PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Lettice Recipe Help

Jemima
5-20-11, 11:01am
I planted two large pots of leaf lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson) earlier this spring, and thanks to all the rain we've had recently, my pots overfloweth. Aside from salad, wilted greens, compost, or giving it away, any ideas on what I can do with all the excess?

Rosemary
5-20-11, 12:22pm
Use it for wraps for chicken salad or other things like that. Use it on sandwiches. Slice it finely and use it on tacos or in summer rolls.

Jemima
5-22-11, 2:18pm
Use it for wraps for chicken salad or other things like that. Use it on sandwiches. Slice it finely and use it on tacos or in summer rolls.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to try sauteeing it in olive oil and garlic, too. All the recipes I've seen for wilted greens seem to involve bacon fat or sugar and vinegar.

Tiam
5-23-11, 5:38pm
There are recipes for lettuce soup. I've never tried one.http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lettuce-Soup-231995 There are also recipes that involve stir frying it.

Gardenarian
5-23-11, 5:57pm
Yes, lettuce is great in soup; when I have some wilty lettuce I chop it up and throw it in lentil soup. You can also substite it for other greens (spinach, kale, chard) in casseroles, pasta dishes, etc.

Jemima
5-25-11, 11:08am
Thanks, Tiam and Gardenarian. I'm going to try that lettuce soup recipe.