just want to see the statue you can do that from a boat)
- a tour of the Steinway piano factory
- a tour of backstage at the Metropolitan Opera House (or, for that matter, visiting Lincoln Center)

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 8:29pm
Or drive to north Jersey and park there to take the PATH train. Gotta be cheaper to park in New Jersey for a week than parking a car in Manhattan unless the hotel reimburses you. You aren't likely to need a car and drivers in NYC are ... well, "not patient" for starters. I've driven in the city a few times; I can do it but I'd rather not (especially with a vehicle I valued). I can't imagine navigating NYC streets as an out-of-towner is going to add an essential element to your vacation.

Lesser-known spots that can be fun to visit in NYC (n.b., there's more to NYC than just Manhattan):
- a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (two, actually, to return)
- the Cooper-Hewitt Design museum (on my ilst; not on everyone's)
- Ellis Island (along with the Statue of Liberty; if you just want to see the statue you can do that from a boat)
- a tour of the Steinway piano factory
- a tour of backstage at the Metropolitan Opera House (or, for that matter, visiting Lincoln Center)

Oh my, my head is starting to hurt. I have a nephew who is a Professor of Physiology at Montclair State University, NJ ....is that anywhere near a place I could park my car and catch some transportation in?

catherine
1-28-18, 8:38pm
Oh my, my head is starting to hurt. I have a nephew who is a Professor of Physiology at Montclair State University, NJ ....is that anywhere near a place I could park my car and catch some transportation in?

Yes, NY is easily accessible from Montclair. It's not real quick (1hr+), but you can do it. Plus Montclair is beautiful.

I would, however, either park in Secaucus or just drive in and park the car for the duration of the trip.

Williamsmith
1-28-18, 8:43pm
Well, I know it would be alright to park at my nephews house and he’d probably host us for a night or two. I could get to the hotel of choice from there, yes? Seeing as how I used to babysit his ass when he was a child....I think he owes me. I want to say he actually lives in Clifton?

This has been a great beginning thanks to you all....much appreciated.

catherine
1-28-18, 8:55pm
Clifton is even closer. Not a bad strategy..

nswef
1-28-18, 9:54pm
Call your nephew!

Zoe Girl
1-29-18, 3:50pm
Well, I know it would be alright to park at my nephews house and he’d probably host us for a night or two. I could get to the hotel of choice from there, yes? Seeing as how I used to babysit his ass when he was a child....I think he owes me. I want to say he actually lives in Clifton?

This has been a great beginning thanks to you all....much appreciated.

Oh yes call a local, everything changes so fast for transportation and lodging and events. It sounds like a lot of fun,

Williamsmith
1-29-18, 6:53pm
I called my nephew today and left a message. He returned the call just as my wife pulled into the drive. Busted! The good news is he lives in Nutley, NJ.....has room for my car inbhis drive....offered to drop us at the local train station which goes directly into Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan. From there we can either walk to the hotel or catch a cab or subway....etc.

My wife was jaw dropping surprised at the news. And yes.....as you all predicted...very happy to be involved in planning the activities. The next step is to decide on a hotel. I am giving serious consideration to the Algonquin that Rosa recommended. I think the time of year we plan going is helping keep prices down.

Things are looking up. Maybe there is something to that three of diamonds after all.

nswef
1-29-18, 9:18pm
The signs are pointing to good news! I know you cannot wish things to happen or not happen, but if you can have something very enjoyable to plan and do it makes a lot of difference. I thought your nephew would be happy to accommodate you and I have to say the Algonquin sounds very cool.

Sad Eyed Lady
1-30-18, 9:55am
If you want to see a particular area (such as the Village) check out Big Apple Greeters. We did this our first time in NYC and had a wonderful experience. It is a free service offered by the City. You just have to apply ahead of time (the sooner the better), you tell a little about yourself and what you want to do and they will match you up with a volunteer from that area. So you can see "the sights" with a native New Yorker. They don't do the touristy things because they say you can easily do them on your own, but for a fun afternoon, inside look at say the Upper East Side, or wherever, it is great. They also get you acquainted with the subway system, bus lines etc. and lots of walking. https://bigapplegreeter.org/
I hope this link works for you.

