PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Choices - Consumer Scams

Cypress
9-6-11, 10:15am
An article appeared by the Consumer Reporter in my local newspaper on Cook's Illustrated Magazine. The publishing branch of the magazine apparently sends books to subscriber's without being ordered. The publisher's also send invoices for books that were not purchased. There is a long list of subscriber harassment for purchasing products associated with the magazine and TV show America's Test Kitchen. I enjoy the magazine and program.

When I checked on Google for scams, sure enough numerous complaints appeared with the same theme. I was about to renew my subscription. How can I? I disklike being in this position. A consumer happy with a product, finds out the company is behaving badly.

What would you do? A similar situation arose with Vita Cost. Of course, I most likely will have to drop this subscription and drop the show. I cannot go forward knowing how they treat consumers.

Tsk, tsk, this stinks.

iris lily
9-6-11, 11:02am
Free books! What's not to like? If they send you something that you didn't order, it's yours to keep.

But of course, it's not this simple. The problem may lie in the small print--what does your magazine subscription really entail? Is there fine print about this book program in your subscription sign up?

Me, too, would stay away from this company. If they are giving me hassle, it's not worth the cost of the magazine.

Don't renew, and write to the company to tell them why. Perhaps your library gets this magazine.

CathyA
9-6-11, 11:04am
That's really disappointing to hear about "America's Test Kitchen". (Although I did quit watching that show because they cook any way but simple).
I know what you mean. Its very unethical. I get phone calls from police fundraisers who start out by saying "We want to thank you for your last donation." I interrupt them and say "Why are you saying that???? I've never donated to you!!". It makes me soooooo mad.

And I do get bills for things I haven't ordered (like magazine subscriptions, insurance, etc.). It irritates the hell out of me, and I think it should be illegal. I guess there are stupid people out there who go ahead and pay it, without even thinking about it.

And another thing that irritates me..........if I donate to anything, I start getting tons of mail from them. Or if I renew my only magazine subscription (Taste of Home), they still keep sending me tons of "renew now" crap.

Simpler at Fifty
9-6-11, 5:20pm
Taste of Home does the same thing with their books as cook's does.