PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Peeve / Rant

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17

razz
7-12-21, 6:15pm
Soooo, are you saying that you are a problem?:devil:

iris lilies
7-12-21, 7:56pm
Soooo, are you saying that you are a problem?:devil:I am a problem for those who displease me.
:)

Jane v2.0
7-12-21, 8:26pm
So as to avoid displeasing you, here's a real estate listing from the town where I was born:

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/home-and-real-estate/2021/07/property-watch-for-sale-astoria-oregon-real-estate-houses-queen-anne-victorian-historic?day=12&month=7&year=2021&fbclid=IwAR1yBTIAxZb412zKOe8LP-CzcMPjg3dlQ97TOzvojMcDb0B7DbU64Vmi2yk

Consider it an offering.
It's also quite affordable.

razz
7-12-21, 8:40pm
So as to avoid displeasing you, here's a real estate listing from the town where I was born:

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/home-and-real-estate/2021/07/property-watch-for-sale-astoria-oregon-real-estate-houses-queen-anne-victorian-historic?day=12&month=7&year=2021&fbclid=IwAR1yBTIAxZb412zKOe8LP-CzcMPjg3dlQ97TOzvojMcDb0B7DbU64Vmi2yk

Consider it an offering.

That is a unique home - for someone who loves historical homes and has the energy to handle the stairs.

Is there a requirement to meet for a certain type/colour of paint or when re-cladding these wonderful unique homes? In my area, if a home is declared a "heritage home", a number of restrictions kick in. I am not sure what they include but one house recently went through the process of being delisted as the restrictions were severely limiting the saleability of the property.

Jane v2.0
7-12-21, 9:30pm
There may already be a sale pending on it. Not sure about heritage status or local regs. Friends say it's at the crest of a long hill (Astoria is pretty hilly), so between that and all the stairs, it's not likely to be my retirement cottage.

iris lilies
7-12-21, 9:49pm

Consider it an offering.

That is a wonderful paint job on that old Victorian, I mean the exterior. It’s very effective. The red door pops. The interior is lovely and elegant and those floors are simply sublime. What pretty floors. I think the kitchen is not sensitive to the house.

So I looked into Astoria which is an old town as you know. they call themselves the first settlement west of the Rockies.. And here is this gem, if you want to see something cute and original here it is:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/445-W-Marine-Dr_Astoria_OR_97103_M10266-31701

The ironing board! The kitchen is wonderful with its original cabinetry and built in breakfast nook furniture. And the built-in beds are fabulous!

really cute, But apparently not on a nice street.

Jane v2.0
7-12-21, 10:19pm
There might be a nice view of the Columbia from the rooms upstairs.

razz
7-13-21, 6:23am
Lovely to look at and picturesque design; so much more to than the simple boxes of today. In all these houses that I have seen, there is no evidence of elaborate gingerbread on the exterior. I spent a couple of years studying the local gingerbread, taking photos and even writing a published article in the local newspaper. When I downsized, that all got tossed as I could find no one interested. Still enjoy seeing the remnants on older houses which are a real pain to paint, I am told.

catherine
7-13-21, 7:59am
IL, you know you've hit my hot button on bland HGTV/Joanna Gaines cookie-cutter decor. I completely feel your pain.

Here's Christian Siriano's home which I find happy and livable, despite a LOT of color.

https://www.elledecor.com/design-decorate/house-interiors/a9044/christian-siriano-house-tour/

JaneV2.0
7-13-21, 9:57am
I adore Christian Siriano, and I admire his house--especially the divine room with the green-striped chairs. And the distressed green sideboard. And the attic hideaway.

"The house is quite eclectic," Christian notes, "And because I'm a designer, it's all about the prints and the fabric and the textiles."
That's what I think quilting is about, so I'm always puzzled when people don't make the most of of that.

Tybee
7-13-21, 10:58am
That chartreuse wall immediately made me think of Stephen Huneck--is that one of his paintings, with the dog with the ball in its mouth?

What a nice and happy house.

iris lilies
7-13-21, 11:03am
My “friend with taste” had walls exactly that color until he went all grey-like. Is was glorious!

JaneV2.0
7-13-21, 11:17am
When I fantasize about housing, I always picture a coral or rose living room, possibly with wallpaper, and a celery-green kitchen. And Siriano's decor makes me see how I can tie the two together.

Klunick
7-13-21, 11:20am
I prefer "earthy" colors on the walls. My husband on the other hand likes to do accent walls with pops of color. So far, he has managed to talk me into an accent wall in the kitchen and the downstairs bedroom. They are very similar colors which I describe as "salmon-ish".

catherine
7-13-21, 11:32am
That chartreuse wall immediately made me think of Stephen Huneck--is that one of his paintings, with the dog with the ball in its mouth?

What a nice and happy house.

In my home, I am definitely taking inspiration from Huneck--he uses a lot of aqua, terra cotta, spring green, navy and yellow. When my health insurance premiums dropped by several hundred dollars when I turned 65 by going onto Medicare, I treated myself to a 65th birthday gift: this print by Huneck called "She Sings a Lovely Song" It's a good example of his palette.

https://www.dogmt.com/She-Sings-a-Lovely-Song-Giclee.html

Tybee
7-13-21, 12:22pm
That's really lovely.

May I add, that is such a good idea about the celebratory print. Maybe when we sell one of these houses, I will do the same thing with a print from Kristin Nelson, who is an artist I like a lot, kind of similar to Huneck. (Yes, she was married to Rick Nelson, that Kristin Nelson.)

https://www.pinterest.com/karensuey/kristin-nelson/

razz
7-13-21, 12:30pm
Huneck's images remind me of some of Jacqui Lawson ecards.

While I like some of the items in Siriano's country setting such as the chair with floral upholstery and lime accent, to live in so much stimulation would drive me insane and irritable. What is with all the female nudes anyway?

iris lilies
7-13-21, 12:34pm
I am pumped about the new removable wallpapers. Makes me want to try wallpaper. I have always been afraid of it because so difficult to remove.

beckyliz
7-13-21, 2:08pm
When I fantasize about housing, I always picture a coral or rose living room, possibly with wallpaper, and a celery-green kitchen. And Siriano's decor makes me see how I can tie the two together.

There's a gal on Instagram who calls her page candycoloredhome that I think you'd like.

razz
7-13-21, 2:30pm
I am pumped about the new removable wallpapers. Makes me want to try wallpaper. I have always been afraid of it because so difficult to remove.

Your DH will hate you if you use wallpaper after all his efforts on smoothing the walls. I would first find out if there is something to prevent the wallpaper from sticking to al the new smoothing he has done. I love wallpaper but wallboard and fresh plaster just grabs it and holds on tight. Unless there is a new approach that will seal the new wallboard and fresh plaster and yet keep the wallpaper on the wall, go carefully.

iris lilies
7-13-21, 2:45pm
Your DH will hate you if you use wallpaper after all his efforts on smoothing the walls. I would first find out if there is something to prevent the wallpaper from sticking to al the new smoothing he has done. I love wallpaper but wallboard and fresh plaster just grabs it and holds on tight. Unless there is a new approach that will seal the new wallboard and fresh plaster and yet keep the wallpaper on the wall, go carefully.

hmm, ok. I am Not putting it on plaster walls of my condo, but I have considered putting it on 1) the soon to be fresh wallboard in my Hermann bedroom and 2) closet doors in my condo

frugal-one
7-13-21, 3:22pm
IL, you know you've hit my hot button on bland HGTV/Joanna Gaines cookie-cutter decor. I completely feel your pain.

Here's Christian Siriano's home which I find happy and livable, despite a LOT of color.

https://www.elledecor.com/design-decorate/house-interiors/a9044/christian-siriano-house-tour/

It is interesting on how we all perceive "things". I see clashing clutter in many of these rooms. I would never put that much "stuff" together. I would constantly be in a state of feeling disarray!

ToomuchStuff
7-13-21, 9:36pm

Sizing and primer over fresh walls.

Teacher Terry
7-14-21, 1:32am
Frugal one, I totally agree with your assessment of that house. Yikes I was overwhelmed!

rosarugosa
7-14-21, 5:24am
I liked the white rooms in that house, which is consistent with my preferences.

iris lilies
7-14-21, 9:36am
3848No white for me. You all have seen my living room but here it is again, dressed up for our neighborhood’s house tour a couple of years ago.

JaneV2.0
7-14-21, 9:46am
3848No white for me. You all have seen my living room but here it is again, dressed up for our neighborhood’s house tour a couple of years ago.

How did I miss that the first time? Sublime--shades of pink and chartreuse-y green are among my favorites. And that rug! Swoon.

catherine
7-14-21, 9:50am

Gorgeous!! My kitchen cabinets are similar to the green on your walls--I think the paint color I chose was Wasabi--which is good description.

iris lilies
7-14-21, 9:59am
Gorgeous!! My kitchen cabinets are similar to the green on your walls--I think the paint color I chose was Wasabi--which is good description.
I call it “old lady green” because I know too many ladies of a certain age who have this color splashed liberally around their house. I love it! My “friend with taste” is a gay man my age who had a version of the green but his was more lime and even brighter. It was splendid as a backdrop to all of his art.

Jane, this rug is polyester and is a fun rug, nothing I wish to carry into the next house.But it goes nicely here.

razz
7-14-21, 10:23am
I missed this the first time round as well so thanks for sharing. You do like colour! I, too, love the rug. The pink chairs are lovely to look at in your house. Now, I understand what you mean when you talk about colour in a dwelling.

Klunick
7-14-21, 11:23am
Almost 2 years ago, we did a total revamp on our house. New paint, new carpets, new furniture, etc. At the time we had older cats so I didn't worry so much about them scratching up the furniture. Fast forward to May 2020 and both cats died within months of each other and two new kittens joined our household. Knowing how kittens are, I bought clear furniture protectors for the corners of our loveseat as that seemed the most likely "favorite scratching post" for the kittens. They worked like a charm. Fast forward to yesterday when I saw our female cat "stretching" on the front corner of the loveseat. I yelled at her and she ended up getting her claw stuck. I bent down to help and noticed that there was damage to that area so apparently I missed a spot to add the protectors. Wasn't really noticeable unless you are on the floor and looking at it up close. I still had more protectors so I put one on that corner to reduce further damage. Stupid cats!!! >:(

iris lilies
7-14-21, 11:35am
It is a wonder that we can have anything nice with pets! But I do love my dogs and put up with a great deal of dog damage. The aforementioned pink rug is the first real rug we’ve had in nearly 3 decades, mainly because we had a house full of dogs and some would pee on the rugs. Our current guy does not do that.

catherine
7-14-21, 11:40am
It is a wonder that we can have anything nice with pets! But I do love my dogs and put up with a great deal of dog damage. The aforementioned pink rug is the first real rug we’ve had in nearly 3 decades, mainly because we had a house full of dogs and some would pee on the rugs. Our current guy does not do that.

I remember once buying a black cloth IKEA sofa for our family room. We had a yellow lab mix at the time, and it was horrible with all that yellow dander constantly covering that black cloth--of course if it had been leather or vinyl, I could have brushed it off, but that canvas-type fabric made it so hard to brush the fur and dander off!!

So when we ultimately got another dog--a black one--everything I bought for the house was black. Even the floors were a dark wood. I told people that my design inspirations were always my dogs.