Williamsmith
1-30-18, 11:55am
If you want to see a particular area (such as the Village) check out Big Apple Greeters. We did this our first time in NYC and had a wonderful experience. It is a free service offered by the City. You just have to apply ahead of time (the sooner the better), you tell a little about yourself and what you want to do and they will match you up with a volunteer from that area. So you can see "the sights" with a native New Yorker. They don't do the touristy things because they say you can easily do them on your own, but for a fun afternoon, inside look at say the Upper East Side, or wherever, it is great. They also get you acquainted with the subway system, bus lines etc. and lots of walking. https://bigapplegreeter.org/
I hope this link works for you.

It works! Thanks

Williamsmith
2-3-18, 9:51pm
Well, I’ve gone cross eyed trying to settle on a hotel out of the over 200 of them in mid manhattan but I finally picked one in the vicinity of W.37th and Fifth Ave. The only conditions set by the wife is that it is not a luxury hotel where you have to tip someone every time the wind blows. I think I successfully hit the middle ground. Not too plush, not too spartan. The important part is it’s location is right in the middle of all that she would want to see. The next hurdle is picking a broadway play or musical. She definitively wants to attend. My daughter started showing me the possibilities and I’ll need some help vetting these shows. What did I do?

nswef
2-3-18, 10:29pm
I've had good reports of "Waitress". "Aladdin"

SteveinMN
2-4-18, 8:07am
The next hurdle is picking a broadway play or musical. She definitively wants to attend. My daughter started showing me the possibilities and I’ll need some help vetting these shows. What did I do?
Let your wife vet the shows. She's really the one who cares about which one you see, no? Tickets to some may be harder to get than others, so maybe pick the "stretch" show (like "Hamilton") and a second show that more has seats/is more affordable.

razz
2-4-18, 8:12am
WS, I wanted to see the opera, La Traviata, at the Met so planned a solo trip there. I took Amtrak, found that I enjoyed the peace and quiet of the train, found a hotel modestly priced but convenient, arrived at Penn Station where a gentleman waiting for a cab advised never to use anything but a Yellow Cab for my security as there are renegade cabs causing problems.

Get a map of the transit system to study now, investigate the various city tours looking at the reviews for feedback and order your tickets for the events or activities that you especially want to see ahead of time.

I walked everywhere but bought a City Pass to see a number of sites for one very reasonable price including MOMA, the Empire State building (heavy security here so go really early), the Hudson River tour, Museum of History and so on. Met Museum of Art is one of a kind and I read that an entry fee is coming at some point as the costs of operating have risen so it will no longer be free. I literally ran from one activity to another as I had only three days.

The hotel staff were very helpful with suggestions and advice. My hotel was above a deli that was open 24 hours a day supplying any hot meals which I took to my room to eat since I was too busy sightseeing during the day. Apparently New Yorkers eat out or bring home their meals with apartments lacking kitchens per se beyond a sink and a microwave according to one friend whose son lives there.

I loved NYC and will go back. I never felt unsafe but used common sense in whatever I did.

Yes, I saw La Traviata which was wonderful but spent 24 hours sleeping after I got home from sheer exhaustion at all that I did.

My only concern about summer in NY is the temp as it will be hot and humid. i went in late February which was the perfect time and temp for seeing everything at a modest cost, free of masses of tourists doing the same thing.

rosarugosa
2-4-18, 8:32am
I was interested in seeing "Waitress" in Boston, but at $225 per ticket, I decided I wasn't quite that interested.

catherine
2-4-18, 8:41am
Don't forget to find discount seats at broadwaybox.com

I just took a look at what's discounted on that site and it's a totally personal decision, but I'd do:

A Standard:
Hello Dolly (Bette Midler is no longer headlining, but Bernadette Peters is Dolly now, and I really like her)
Carousel (I LOVE this musical. Haven't seen this production, but it's a tried and true)
Chicago

A more modern standard
Wicked: Around for a couple of decades but a great, fun show

Latest Tony Winner
Dear Evan Hansen: I'd only go if Ben Platt is still in it. Not sure if I personally would connect with the subject matter of teen angst, but it's the latest hot thing, so..

Play rather than musical?
Nah. You're in NYC for the first time See a musical.

And here's a New York Magazine article about some brand new shows hitting Broadway in 2018 to make the decision even harder. http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/upcoming-new-broadway-off-broadway-shows-2018.html

Williamsmith
2-4-18, 10:58am
Neither my wife nor I know anything about plays or musicals. We are going to be there in late August. Hot. Nothing new because this is when we always travel. I’m kinda disappointed because Madison Square Gardens has Billy Joel the day after we leave.

I thought of Carousel. Chicago. Lots to consider. I wonder if she’d rather go fishing in Montana?

catherine
2-4-18, 11:08am
I’m kinda disappointed because Madison Square Gardens has Billy Joel the day after we leave.

