PDA

View Full Version : Is travel to The Cool Destination really a good idea?

bae
7-22-23, 5:11pm
I came across this today, and it well describes what's been happening to my community:

https://www.vox.com/culture/23798890/american-tourists-travel-trends-vacation-optimization

bae
7-22-23, 5:19pm
Also:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/the-jet-set-cant-just-take-off-anymore-what-killed-impromptu-travel-51aa0512

iris lilies
7-22-23, 6:22pm
I came across this today, and it well describes what's been happening to my community:

https://www.vox.com/culture/23798890/american-tourists-travel-trends-vacation-optimization

don’t worry, I won’t invade your island, it’s not my jam. Too many trees.

I want to go to Riga to see the art nouveau architecture.

One of these articles touts the virtues of “second cities “such as Lyon, not Paris and Glasgow, not Edinburgh. I like the idea, but I would carry that further to go to third tier cities. Probably that idea carries through the countries too. I know that I found Romania absolutely fascinating, it was a great vacation and so much interesting things to see. It was just amazing. That’s what got me to thinking about the former communist bloc countries probably have a lot to interest me.

I’ve not been to Italy, France or Spain, and probably at this point my life will not go.

I loved Prague and want to go back, but it was so crowded, UGG. I’m sure it’s unmanageable now.

Tradd
7-22-23, 7:41pm
My body can’t take the amount of walking travel requires these days. Plus I refuse to be on a plane for more than the 4 hours it takes me to get to Cancun to go cave diving on the Yucatán. With only two weeks vacation, diving has priority.

I heard this week that Amsterdam is prohibiting cruse ships from stopping.

Re Bae’s second article, when I booked my early December Mexico trip in February, I couldn’t get the hotel I had stayed at last August. They were already booked up. The plane was already 1/4 full. My habit of booking well in advance saved me.

sweetana3
7-23-23, 5:34am
I so remember our first foreign vacation where we had airline tickets to London, tickets for a channel crossing, a rail pass, and an idea. Nothing happened the way we thought but it all was an adventure and created so many funny memories. No Rick Steves but we did later use his book for Paris and found it helpful.

Hated the American group tour we took but now in later years use Road Scholar. They focus on educational and well organized travel and we have really enjoyed the people who choose RS.

But the overall travel experience we knew is not the same. After 9/11 and then Covid, the products like air travel are not as consistent and dependable. I do not want to be tied to my cell phone. I will let others deal with it. At present, I would like to return to NYC and spend time in the museums and eating at ethnic restaurants. I might survive a flight there and we have a favorite hotel.

Yppej
7-23-23, 7:33am
I am now traveling within a 45 minute drive time of my home. There are no top destinations here, since Boston is outside the circle. It feels good.

happystuff
7-23-23, 7:40am
Yes, I think what the articles are pointing out is true - especially the sense of entitlement some people have. It's pretty evident here at home for so many things, that to think it isn't carried around the world by some folks in their travels would be absurd.

I hope my traveling days are not over, but I have to say that I've been able to visit more places than I ever imagined I would. I am grateful for what I've seen and experienced so far.

Oh, and this is a reminder that I need to renew my passport! Just in case... LOL

catherine
7-23-23, 8:29am
I haven't been on a plane since January 2020 when I traveled to Buffalo on business. Then COVID hit. That part of my life slid right off a cliff at that point. I've traveled a million miles across the US, Europe, North and South America and Asia, and it came to a dead stop. At Buffalo.

I am planning a trip to Minnesota to see my brother who was recently diagnosed with CHF and my other brother reminded me that we are older now, and it is never guaranteed how much time we'll have with each other, so this will be a family gathering. That will be my first time on a plane since COVID.

DH and I have spoken about going to Ireland and returning to Scotland to explore our ancestral sites, so for the fun of it I looked up airline travel. Not only have prices jumped, but the the "mileage" price for a frequent flier like me has also gone way up. I once booked my son on a first class ticket back from India for 80,000 points--that same trip now would cost as many points as it cost me to fly six family members round trip to Scotland in 2007. There are deals, it seems, but still... Airline point inflation is a real thing, just like the overall cash it takes to travel.

