PDA

View Full Version : aggravation trying to get net service

poetry_writer
6-25-11, 4:31pm
I decided to get net service at my place. Guy quotes me a price, seemed a good one, for the mid level speed connection. After the LOOOOONG process of waiting and getting my info etc, he says OH no that is no longer available, the lower speed connection is however. At the same price. I hate games. I told him, no , not acceptable. He had already quoted me the price. He bumbled around with his computer.....I finally said forget it and left. I hate wasting my time with this type thing

janharker
6-25-11, 8:33pm
Where I live there are very few options. The best we can do, and it works pretty well, is a Verizon Air Card. It's the sort of thingy that you usually plug into your laptop and sit on a park bench. Only we have it cabled to the desk top. On a good day, we get 3 bars. But the only other option is dial-up. So.....

CathyA
6-25-11, 10:23pm
We live out in the country with alot of trees around us. We had dial-up for a long time and it was horrible. Last year, DH bought one of those wireless plug-in things and we use it on our pc. It gets a little slow in summer, but works great in winter. Its slowness is still faster than dial-up. Could you get something like that? I think its AT&T mobile.

Tradd
6-25-11, 10:49pm
Just this week I was thinking about upgrading to a faster DSL speed. I have the lowest speed. When I checked on AT&T's website, it said my only option was what I already have. If I wanted faster, I would have to go through Comcast. The cost through Comcast is something like 50% more than AT&T.

poetry_writer
6-26-11, 2:09pm
The problem was not that it isnt available, the problem was shady selling tactics. I am quoted a price, they get all my info, at the very end he declares that it isnt available in my area (he had just told me it was). I said cancel it and forget it. I then spend the entire afternoon receiving several confirmation emails, calling customer support (for a product I didnt buy, being told I "might receive a modem, just return it" I DIDNT BUY THE DAMN THING. etc etc etc.........And I know for a fact it is available in my area. Its the sneaky thing of trying to sell you something, then at the last minute saying oops sorry but here is the crappier version at the same price. Irritating

Tradd
6-26-11, 2:34pm
Have you tried ordering it online?

poetry_writer
6-26-11, 4:54pm
Have you tried ordering it online?

Not yet, but may try. spent an entire day on something I didnt even buy lol

Tradd
6-26-11, 7:27pm
With AT&T, you just input your phone number and it tells you if a specific service is available or not. That's how I found out faster DSL service isn't available to me.

janharker
6-28-11, 7:49pm
AT&T insists that high speed is available in my area. IT IS NOT! There's only Verison, and AT&T dial-up.