Klunick
7-14-21, 11:46am

I am a dog person too but these two cats have won my heart (mainly because they love me more than my husband ;)). I was under the impression that the corner of my box spring for my bed was their designated "shred" spot which I was fine with because the comforter hides it. I also have a 6-7 foot cat tree in the living room with plenty of scratching posts as well as a small one downstairs. Gracie (the cat) hid her devious antics well. (I only blame Gracie for any damage or badness because my sweet boy Boone would never do such a thing).

happystuff
7-14-21, 11:57am
I enjoy all the colors - in someone else's house. Lol. And why is it the old wood floors look good in his house but just "old" in mine?? Lol.

Teacher Terry
7-14-21, 1:41pm
I L, I have seen your living room before and love it! The other house you posted was way too cluttered and all the patterns with the colors all combined to make me feel unsettled. Yours is warm and inviting. I love green and pink. I use them as accents. In the condo my accent walls are subtle because the space is small. Except for my bedroom where the pink is bright but it’s only one wall and my fabric gray headboard is big and takes up much of that wall.

iris lilies
7-19-21, 2:25pm
I’m in the midst of drafting new bylaws for my neighborhood organization because our existing set of bylaws is dense, wordy, convoluted, and frankly at times not followed anyway. This is an organization that brings in $100,000 a year, mot some rinky dink hobby group.

I only joined the board a few years ago because it was my sense that it was in deep Doo Doo and I know they weren’t following the bylaws to elect officers.When I got onto the board they didn’t even know who they had elected and to which positions. I thought I was done with it, having served on the board multiple times in multiple positions decades ago but the chaos was painful to watch.

Everyone is well intentioned and competent on this Board, I do want to make that clear.

But during Covid our procedures broke down to where we were spending money without a proper board vote. Well now we’re meeting in person and we’re still playing email games called “ hey I’ve got this idea can I spend $1000 on it? “And some people respond “sure a great idea. “ But a few emails are not the super majority formal vote required in Bylaws to spend this kind of money outside of membership approval.

And now we want to hire fire eaters for a party with an emergency appropriation of $550 where the legal liability falls on my organization.

Oh hell no.

iris lilies
7-19-21, 2:26pm
I am a dog person too but these two cats have won my heart (mainly because they love me more than my husband ;)). I was under the impression that the corner of my box spring for my bed was their designated "shred" spot which I was fine with because the comforter hides it. I also have a 6-7 foot cat tree in the living room with plenty of scratching posts as well as a small one downstairs. Gracie (the cat) hid her devious antics well. (I only blame Gracie for any damage or badness because my sweet boy Boone would never do such a thing).

I have had too many dogs in the past decades but I’m really a cat person. At the moment our lives are Uber simple, we have one well behaved dog and zero cats. This dog is probably not going to be compatible with other dogs and that makes me sad because I do miss my foster dogs.

Teacher Terry
7-19-21, 3:03pm
I love both dogs and cats but have gotten so allergic to cats that it means a trip to the ER. I am also getting more allergic to dogs so have to be very careful about which breed I get and my allergist said 2 is my absolute limit. My allergies got worse every year with Noki and the last year I needed my asthma rescue inhaler daily.

Klunick
7-22-21, 6:39am
Ugh! My new boss is so freaking egotistical that he thinks that things (even the most mundane) that have been done by us for decades can no longer be done without his approval and signature. He has to have his hands in everything. I wish he would just let us do our jobs!!!! He also made a comment to a co-worker that he can hear our conversations from his office. Umm.. ok. So what?

Teacher Terry
7-22-21, 12:16pm
Klunick, that sounds awful

razz
7-22-21, 12:27pm
Klunick, is it possible that he, as the newcomer, is trying make sure that he understands everyone's role and will step back with time?

iris lilies
7-22-21, 12:44pm
Klunick, is it possible that he, as the newcomer, is trying make sure that he understands everyone's role and will step back with time?
That’s kind of what I was thinking too. As a new manager you have to insert yourself into the process if you really want to understand what people are doing. And managers have a responsibility to understand the processes that take place in their work units.

That doesn’t mean that this learning curve isn’t annoying for the employees who are humming along doing a good job because it is annoying. It requires that they take time to now educate their boss.

Klunick
7-22-21, 1:19pm
Klunick, that sounds awful

That’s kind of what I was thinking too. As a new manager you have to insert yourself into the process if you really want to understand what people are doing. And managers have a responsibility to understand the processes that take place in their work units.

That doesn’t mean that this learning curve isn’t annoying for the employees who are humming along doing a good job because it is annoying. It requires that they take time to now educate their boss.

When I say he is "new", I mean that he's been here for a little over a year. He doesn't want to learn what we do. He doesn't want to learn how to do it. He just wants to control everything that we do even though he doesn't understand it. He is a glory hound and doesn't want anyone to get any credit for anything even if he had nothing to do with it. He wants to be have his names attached regardless.

happystuff
7-23-21, 5:48pm
Rant at myself - Was doing a REALLY long walk today and got a text from my sister. Called, but ended up leaving a message on her phone as I was walking. Walking and talking went fine! But as I was looking at my phone to hit the "end call" button, at the exact time, I hit a piece of uneven pavement and went down - on my left side. Casualties include base of pinkie finger (I was holding - and saved! - the cell phone), lower left calf nicely scraped, upper left thigh with one little puncture wound (probably from a pebble), really good job on the left elbow (bloodiest spot), and left shoulder, where I must have rolled and ended up. Left side of right palm also sore where I think I actually "caught" myself.

Happy there are no broken bones, but some swelling and the soreness is seeping in now (about 4 hours after).

Lesson learned: Don't drive and text on the cell phone AND don't walk and talk/leave messages on the cell phone!!! :|(

Sigh... I'm too old for this!!!

Tradd
7-23-21, 6:04pm
Wow! Glad you’re OK. Don’t try and walk a s chew gum at the same time!

happystuff
7-23-21, 6:12pm
Wow! Glad you’re OK. Don’t try and walk a s chew gum at the same time!

LOL - Thank you and thanks for the advice! Actually, I don't chew gum because of old, metal fillings! :D

razz
7-23-21, 6:20pm
That would be aggravating to have happen.

frugal-one
7-23-21, 7:04pm
So sorry happy stuff.

Moved furniture and was sore so took Arnica Montana homepathic pellets (Boiron brand- 30C). Surprising how that stuff works for swelling and sore muscles (also bruising).

happystuff
7-23-21, 8:24pm
That would be aggravating to have happen.

Just feeling silly at not paying more attention and falling.

happystuff
7-23-21, 8:25pm
So sorry happy stuff.

Moved furniture and was sore so took Arnica Montana homepathic pellets (Boiron brand- 30C). Surprising how that stuff works for swelling and sore muscles (also bruising).

I seem to bruise easier as I age so I'm going to look into this Arnica Montana - thanks for the info!

Teacher Terry
7-23-21, 9:20pm
So sorry Happy. Ugh! In the past 7 years I have fallen 3xs. Broke my finger, broke my wrist and had a concussion. That time I had a headache for 2 weeks. The 3rd fall was very uneven sidewalk. Now I walk looking down.

happystuff
7-24-21, 9:15am
So sorry, Terry! I can't imagine breaking anything, and feel grateful and lucky that I haven't (yet! LOL). Am really sore this morning, but expected that. I am definitely going to concentrate more on looking down!

Teacher Terry
7-24-21, 12:53pm
We have a lot of crappy uneven sidewalks so I have learned to be careful.

Klunick
8-2-21, 3:31am
Around 0015 last night, cat decided to jump onto our fireplace mantel. Normally that isn't a big deal because there is usually nothing on it. But I had decorated for Fall so it was full of decor. Made a big crash so I had to get up and make sure she was ok and then put it all back up onto the mantel.

Tradd
8-6-21, 1:09pm
The ignoramauses that walk amongst us leave me wondering what next. Within the past week someone told me the worldwide shipping meltdown was caused by the extra $600/week unemployment benefits we got here in the US last year. I told her to just keep on thinking that because the complicated explanation would be too much for her wee brain to handle.

beckyliz
8-6-21, 2:20pm
The ignoramauses that walk amongst us leave me wondering what next. Within the past week someone told me the worldwide shipping meltdown was caused by the extra $600/week unemployment benefits we got here in the US last year. I told her to just keep on thinking that because the complicated explanation would be too much for her wee brain to handle.

hahaha!

iris lilies
8-6-21, 2:27pm
What is the damn secret to making CAPTCHA Entries on web forms work? I can NEVER make then work. Even when the letters are very clear I cannot make them work. I use uppercase when it shows an upper case is that a problem? I just tried seven times in a row to make a CAPTCHA Entry work on a web form. Letters were in simple to read block letters. Some were bold and some lower case, some greyed out. I tried representing the grayed out letters and not including the grayed out letters. It didn’t work. I tried using uppercase and lowercase to represent letters in uppercase. It didn’t work.

This seem to be a fairly straightforward CAPTCHA box to replicate.I don’t even try any more when they’re in cursive form because I know those will fail. But honestly I don’t think I get them right ever.

About a quarter of the time I don’t get the ones right about “mark all of the stop signs “or “mark all of the busses”

Yppej
8-6-21, 2:29pm
The push to get most kids to go to college, with the result that I cannot find an electrician to come out to my house.

How is it beneficial to society to encourage people to wrack up huge student loan debts they can't pay, then develop student loan forgiveness programs to have the taxpayers pick up the tab for these degrees, some of them completely useless, when we could be directing promising talent towards trades where your training actually translates into a job that provides concrete benefits to society?

razz
8-6-21, 5:01pm
From what I hear, trades are in high demand this year due to homeowners who have an opportunity to get renos done on their property because they cannot spend their money in other recreational activities. Materials needed for all these home reno expenses are in limited supply due to the demand.

That said, I agree that trades are a good choice for a career. One young neighbour who completed his tradesman in-class sessions was having a hard time finding a business to give him the apprenticeship needed to complete his training with the covid impacting the business activities. Strange times!

iris lilies
8-6-21, 5:07pm
DH is cute. He came home from Hermann all happy because our contractor “offered him a job” ( I dont take it as a firm job offer.) Apparently the two of them worked very well together over the last two days putting wiring in the house.

It is “cute “because it makes me wonder where his head is since we both know he could go out and get five jobs today if he wanted to.I guess he just likes being recognized for his construction skills. He and the contractor get along well.

happystuff
8-6-21, 5:13pm
DH is cute. He came home from Hermann all happy because our contractor “offered him a job” ( I dont take it as a firm job offer.) Apparently the two of them worked very well together over the last two days putting wiring in the house.

It is “cute “because it makes me wonder where his head is since we both know he could go out and get five jobs today if he wanted to.I guess he just likes being recognized for his skills. He and the contractor get along well.

LOL, IL, I'm not sure how this is a "rant". At least from your dh's perspective, I would guess it to be a "rave". But glad he got some apparently well-deserved validation!!!

iris lilies
8-6-21, 5:20pm
LOL, IL, I'm not sure how this is a "rant". At least from your dh's perspective, I would guess it to be a "rave". But glad he got some apparently well-deserved validation!!!
Oh I was just keying into the talk about trades, tradesman, and trade education. It doesn’t take much for me to contribute blather as I’m sure you’re well aware.

happystuff
8-6-21, 5:23pm
Oh I was just keying into the talk about trades, tradesman, and trade education. It doesn’t take much for me to contribute blather as I’m sure you’re well aware.

:+1:

ApatheticNoMore
8-10-21, 2:48pm
Coin shortages, especially quarter shortages. Tell me it's not some sign of societal collapse that you can't get legal tender (at least not of the quarter type) for the country you live in, in that country. But I go to the bank and they say "nationwide quarter shortage" and give me one roll at most.

