PDA

View Full Version : Declining family events because of...well, money

saguaro
8-1-11, 1:16pm
Hi all,

DH has a pretty small family namely between the fact that his parents are only children and lot of the other family members are not partcularly close. He has a couple of second cousins (their dad and MIL are first cousins) that are considerably younger (like 20 years) than him that he hasn't really seen much or been in contact with. But a few years back, when these cousins started getting married, having kids, etc., we (along with several other members of his family) started getting invites for weddings, showers, baby showers, etc. Part of what is driving this was that the cousin's dad experienced the death of closer family members and now, we are pretty much all they have, so there has been more contact. OK, so that is pretty understandable.

However, our income situation as far as gift giving has changed. Two years ago, DH lost his job to the economic downturn and my pay was cut by 20%. My pay has been restored, and DH just started a new job :) , but he had to take a 40% paycut. DH's car had to be replaced as the old one was about to throw a rod, plus there is work on the house we put off during his unemployment that we really need to get to. So, we are still having to be as frugal as when he wasn't working.

Well, we got an invite from one of the cousins who just had a baby and our family didn't even know she was expecting until a few weeks ago. I opened the envelope and it contains not one invite but two: the new baby's baptism and the 2nd birthday of the first child. That was a first for me...a "two for one" invite. :confused:

Anyway, we can't afford showing up with two gifts which would be expected. One maybe, but two? Plus, with both of these cousins married with kids, we thought we were through with the weddings, showers and all, but now we are getting invites to every single kid's birthday (there are 3 now). While we are relatives, we really don't know them and there's not much contact except at these events. I feel like we are like a "gift source". We can't afford to keep shelling out $$$ for gifts, but at the same time, we feel bad because it's a small family.

We are leaning toward declining stating we have other plans. We don't want to get into the "we can't afford it" issue as most of his family are spendthrifts so it's an alien concept. Plus his family didn't know DH was unemployed, with good reason, so they aren't aware of the reduced circumstances. I know some folks may not agree with that, we didn't want to go there, trust me.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent and any feedback is welcome!

Tradd
8-1-11, 1:48pm
I would just do the you have other plans spiel.

I ran into something of this with my mom's side of the family. She was the youngest of many children, and so there were lots of weddings, graduations, showers, for relatives I might have seen once. They were trolling for prezzies. I just refused to go. I solved the whole thing by moving two states away!

larknm
8-1-11, 3:14pm
Other plans, every time.

treehugger
8-1-11, 4:04pm
I personally would never decline an invitation, that I otherwise wanted to attend, just because I couldn't afford to bring a present. Now, if there are other prohibitive travel costs involved, or other reasons you simply don't want to go, then certainly decline.

My DH and I have a very tight budget, so I understand those kinds of concerns. But I pretty much view invitations and present-giving this way: if whomever invited me to an event will be offended if I show up without a present, then I don't want to go anyway. Their loss, not mine. :)

When I got married, I made sure I didn't have any showers thrown for me (because I see showers as gift grabs, and that makes me uncomfortable), and I certainly didn't notice/don't remember if anyone didn't bring a present to the wedding. I invited people that I truly cared about and wanted to celebrate with. Period.

Kara

Reyes
8-1-11, 4:23pm
Would you feel comfortable attending without a gift? Is it possible that they invited you and your DH for want of your company, not a gift?

saguaro
8-1-11, 4:47pm
Would you feel comfortable attending without a gift? Is it possible that they invited you and your DH for want of your company, not a gift?

That's what I am not sure of. These cousins' events involve huge amounts of gifts to the point of it being mind-boggling. Gifts are opened in "assembly-line style" along a long table assisted by other family members.

Float On
8-1-11, 5:09pm
They are just seeking gifts. I'd send a card for whatever event it is with a nice note hoping they enjoy their day. Pretty soon those invites will stop coming.

early morning
8-1-11, 7:21pm
What Float On said. If they want to just visit, they can invite you over for that purpose, or plan a pot-luck family reunion in a free park. If most get-togethers are for "occasions" that generally warrant a gift, that's pretty telling.

Reyes
8-1-11, 7:50pm
No one knows if the invite is purely for gifts or not. The assumption is that it is, but you won't know without asking. Can you find a gentle way of posing the question?

flowerseverywhere
8-1-11, 8:09pm
I would have no problem declining invites and being honest. We have some family members who almost lost everything due to circumstances beyond their control and several occasions they had to turn down invites and honestly said they could not afford to come. Once for an out of town wedding we all chipped in to help but they felt really bad taking money.

But in your situation I would just decline and say "I'm sorry but we won't be able to make it" and not send a gift. If you are pressed you could say that you have another obligation. That would not be a lie because you have an obligation towards your own family and getting your financial house back in order.

I think unfortunately in this economy there are a lot of people in your shoes and you can't let someone drag you down further when you are working hard to climb out of a bad situation.

Polliwog
8-1-11, 11:07pm
I wouldn't decline the invitations unless you really do not want to go. Instead of gifts, maybe you could make some cookies, or banana bread, etc. and give it with a card. It may be a situation where the cousins just want to include you. Hold your head high and go without a gift.

Aqua Blue
8-2-11, 9:57am
I try to assume the best in everyone, sometimes I am more sucuessful than others, LOL. If I didn't want to go to the parties but wanted to continue the friendship, I would decline but offer an alternative time to get together. "Sorry I can't get together for little Suzy's birthday party. I would like to see you tho, could we meet at the park...." I think people are busy and it is hard to add one more get together.

I also would have no problem bringing something small for a baby shower with, "My sisters kids just loved this little book when they were small" The same with the 2 yr old's birthday. Sometimes it is the small thoughtful gift that says a lot.

sweetana3
8-2-11, 10:38am
I agree with the small gift. At the 4 year old's Bday party, I used a handmade Elmo card that got a huge amount of good comment and a small ballerina doll. The birthday girl gave more comments to it than all the clothes and some of the big toys she got. It cost me very little since I think it was a garage sale purchase from some time ago. It was pink and had a big smile.

Note that one of the present was a tie dye set that was for 8 year old + kids and had permanent dye in it. Not the best thing for a 4 year old even with a "hippy" mother. The best toy of the lot for the 4 year old was the Play Doh set. It kept 4 kids busy and out of the adults hair for over an hour. Yea.

ps: The cabbage patch doll that I gave her last year has lasted beautifully and is still played with. They are great toys.

bagelgirl
8-2-11, 12:35pm
I absolutely agree with Early Morning. I hate it when I'm only invited for gift giving occasions.

puglogic
8-2-11, 2:44pm
If you really don't want to go - at all - consider sending a nice, heartfelt letter that makes your fondness for the kids clear, but explains that you can't be there.

If you DO want to go but can't afford the present thing, it seems like the suggestions above (either biting the bullet and just bringing a card, or bringing something small and meaningful) would work.

Depends on whether you want to be there, or are indifferent to being there. Unless you have a crystal ball, you have no way of knowing 100% whether they're just trolling for gifts, so leave other peoples' expectations on the curb and just do what is right for you.

Karla
8-5-11, 10:58am
Money is tight for us as well. It sounds like you aren't particularly close to these people and don't really want to go. But if you do there are plenty of gifts you can bring that don't cost very much money. One thing I have done for small children is to take a nice folder, add some pretty paper and stickers inside of it, tie it closed with some rafia and attach a pretty pencil.

Kids shouldn't need big expensive gifts - it is having family there and the little things that should make them most happy.