Can you adjust your schedule? Shoot, you're a 10 minute walk to MSG from your hotel!

Williamsmith
2-4-18, 11:27am
Can you adjust your schedule? Shoot, you're a 10 minute walk to MSG from your hotel!

I could adjust my schedule but I’d have to adjust my budget another $1000. Ugh!

nswef
2-4-18, 11:53am
It might be worth it!

SteveinMN
2-4-18, 2:00pm
Billy Joel ain't gettin' any younger! Just sayin'....

Williamsmith
2-5-18, 10:44am
Okay so Catherine and SteveinMN convinced me. I’m within walking distance of the Garden and it is true....Billy Joel ain’t gettin any younger. So I modified my arrival time, extended my departure time and scarfed up two tickets on presale this morning to see the concert. So now I’m spending three days and four nights in the Big Apple.

Next challenge is settle on a musical. I’m already seeing the budget getting squeezed but 35 years don’t come around all that often and we’ve got six months to squirrel away the funds.

Teacher Terry
2-5-18, 11:28am
I really want to see Hamilton but heard it is super expensive and sold out way in advance. Chicago would be a great musical to see.

Williamsmith
2-5-18, 3:03pm
Hamilton missed the cut. Hip hop and liberal politics. I just want to be entertained....not preached to.

nswef
2-5-18, 4:25pm
I don't want to pay for noise and drama....I want to be happily entertained, too. Not too much dancing of any sort either. I've liked Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Beauty and the Beast (did not see all these on Broadway, but on stages by pros), Wicked, Lion King, Aida- not my favorite, though. I want to like the music and somewhat of a story. If you've never seen a Broadway show, though, most any pleasant musical is fun.

Williamsmith
2-5-18, 4:31pm
I don't want to pay for noise and drama....I want to be happily entertained, too. Not too much dancing of any sort either. I've liked Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Beauty and the Beast (did not see all these on Broadway, but on stages by pros), Wicked, Lion King, Aida- not my favorite, though. I want to like the music and somewhat of a story. If you've never seen a Broadway show, though, most any pleasant musical is fun.

Waitress is getting the nod from the wife. It looks like the broadway box.com site discounts tickets up to 47% but you need to wait to within a month of the show? Is this right?

catherine
2-5-18, 4:37pm
Waitress is getting the nod from the wife. It looks like the broadway box.com site discounts tickets up to 47% but you need to wait to within a month of the show? Is this right?

The way I'm reading it is the discount price is a limited time, ending March 29. This may be because this is kind of a dead time on Broadway. I think you can either pay regular price for the date you want, or you can take a chance and wait until closer to the time to see if other discounts open up--or REALLY take a chance and see if you can get the tix day off!

Williamsmith
2-5-18, 5:52pm
The way I'm reading it is the discount price is a limited time, ending March 29. This may be because this is kind of a dead time on Broadway. I think you can either pay regular price for the date you want, or you can take a chance and wait until closer to the time to see if other discounts open up--or REALLY take a chance and see if you can get the tix day off!

Gotcha. Okay, what’s in the back of my mind is that Waitress seems to be a show that is anticipated to be in demand so.......maybe I’ll just lock down some decent tickets and forget it.

nswef
2-5-18, 6:03pm
Once they are paid for don't look for cheaper!!

razz
2-5-18, 9:19pm
Once they are paid for don't look for cheaper!! In prime holiday season, nothing will be cheaper. Choose what you want to do, pay for it to be sure that you get to do it and then let it go and enjoy this special occasion for the both of you.

jp1
2-7-18, 9:35pm
I'm so jealous! You're going to the best city on the planet! And it sounds like you've got a great deal with parking at your nephew's. Nutley isn't far at all from the city. Personally summer was always my favorite time of year when I lived there. You may end up with absurdly hot weather, but you also may luck out and just have really nice, warm weather. The only thing I didn't like about summer in the city was having to dress for work and then take the subway. You definitely won't need to pack jackets or any kind of cool weather stuff, even for the evenings. And august is usually a relatively quiet time in the city because a lot of people are on vacation or at least going away for the weekends.

Although the subway is intimidating, I do recommend taking it at least once or twice just for the experience. Buses are also a decent way to get around and still be able to see the city. They just take longer. Walking is often almost as fast.