So laundries get rationed as they must, can't be doing them just because you have some stuff you want to clean, do you actually need to clean it or can it sit dirty for awhile ... Will you give up clean sheets and towels in order to have clean clothes? I will, if I have to make that trade. Because quarters are running out, they are this year's TP.

Teacher Terry
8-10-21, 3:18pm
Our laundry room has a app you can download to pay for laundry which is what I do. So much easier.

ApatheticNoMore
8-10-21, 3:28pm
These laundry machines look like they are 50 years old, and they break periodically, but they keep fixing them and have been fairly prompt in that. No credit cards and no apps, just slots for quarters. They have even had the nerve to raise the price in the pandemic, never mind we can hardly even get quarters, now they expect us to be able to find even more of them. >8)

happystuff
8-10-21, 5:44pm
Quarters (for laundry room in her building) are the #1 birthday gift request on her list. I'm going to wrap my change and see what I can come up with for her.

Jane v2.0
8-10-21, 7:04pm
There are both manual and electric washing machines--lots of them--available. Most manageable sized. I'd go that route.

iris lilies
8-10-21, 7:34pm
There are both manual and electric washing machines--lots of them--available. Most manageable sized. I'd go that route.
Perhaps, for the average cubicle dwelling American.

But for clothes that get truly dirty, I don’t think so.

Tradd
8-11-21, 1:28pm
There is one cowowker who is still working from home. I don’t care why as long as she gets her stuff done and doesn’t shove stuff off on me. She had been off a day here or there. All I asked is that she lets me know which days she’s going to br done and when she’s back. She had not been doing that. Yesterday was the last straw. She was gone. Didn’t let me know. I didn’t know she was gone until the customer I back her up on for customs stuff was screaming for a ton of stuff to be done in the afternoon. It was something I’ve been barely trained on and haven’t done for months. I told the customer X is back tomorrow and we’ll both get these done for you. Then I went to our manager and briefed her on the situation. The coworker is in hot water, but that’s not my problem.

Tradd
8-11-21, 1:32pm
Rant from this morning’s commute. Most of the 20 miles to work are on one lane each way roads through far out suburbs. Windy roads. No passing lanes. Speed limit is 55. There was a guy in front of me going 25 virtually all the way to work. 25 in a 55! People who can’t go the speed limit at a MINIMUM need to be off the roads. The line of card behind me I could see in rear view mirror was very long.

razz
8-11-21, 3:11pm
Yucky days in these high temperatures are not fun. Wishing you a better day tomorrow.

SteveinMN
8-11-21, 3:45pm
There was a guy in front of me going 25 virtually all the way to work. 25 in a 55! People who can’t go the speed limit at a MINIMUM need to be off the roads.
In fairness, maybe he was trying to get his car someplace to have it fixed. But even then, he should have had the courtesy to pull over a few times to let traffic pass.

Kind of like the people in the grocery store who stop in the middle of the aisle oblivious to the fact that they're not the only shopper in the store.

Tradd
8-12-21, 8:53am
In fairness, maybe he was trying to get his car someplace to have it fixed. But even then, he should have had the courtesy to pull over a few times to let traffic pass.

Kind of like the people in the grocery store who stop in the middle of the aisle oblivious to the fact that they're not the only shopper in the store.

Nope on the car having issues. He was doing it again this morning. When the road finally widened to two lanes a few miles from the office, I passed him and got to see the driver. Old guy. If it happens again, I’m calling the cops. Affluent suburban area, not much for the cops to do.

Yppej
8-12-21, 9:37am
If it happens again, I’m calling the cops. Affluent suburban area, not much for the cops to do.

And someone here was calling me Karen.

SteveinMN
8-13-21, 5:40pm
got to see the driver. Old guy.
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got in my life was "Never drive behind an old guy wearing a hat." It has proved itself again and again. But sometimes it cannot be helped; at those times I just put that driver in the same category as those drivers with "Baby on Board" signs: thanks for the warning.

herbgeek
8-13-21, 5:48pm
Tradd's experience with the slow driver reminded me of this old commercial:

https://youtu.be/mHv_-q2YNFE

razz
8-13-21, 6:32pm
That was funny, herbgeek.

happystuff
8-13-21, 6:44pm
LOL, cute!

Yppej
8-14-21, 12:22am
Woken up by what I assume is the mosquito spraying truck going round and round. They don't post their schedule and I can hear it but I can't see it. It is a different sound than the midnight street sweeper.

iris lilies
8-14-21, 5:51pm
Days later I’m still horrified by how much I paid for a motel room in Springfield Illinois to attend the state fair. You people would not believe it. No one here could guess how much. It’s only slightly below the horrific amount I paid in Boston a few years ago and another ugly cheap motel that was near the airport with last-minute reservations.

Do you want to know the amount? It was $490.

Next week we’re going to the Missouri state fair and staying at the old historic hotel and yes I’m sure that’s going to be $300 plus, but that’s a different experience. I called weeks ago for that reservation and managed to snag one night because everything else was booked up.

rosarugosa
8-14-21, 6:10pm
Wow! Was that for one night? Was it for ultra-cool accommodations?

iris lilies
8-14-21, 6:20pm
Wow! Was that for one night? Was it for ultra-cool accommodations?

It was one night. It was a cheap motel. It was your typical cheap motel. Granite is it a newly decorated but that’s about it.

happystuff
8-14-21, 6:28pm
Wow! That IS a lot to pay for one night!

rosarugosa
8-14-21, 6:36pm
It was one night. It was a cheap motel. It was your typical cheap motel. Granite is it a newly decorated but that’s about it.

Well next time it's in the Boston area, let me know. I could have at least steered you towards something more to your liking:
https://www.fairmont.com/copley-plaza-boston/?y_source=1_MTIzNjE0MTUtNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLmdvb2dsZV 93ZWJzaXRlX292ZXJyaWRl
https://www.hawthornehotel.com/

Yppej
8-14-21, 7:07pm

I thought granite was expensive, at least in countertops, compared to say laminate. What in the room was granite?

Teacher Terry
8-14-21, 7:17pm
I never paid that much in Boston or San Francisco. I have had good luck using hotels.com and booking.com.

razz
8-14-21, 7:40pm

Were you trying to say - granted it is newly decorated? Do you use your microphone to answer posts, perhaps? I find that I have had to say some of your posts to the drift ofyour intent but that is good practice for when I start answering using audio.

I paid half that for a fairly decent motel last fall and swore high rate that would never happen to me again - $100 to 150 is my usual.

frugal-one
8-14-21, 8:16pm
I never paid that much in Boston or San Francisco. I have had good luck using hotels.com and booking.com.

Travel is expensive these days. People are biting at the bit to travel and are paying the price.

Tradd
8-14-21, 8:31pm
Tradd's experience with the slow driver reminded me of this old commercial:

https://youtu.be/mHv_-q2YNFE

Haha - that was funny!

iris lilies
8-14-21, 8:39pm
I thought granite was expensive, at least in countertops, compared to say laminate. What in the room was granite?
Oh you people! Haha.
I meant to say something like “granted, it was newly decorated…“But it was nothing special believe me.

The old hotel we’re staying at next week in Sedalia is cute and all that historic and has a very nice restaurant, assuming that is still open

iris lilies
8-14-21, 8:40pm
Well next time it's in the Boston area, let me know. I could have at least steered you towards something more to your liking:
https://www.fairmont.com/copley-plaza-boston/?y_source=1_MTIzNjE0MTUtNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLmdvb2dsZV 93ZWJzaXRlX292ZXJyaWRl
https://www.hawthornehotel.com/

The Boston Motel problem was that I wanted it right by the airport, I wanted a shuttle that would get us to the airport at 5:30 in the morning, and I didn’t make a reservation until about a day or two in advance. I paid dearly for that.

Klunick
8-19-21, 9:42am
Left work yesterday and got as far as outside the parking garage before I saw that my low tire pressure light was on. Stopped at a nearby parking lot and used my air pump to fill it up. Then got up this morning to leave for work and saw one of my headlights was out. :doh:

iris lilies
8-19-21, 9:46am
Were you trying to say - granted it is newly decorated? Do you use your microphone to answer posts, perhaps? I find that I have had to say some of your posts to the drift ofyour intent but that is good practice for when I start answering using audio.

I paid half that for a fairly decent motel last fall and swore high rate that would never happen to me again - $100 to 150 is my usual.

yes! I do dictate many posts here. Thus the bad wording, sometimes incomprehensible.

Tradd
8-19-21, 1:35pm
Turkish Airlinea Cargo is useless and incompetent. Predates covid and the current shipping chaos by many years.

Shipment from India to Chicago. It was 80 drums on 4 pallets. They put it as 4 pcs on everything. It’s a special kind of entry that Customs has to manually release. Customs here said it should be 80 pcs. Turkish refused to make the change for more than 2 weeks. We’re well past the 15 days allowed for clearance after arrival so I have to cancel the original entry and redo it.

I let loose on the Turkish Cargo manager at O’Hare. He said they were short staffed. I told him there is a huge difference between being short staffed and refusing to make a change Customs requires. Told him I strongly recommended the customer never use Turkish again.

catherine
8-19-21, 1:42pm
Sorry for the grandma rave, but I smile every time I go out to pick cucumbers and recall how my 4 y.o. grandson calls them "tree pickles"

razz
8-19-21, 3:34pm
Sorry for the grandma rave, but I smile every time I go out to pick cucumbers and recall how my 4 y.o. grandson calls them "tree pickles"

Grandma, you posted this in the 'rant' thread but that is a cute story to share.

catherine
8-19-21, 5:44pm
Grandma, you posted this in the 'rant' thread but that is a cute story to share.

Oops!

Tybee
8-19-21, 6:06pm
Well, it would be a rant for Iris Lilies, those damn trees dropping pickles all over the yard.

catherine
8-19-21, 6:17pm
Well, it would be a rant for Iris Lilies, those damn trees dropping pickles all over the yard.

haha!!

rosarugosa
8-19-21, 6:20pm
On my to-do list I wrote "clips," and I have no idea in the world what that was supposed to remind me to do. It is driving me crazy!

PS: Suggestions are welcome!

Yppej
8-19-21, 6:30pm
Clip the hedges?

rosarugosa
8-19-21, 6:36pm
Clip the hedges?

I do have some nasty weedy vines growing up into the hemlocks that need to be cut back, but I don't think that I would write that as "clips." I don't need paper clips or binder clips. I don't wear clips in my hair and I just had a haircut. When I need to cut DH's hair, I list that as "haircut."

happystuff
8-19-21, 8:03pm
Clip coupons? Clips - clothes pins? Video clips to watch or pass on to someone? Maybe you actually meant "chips"?

LOL, this is kind of fun. Thanks.

rosarugosa
8-20-21, 5:42am
Yes, maybe I need to eat a bag of chips, lol.
It occurs to me that if it's something at all important or necessary, it will cross my mind again. If it isn't and it doesn't, then that's probably just as well.

Klunick
8-20-21, 8:30am
No idea how I got to work safely today. Every time it rains, the lane lines on the Beltway disappear because they are so faded. Add in semis and ambulances with lights going and it only gets worse. My nerves were fried by the time I got to work.

happystuff
8-20-21, 8:34am
Sorry you had such a tough time, Klunick. I hope the trip home after work is better.

Klunick
8-20-21, 9:12am
Sorry you had such a tough time, Klunick. I hope the trip home after work is better.

