PDA

View Full Version : Escaping...

happystuff
7-12-20, 11:26am
This is the link I always have open on my computer lately: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/cornell-lab-feederwatch/

When I've had enough of various online negativity and, yes, crap! - I'll pop over to the tab with this link and just watch. For me, it is my online "escape" from any work I'm doing or just bad visits to some websites.

Anyone else? How do you "escape"? (Besides the obvious 'turn off the computer and walk away' - ROFLOL)

razz
7-12-20, 6:09pm
Totally agree that watching nature is a wonderful way of refreshing one's thinking.

I love the Decorah Eagle cam seeing the eaglets grow which was mentioned here on SLF. https://sportsmansparadiseonline.com/bald-eagle-cams/decorah-bald-eagle-nest/

It lead me to the the Wild Earth African Safari's which I watch on Youtube the same day of the safari.

The Rainforest https://sportsmansparadiseonline.com/rainforest-bird-and-critter-cam/ has shown me a variety of birds and other wildlife.

I feel as though I am snorkeling on https://sportsmansparadiseonline.com/deerfield-beach-underwater-fish-cam/

happystuff
7-12-20, 6:12pm
razz, thank you so much for the links! I loved watching the Decorah eagles as well. I love it when I go check out the cam and they are NOT there - off doing what they are supposed to be doing - LOL. I've seen the Panama fruit feeder as well - such colorful birds! The other link is new to me - thanks!

JaneV2.0
7-12-20, 6:45pm
Books, naps, cat/kitten videos, Nature outside my window, good food.

catherine
7-12-20, 9:27pm
Sometimes I'll tool around on ancestry.com. Or I'll go to optimize.me and listen to a book excerpt. Explore my Pinterest boards, which are centered on home decor and gardening. Or just follow a bunny trail by hopping from Wikipedia article to Wikipedia article... I might start with a random word or idea and just see where it goes. That's my most fun thing to do. So, look up Broadway play Hamilton, then look up Lin-Manuel Miranda, then look up reviews of the book that Hamilton was based on, then look up bios of the cast members of Hamilton, then listen to the opening number of Hamilton... it goes on and on for hours.. That's. my escape.. Alice in Wikipedialand.

Tybee
7-18-20, 4:21pm
I look at old needlepoint kits and china and Copco pans from the 70's on ebay. It's very soothing.

happystuff
7-19-20, 8:19am
I've been reading more. Escaping into Jules Verne right now. lol.

Anne Lee
7-25-20, 12:47pm
Explore.org has lots of live cams. My favorite during the summer is the brown bears of Katmai National Park. https://explore.org/livecams/currently-live/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

ConnieVarricchio
7-29-20, 11:53pm
I go outside, walk around my property and I always seem to find something to do outside. Either picking berries, pulling weeds, weed eating, moving my flowers around, mowing the lawn, or watering the plants. There is always something. It is good to get the projects done and I feel a sense of accomplishment.

Tybee
8-1-20, 10:30am
Swimming in Lake Michigan! We go again today.

iris lilies
8-1-20, 10:39am
I am escaping into the uncharted for me land of ancient dead relatives. My cousin sent me links to Findagrave that set me off on this path. Funny thing is my cousin is not even from the side of the family I’m exploring, he’s from the other side of the family. But I have concluded, along with cousin, that our joint ancestor is so dead ended that will never find the answer to who he was where he came from. And he’s a recent immigrant. Our only hope is one of these DNA matches.

iris lilies
8-1-20, 10:47am
I am escaping into the uncharted for me land of ancient dead relatives. My cousin sent me links to Findagrave that set me off on this path. Funny thing is my cousin is not even from the side of the family I’m exploring, he’s from the other side of the family. But I have concluded, along with cousin, that our joint ancestor is so dead ended we will never find the answer to who he was where he came from. And he’s a recent immigrant. Our only hope is A DNA matched near descendant.

razz
8-1-20, 3:49pm
I wonder how many of those on this site have had their DNA test. I haven't and not curious enough to spend the $$.

JaneV2.0
8-1-20, 3:54pm
I have, with a predictably boring result, though I have considerably more German heritage than I thought.

My SO had a much more interesting profile with Spanish/Iberian, Native American, and some Jewish ancestry, with a sprinkling of other ethnicities thrown in.

iris lilies
8-1-20, 4:09pm
My own DNA analysis is just the way I like it, no spice. 95% British Isles. This explains my bland white bread Karen sort of existence, haha. The only spice
I wanted was a Scottish ?Highlander back there but cannot find him.

sweetana3
8-1-20, 4:23pm
My brother is deep in genealogy and had his done. So I kind of piggyback on that one. Husband had his done and it helped a new first cousin find his bio family. Husband likes to do the research in down time. Keeps him occupied and the stories are fascinating. His family came over in the 1600s, mine in the early 1800s. Some of his distant relatives were with the early Mormon church. Love the stories.

Tybee
8-1-20, 6:33pm
I had mine done. 83% England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe (German and Swiss). 12% Scottish and Irish. 3% Norwegian and 2% Swedish.

They do reanalyze it ever so often--used to be 86% English, 19% Irish and Scottish, presumably Gaelic. But I think they moved Wales around--that is Gaelic, as well.

happystuff
8-2-20, 10:41am
My kids were gifted Ancestry tests a couple years ago, but they were not impressed with the results. Based on input from other adoptees, 23AndMe seems to provide more relevant info for them. Not sure if any of them have done that one.

For myself, doesn't interest me, as my family is composed of biological and non-biological members.

Teacher Terry
8-2-20, 12:04pm
No surprises here. My mom was German and Polish and my dad Irish and English. Your dna will be different amounts than siblings depending on what genes you inherit from each parent. I have much more of my dad’s than my mom.

Alan
8-2-20, 12:18pm
They do reanalyze it ever so often--used to be 86% English, 19% Irish and Scottish, presumably Gaelic. But I think they moved Wales around--that is Gaelic, as well.
Yes they do change things fairly often. I took the test a year or so ago and I think I'm now on my third set of results. 57% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe, 33% Ireland and Scotland, 5% Norway and 5% Sweden.

I thought it was an interesting test because my family lore included an American Indian Great Grandfather but that didn't show up in any of my close family's tests.

JaneV2.0
8-2-20, 1:10pm
Yes they do change things fairly often. I took the test a year or so ago and I think I'm now on my third set of results. 57% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe, 33% Ireland and Scotland, 5% Norway and 5% Sweden.

I thought it was an interesting test because my family lore included an American Indian Great Grandfather but that didn't show up in any of my close family's tests.

Yeah--my family lore had the same one, I think. )I'm sure my sibling was greatly disappointed to find they weren't part of an oppressed minority. :D) When I was doing genealogy, I was excited to come across a relative named Greybill (Wow--there's our Native American!) until I found the surname was a variation of Krebiehl, an old German name that has about a million variants. I have approximately the same ethnic mix as our Dear Leader, but I have ancestors in common with the Bush family.

Alan
8-2-20, 1:24pm
I have approximately the same ethnic mix as our Dear Leader, but I have ancestors in common with the Bush family.As it happens, we found out that one of my wife's ancestors was U.S. Grant. It's a rather convoluted trail but still. :~)

JaneV2.0
8-2-20, 2:02pm
It's fun to discover famous--or infamous--ancestors in the family. Luther Burbank was a cousin, many times removed, which almost made up for our Indian--free pedigree in my sibling's eyes.