The Vox article made the statement that "you could certainly make the case that travel is across-the-board unethical" and I would have loved to hear the author expand on that.. but certainly until they figure out how to fly planes with no carbon footprint, that's true from an environmental standpoint, one reason I don't care if I never travel for business again. She also probably meant the literal footprint of tourists mucking up the culture. As far as chasing The Top Ten Destinations, I do feel bad for the cities that wind up on that list, and I don't feel too bad for the people that have to jump through hoops to get there.

My ideal way to travel if it's non-business travel is to stay at a second or even third city and stay for an extended time to really get the flavor of it. That's not really easy or even possible to do.

But right now, every time I suggest to DH that we go somewhere, he'll say "Why would I leave the island?" He does want to go to Montreal, though, 70 miles away. Someday we may get there.

gimmethesimplelife
7-23-23, 10:01am
Thinking of travel to a cool destination - next year SO and I are commited to visiting Medellin - even if SO has to give up the job he just found to get the time to do so. Medellin is an up and coming cool spot. That said, unlike many cool destinations it is very inexpensive - we're talking USD $16 a night for a room in a guesthouse that's gay friendly. Food by US standards is still quite cheap there, especially if you make fruits a staple while you are there. We want to check Medellin out - even though there are issues with Colombia having great gay rights laws on the books but not really enforcing them. Cool really in this case does not have a lot to do with it - it's more an issue of seeking lower costs to maximize savings/not have to work as long.

But I wonder - my former trendy for some time adopted hometown of Portland, OR could do no wrong for a number of years. Until the Summer of George Floyd and until housing costs became utterly ridiculous. Now there is a big problem with homeless tent encampments all over town, crime is rising, drug use is rife, and housing remains difficult to afford - so unlike the Portland I set foot in on July 8th, 1991 - I KNEW I picked the right place to move to. Now I miss the cool Porltand I remember but from what I am nearing I would not miss so much today's Portland.

Point of bringing the above up - Portland fell back down to earth from it's prior lofty status - I am sure Medellin will at some point, too. What goes up must come down as they say. But it's nice to visit cool places before they fall and before they get overpriced. Rob

sweetana3
7-23-23, 10:54am
Gimme: I would never be able to travel on the old wooden carriages of the British train system in the 80s or have the unlimited access of the rail passes we had all over. So glad we did not wait to travel.

Teacher Terry
7-23-23, 11:15am
I went to Europe 4 times between 2002 and 2015 and it was much less crowded than my last 2 trips in the last two years. Those first 4 trips were on our own and not rushed at all. We spent 2 weeks in Rome and many great days just wandering down side streets and visiting the churches, historical buildings that we ran into besides the well known ones on our agenda.

Now being older my friend and I took a tour both times which we enjoyed but the experience was very different. I used to say I would never take a trip to see 4 countries in 11 days but that’s exactly what we did. Plus being older who knows how many more times one can travel so since the countries were all close I saw them all which were on my bucket list.

The last two trips my friend went to places she had seen in the past so I told her to pick where she wanted to go and we would do it. She picked a tour to France in 25. That’s my last overseas trip.

Rogar
7-23-23, 11:22am
Besides work, I've only travelled to outdoor recreate or to see friends and family. Some of that slowed during Covid and never returned. What I suppose is traditional tourist travel has never really appealed to me, although I've been to some amazing museums and the Smithsonian is on a bucket list for a revisit. Something about the whole airport, motel/or what ever, restaurants, shop browsing routine. I've worked in tourist destinations and so many of the tourists seem to walk around with blank faces to their next attraction.