Should be because it will be light out. I drive into work at 4am so it's very dark. Dark + wet roads= white knuckle driving. :laff:

catherine
8-20-21, 10:00am
Should be because it will be light out. I drive into work at 4am so it's very dark. Dark + wet roads= white knuckle driving. :laff:

That is a real nightmare. I hate driving on interstates in the rain and also the dark, so put the two together and it's definitely white knuckle!! I'm at that age where sometimes I won't drive places because of those conditions.

iris lilies
8-20-21, 10:23am
Agreed, rain and dark and bad pavement markings are scary.

Klunick
8-20-21, 10:52am
That is a real nightmare. I hate driving on interstates in the rain and also the dark, so put the two together and it's definitely white knuckle!! I'm at that age where sometimes I won't drive places because of those conditions.

I wish I had the option but got to go to work. I could go in later on rainy days but then traffic would be a nightmare going to and from work. Trading one crappy situation for another.

iris lilies
8-20-21, 11:13am
A friend who is my age has poor eyesight due to diabetes. She called me for an emergency trip across the river to another state to pick up a dog a couple months ago. It was at night and she couldn’t drive then and they were doing a dog pick up.

iris lilies
8-21-21, 1:02pm
Working with hobby groups and in volunteer gigs, it’s just as bad as working a in real life job in some aspects.

A president of one of my organizations only answers about one in three of my email messages. So when he doesn’t answer I don’t know if:

1. He’s too busy to pay attention to it and it’s not a priority, So I should go ahead and do what I think it’s best
2. He has deep thoughts about it and he wants to come back later give me those thoughts
3. He’s annoyed by my question and is shoving it aside and will not answer

So this is déjà vu about my job when I worked. I only got answers from my boss about a quarter of the time.

And then there’s “fading.” While fading wasn’t as popular in the world of pay as it is in the world of volunteers, fading exists in both worlds. I am trying to untangle something that’s been an ongoing problem in my neighborhood association for a few years. Somebody took up the mantle about two years ago to fix it and she was very capable. She outlined her plan. Time went on and she didn’t continue in a particular board role but she was still in the background doing some work. Then apparently about six months ago she faded out and never announced “hey I’m gone now. “

The same issue that she set out to solve is still a problem and it has been made more complicated because we have to figure out work she did and apparently didn’t pass on to anyone else.

I will say this about volunteers and how they need to end their roles: I observed two little elderly ladies who had been quite competent in their lives but their minds were getting weaker. Both of them served as treasurers for two different organizations. Both of them surrendered their treasury duties in very clear ways by saying “I will not do this job any longer “and they relinquished all treasury materials to their organization.

In both cases I took over the treasurers job and it was interesting that the little ladies had been making the same errors – transposing check numbers with dollar amounts in the checkbook log. I think part of this is that these organizations wrote only about three checks a year so it’s not a skill that was often used. But again, they relinquished the job in the way they should. Good for them!

I’m seeing a fair number of little elderly ladies fading away and we can’t get an answer from them to the question “do you quit? “ So their role is not performed and in some cases that is a problem for the organization.

Teacher Terry
8-21-21, 2:04pm
I never faded away. It’s really thoughtless. I always let people know so I can be replaced.

iris lilies
8-21-21, 2:24pm
I never faded away. It’s really thoughtless. I always let people know so I can be replaced.
Yeah, it is thoughtless but in half of these cases of fading it is due to literally “less thought.” A lot of garden club ladies are in their 80s and 90s and their minds are fading. And then we add in Covid isolation which makes everyone worse.

That’s why I admire the two women in their mid-80s who gave up their treasury jobs as clearly and efficiently as they did everything else in the organization.

SteveinMN
8-22-21, 10:39am
And then there’s “fading.”
I've been fighting that in a couple of organizations.

In one, anyone who did anything for the organization became an officer (You collect pop cans and turn them in for money for the club? You're an officer! Here's your title!) which became incredibly unwieldy. People "faded", they had an argument with someone in the club and left the organization, they moved to Arizona for the winter and their job didn't get done for several months, they passed on, etc. Of course, they still wanted to vote on organizational business. >8)

That was changed when we overhauled our charter and bylaws. Just five officers and appointees for special projects whose terms run no longer than a year (if the issue is still there, the new president has to appoint them or someone else to the position for another year). If you want to be in on the action, become an officer. None of this grandfathered for life do it when you feel like it and keep it to yourself business. And we have one place (cloud) where we record the stuff we need to know on a continuing basis -- who holds the key to our event venue, who's listed as a signer for checks, where our state paperwork is, etc.

At another organization, we needed to update our Web site for the coming year. "Dan" was kind enough to foot the bill for hosting so the club didn't have to pay for it. But he alone got all the notices from the hosting company. Now he's decided he wants to take a break from being so active with the organization. He didn't relinquish anything proactively, though. The current club president had to ask Dan for the password to the Web site when no one else could get into it to update it. It took a few weeks to get a hold of Dan. Thank the stars he wasn't run over by a truck or something... I'm now the Webmaster and when I changed the password, the president and treasurer were told what it is. We're not going through that again.

They're volunteer help and God love 'em that they volunteer as long as they do (that gets tougher all the time). But there still is the requirement to run like a business. That seems to be difficult for most people to understand.

iris lilies
8-22-21, 11:22am
I've been fighting that in a couple of organizations.

In one, anyone who did anything for the organization became an officer (You collect pop cans and turn them in for money for the club? You're an officer! Here's your title!) which became incredibly unwieldy. People "faded", they had an argument with someone in the club and left the organization, they moved to Arizona for the winter and their job didn't get done for several months, they passed on, etc. Of course, they still wanted to vote on organizational business. >8)

That was changed when we overhauled our charter and bylaws. Just five officers and appointees for special projects whose terms run no longer than a year (if the issue is still there, the new president has to appoint them or someone else to the position for another year). If you want to be in on the action, become an officer. None of this grandfathered for life do it when you feel like it and keep it to yourself business. And we have one place (cloud) where we record the stuff we need to know on a continuing basis -- who holds the key to our event venue, who's listed as a signer for checks, where our state paperwork is, etc.

At another organization, we needed to update our Web site for the coming year. "Dan" was kind enough to foot the bill for hosting so the club didn't have to pay for it. But he alone got all the notices from the hosting company. Now he's decided he wants to take a break from being so active with the organization. He didn't relinquish anything proactively, though. The current club president had to ask Dan for the password to the Web site when no one else could get into it to update it. It took a few weeks to get a hold of Dan. Thank the stars he wasn't run over by a truck or something... I'm now the Webmaster and when I changed the password, the president and treasurer were told what it is. We're not going through that again.

They're volunteer help and God love 'em that they volunteer as long as they do (that gets tougher all the time). But there still is the requirement to run like a business. That seems to be difficult for most people to understand.

I am leading the rewriting of our bylaws for our 50 year old neighborhood organization. We are expanding the number of elected officers as current president wishes,As part of our pattern of adding a new elected officer about every 2 to 3 years.

Already the Board has become unwieldy in size and I think the next major bylaws rewrite will be to squeeze it down and trim off maybe up to half of elected officers. But I will be long gone by that time. Congratulations Steve on getting your officers reduced to five!

It’s kind of ironic that as I actively participate in this bylaws revision to add yet another position, I see that we really need to trim them. But whatever.

I do get to do something dear to my heart: cut out huge swaths of very detailed procedural yammering in our bylaws that were introduced by two presidents in particular. I had to do research on one of them to identify who did it.Another article that was impossible to understand (very specifically written for a contentious issue, now dead) was put into place by a friend of mine when he was president.The new people on the board have no clue what that is about when they read it.

We already have enough trouble with our organization not following bylaws so my main goal was to simplify it and write clearly the limits of the Board of Directors.

Steve, as for passwords and digital storage — that has been the most frustrating thing about my organization in modern times. They’re like demonic toddlers, their attention span is so short. The biggest problematic fade was with someone who was straightening up access points to all of our digital accounts. You could imagine the problems that resulted when she faded and we turned over two presidents within two months. I’m still trying to sort that out but my attention is not especially welcome yet they don’t know what they don’t know.

razz
8-22-21, 1:07pm
Lots of sympathy for the trials with volunteers. I rarely volunteer anymore and just for specific short-term projects with the parameters defined and signed off by the board.

SteveinMN
8-23-21, 9:42pm
Steve, as for passwords and digital storage — that has been the most frustrating thing about my organization in modern times. They’re like demonic toddlers, their attention span is so short.
My sympathies. The hardest part about making that work for us is that many of the participants/officers are of a generation that finds using their phone for more than voice calls challenging (forget about the computer if they have one). The concept of a cloud or of a strong password that's changed when people rotate off the board each year is foreign to them. So there's the mechanics of how to actually get into the cloud site to add minutes and bookkeeping backups and education about why the password should change and why it isn't just last year's password with the year tacked onto the end of it. !thumbsup!

iris lilies
8-23-21, 9:55pm
My sympathies. The hardest part about making that work for us is that many of the participants/officers are of a generation that finds using their phone for more than voice calls challenging (forget about the computer if they have one). The concept of a cloud or of a strong password that's changed when people rotate off the board each year is foreign to them. So there's the mechanics of how to actually get into the cloud site to add minutes and bookkeeping backups and education about why the password should change and why it isn't just last year's password with the year tacked onto the end of it. !thumbsup!

I’m trying to get our head honcho to change the email account I monitor over to somebody else. The “somebody else” says “ just give me the password you use Iris.”

I say no, the head honcho needs to assign a new password to you so that you are now in complete charge of that account and he has a record of you being in charge.
This has been going on for months and I can’t get any movement.

I also have keys to the castle in our website. I don’t imagine anyone’s going to remember to turn off my access when I leave the board in two months. I will have to do that with our web master who is a professional web developer.

Most of our board members are much younger than I am and are facile with technology, so using the technology is not a problem for them. It’s keeping administrative records to pass on to subsequent boards that they can’t do.

frugal-one
8-24-21, 2:40pm
Toilet died... had a hard time finding one to replace it. DH fell earlier and bruised ribs and is now trying to deal with this. He seems better but hope this will not cause him to backslide. Of course, he insists on replacing the toilet himself.

razz
8-24-21, 3:00pm
Toilet died... had a hard time finding one to replace it. DH fell earlier and bruised ribs and is now trying to deal with this. He seems better but hope this will not cause him to backslide. Of course, he insists on replacing the toilet himself.

Oh no! What a frustrating combination of circumstances. Hope all get resolved soon.

rosarugosa
8-24-21, 3:21pm
Good luck with those challenges, Frugal-one.

Yppej
8-24-21, 3:34pm
In my state a plumbing license is required to replace a toilet. Maybe big government does have a role to play.

Alan
8-24-21, 3:40pm
In my state a plumbing license is required to replace a toilet. Maybe big government does have a role to play.
Making criminals out of DIYers?

iris lilies
8-24-21, 3:43pm
Indeed.

As if you can actually get work went to your house to do any work.

Yppej
8-24-21, 5:51pm

You got it. My neighbors just got busted for putting up a small set of wooden stairs (three steps) with wooden railing. It is all about the municipalities getting a bunch of permit fees to fund those well paying, fully benefitted including with pension jobs for inspectors.

happystuff
8-24-21, 6:04pm
Good luck, frugal-one. I hope your dh is okay to do the job and not aggravate his injuries.

ApatheticNoMore
8-29-21, 2:16am
The quarter shortage continues. I went to the bank. No quarters. I have enough for one wash, well then that will be clothes. No dries. I guess I can hang them around the house to dry, sure it's possible, I've done it. Or go around begging people for quarters. It's gotten so pathetic. The unending quarter shortage.

