PDA

View Full Version : 2 mile challenge

Anne Lee
5-17-11, 12:57pm
The 2Mile Challenge is an initiative started by Clif Bars to promote biking in lieu of short car trips.

http://2milechallenge.com/pages/about/

I'm on the red team. Is anyone else doing this challenge?

Float On
5-17-11, 2:36pm
Would love to but 2 miles in either direction of my house is either straight up or straight down (I'm on a cliff road), and town is another 3 miles beyond that. I bike better on flat roads.

razz
5-17-11, 6:33pm
Sheesh, I walk that every day to exercise myself and the dog. Isn't it incredible that 90% of the car trips are that distance

puglogic
5-17-11, 7:44pm
I'd love to, but I'm out in the sticks and more than two miles from almost everything. I feel good about combining all my trips into one weekly jaunt, though. Wonderful program - thanks for posting it, Anne Lee!!

Miss Cellane
5-17-11, 9:52pm
Well, hanging my head here and admitting that I'm too scared to ride my bike down the main street in my town. It's a very urban area and there's tons of traffic. Many people do ride their bikes on the street, but I'm a coward. I stick to the bike paths.

However, I do walk when an errand is within a mile, and if I have time, within two miles. I take the bus for errands that are in town and don't require lugging heavy things back home. Mostly I take the car out for trips to the supermarket and pet store. I probably could deal with 40 pounds of cat litter on the bus, it's the 1.5 mile walk from the store to the bus stop that would do me in.

You know, all the places I've lived, either there's nothing within two miles to bike to, or there's too many cars on narrow streets to make it safe to bike. I end up doing a lot of walking.

davidmcowan
5-17-11, 11:37pm
Anne Lee,
Way to go! I'm doing it and I'm on the red team too! (mainly because I work for the SRTS National Partnership) Get to pedaling we need every mile.

Anne Lee
5-18-11, 9:20am
Miss Cellane, have you ever taken a class from the League of American Bicyclists? I haven't yet, but in visiting with the instructor I realized that I probably needed some training and practice to help me get over my fears. ETA: I wonder if you are required to bike or if you can post the driving you replace with walking? Personally, I would post my walking miles too (not exercise walking but transportation walking) because 1) walking achieves the end result of reduced CO2 emissions and 2) bicycle and pedestrian issues are often the same.

David, Go Big Red! I rode 3.3 miles for a 2.4 mile car trip. I wonder which figure I enter...