PDA

View Full Version : Where does this phrase come from?

herbgeek
3-30-19, 8:20am
On my town's Facebook page, I often see requests phrased like this:

Best plumber. And GO!

Is this from some TV show? I find it kinda rude and demanding, like I'm supposed to immediately drop what I'm doing and attend to this person's posting. And often there is no context given, just the phrase I put above. Have you seen this? What do you think of it? Am I just an old fuddy duddy out of touch with the times? (Don't answer that last one, I know the answer to that is YES :D)

JaneV2.0
3-30-19, 8:37am
Yes, I've seen that. And yes, it annoys me the same way. Another old fuddy duddy heard from. >:(

Sad Eyed Lady
3-30-19, 8:53am
No, have never seen that one. But thanks for the heads up, because I'm sure I will be seeing it soon!

iris lilies
3-30-19, 10:42am
I havent seen this and
I read a lot of Nextdoor messages.

Gardnr
3-30-19, 11:26am
Sure, I've seen it many times. It's the current "way" to get recommendations on your inquiry. Apparently I find it neither offensive or rude.

rosarugosa
3-30-19, 11:29am
Sure, I've seen it many times. It's the current "way" to get recommendations on your inquiry. Apparently I find it neither offensive or rude.

I've often seen it and it doesn't really bother me either.

JaneV2.0
3-30-19, 12:55pm
Lots of things on FB and other social media annoy me. I should probably avoid them altogether.

catherine
3-30-19, 1:03pm
Here is my list of annoying FB things:
--Pictures of meals at nice restaurants
--Selfie pictures of pedicured toes and a glass of wine in the foreground and a sparkling blue pool in the background
--"Bet I won't get one share"
--Political memes that don't make sense
--Sponsored posts
--People who post incessantly and clog up my feed (I have one friend who posts 75+ things a day, mostly shares--who cares?)
--Hackneyed quotes/memes
--Old memes that Snopes shot down years ago
--Nostalgia memes "Who remembers [dial telephones, coming home when streetlight went on, the Good Humor truck]
--People who change their profile pic every week

ToomuchStuff
3-30-19, 1:32pm
Text speak started it, AFAIK.

SteveinMN
3-30-19, 3:03pm
Actually, I think it came from the book (and subsequent film) "High Fidelity", in which John Cusack's character whiles away time at his record store with his none-too-busy employees compiling "Top 5" lists of just about anything you can think of: top 5 favorite books; top five songs about death; top 5 side one, track ones, top 5 most memorable breakups, etc.