Jane v2.0
8-29-21, 10:09am
I don't understand why your management doesn't address this; it would seem they could update their laundry billing. Or at least sell you some quarters.

iris lilies
8-29-21, 2:58pm
I don't understand why your management doesn't address this; it would seem they could update their laundry billing. Or at least sell you some quarters.
Of course! Because updating the “billing” costs nothing.

Ha Ha Ha I’m just imagining my little condo association now installing card readers into their few laundry machines. Yeah.

That is not an expense I’m willing to pay for, Even though it is a very nice perk of paid laundry facilities. The laundromat I go to occasionally did change from quarters to card readers. That was a marvelous change! The biggest impediment to go in there was having enough quarters. I wouldn’t be surprised if they saw a big uptick in business.

I don’t want my condo assoc. messing with that. However, I do appreciate the heads up from ANM that quarters are hard to get. Looks like I should start a collection of quarters for the few times I use those machines in my condo building next year.

Teacher Terry
8-29-21, 3:13pm
Our machines are paired with a app you download and add money with your credit card. I love it. Most of the old people in the building use quarters.

jp1
8-30-21, 5:39pm
Why do smoke detector batteries always reach the ‘chirp point’ in the middle of the night and not during the day?

JaneV2.0
8-30-21, 5:47pm
Of course! Because updating the “billing” costs nothing.

Ha Ha Ha I’m just imagining my little condo association now installing card readers into their few laundry machines. Yeah....

For apartment owners, it's a business expense, and isn't it inevitable? Practically everything is tied into one's phone these days. I'm not sure updating a few laundry machines would cost overmuch, either.

boss mare
8-30-21, 5:47pm
Why do smoke detector batteries always reach the ‘chirp point’ in the middle of the night and not during the day?

I don't know... But I try and change mine twice a year daylight savings time and the switch to standard time

iris lilies
8-30-21, 7:01pm
For apartment owners, it's a business expense, and isn't it inevitable? Practically everything is tied into one's phone these days. I'm not sure updating a few laundry machines would cost overmuch, either.
Well Jane, wouldn’t they have to be tied to wifi? How does that work, anyway?

I was going to say that my 93 building doesn’t have mod cons like that, but as I think about it there is Wi-Fi in the lobby to run the security system and the laundry area is right off the lobby on the same floor. So maybe it is doable.

jp1
8-30-21, 8:14pm
I don't know... But I try and change mine twice a year daylight savings time and the switch to standard time

We replaced all the smoke detectors a year ago when we bought this place. They all looked really old. The mew ones are all the ten year kind so we shouldn’t need to do anything with them for a while. I thought we had changed both the CO detectors as well, but apparently not the one that started chirping in the middle of the night last night.

happystuff
8-30-21, 8:16pm
This is a good reminder for me to change out my smoke detectors and CO detectors. I can't remember when they were last installed, so I guess it's time I get new ones.

jp1
8-30-21, 8:59pm
Our CO detector was actually doing 5 quick chirps. According to the manufacturer website that means ‘time to replace’ because it is 5-7 years old. We have another one downstairs on the wall outside the hallway where the furnace closet is. That’s our only gas appliance inside (hot water heater is also gas but it’s outside so not an issue) so I’m not too worried but I still will order a new CO detector for upstairs.

GeorgeParker
8-30-21, 10:26pm
Our CO detector was actually doing 5 quick chirps. According to the manufacturer website that means ‘time to replace’ because it is 5-7 years old. We have another one downstairs on the wall outside the hallway where the furnace closet is. That’s our only gas appliance inside (hot water heater is also gas but it’s outside so not an issue) so I’m not too worried but I still will order a new CO detector for upstairs.Another common way for smoke detectors to let you know their sensors have died of old age is by having a false alarm for several minutes, then being quiet for 20-30 minutes and having another false alarm. Very unnerving if you don't know that's what the false alarms mean and you're desperately sniffing around trying to find any hint of smoke or burnt smell. :(

jp1
8-30-21, 11:59pm
Another common way for smoke detectors to let you know their sensors have died of old age is by having a false alarm for several minutes, then being quiet for 20-30 minutes and having another false alarm. Very unnerving if you don't know that's what the false alarms mean and you're desperately sniffing around trying to find any hint of smoke or burnt smell. :(

Thankfully neither of us were inclined to try and ‘sniff out’ a CO problem in the middle of the night. Both because we know that CO doesn’t smell and because it’s summer we sleep with all the windows wide open and fans in all the windows to cool the house down. The possibility that we were being poisoned with CO was pretty much zero.

ApatheticNoMore
8-31-21, 2:55am
Coworker quitting without giving two weeks notice (really, why not give customary notice? there are jobs that don't deserve it sure, but these folks are nice) All the work dumped on me with no possibility of adequate training nor documentation. I'm kind of resigned that things will go wrong. I mean I'm being put in an impossible situation (though they are understanding).

happystuff
8-31-21, 9:52am
Coworker quitting without giving two weeks notice (really, why not give customary notice? there are jobs that don't deserve it sure, but these folks are nice) All the work dumped on me with no possibility of adequate training nor documentation. I'm kind of resigned that things will go wrong. I mean I'm being put in an impossible situation (though they are understanding).

So sorry, ANM. Glad to hear that they are understanding about it all.

iris lilies
8-31-21, 11:20am

Well I hope this doesn’t turn your job super bad. It’s good to hear that your management team seems amenable to you and your work.

Teacher Terry
8-31-21, 11:59am
That’s awful but management does sound reasonable. They are probably worried about losing you too if they act like jerks.

Tradd
8-31-21, 12:33pm

Sorry to hear. More work sucks. However, we don’t know what’s going on with the coworker. I’ve quit jobs that were so miserable, I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

ApatheticNoMore
8-31-21, 6:33pm
It could break either way with job becomes bad or not. I mean it *could* become better, more senior people sometimes hoard all the interesting work, and it's been a long time since I've been a senior person at a job, so I've just have to put up with it. But I kind of am now (small dept, small company). I don't know if I will hoard all the interesting work, maybe when I am king equality will reign over the land :) So ... it could get better.

But of course it *could* also be really bad with nightmarish amount of work etc.. It could get real bad and 6 months or a year from now I'm the one looking for work, that could also happen. See my boss and me are the department at this point, they are hiring a new person, but everyone knows you don't get immediate benefit from a new person, over the long term you do, but they have to get up to speed on the company (on the industry even I think), and they haven't even started yet.

It's bad right now though, but that doesn't say much about the long term really. But blah, miserable now. And a lot of knowledge might not be transferred that well and it's specific to this job, it's not something on the internet - searchable knowledge doesn't worry me but job specific stuff ugh, and so some stuff might be starting a bit from scratch and trial and error because of such an incomplete knowledge transfer, reinventing the wheel. Because documentation wasn't made for it. Knowledge transfer or cross training didn't exist until now at the last minute. And now it's way too rushed.

ApatheticNoMore
9-1-21, 12:20am
And the only knowledge transfer going on is near all day marathon meetings for stuff I don't have a chance to try pretty much and have never even seen before at that. Oh I've mentioned this, that information can't really be absorbed without trying it out, for all it matters, since we are doing all day marathon meetings, day after day - that's how much it matters what I say. Near all day marathon meetings as a way of conveying knowledge: MEH.

I do get some of this is just because there is no time, 1 week notice. Meanwhile before this, I was training someone on something and made detailed documentation and have had multiple meetings on it and more to come. But neither I am out of there in a week I guess.

Stuff may not go well.

sweetana3
9-5-21, 9:38am
Rant rant rant. Mother in law cannot call or message us to tell us of a problem so we can help handle in a reasonable way and in a reasonable amount of time but has to wait until we visit to create a crisis.

She immediately tells us when we walk in the door that her hearing aid does not work. They are new and require an appointment for diagnosis of problem or we have to sit around and wait in case of an opening.

I ask her when it stopped working and she said 3 days after she got it which was weeks ago. She knew we were busy and did not want to inconvenience us. DUH, what is she doing now making it more of a crisis? She does this over and over.

iris lilies
9-5-21, 9:53am
Sorry about MIL! My neighbor has a mother who plays the “oh I don’t want to bother you “game but the systems she puts into place to solve the problem, whatever it may be, require so much untangling and complexity that he expends three times as much time than he would solving it at the beginning.

razz
9-5-21, 12:24pm
Sweetana3, that is frustrating to deal with.

Is there a senior support system in her area that she can contact with a problem or need for service giving her independence rather than leaning on you? Our local agency provides a ride for a modest fee to whatever support is needed - dentist, doctor, medical tests, etc. Not intruding in your situation with MIL but suggesting a possible cause and solution that you could oversee or arrange.

iris lilies
9-5-21, 12:44pm
I guess I just have to file this under “Life in St. Louis: “

A Nextdoor thread has residents arguing over the definition of “Active shooter.” Last night a man in the neighborhood next to mine stood in the steeet shooting his rifle. There is video of him doing this. Then, he ran toward a building ? with people in it? with his gun, but apparently ? not shooting?

Active shooter? Or not. What a dilemma! Let us debate that act of tomfoolery endlessly.

oh yeah and after 20 minutes the cops still had not come.

sweetana3
9-5-21, 3:08pm
Razz, it really was just a rant.

We see her often to take her to get her groceries but for some reason she has decided that she will ambush us with problems instead of having a rational conversation when something happens. I do expect her to tell us when she needs to go somewhere and I have set boundaries of not scheduling doctor appointments first thing in the morning so I do not have to drive thru rush hour traffic. This set off a huge issue with her. I also do not do window shopping so she needs to know what she needs and have a list before we go shopping since I no longer will just take a day and drive around "shopping".

We order anything special on Amazon and have it delivered and have done this in the past especially last year. All she needs to do is ask. (I guess I am rambling again but she is so irritating to be around right now. The complex has again cancelled all activities and are req. masks due to rise in cases. )

razz
9-5-21, 4:00pm
I can understand anyone feeling ambushed, sweetana, under these circumstances.

Teacher Terry
9-5-21, 4:37pm
I L, I am going to guess that you won’t miss how your neighborhood has evolved.

pinkytoe
9-5-21, 6:23pm
Speaking of neighbors...my rant is that the neighbor behind us has decided to renovate a camper in the alley. Literally hours every day of sandblasting, welding, spray painting, hammering. I guess he doesn't realize how much it is impacting our quality of life. We have to close all the back windows and stay indoors. I have lots of gardening to do back there but it is hard to be around the noise, smell and dust for any length of time. There...got that off my chest.

iris lilies
9-6-21, 10:32am
I just accepted a chairman position in a garden club organization that has 43 standing committees, each with a chairman.

43. And this is not even at the state level.

I think you can imagine how unnecessary is most of the business conducted at their meetings. I did tell the incoming president that I wasn’t going to guarantee my presence at meetings. Fortunately they only have two business meetings a year, plus an annual long drawn out luncheon meeting that goes on and on forever. The luncheons were nice in the years they were held at a country club, but lately they’ve been held at a plain vanilla location.

And the HUGE irony is that the National GardenClub Headquarters building sits on a fabulous site with a wonderful and expensive mid century modern building and—WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THAT BUILDING for most all garden club activities. No flower shows (perfect location!) no luncheons, no special events and only occasional club meetings which are blocked in Covid times.

Insane.

