PDA

View Full Version : living out a childhood dream

beckyliz
1-5-11, 11:10am
I'm starting ballet lessons this evening!!! :D My daughter has been taking ballet at this studio since she was 3 (okay, its was "creative movement" the first few years). She's now on pointe (11 1/2 years old). I'm trying not to be pushy and live through her, really!

At any rate, at Parent's Watch Week last month, I was watching her class do barre work, stretching and dancing and thought - what a great workout - I would love to learn to do that (not the pointe stuff). The following week, the studio owner sent out an e-mail asking of any adults (presumably parents of current dancers) were interested in taking a class! SQUEE! I have to get some shoes this afteroon, but she said I could wear what i want, so, will show up in yoga pants and a workout shirt (tights and leotard? I don't think so).

Just need to verify that this class WILL NOT be participating in the spring recital.:|(

Are you trying anything new this year?

DarkStar
1-5-11, 12:52pm
I'm teaching myself to play the recorder. And I'm going to take up the keyboard again, if I can find one suitable for a beginner that's not too "beginnerish".

Simplemind
1-5-11, 1:26pm
My son is starting to teach music lessons and I am having him teach me piano. I wish I would have taken tandem lessons with him when he started. It isn't coming easy and it gives me a great appreciation for those that are naturals.

beckyliz
1-5-11, 3:12pm
Simplemind - I have an organizing client who is a piano professor; her finances are kind of tight, but she needs help! I'm thinking of trading an hour of keyboard lessons for an hour of organizing. I took lessons as a kid, but quit (mom was right - I'm sorry). Would love to be able to play.

Mighty Frugal
1-5-11, 8:07pm
beckyliz, you are living my dream! Would love to do ballet!
I began working out at a gym this week. First time in over a decade. Feels good to use muscles that have remained dormant for so long!

Spartana
1-6-11, 1:46pm
I started a mixed martial arts class 5 nights a week. I've done traditional martial arts for years but this is new to me. I like that it is less structured and rigid than traditional martial arts. leaves you freer to try out different things without having to be exact in form.

pony mom
1-7-11, 10:19pm
I played the flute from grade school all the way through high school and played in concert and marching band. There is a small 'symphony' in my area that plays classical pieces and gives free concerts. I love classical music and have started practicing when I can with the hope of joining this fall. The members are volunteers and you don't need to audition. Good thing since I haven't really picked up my flute in 25 years. Where else would I be able to play well-known classical pieces with a string section?!! I even found a very simple elegant black dress in the Salvation Army for $3 to wear for their concerts (men wear tuxes).

Enjoy your ballet class! I took up tap dancing in my early 20s and loved it! You can't help but be happy when you're tapping.

iris lily
1-7-11, 11:28pm
bl, I am in AWE of you! Way to GO!

I fancied myself a bit of a dancer and went to a dance exercise class one day. ha. ha. yeh. I lasted, and I'm not kidding, lss than two minutes. There was no one else in the class. The very young teacher was, I think, overly optimistic about what her pupils with no dance training could do. HOnestly, I couldn't follow the movements.

beckyliz
1-10-11, 1:15pm
Class was pretty fun last week! There were 3 of us. I admit, that I do not like that big wall mirror LOL! First position was a bit of challenge for 51 yo knees, that, plus the fact that I'm carrying around an extra 80-90 pounds! Oh well! It was great to stretch and use my brain and body at the same time. That's the cool thing, I've found, about being middle aged. I don't really care what others may think of how I look (not that anyone said anything, of course).

Onward!

iris lily
1-10-11, 2:10pm
oh ch*t, the wall mirror. Yet another reason why you are one smokin' brave woman.

Reyes
1-10-11, 5:04pm
I've long been a gym person, been going for 20+ years, usually 4-6 times a week. I like cardio machines and free weights. I've never been into classes. However, a groups of friends decided to get together and attend a Boot Camp fitness class that meets three mornings a week, at the crack of dawn (6-7am) and I love it! It is very different from gym-type group classes. It is held at a martial arts facility and is very fast paced. This morning was the first class and I am feeling awfully proud of myself for getting up at 5:20 am (!!!) and working very hard. I will still do my normal gym stuff and pilates, and am thrilled to add this new adventure into my week.

RosieTR
1-15-11, 11:16pm
Fantastic! I was just talking with friends today about how cool it is when people take up something new at an older age. Hope you continue to enjoy the class, BL!