"Eco-tourism" has always seemed like a contradiction of terms and that the whales, dolphins, tortoises, and wildebeest should just be left alone, although I'm sure there is a flip side to that argument and exceptions.

iris lilies
7-23-23, 11:23am
The great thing about Europe is that things are so close together, so I like to stay in one city and take day trips out to other areas. You come home at night in the same hotel, where all all your stuff is already unpacked.

frugal-one
7-23-23, 12:54pm
I am thankful we travelled when younger. We decided to go to places we figured might be difficult to do when we got older. Our thought was we can stay in the US when older because it is easy to travel here and we would get senior discounts. We have not yet been to the continents of Antartica or Australia (was planned but COVID put the kabash on it). As soon as we get our housing situation in order (hopefully in a few months), we will continue to travel! We did plan to visit friends in Canada for a few days next month but saw a flight attendant strike is in the works!

JaneV2.0
7-23-23, 3:08pm
Besides work, I've only travelled to outdoor recreate or to see friends and family. Some of that slowed during Covid and never returned. What I suppose is traditional tourist travel has never really appealed to me, although I've been to some amazing museums and the Smithsonian is on a bucket list for a revisit. Something about the whole airport, motel/or what ever, restaurants, shop browsing routine. I've worked in tourist destinations and so many of the tourists seem to walk around with blank faces to their next attraction.

"Eco-tourism" has always seemed like a contradiction of terms and that the whales, dolphins, tortoises, and wildebeest should just be left alone, although I'm sure there is a flip side to that argument and exceptions.

My feelings exactly.

iris lilies
7-23-23, 3:12pm

They dont walk around with blank faces, they walk around with that 4” x 8” device plastered in frnt of their face, making it difficult for other to get ip close to see anything.

I was perturbed the last time I was in the art museum here. Dodging the cameras/space hogs was an annoyance. Do these people really need a photo of everything? I think not.

flowerseverywhere
7-25-23, 8:00pm
Living in Florida, touring Jan-March is a desirable plan for seniors. Some have seasonal houses, but many rent. The problem arising is Air B&B's. With little screening, parties and large groups are renting for a few days or a week and make a ruckus, litter and have loud parties. Not so great for the neighbors. There are several bike fests in Florida, and groups will Air B&B and race motorcycles with loud drinking parties occurring. And spring breakers are a treat. Large companies are reportedly coming in to purchase multiple properties which is driving our real estate even higher for young families.
My hometown, on the Atlantic Ocean was Idyllic but now with many houses turning into apartments, huge hotels being built on the waterfront and expensive restaurants it is not such a friendly p!ace to live. Same with DH's town on a lake. Traffic is ridiculous in all places.

Amsterdam and Venice are among the very overcrowded this season, and they are trying to figure out what to do about shoulder to shoulder tourists packing the streets. Public drunkeness, crime, noise, public urination and general disorderly conduct follows the crowds.

But can a city limit rentals when the horses out of the barn?

iris lilies
7-25-23, 9:41pm
The problem with parties at Airbnb‘s is universal nationwide. It’s all over St. Louis. It’s not even out of towners necessarily, groups rent an Airbnb for Friday night and Saturday night and just have giant loud parties that go on for 48 hours. They’re now featuring hot Rod and gun play downtown, so that’s pretty much turned into no man’s land.

Sure there’s all kinds of things cities can do to restrict short term rentals, but they have to be willing to make those ordinances and more importantly, enforce them. Nothing in the St. Louis is enforced so we could have all the laws in the world and it would not matter.

I’m grateful that my condo building has a “no rental” policy. It would be a nightmare there.

jp1
7-25-23, 10:03pm
They dont walk around with blank faces, they walk around with that 4” x 8” device plastered in frnt of their face, making it difficult for other to get ip close to see anything.

I was perturbed the last time I was in the art museum here. Dodging the cameras/space hogs was an annoyance. Do these people really need a photo of everything? I think not.

No kidding. The last time we were in Paris we went to the louvre. The Mona Lisa was absurd. EVERYONE felt the need to get a selfie with her. So ridiculous. Thankfully there is plenty of other delightful stuff in that museum to look at. It’s such a massive place I could spend weeks just going day after day and look at something different every visit.