I call it “the palace of garden clubs” where no garden club members or gardeners are allowed to enter. The palace is a quiet, lovely building where no one ever goes except for the office staff.

happystuff
9-6-21, 10:37am
I just accepted a chairman position in a garden club organization that has 43 standing chairman.

43. And this is not even at the state level.

I think you can imagine how useless are most of these meetings. I did tell the incoming president that I wasn’t going to guarantee my presence at meetings. Fortunately they only have two business meetings a year, plus an annual long drawn out once and that goes on and on forever. The luncheon’s were nice in the years they were held at a country club, but lately they’ve been held at a not so great location.

I didn’t resign from a paid job in order to sit through endless meetings in my retirement. I believe that ZOOM has lessened the intensity of mindless drivel produced in some meetings.

With all these negatives you posted, why in the world did you accept?

iris lilies
9-6-21, 11:11am
With all these negatives you posted, why in the world did you accept?

This is the only group that trains flower show judges for design and also sponsors many flowers shows. I am all about the Flower Shows and floral designing for shows as you well know.

In order for those activities to take place, someone has to do the work. That’s why I draw boundaries around what I’m going to do —may not attend many meetings,—-may not do this, may not do that, etc. but will definitely do my committee job.

It’s funny that I have a big job at the state level and will be out of town doing flower show stuff when this local annual luncheon is held. So I have a really good “excuse “not to attend the annual dull luncheon.

happystuff
9-6-21, 11:15am
Then, congrats! I'm glad the position will provide you with some enjoyment.

Yppej
9-6-21, 11:17am
Wanted to replace a broken miniblind I bought at Home Depot. Went there with it and they said it was an irregular size and their miniblind cutter is broken. The next nearest Home Depot doesn't have a miniblind cutter. Tried Lowe's and they don't carry that blind. Went to a further away Home Depot and got lost as streets were closed for a Labor Day parade. Finally saw the store but big SUVs were blocking the entrance. Decided to access the parking lot from an adjacent business, didn't notice a curb, and drove over it. The car appears fine. I get in the store and a very nice woman measures twice and assures me it's a standard size and doesn't need to be cut. I get home and it fits perfectly.

Both at Home Depot and Lowe's all the staff were wearing masks and they had big help wanted signs up. Hmmm - do you think there's any correlation there?

What should have taken 40 minutes took 2 hours and 40 minutes because of incompetence at the first Home Depot and probably turnover of knowledgeable staff due to stupid mask mandates.

jp1
9-6-21, 12:30pm
What should have taken 40 minutes took 2 hours and 40 minutes because of incompetence at the first Home Depot and probably turnover of knowledgeable staff due to stupid mask mandates.

Projection. It's not just for movie theatres.

Yppej
9-6-21, 12:34pm
Projection. It's not just for movie theatres.

Just because I have been thinking of a second job this winter but won't take one with a mask mandate doesn't mean other people don't feel the same.

Correct me if I am wrong but you have spent the entire pandemic working from home mask free earning a good salary sitting at a computer, not earning low wages standing on your feet and walking around all day while wearing a mask.

jp1
9-6-21, 7:37pm
Just because I have been thinking of a second job this winter but won't take one with a mask mandate doesn't mean other people don't feel the same.

Correct me if I am wrong but you have spent the entire pandemic working from home mask free earning a good salary sitting at a computer, not earning low wages standing on your feet and walking around all day while wearing a mask.

Why would you assume that if I had a public facing job that I wouldn’t. care enough about the health and safety of my family to do what I could to avoid bringing covid home to them? Again, that sounds like projection. The majority of us don’t have an irrational hatred of masks.

happystuff
9-6-21, 7:48pm
Why would you assume that if I had a public facing job that I wouldn’t care enough about the health and safety of my family to do what I could to avoid bringing covid home to them? Again, that sounds like projection. The majority of us don’t have an irrational hatred of masks.

jp1 - I spent 8 months working 8 - 10 hours a day, in a warehouse, walking 13 -20 miles a night picking merchandise - WITH A MASK ON! It is very doable! ROFLOL. It can and IS being done by a lot of people all over the country WITHOUT the whining and complaining that Yppej does! I now work in a public school - first day is tomorrow, but ALL staff, visitors, and - starting tomorrow- students will be masked. I'm thinking the hundreds of kids will do way less whining than just one Yppej has done/continues to do. I truly believe that, because she doesn't care, she believes nobody else does either, and she can't seem to comprehend that others actually DO care! As has been suggested by the moderators - let it go and don't respond.

Yppej
9-6-21, 8:01pm
Why would you assume that if I had a public facing job that I wouldn’t. care enough about the health and safety of my family to do what I could to avoid bringing covid home to them? Again, that sounds like projection. The majority of us don’t have an irrational hatred of masks.

When one week in the supermarket you see half the staff wearing masks and the next week all of them, and you ask the store manager about it, it is not an assumption. I have facts.

People in my area do care about covid prevention. We have the second best vaccination rate in the country per capita after Vermont. But for some micromanagers nothing is ever good enough.

In my state the minimum age for all types of jobs is above the minimum age for vaccination.

jp1
9-6-21, 9:54pm
For a few weeks after I was fully vaxxed until mid July I didn’t wear a mask in public either. Then the data started rolling in that showed that delta is infecting a not insignificant number of people who have been vaxxed and that those people could also spread the virus to others. That’s just how science works. I wear a mask when out in public because masks slow the spread of covid in both directions. If I found out that I was infected and had been asymptomatically or pre-symptomatically sharing my germs with random people at the grocery store or wherever without taking basic precautions to limit my harm to others I would be quite upset. There are lots of older people at the store, including some of the cashiers. The thought that I hadn’t done what I easily could to limit the likelihood that I might harm another individual is not one that I would like to have. Obviously a lot of Americans are more of the ‘frail people need to take care of themselves. It’s not my problem so **** ‘em if they catch this from me’ attitude but that isn’t an attitude that I am willing to take. Your mileage may differ.

Yppej
9-7-21, 4:32am
Frail people do need to take care of themselves by getting vaccinated.

Yppej
9-8-21, 8:55pm
Since I have to keep going back to the Board of Health anyways (since my mask issue is not resolved) I decided to rant to them about the awful job the trash company is doing and I am filing a petition to not allow the subcontractor to bid on future contracts. In the good old days the trash was picked up by municipal employees who were reliable (the good union jobs with pensions always being sought after by many qualified applicants) and they cared about the quality of the work they did because they usually lived in the community they served. This privatization to the lowest bidder regardless of how shoddy the job they do is awful. This sub keeps getting their contract renewed regardless of performance. Enough is enough!

iris lilies
9-11-21, 2:30pm
Apparently my car that sits on the street had its catalytic converter stolen on Thursday night.I say “apparently “because the engine is super loud when I start it up now. DH is in Herman and can’t check it out for sure, but he said via email that’s probably the case.

Well, the lads around here “got their needs met “which is a concept I hear all too often on Nextdoor forums about the thievery and the thugery around these parts.

catherine
9-11-21, 2:56pm
What??? Isn't a catalytic converter kind of hard to remove? And why??? Are they valuable on the black market? That is a bummer, IL.

iris lilies
9-11-21, 2:58pm
What??? Isn't a catalytic converter kind of hard to remove? And why??? Are they valuable on the black market? That is a bummer, IL.
Oh my dear white lady in white land ( Vermont.) The theft of catalytic converter’s is rife all over urban areas and has been for the past 18 months or so. The practiced criminal element gets pretty good at cutting them out, it’s a 2-3 minute job.

catherine
9-11-21, 3:11pm
Oh my dear white lady in white land ( Vermont.) The theft of catalytic converter’s is rife all over urban areas and has been for the past 18 months or so. The practiced criminal element gets pretty good at cutting them out, it’s a 2-3 minute job.

:|( Apologies for my white privilege speaking. Now I'm going to go out and see if anyone has been tampering with my riding mower.

happystuff
9-11-21, 3:23pm

OMG - sometimes you really do make me laugh!

Sorry about the loss of your catalytic converter. Hope nothing else in the car was damaged by the quick removal.

Teacher Terry
9-11-21, 4:11pm
That happened yesterday to my friend’s husband who works at a casino. Apparently there’s a cage you can buy to protect it but it’s not cheap. Luckily my parking spot is under the building in the back instead of a carport in the front.

iris lilies
9-11-21, 4:45pm
That happened yesterday to my friend’s husband who works at a casino. Apparently there’s a cage you can buy to protect it but it’s not cheap. Luckily my parking spot is under the building in the back instead of a carport in the front.

I’m expecting this event to cost us around $450 and that includes one of the cages. But look what the lads have done for the economy! Getting some metal moving through it! Drumming up business for auto repairman! It’s an economic win-win.

happystuff
9-11-21, 4:47pm
I’m expecting this event to cost us around $450 and that includes one of the cages. But look what the lads have done for the economy! Getting some metal moving through it! Drumming up business for auto repairman! It’s an economic win-win.

Not for those who have difficulty paying for the replacement/damage to their cars.

iris lilies
9-11-21, 5:41pm
Not for those who have difficulty paying for the replacement/damage to their cars.
I think you are missing my implied /sarcasm tag but I guess that is on me, for failing to provide it.

Please do understand that some in my Nextdoor forum neighborhood would think that anyone who has an automobile is better off than the young men who were only getting their needs met by removing catalytic converters.

happystuff
9-11-21, 5:45pm
I think you are missing my implied /sarcasm tag but I guess that is on me, for failing to provide it.

Please do understand that some in my Nextdoor forum neighborhood would think that anyone who has an automobile is better off than the young men who were only getting their needs met by removing catalytic converters.

Got the sarcasm to the "white (vermont)", etc. Missed it on the "economic win-win". I was just saying that, to all parties involved, it doesn't - in my opinion - equate to a "win-win".

Jane v2.0
9-11-21, 6:07pm
Acquaintances in Vancouver had theirs stolen in a busy Fred Meyer parking lot while they were shopping a week or so ago, so I'm guessing removing them isn't difficult or time-consuming.

sweetana3
9-11-21, 6:18pm
People can find bulk buyers of catalytic converters right on Facebook Marketplace. Sad. Happening around our city and they are hitting buses like those for churches and non profits. Got a lot of Ring and other security camera pictures and videos of the thieves. But hard to catch them.

GeorgeParker
9-11-21, 6:33pm
Acquaintances in Vancouver had theirs stolen in a busy Fred Meyer parking lot while they were shopping a week or so ago, so I'm guessing removing them isn't difficult or time-consuming.Busy parking lot. Daytime. You see someone in dirty overalls doing something underneath a car. What percentage of the population would think "He's probably stealing something" vs "He's a mechanic fixing someone's car."

Related: Pickup truck tailgates are easy to steal because they are intentionally made to come off easy for convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCLscENAgEA

SteveinMN
9-11-21, 8:04pm
The topper is that almost all of these easily-removed items get sold for scrap (recycling) rather than filling in the used-auto-parts supply line (reuse).

Converter theft is a thing around the Twin Cities, too, including the suburbs. To some extent it's even easier in the suburbs because there are fewer people out and about and those Ring doorbell cameras can only see so far. The difficult part is finding a suburb or HOA that actually lets people park on the street.

Teacher Terry
9-12-21, 2:19am
People in your Nextdoor IL are crazy. Their thinking is bizarre. So the thieves were stupid and came back the next day and were caught.

Tradd
9-13-21, 1:07pm
That’s a big problem in the Chicago area as well - catalytic converter theft.