Look into circle line cruises. I assume they still do a trip all the way around manhattan. It's a great way to see a lot, get a bit of a history lesson, and they get pretty close to the statue of liberty, so unless you feel the need to actually hike to the top of the statue you won't need to do a seperate trip to see that. If you do want to go up in the statue buy the tickets now. They sell out fast.

As for museums MOMA and the Metropolitan are both amazing. Natural History is good too but I didn't find it to be that much more impressive than denver's so if you've already seen a good natural history museum elsewhere it may not be worth your limited time. (of course the last time I went to denver's natural history museum was probably 38 years ago, so take my opinion on this with a grain of salt.) Note that the Metropolitan Museum has a "suggested" admission. The signs will have the dollar amounts they'd like you to give but it's pay what you want. When I first moved to NYC I went a lot but would only stay an hour or two, and focus on just a small section of the museum each time, so I would give them a buck each time, figuring that over time I was giving them a full admission price and also over time seeing the full museum. Looking at MOMA's website it looks like they have free admission from 4-8pm on Fridays but expect crowds, at least during the first couple of hours.

The new freedom tower and the empire state both have amazing views. But you don't necessarily need to do both unless you have the time. If you do decide to do both I'd plan for doing one in daytime and one after dark.

Times' Square is way more awesome at night when it's all lit up.

If you have the time/inclination to take a walk through central park make sure to swing by John Lennon's Strawberry Fields memorial, just across from the Dakota Apartments.

Lastly, from a practical standpoint you should look into the City Pass. I don't know about NY's but the London one ended up being a good value for us. It included unlimited transit and most of the museums we wanted to go to were included for free as part of the package.

And one warning. Try not to be too shocked at how small the hotel room is. It will likely be half the size of any hotel room you've ever stayed in. That's normal. Even high end hotels are this way. The hilton that SO worked for went so far as to do stuff like have all the lights attached to the walls rather than taking up floor space or space on the tiny bedside table because space was at such a premium.

Williamsmith
2-8-18, 6:10pm
Appreciate the information jp1, if you ever go hunting in Penns Woods I could fill you in on the best venison on the planet! :~)

Packratona!
2-15-18, 3:42am
Personally, I liked just taking Amtrak in to Grand Central then taking the subway, walking, buses everywhere. So much fun and easier.

Simplemind
2-15-18, 11:17am
We came in on Amtrak as well. Loved learning how to ride the subway and walking. So many sights to see as well as many missed. Can't wait to go back.

Packratona!
2-22-18, 5:22pm
We came in on Amtrak as well. Loved learning how to ride the subway and walking. So many sights to see as well as many missed. Can't wait to go back.

Chinatown!

Williamsmith
8-26-18, 8:30pm
Well, I’m Back!

When I was brainstorming this trip to celebrate my 35th wedding anniversary with my soulmate.....I had in mind a theme .......”Starting Over”. Inspired by John Lennon’s song of the same title, I hoped to kick off my next 35 years of marriage. Time does “go by so quickly.”

I can report a very very successful and enjoyable time was had by both of us. We stayed in a nice hotel in Mid Manhattan near Bryant Park. Jp1.....yes the room was small....but we had a clear view of the empire state building out our window. And it was convenient to not have to get up to reach most things in the room.

I made it to Central Park, Strawberry Fields, The Dakota, Trump Tower, St Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Madison Square Garden, Ellis Island, The Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, 911 Museum and Memorial, Queens, Citifield, Broadway, Macy’s, American Girl and the 86th floor of the Empire State Building.

I road the train, Uber and walked and walked and walked some more. Waitress was a neat musical experience except the theatre built in 1926 had seats built for 1926 midgets. Billy Joel was awesome in concert and his surprise guest...Bryan Adams was also.

I ate a couple meals that topped a hundred dollars and some of the best pizza I’ve ever had. I overdosed on cheesecake more than once. I finished the trip with one night in the Poconos. All in all....it probably couldn’t have gone better.

“Let’s take a chance and fly away,”...........

https://youtu.be/pZCxyOcvp5A

SteveinMN
8-26-18, 8:45pm
I'm glad to see that you had such a great trip, Williamsmith! It's a trip and memories you and your wife will remember fondly forever.

catherine
8-26-18, 10:06pm
Wow! You covered a lot of ground on that trip! Good job! And what a great theme song.
Thanks for giving us the update!

razz
8-26-18, 10:38pm
Sounds like a lot of fun! Great that it all worked out so well.

Simplemind
8-27-18, 12:12am
Sounds GREAT. You got to experience a bunch. I'm pretty excited that we are going to finish our trip to Canada with a couple of days in NY and hope to catch a few things we missed the first time.

