PDA

View Full Version : my bad DR visit

Zoe Girl
8-3-11, 9:00am
okay taking a HUGE risk here about this. I have been waiting for a DR appointment for over a month due to scheduling and all for a concern (I am gonna be vague cuz it is private and has a stigma to it). I have a counselor I have been seeing for a year and after struggling with progress on something we did a test that showed a possible other diganoses. I am also now on Kaiser and have never been before. I have been worried about this, looking at possible life long meds, researching alternatives but mostly just hanging on until I could start the process to hopefully feel a lot better.

the appointment is still upsetting me 2 days later. Basically I brought in the test results and the counselor asked me questions and about 3 questions in she started telling me it didn't sound like that diagnoses. Then she suggested other things that I disagreed with. Finaly she told me that she could not do meds that day, well I had not asked for them and if at all possible I would avoid that but I really want to feel better. Just because I am not living on the streets does not mean I don't need support.

The major problems in understanding seem to be that I was a very informed patient and that many of my symptoms are low because of work I have done and 25 years of meditation. It reminds me so much of the time I went to the DR and asked to treat my asthma better. i was not getting enough air with the rescue inhaler and I told the PA that i couldn't get under a 9 minute mile with my lungs, but the rest of my body could do it. She started off with a laugh, a nice but slightly overweight lady, and said that people in their 40's shouldnt worry about that. Well I said I was concerned about it because I was more than capable of running an 8 minute mile, but I wasnt pushing for my old times in the mid 7's. She did then give me some help and my next appointment with my regular person (who is a runner) was easier. Just because the majority of people will not run even 9 minute miles does not mean that i should accept wheezing in my exercise. And here too, just because I can hold a job and function is not enough when my education and work history says I am capable of quite a bit more but there is an issue that may be what is in my way.

Rosemary
8-3-11, 10:59am
Second opinion needed? Perhaps with a doc who specializes in integrative medicine?

Zoe Girl
8-3-11, 9:05pm
Yeah, my counselor thinks that they have not settled the diagnoses and is sending over my info. I guess I am impatient as well.

poetry_writer
8-5-11, 9:41am
I am sorry this happened to you. Sometimes you just get a bad doc. I once went to a doctor who began rambling and talking about bizarre subjects. It does no good to report them to the hospital here, they will do nothing. Sometimes you have to get another doc, I know it is a drag and expensive.

CathyA
8-5-11, 9:53am
Just keep looking until you find a doc you're happy with. I know that can take a little time. But never assume you have to accept their unacceptable behavior. Good luck to you!

redfox
8-5-11, 11:42am
I had a bad one this week too. A Naturopath I had hoped to get some support from for working on weight loss. She made the choice to judge me instead, and said something that was pretty hurtful - it was a bummer. Luckily, I can vote with my feet, and there are plenty of other practitioners that are more understanding.

rodeosweetheart
8-5-11, 6:18pm
No helpful ideas, just lots of support for all of you who are encountering bad health care providers. (Hey, that means they provide bad health! I like that.)

Zoe, maybe look for a provider through some websites that are integrative oriented? There are such web sites, but I forget the names--every time I find a site like that, there are a range of providers, including MD's if that is what you need for your insurance.

rodeosweetheart
8-5-11, 7:56pm
Maybe try this:
http://drweilhealthnetwork.com/listing/guide/all

But on the map, it only looked like there were four of them! Still, I did not try the search engine.

Zoe Girl
8-5-11, 11:30pm
thank you all, the understanding means more than you know. I have been working with my counselor to try and get a release form signed and to the right person so we can get through some of the re-diagnoses process quicker. Since I went with Kaiser on my new insurance (waaay cheaper since I will have to add all my children, ex husband lost his job) there are limited choices. It is a really different system but I know people who have made it work.

I realize I have an impatient attitude and I think people are telling me no when they are really telling me 'slow down, let's look at this'. Yeah, overall I have spent my life wondering why everyone moves so slow and looks at me funny when I point that out. Apparently it is me and not them.

I spent many years doing more holistic medicine and I think that it can be very helpful, but I also see limits. Right now I am more willing to deal with potential side effects. A lot of holistic medicine works really well when you can have more say over your stress level and diet which is not really possible quite yet, but I would like to get back there.