Yppej
9-13-21, 2:26pm
I asked my dealership about it and they don't sell a cage. They said a Sawzalle is very loud and you would hear it if someone were trying to strip your car.

ToomuchStuff
9-14-21, 2:18am
I asked my dealership about it and they don't sell a cage. They said a Sawzalle is very loud and you would hear it if someone were trying to strip your car.

Half truth.
Yes, a Sawzall (brand name of reciprocating saw, like Kleenax) is loud. That is NOT what they are generally using. They use tail pipe cutters (similar to a plumbers chain, drain waste pipe cutter), a pipe cutter (plumbing, fencing tool), a battery powered angle grinder (quicker then a reciprocating saw), or an oscillating multitool (what my LEO relative said was common, quick and quiet).

Yppej
9-19-21, 7:10am
So the plumber suggested a liquid dispenser for a third empty hole at the base of the kitchen sink and I figured sure it will look better than a bottle of dish detergent covering up the hole where decades ago one of those old sprayers was.

So it is something like this but a higher quality brand:

https://www.amazon.com/Avola-Kitchen-Dispenser-Commercial-Brushed/dp/B01EHKVX4U/ref=asc_df_B01EHKVX4U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193154746027&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=470405844598100008&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001771&hvtargid=pla-307749398333&psc=1

The dish detergent oozes out onto it. It comes from the top where it goes up to get into the pump and lands up on top of the bottom part that you see in the picture. It seeps there so I will walk by a couple hours after using the sink and there is blue Dawn dish detergent on it. It appears securely installed. Wish I never got it. Looks aren't everything.

I am reading online this is a common problem.

iris lilies
9-19-21, 8:57am
Well, our repair bill dor stolen catalytic converter was $950.00.ouch.

catherine
9-19-21, 4:20pm
Well, our repair bill dor stolen catalytic converter was $950.00.ouch.

OMG. So sorry, IL.

GeorgeParker
9-22-21, 2:18pm
Just bought enough minutes for my Tracfone to last another year, but the website popped up this notice while I was there:

This is most likely 5G sh*t. >:( At the very least it means the equipment on cellphone towers is being gradually updated by switching more and more of the nodes on each tower to a newer transmission standard/protocol, which means there is less and less bandwidth available for phones that use the old protocol/standard. The bottom line is, I'll almost certainly have to stop using my perfectly good cellphone before it actually breaks or wears out and buy a newer phone.

Yppej
9-22-21, 2:33pm
Just bought enough minutes for my Tracfone to last another year, but the website popped up this notice while I was there:

This is most likely 5G sh*t. >:( At the very least it means the equipment on cellphone towers is being gradually updated by switching more and more of the nodes on each tower to a newer transmission standard/protocol, which means there is less and less bandwidth available for phones that use the old protocol/standard. The bottom line is, I'll almost certainly have to stop using my perfectly good cellphone before it actually breaks or wears out and buy a newer phone.

I had to replace my phone. It's 3G that is going away. You need to switch to 4G or 5G. I do like my new phone because it is Bluetooth compatible so I can legally talk and drive at the same time. I paid $60.00 plus sales tax for it.

rosarugosa
9-23-21, 6:53am

George: We use Tracfone too, and we upgraded our phones last year when hearing that our phones would stop working "soon." We may have jumped the gun on that, but my newer phone is SO much better than my previous phone that I'm still glad I made the upgrade. I have the Samsung A10e and DH has the A20. We got them both through Tracfone.

ToomuchStuff
9-23-21, 9:29am

Agreed it is 3g going away. I bought an Alcatel 4G flip phone last year to switch to, as the new Nokia wasn't available in the USA yet. (could get grey market)
When my boss passed, all of a sudden, I needed a smart phone. Based on my needs the newest 5G was way more then I wanted to spend and the specs I wanted were on a 4G phone for $120. My flip then went to an inlaws elderly mother, who just needs a basic phone.

GeorgeParker
9-23-21, 10:23am
George: We use Tracfone too, and we upgraded our phones last year when hearing that our phones would stop working "soon." We may have jumped the gun on that, but my newer phone is SO much better than my previous phone that I'm still glad I made the upgrade. I have the Samsung A10e and DH has the A20. We got them both through Tracfone.But those are smart phones! I HATE smart phones! I refuse to have a smart phone unless there is no other cell phone available in the entire universe.

Yppej
9-23-21, 11:13am
But those are smart phones! I HATE smart phones! I refuse to have a smart phone unless there is no other cell phone available in the entire universe.

You can have a smart phone and keep the data turned off like I do. That keeps your bill low.

GeorgeParker
9-23-21, 11:43am
You can have a smart phone and keep the data turned off like I do. That keeps your bill low.And do you still get text messages (which I don't want to turn off)? And are you absolutely certain that malicious text messages can't turn data back on by planting malware on your phone?

I don't need a smart phone, don't want one, and there's no way I will ever run the risk of having one as long as there is any reasonable alternative available.

Yppej
9-23-21, 11:49am
Yes, I still get text messages. Don't click on links in them.

herbgeek
9-23-21, 11:54am
I HATE smart phones!

How can you say you hate something you've never used/aren't familiar with? What is it about smart phones that you are so determined to not want?

GeorgeParker
9-23-21, 11:58am
Yes, I still get text messages. Don't click on links in them.As a semi-intelligent semi-computergeek I choose not to run the risk of receiving a text message containing auto-execute code that does it's dirty work without you clicking on anything. YMMV

iris lilies
9-23-21, 11:59am
How can you say you hate something you've never used/aren't familiar with? What is it about smart phones that you are so determined to not want?
I’m not George but I can answer for me:

I hate my cell phone because the screen is tiny and I can’t do any real work on it. Currently I use it for emergency outgoing calls and GPS access when I’m traveling. I will sometimes give people my cell phone number but I tell them don’t expect to reach me on it because I don’t carry it and I don’t answer it.

Oddly, I get audio calls on my iPad devices. I’ve no longer try to figure out why that works sometimes.

I hate portable phones in general because they always have to be plugged in. Seems like every time I reach for it when I’m at home it’s out of juice. I did recently fix that though by having a multi port charger where all of my devices sit on the counter charging up.

When we move I will have to get rid of landline though and use a cell phone. But I will not use it for anything other than calls. Well, I do like texting so maybe I’ll use it for that.

GeorgeParker
9-23-21, 12:12pm
How can you say you hate something you've never used/aren't familiar with? What is it about smart phones that you are so determined to not want?Haven't used???? Not familiar with????

I spent the last 12 years of my working career in a warehouse that received used cell phones, repaired them, tested them, and sent them back out to customers. I've probably handled, tested, explored, and discussed more smartphones with more knowledgeable people than you could ever imagine. Even though I don't own one and don't trust them and I hate the idea that I might be forced to own one, I am still very well informed about them.

If smartphones ever become truly secure against malware and other malicious activities, which they won't, I would be willing to use one of them just like I use my computer, but until then I see absolutely no reason to use a risky device that I don't need and don't want, especially if it comes with a high price tag or a high per-minute usage fee.

Alan
9-23-21, 12:37pm
As a semi-intelligent semi-computergeek I choose not to run the risk of receiving a text message containing auto-execute code that does it's dirty work without you clicking on anything. YMMVGranted I'm not fully up-to-speed on current malware risks but I'm not familiar with any auto-execute code embedded in text messages that aren't immediately identified and patched in up-to-date os's. I have read about a 'flubot' malware attack through text messages which requires the victim to follow a link and install a malicious app in hopes of correcting a fake problem or receive some sort of fake benefit mentioned in the original text message. I believe that particular attack is limited to Android phones on which the user has disabled specific security settings which I'm sure a 'semi-intelligent semi-computergeek' would not do even if he were foolish enough to follow a link sent by persons unknown.

As for smart phones, I love them. Just this morning as I sat in a hospital waiting room while my wife had covid testing, blood draw and chest x-ray prior to an upcoming surgery I was able to read up-to-the-minute news reports, enjoy a video call with my grandson, monitor real time stock and market updates and check in to the admin side of this site to clear out the half dozen or so spammers which I find during my twice per day check-in attempting to make accounts for nefarious purposes.

To each their own I guess but personally I find smart phones to be perhaps the greatest and most useful consumer invention of the 21st century. I think their utilitarian benefits clearly outweigh any statistically improbable dangers currently outstanding.

Teacher Terry
9-23-21, 2:12pm
I love my smartphone. Actually if I wasn’t still doing some consulting and needing a computer for reports I wouldn’t even need a computer. I have books and the newspaper on my phone.

GeorgeParker
9-23-21, 2:27pm
Granted I'm not fully up-to-speed on current malware risks but I'm not familiar with any auto-execute code embedded in text messages that aren't immediately identified and patched in up-to-date os's.Are you familiar with Pegasus? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware) Were you concerned about it 3 months ago before it became big news.

Are you aware that Apple recently released security updates for its devices after researchers identified a so-called "zero-click" exploit affecting its iMessage messaging service? https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/09/14/apple-iphone-ios-14-8-patches-security-exploit-used-by-pegasus-spyware

By the time people like you and I hear about a new virus or malware exploit that is actually being used, the bad guys have often been using it undetected for weeks, months, or even years. Software and computer operating systems are so complex now and involve so many people in their creation that finding all the little goofs and unintentional backdoors is almost impossible until someone notices an intrusion and is savvy enough to figure out how it was done.

So I have no doubt that zero-click exploits via text message either are out there already or will be. And I see no reason to use a smartphone if all I need is text messages and plain old voice phone calls. But like you said, to each his own.

Alan
9-23-21, 3:00pm
Are you familiar with Pegasus? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware) Were you concerned about it 3 months ago before it became big news.

Are you aware that Apple recently released security updates for its devices after researchers identified a so-called "zero-click" exploit affecting its iMessage messaging service? https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/09/14/apple-iphone-ios-14-8-patches-security-exploit-used-by-pegasus-spyware

By the time people like you and I hear about a new virus or malware exploit that is actually being used, the bad guys have often been using it undetected for weeks, months, or even years. Software and computer operating systems are so complex now and involve so many people in their creation that finding all the little goofs and unintentional backdoors is almost impossible until someone notices an intrusion and is savvy enough to figure out how it was done.

So I have no doubt that zero-click exploits via text message either are out there already or will be. And I see no reason to use a smartphone if all I need is text messages and plain old voice phone calls. But like you said, to each his own.
Yes, I remember Pegasus from several years ago, but I've never concerned myself with it since it's used by foreign governments (and perhaps our own) for their own nefarious purposes against people they've identified as threats and I'm not paranoid enough to believe I'd be a target. No one can hide from the NSA. But if you're concerned about bad actors finding your banking details or private correspondence I'd be more concerned with your local ISP or the folks at Amazon or Facebook mining your transaction histories. But maybe that's just me.

herbgeek
9-23-21, 4:11pm
So I have no doubt that zero-click exploits via text message either are out there already or will be.

So what protects a "dumb" phone from such exploits, as they have text messaging as well?

GeorgeParker
9-23-21, 4:36pm
So what protects a "dumb" phone from such exploits, as they have text messaging as well?A dumb phone isn't a computer. So no way for it to run a computer program. So the only data a dumb phone can send and receive is text.

jp1
9-24-21, 5:54am
I’]

Oddly, I get audio calls on my iPad devices. I’ve no longer try to figure out why that works sometimes.

