PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up for WWIII?

bae
3-9-22, 12:37am
I was ready for covid. And then some.

Now we are heading perhaps to WWIII?

Share your preps... :-)

ApatheticNoMore
3-9-22, 3:04am
If it was nuclear war. Ideally, head to the closest heart of the big city, and hope to perish immediately.

Yppej
3-9-22, 5:13am
I asked the Board of Health to get iodine pills in case we are hit with nuclear weapons. Finally something useful they could do, but no response.

rosarugosa
3-9-22, 5:30am
Well I'm still maintaining robust supplies of toilet paper.

jp1
3-9-22, 6:14am
Tomorrow during work I’m planning to do a duck and cover drill like we used to do in first grade.

Tybee
3-9-22, 6:31am
I obtained a rosary containing a second class relic from Padre Pio, and have been praying a lot. It brings me comfort to have a tiny piece of his cassock. Here is an interesting story about Padre Pio:

https://www.catholicconnect.care/st-padre-pio-the-flying-saints-and-the-american-comrades/

catherine
3-9-22, 7:12am
I've always said that the people in my little community are the best people to have around in the case of a nuclear war--they would be able to dig out and outfit a bomb shelter in an afternoon. Now that DH is undergoing EMT training he could offer medical assistance. Not sure what survival skill I have to bring to the table.

herbgeek
3-9-22, 7:47am
Not sure what survival skill I have to bring to the table.
How to grow your own food and herbs.

happystuff
3-9-22, 10:15am
Just trying to do the normal stuff - cut back on some things and get a little extra of others. Right now oil prices are killing us so the bulk of our money has been paying the oil bill. Sigh...

JaneV2.0
3-9-22, 10:32am
If it was nuclear war. Ideally, head to the closest heart of the big city, and hope to perish immediately.

That was exactly my partner's idea.

JaneV2.0
3-9-22, 10:35am
Watch prepper videos on YouTube. Turns out I need hybrid seeds.

nswef
3-9-22, 10:44am
I would hope to perish immediately. we're 70 miles from Washington DC and 11 miles from Camp David so not quite in the immediate perish zone.

happystuff
3-9-22, 11:04am
At this point in my life, I think I would rather be killed than kill, but who knows what will actually happen "in the moment".

hana
3-9-22, 2:10pm
Lived my entire life in the instant death zone, so I never think about it. There's no point.

LDAHL
3-13-22, 2:11pm
If I were well-stocked with critical supplies to survive the aftermath of a nuclear exchange, I wouldn’t advertise that fact.

happystuff
3-13-22, 3:41pm
While I think we can hold out at home for at least a month or more, I really don't know if we are prepared if we need to leave the house behind. The current grab-n-go bags are more for temporary absence from the home, not long term or forever. How does one prepare for "on the move"?

Tiam
3-14-22, 11:17pm
Watch prepper videos on YouTube. Turns out I need hybrid seeds.

Why?

Tiam
3-14-22, 11:30pm
Prepping is always frustrating for me. I live alone (ish). But I eat mostly chicken, eggs and fresh vegetables. Sometimes I get creative and cook up rice or bean dishes. I don't really bake, or use canned foods much. But I keep buying one more thing to add to the prep pantry. But literally, I don't really rotate it. I just don't really eat much of those foods. I probably have 10 packs of pasta, 25 pounds of rice, 10 pounds of flour, 25 pounds of beans, some canned vegetables,(mostly tomatoes) oils and fats, and boxed and canned milk and proteins like tuna and chicken and condiments and sugar. And I just don't go through it. It's frustrating, because it just gets older and older. I don't LIKE canned food. I really don't like canned fruit and really the only vegetables I like canned are corn and tomatoes. I'm not worried about old canned food being good...but it's just...well, it's hard to figure out how much more to do? I also am stashing water. I probably have 50 gallons of bottled water set aside. I have a little camp stove with some butane and a rocket stove and flashlights and batteries. But I just don't use the stuff. Sometimes the little battery powered lanterns just are dead the next time I test them because the batteries die. I've got potatoes growing in pots and lettuce in the garden and packs of seeds, though not a lot of places to grow. I don't have much income, but I've stashed some cash aside also along with some extra pet food. But how do you manage reasonable, rational prepping when you live by yourself? I'm thinking I could live easily if boringly on what I have for a couple of months, maybe less if I shared with someone. But I just can't figure it out. Most of my preps are geared towards a Cascadia event in the PNW. It seems like an easy to measure goal. Something to set my sights on. I think I'm getting close to being safe in that area. But WW3? All I'd be doing would be getting by for while.

BikingLady
3-15-22, 5:40am
Interesting postings for today. The entire stock up, unavailable items and such during covid was tiring as with all I am sure. We just spoke at 5am of the what ifs/what we should do more of ifs. Not sure if anything will help and I am so very tired of it all…..I know the world is not tired of tossing it at us though.

ToomuchStuff
3-15-22, 9:33am
I guess I need a John Deere tractor, as they are good for hauling tanks.

JaneV2.0
3-15-22, 12:18pm
Why?

Because they're hardier and more disease-resistant than the heirloom varieties, supposedly. I couldn't grow a wart, so it's probably moot.

happystuff
3-20-22, 9:19am
Stopped by Aldi's yesterday and got 6 pounds ground turkey. Cooked and on the dehydrator. Also found some sweet peppers marked down, so they will hit the dehydrator and freezer next, along with two containers of strawberries. I was surprised at the empty shelf space I saw. I definitely feel like I need to step up my meal-planning.

FishFinder
4-18-22, 3:11pm
I have freezer full of meat and basement full of groceries. I'm good for 3 months. except for toilet paper

happystuff
4-18-22, 3:19pm
I have freezer full of meat and basement full of groceries. I'm good for 3 months. except for toilet paper

Excellent! So far, my grocery shelves have had tp, but it is getting a bit more pricey.