Alan
7-25-23, 10:38pm
No kidding. The last time we were in Paris we went to the louvre. The Mona Lisa was absurd. EVERYONE felt the need to get a selfie with her. So ridiculous. Thankfully there is plenty of other delightful stuff in that museum to look at. It’s such a massive place I could spend weeks just going day after day and look at something different every visit.
Ditto! We've spent the better part of a day at the Louvre on three separate visits and another half day or so at the Musee d'Orsay each time. If you return make sure d'Orsay is on your list, oh, and the catacombs are worth a few hours of your time although they're probably a one and done excursion.

We'll probably never visit the city again, but if we do you can bet those museums will definitely be visited again.

sweetana3
7-26-23, 6:06am
Our group tour went to the Louvre. When I saw the crowds going right to the Mona Lisa, I went left and saw parts of the museum that were empty but fascinating. The apartments, the Egyptian items, the sculptures, etc. Need to go back. My favorite time is January. It snowed on us and was lovely outside too.

Downtown Charleston has laws against short term rentals and hired a person to monitor it.

littlebittybobby
10-30-23, 7:58pm
Okay---I went to Republic, to try out the old license bureau, which is under a new management, since the last time I was there. Also, there is an Aldis, so I went in since it was en route. Choclit bars were on sale. Yum.

littlebittybobby
10-30-23, 8:03pm
Plus--and I forgot to mention this---There's a wrecking yard on the way to Republic, so I stopped there, too. How do you kids like that?

frugal-one
10-30-23, 9:31pm
What is Republic?

Yppej
10-31-23, 5:22am
As part of my diminishing distance plan to go green, I now vacation within a 40 minute driving radius of home. I have not run out of things to see and do.

I do make exceptions to hear presidential candidates, but that will soon end as they are starting to drop out now (Suarez, Johnson, Elders, Pence). I will not get in 13 like I did four years ago.

Tybee
10-31-23, 6:46am
We go farther than that to go to the damn doctor, but we are doing similar and planning to drive to New Hampshire to eat turkey before the snow flies. Part of our life strategy in recent years is to try to live in tourist country, which we've managed with the last three locations, and then every day can be a vacation.

littlebittybobby
10-31-23, 1:46pm
Okay---FB axed mee to elaborate a bit on Republic. Well, it is more suburban sprawl from Sfd, Zurra. As the Ford dealer used to say,it is located "one minute west of Sfd, at 600 mph". Ha Noo, they don't drive 600 here, but they sure try. Yup

HappyHiker
10-31-23, 7:44pm
Once a destination gets featured in travel media, I no longer want to go there. Or if a destination has a cruise ship stop or port, I don't want to go there. We now pick places we can reach on a road trip or off-beat places not exploited by the ":me too" travelers.

I'm so glad we saw Venice 30 years ago before it became a cruise ship stop. And we went off-season and sometimes felt we were the only visitors there...it was magical.

One problem is we humans have exploded in population and we can be like lemmings all wanting to go to the new hot spot...

We recently visited the capital of PA--Harrisburg. You should see the capital building there. I'm not kidding--it rivals palaces and art museums one might see in Europe. Who would have thunk it?? https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=state+capital+harrisburg+PA&atb=v224-1&iax=images&ia=images

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=state+capital+harrisburg+PA+interior&t=ffab&atb=v224-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

The architect was inspired by the Paris Opera House and St. Peter's Basilica in Rome...the art and tile and stained glass is marvelous. Free tours and no lines. My kind of travel.

Yppej
11-1-23, 5:42am
We go farther than that to go to the damn doctor, but we are doing similar and planning to drive to New Hampshire to eat turkey before the snow flies. Part of our life strategy in recent years is to try to live in tourist country, which we've managed with the last three locations, and then every day can be a vacation.

I go farther to the dentist, but I don't consider that a vacation.