PDA

View Full Version : Feeling less radical now.....

gimmethesimplelife
6-24-11, 4:04pm
Last Monday I was off work and managed to get a ride into St. George Utah to run some errands. I picked up a copy of the Las Vegas paper - shame on me - trying to get that habit out of my life - but read an interesting editorial that makes me feel less radical. This editorial writer proposed - as I have here - why don't we just send Medicare/Medicaid recipients overseas for their care when possible, and save untold amounts of money in doing so? It was so nice to see that in the paper, and realize I am not the only one out there who is thinking this....Rob

Tammy
6-25-11, 2:28pm
wow. as i am turning 50 this year, i am acutely aware that soon that poor sick person going overseas for a major medical procedure could be me. I vote no. :D

puglogic
6-25-11, 2:38pm
Am I missing something? So to add to my thousand-dollar procedure I'd tack on a thousand-dollar plane fare, ground transportation, lodging, board, passports, visas, not to mention the risk of being in a place where you might not speak the language and can't properly communicate your needs.....and since such procedures often need pre-care and followup care, multiply all of that by several times...............or was this supposed to be a joke?

sweetana3
6-25-11, 4:16pm
Totally capable people can choose to go overseas but it could be a low cost option or a nightmare. It takes a lot of commitment, a knowledge and acceptance of other cultures, legal protections, etc.

It will be brought up over and over and it makes a titilating article and that is about it.

PS I would choose Thailand or Japan. And only those two countries and only if I get to choose the hospital.

gimmethesimplelife
6-25-11, 4:39pm
Am I missing something? So to add to my thousand-dollar procedure I'd tack on a thousand-dollar plane fare, ground transportation, lodging, board, passports, visas, not to mention the risk of being in a place where you might not speak the language and can't properly communicate your needs.....and since such procedures often need pre-care and followup care, multiply all of that by several times...............or was this supposed to be a joke?Hi Puglogic, no what I am getting at is that Medicare would send you somewhere like Thailand where there are US standard hospitals that can perform open heart surgeryfor example for much much much less and Medicare could pick up airfare and incidentals to some degree and still come out way ahead and save a fortune. Also your recovery period could be included and Medicare still comes out ahead, the cost differences are that great. Interesting point about the passport though, who would pick up the cost and what about the turnaround time involved if you don't already have one? Good point. Rob

Tammy
6-25-11, 9:20pm
people generally rely on family and friends to help out for a few weeks after a major surgery. not to mention the moral support needed during a major surgery. there is a cost to taking that second person along to thailand ... and that person would have to get time off work, instead of being available evenings and weekends during the recovery period. npt to mention the stress associated with air travel - exposure to germs, dry air, low humidity, etc.

I'm still very skeptical.

someone should just bring the Thai system to us somehow ... find out their secrets ...

Wildflower
6-26-11, 3:16am
I've had some major surgeries in my life, took me weeks to even begin to feel normal, much less take care of myself by myself. If I had to get on a plane after something like that I would just of soon died. I'm not kidding. Talk about misery....

gimmethesimplelife
6-26-11, 1:34pm
I guess like anything else this is not a cut and dried perfect solution. I also believe that it will be hard to push this off on much of the American public unless they have already gone overseas and seen the quality of care available for a fraction of the US price. My guess is that things may get to the point eventually where it's get on the plane or do without - the numbers may just dictate such like it or not. I dread that day coming personally for if this one area get so nightmarish, what else will be? But if health care does come to this, I will be one of the supporters.....But I also agree other posters here have brought up valid points - aftercare, getting on a plane after surgery, discomfort with the whole idea......Rob

puglogic
6-26-11, 2:09pm
We could invade a small island nation and make it our offshore hospital state? :)

crunchycon
6-26-11, 5:10pm
I, too have had big-time surgery ( a couple of -ectomies), and, while I bounced back reasonably well, it still took me a minimum of four weeks to get back to being a fully functioning person. I'd hate to think about convalescing in a foreign country or anywhere but my cozy couch.

Tammy
6-26-11, 6:16pm
now that I think about it more, I think the lack of choice is what bothers me ... offer this offshore surgery as an option, and I don't mind. force it, and I mind a lot.

iris lily
6-26-11, 10:02pm
Rob, I love Thailand and am up for that trip. Please don't make me get sick to have to go there!!!!!!