PDA

View Full Version : Pets - what does your cat do that is unique or funny

kally
5-15-11, 5:02pm
Picture this - Billy is an adopted 16 lb cat. He is white all over and has cancer on his ear tips so they keep getting cut off and are getting shorter and shorter. He sort of looks like a pirate cat.

Every night when I have a bath he comes along with me. He sits on the mat and demands that I pour warm water droplets over him. Then he licks them to clean his fur and saves himself from having to produce all that saliva.

He finishes with a drink from the bath. So my baths smell like wet blankets.:(

your turn with your cat.

iris lily
5-15-11, 5:49pm
Rachel is very smart and responsible in our group of cats. She is the worrier of the group--the rest are indifferent to most things. When their automatic feeder gets low, she starts hovering around me, staring at me, her ears ****ed in worry. She's not demanding about it, she is always polite and respectful but she certainly is worried when that food container gets low.

Sarah has to sleep with me with her chest to my chest and her face next to my face. She insists on this. She was my mom's cat so I suppose my mom slept with her this way.

herbgeek
5-15-11, 6:13pm
Wow, there are so many. My girl cat is more peculiar. She's the time keeper in the family. She insists that I wake up when hubby gets up, but she seems to understand the idea of weekends and doesn't wake me then. She is also insistent of me keeping regular working hours (I've been working at home) and at 5 oclock she starts making a lot of noise and motioning me to move from the office to the living room. Its eerie how its always within 10 minutes of 5 pm. She must have her treats then, and often she wants to be brushed. She also will let me know when the automatic feeder or waterer is low, and she likes to drink the water out of the bathtub, but only when its fresh. She makes me run the tub for her.

The boy cat is the thermometer in the family. If its 55 degrees or more outside, he will sleep on the porch or outside, otherwise he's in the house. He's a big suck up, loves petting and will adjust himself so that you are petting just the right place. In the summer, he insists on eating on the porch. He motions with his head that he wants the plate to be moved outside. He will also "ask" me to go outside to keep him company in the summer and will swat at me if I try to go back inside. He taps on the kitchen door to be let in, and will tap me if he needs something and I'm ignoring him.

Such completely different personalities, but both delightful in their own way.

Rosemary
5-15-11, 6:17pm
One of our cats goes nuts when my DD practices her violin. She tries to climb up her legs and meows so much that you can barely hear the violin. We have to shut the cat in another room!

redfox
5-15-11, 6:21pm
Bandit the big ol' black n white cat showers with my husband, and chews on the firewood. We've decided he's actually a Labrador Retriever in a cat's body - so we often say 'bad dog' to him when he's being particularly naughty. He's just such a hunk, and really loving.

Cleo, his sissy, an all-white princess with green eyes, is Ms. Fastidious. She's fine-boned to his square build, and loves to pose just so. She's more aloof with her affections, and quick to decide she's had enough, thank you. She reminds me of the Degas ballet dancers posing. I wonder if she knows what a beauty she is? (She's my Avatar photo done up on the Macbook in that wild color scheme.)

They were feral babies we found at 4 weeks of age, sick and scrawny. Five years later, with lots of good food, love, and being raised indoors, they are super healthy and we both adore them. And they work it!

"Dogs have companions, cats have staff."

setis
5-15-11, 6:41pm
Well there is Bubba, first cat I have ever had that does not purr.He is what I have been told is a silver tipped himalayan.Extremely laid back. He loves being brushed as long as it is only his back. Lets me pet his belly,but," you want to do what with that" is the look he gives me when i try brush his belly.He is long haired black with silver winter coat the hair next to his skin is snow white.He sleeps at my feet.Then there is Lucille she loves to excape to the outside.She loves it when someone comes over and not too quick with getting the door shut. I don't allow them out too many ways get killed. Then we have Bubba s son. Lucille is fixed. friend had a female she said just had to have a litter before she had her spade,like the cat will turn 40 and say i wish i had a baby.Well Eintsein. he loves paper and he purrs very loud and hollers all night long. There is a stray tom I call Tom who came one day and told me how hungry he was because of Bubba he can't come in house.In winter he comes on the back porch he says out.He is fixed and at one time belonged to someone. He was tortured by some local thugs pulled out his teeth. He was also declawed and had no defense. he loves trucks there is an abandoned one next door he claims and any that anyone leaves the door open to.He brought home a female and she brought another.

Sad Eyed Lady
5-15-11, 7:19pm
I have never had a cat, nor seen a cat, do what my little black Manx does. He turns complete flips, somersaults! He just started doing this on his own when we had had him awhile and he has never stopped. Sometimes 4 or 5 in a row! I think it is an attention thing, (yes, I can see where this would get attention), and so darn cute. We had friends here once and he was in the middle of the floor and started tumbling until he ended upside down against one of the guest's shoes. It is so deliberate, he tucks him chin and rolls. Would love to catch him in the act and video it, but it is always just spontaneous and over with quickly.

Sad Eyed Lady
5-15-11, 7:21pm
One of our cats goes nuts when my DD practices her violin. She tries to climb up her legs and meows so much that you can barely hear the violin. We have to shut the cat in another room!

Maybe the sound hurts her ears? Certain pitch I think is hard for some cats to tolerate.

kally
5-15-11, 8:04pm
i am jealous. Billy can't do somersaults, but he does do a kind of a flip down the leg.

hlhart2001
5-22-11, 6:38pm
Our cat Petunia has never learned to just come to the door and meow to be let in...she must hurl herself up onto the screen, feet splayed and hang there like she is a velcro kitty. You never know when she is going to do it so we haven't been able to break her of it. Our couch faces one of the doors and one day she just appeared there while some visitors were sitting on it...it scared the bejeezus out of them. And that is my story;)

Rosemary
5-22-11, 6:53pm
My best friend since high school had a cat that came in and out of the house via her second-story bedroom window. I don't know how she climbed up there, but she would tap on the window when it wasn't open!

Astrid, our cat that died last night, was very social. She would sit with me and gently pat my face with her paw. Her favorite place in our house was the kitchen sink, which, luckily, is one of those standard double sinks, so I could work in the kitchen with one side of the sink while she sat in the other. People who hadn't been to our house before were always startled to see a cat in the sink. It never really seemed odd to me, having lived with cats my whole life, but one day a friend was here with her 3-year old and the child thought it was absolutely hilarious that we had a cat in the sink!

pinkytoe
5-22-11, 9:26pm
Our cat, Tomas, has a pet string for lack of a better description. It is two old black shoelaces tied together that he drags all over the house and then tries to hump. It reminds me of a toddler with a blankie. He never feels quite secure unless he has his string with him. He gets quite upset if he can't find it.

Gizmo
5-23-11, 6:11pm
Our cat, Tomas, has a pet string for lack of a better description. It is two old black shoelaces tied together that he drags all over the house and then tries to hump. It reminds me of a toddler with a blankie. He never feels quite secure unless he has his string with him. He gets quite upset if he can't find it.

My cat Nightmare has one certain blanket that he LOVES and he does this with it as well. A couple of times we folded itup and put it in the closet, and he walked around the house yowling looking for his 'special' blanket.

My other cat, Indiana Jones, jumps sideways and backwards when he gets spooked. Its pretty funny. One time he jumped sideways and backwards from the floor right onto the seat of one of the kitchen chairs.