Teacher Terry
8-27-18, 12:12am
Sounds like a great trip!

Williamsmith
8-27-18, 1:37am
This photo seems to represent the “majesty” of the city for me. I just looked up while walking and snapped it at the perfect moment I think. It can definitely be an overwhelming place and challenging to find a peaceful space but the various parks within the city were truly thoughtful in their locations. Bryant Park was especially “hipster. They were laying out hundreds of yoga mats for people in a class. At the same time hordes of people were having after work drinks and talking while other were playing tournaments of chess and MaJong and dominoes. Definitely a “bustling” town but all the chaos seemed to harnessed into a singular purposeful fine tuned engine.

Williamsmith
8-27-18, 1:45am
At Times Square, I was aware of the consumer aspect of tourism. But many were out for a Broadway show. This is where the diversity of people attracted to the city seemed most apparent.

Williamsmith
8-27-18, 1:54am
A view of Mid to Lower Manhattan from the 86th floor of the Empire State Building. There are lots and lots of people down there.

Williamsmith
8-27-18, 2:07am
Someone you know waiting on lunch at Rockefeller Plaza where they ice skate in the winter.

rosarugosa
8-27-18, 5:48am
I'm glad your trip was a success! Happy Anniversary.

Float On
8-27-18, 11:36am
Your Manhattan view is frame-able! Love that shot.
So glad you all had a great trip.

frugal-one
8-28-18, 3:16pm
We are going to NY week after next. I am psyched!

Glad you had a great trip! Hoping for the same!

jp1
9-6-18, 9:42pm
So glad to hear that you had a great trip! Sounds like it was jam packed with fun stuff! And I love your attitude about the petite sized hotel room. NYC isn't about fancy hotel rooms anyway. At least not unless you have rich person money for staying in hotels.

Williamsmith
9-8-18, 6:35am
I want to thank those who provided information and advice. No doubt, the trip was a success in part because of your kindness.

nswef
9-8-18, 4:12pm
I'm glad to hear you had a great trip. You covered LOTS of sights.

Yppej
9-8-18, 4:38pm
Now you are making me want to go, but I woukd do it as a very long day trip (4 hours driving each way). There is no place like New York anfpd I have not been since the 80's.

frugal-one
9-10-18, 4:27pm
In NY now and continual rain probably because of hurricane Gordon. Forecast is rain all week. Still very interesting ... not much you can do. Sad thing is it is sunny and 80s at home all week. Glad I prepared and have proper clothing!

sweetana3
9-10-18, 4:52pm
We are on vacation in Pittsburgh and there are flooded areas. Rivers running fast and high. Rain tapering off.

Teacher Terry
9-10-18, 5:34pm
NY hs too much to see an do to just go for a day even if you can drive.

nswef
9-10-18, 5:46pm
I agree with Teacher Terry, staying just one night would let you enjoy more of the sights.

Yppej
9-10-18, 6:24pm
I could spend a whole year there and not run out of things to see, but it's expensive. I have lived in New England almost 50 years and am still finding new sights to see here, and New York is much attraction dense. I have barely scratched the surface with South Street Seaport, United Nations, Empire State Building, Metropolitan Museum of Art., Williamsburg, Harlem, Battery Park, Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, New York Stock Exchange, Fifth Avenue, the George Washington Bridge/Hudson River, Grand Central Station, Central Park, Times Square, the Dakota Apartments/Hotel exterior, and the Whitney Museum. I also saw the Puerto Rican Day parade. I recommend any and all of these.

frugal-one
9-11-18, 6:36am
We are going to all 5 burroughs and using all modes of transport.... subway, bus, ferries, train. Today looks like the weather will be better!

Williamsmith
9-11-18, 8:11am
We are going to all 5 burroughs and using all modes of transport.... subway, bus, ferries, train. Today looks like the weather will be better!

I used Uber and found it to be reasonable and actually user friendly. Although some of the drivers spoke no English and some seemed to be rather nervous especially when they are getting chewed out by a NYPD traffic cop. But for the most part thye seemed to have a system that works.

Teacher Terry
9-11-18, 1:37pm
San Francisco is about the same distance from us. We once went for a day and it was too exhausting driving that far and only spending the day. I find good deals on hotels.com. Yes we love Uber. Always use it while traveling.

Yppej
9-11-18, 5:24pm
I don't have a smart phone so Uber would be out for me. Basic service saves me $30 a month.