Is the phone an iPhone? If both the iPhone and iPad are logged into the same apple account the iPad will ring when you get phone calls. I’ve never tried answering my iPad so I have no idea if I can actually accept the calls that come in. (It’s an old second or third generation non-cellular iPad)

iris lilies
9-24-21, 6:36am
Is the phone an iPhone? If both the iPhone and iPad are logged into the same apple account the iPad will ring when you get phone calls. I’ve never tried answering my iPad so I have no idea if I can actually accept the calls that come in. (It’s an old second or third generation non-cellular iPad)
Yes, Ipads and Iphone. I can answer the Ipads, some of them anyway.

Alan
9-24-21, 9:38am

If you have multiple iDevices logged in using the same Apple ID you can answer calls on any device, that is if you have enabled the 'Calls on other devices' switch on your iPhone's 'Settings' - 'Cellular' option. My wife answers calls on her iPad all the time.

You can also make a call from your iPad even though it doesn't have the traditional phone app installed, just go to your Contacts and tap on whoever you want to call, then when that contact's info comes up tap the 'Call' button below their name.

catherine
9-24-21, 9:45am
If you have multiple iDevices logged in using the same Apple ID you can answer calls on any device, that is if you have enabled the 'Calls on other devices' switch on your iPhone's 'Settings' - 'Cellular' option. My wife answers calls on her iPad all the time.

You can also make a call from your iPad even though it doesn't have the traditional phone app installed, just go to your Contacts and tap on whoever you want to call, then when that contact's info comes up tap the 'Call' button below their name.

Thank you for this. I get phone calls through my computer, iPad and Apple Watch. Very convenient, but wiith Zoom meetings, sometimes I have been very rudely interrupted by phone calls coming in through the device I'm having a meeting with. So, my practice now is to put my phone on DND during meetings, but this is really good to know in case I want to simply dis-enable that function so that I can get phone call alerts on vibrate.

Alan
9-24-21, 10:11am
Thank you for this. I get phone calls through my computer, iPad and Apple Watch. Unlike my wife and you, I don't use any other Apple products besides my iPhone and have noticed that my phone doesn't have the same 'Calls on other devices' option in my settings. I'm assuming that's because I'm not logged into multiple devices. If that's correct I find it interesting that the OS is smart enough to only give you options to features you can actually use.

ToomuchStuff
9-24-21, 10:24am
So what protects a "dumb" phone from such exploits, as they have text messaging as well?

A dumb phone IS a computer, but it is a dedicated computer, in the way a calculator is. A regular computer loads the hardware on bootup (phone does that when turned on), then the software that allows a human to interact loads next (same with a smart phone).
Unfortunately, there are no dumb phones in 4G or later that I am aware of. The closest I am aware of are the Acatel and new Nokia (that reuses an old model number), that use KAI OS (modified Android), and some startups, such as the Pinephone and the Purism phone. These are all still software phones.

Someone mentioned battery life. My old candybar phone, I charged once a week. Most smart phones require charging once a day, depending on use and habits (leaving things on you are not using). Having good habits of turning things off (bluetooth, wireless, etc) and wanting a more durable phone, what I ended up with has an 8000Mah battery (average battery I saw was 3000Mah). It goes once a week between charges but could actually go longer.

GeorgeParker
9-24-21, 12:17pm
A dumb phone IS a computer, but it is a dedicated computer, in the way a calculator is. A regular computer loads the hardware on bootup (phone does that when turned on), then the software that allows a human to interact loads next (same with a smart phone).As a semi-geek I define "computer" as a computer that has an operating system that will run whatever software the user chooses to load onto it. IOW a computer is what they used to call a "programmable computer". Non-programmable computers and limited function computers (like a programmable calculator) don't fit the current definition of the word "computer". So a dumb phone is not a computer, it is an electronic device with built-in functions whose settings can be altered but whose processes can't be altered except by reflashing it with a different/updated operating system.

Flashing defined (in case anyone doesn't already know what it means) https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-happens-to-phones-when-they-are-flashed

Alan
9-24-21, 12:37pm
As a semi-geek I define "computer" as a computer that has an operating system that will run whatever software the user chooses to load onto it. So I'm assuming you're using a personal computer running either Microsoft, Mac, Linux or Chrome operating system to surf the web for the copious number of links you share with us as well as for sending/receiving emails, interacting with whatever social media platforms that may strike your fancy and perhaps even shopping or interacting with your bank or other financial institution. This makes me wonder about your stated hatred for smart phones, which as you imply are essentially computers with telephone capabilities, as if one hardware platform was inherently more dangerous than another. Of course it's none of my concern but I do find it odd, am I missing something?

JaneV2.0
9-24-21, 1:00pm
I consider my cell a necessary tool that is always handy, and I occasionally use it to listen to TuneIn, but I vastly prefer my laptop when home. Like IrisLilies, I find the tiny screen irritating. I also like my landline for the occasional call--much better sound quality.

GeorgeParker
9-24-21, 1:14pm
This makes me wonder about your stated hatred for smart phones, which as you imply are essentially computers with telephone capabilities, as if one hardware platform was inherently more dangerous than another. Of course it's none of my concern but I do find it odd, am I missing something?Yes, you're overlooking the fact that some hardware and some software and some computer operating systems are indeed more dangerous than others. I use a reasonably safe operating system running reasonably safe software vetted by the FLOSS community that oversees that operating system. My computer is hardwired to the internet via a modem that has a password of my choosing protecting it's settings. That modem acts as a NAT router. There is a hardware firewall+router between the modem and my computer. My computer OS also has a built-in firewall, which is turned on. And installing or updating software or the OS requires entering the password of my Admin account, which is only used for that purpose, never for general internet access.

So on the whole I'd say my internet access is safer than the average wifi user and much safer than using a smartphone. Therefore I'm definitely more cautious than the average bear, even though none of us can be completely safe online or IRL.

Alan
9-24-21, 1:43pm
Ahh, a Linux user, I approve! I think that makes you the third such user I'm aware of on this site. I still don't agree with the stated aversions to smart phones though, even a semi geek can protect their smart phone just as well as their pc. No worries though if you're just not interested.

By the way, what's your favorite flavor? As a semi-geek myself I keep one laptop for playing around with different distros, usually Ubuntu based, just to see various communities take on the core Linux kernel. Currently dual booting Mint and Elementary but have my eye on the newer MX Linux distro which I may install soon.

Alan
9-24-21, 2:28pm
My computer is hardwired to the internet via a modem that has a password of my choosing protecting it's settings. That modem acts as a NAT router. There is a hardware firewall+router between the modem and my computer. My computer OS also has a built-in firewall, which is turned on. And installing or updating software or the OS requires entering the password of my Admin account, which is only used for that purpose, never for general internet access.

As a longtime geek myself, I'll admit to spending quite a bit of time and effort from the early 90's onward to teach myself the basics of computers, networking and IS security. The following diagram represents a moment in time of my home network roughly 20 years ago. It's been severely downscaled since then while still being upgraded significantly, if you know what I mean. ;)

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/242844283_967326923845938_7863936720806253684_n.pn g?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=svAD8qHkmRIAX8_6Vcy&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=99d5a145b48e916146c17eec8f30936e&oe=61749460

GeorgeParker
9-24-21, 2:32pm
Ahh, a Linux user, I approve! I think that makes you the third such user I'm aware of on this site....By the way, what's your favorite flavor?At the moment it's straight Ubuntu 20.04.03 LTS with daily security updates, mostly for the simplicity of not having to tinker with the system very often and not having to wait for a flavor to release it's version of the most recent Ubuntu LTS (not as much of a problem as it used to be IMO). I'm not geeky enough to enjoy Debian, Fedora, CentOS, or OpenSUSE although I have looked at all of them over the years. At this point, I basically want to just install the OS, set everything up the way I like it, and not have to mess with it until I'm ready to install the next LTS version. At this point, playing with Python and doing actual productive work (finances, journal, annoying SLF members ;)) is a lot more interesting to me than tinkering with different OSs. KWIM?

I still don't agree with the stated aversions to smart phones though, even a semi geek can protect their smart phone just as well as their pc.I also have an aversion to commercial TV, because the constant commercial interruptions make me crazy. But I doubt anyone here would object to that or argue against it.

herbgeek
9-24-21, 2:34pm
Wow. Compaq! Win XP! Those bring back memories! (not always good ones ;)). Your old home network looked like my QA department network with the number of nodes/hubs/routers. Impressive.

ToomuchStuff
9-24-21, 11:31pm
So I'm assuming you're using a personal computer running either Microsoft, Mac, Linux or Chrome operating system to surf the web for the copious number of links you share with us as well as for sending/receiving emails, interacting with whatever social media platforms that may strike your fancy and perhaps even shopping or interacting with your bank or other financial institution.

Come on man, you forgot the BSD's, Free, Open, Dragon, etc.

I still miss the days of getting to play more with the computers. I was looking at playing with Linux from Scratch and Slackware, when all the employers medical stuff, happened.

Alan
9-25-21, 4:32am
Come on man, you forgot the BSD's, Free, Open, Dragon, etc.
I played with FreeBSD back in the late 90's and thought it was pretty cool, however my impression is it's mostly used these days in servers and embedded devices rather than desktops. Sorry for the omission. :|(

Alan
9-25-21, 12:55pm
But honestly there are probably 500 versions, branches, flavors, and offshoots of Linux. That's what made the BSD family a little more intriguing, they're more an offshoot of Unix.

ToomuchStuff
9-25-21, 2:51pm
And if you really want to have fun playing with a computer, learn how to write programs in assembly language.

NO thank you. I was expected to be the computer guy in school, after a sibling was and did programing actually for the school (choose credits over cash, regretted that).

True. BSD was an offshoot of Unix whereas GNU/Linux was a work-alike OS that mimicked Unix. And both had more than their fair share of copyright infringement lawsuits thrown at them.

After all the computers I have had access to (from punch cards, through Timex Sinclair 1000, Atari, Apple's, Amiga's, Commodores, Tandy, IBM, etc), when my Windows 3.1 machine died (lightning), I decided to build my next computer. I went NT 4.0 and Redhat 5.2, while my sibling went from Atari to Windows 95. Over the next few years, the sibling was working on getting me to switch to 98 so we could game. (why do you want to learn networking, etc)
I attended a Linux training class, from a VERY infamous company, that handed out their last model distro, while selling the 2.4 version of Caldera. I remember that whole being threatened by the company that made me a customer thing.

Still check on Hurd on occasion. But very happy that things like the Raspberry PI's have come along.

iris lilies
10-28-21, 11:31am
Well it has been a month since someone placed a rant here, so I will update this thread:

Today I am complaining because I cannot have All the Dogs.

Our bulldog is flaky with other dogs. Our city house isn’t conducive to managing multiple dogs who do not get along except in an emergency situation.

I miss having foster dogs. I miss having other dogs in and out of our house. Our Hermann property is not dog friendly yet because there’s no fence for him, and it’s still dirty and under construction and the only clean place he could live would be down in the basement. So I cannot send him to Herman to be with his dad several days each week. My condo has no furniture and no kitchen so it is not habitable. I can’t move into this condo temporarily to take a dog.

There is a perfect little darling dog in rescue right now who needs surgery and will need a place to recover. I would love to take care of this little girl but… I cannot do it right now.

Yesterday our head of rescue brought over one of her dogs to visit me because I was jonesing for another bulldog experience. I needed to get my hands on a fat bodied/wrinkled face bulldog. This guy, J.J., came to visit:

happystuff
10-28-21, 12:03pm
Awww... so sorry, IL. I predict - the minute any/all of the abodes are livable - you will once again be over-run with dogs!!!!

iris lilies
10-28-21, 12:18pm
Awww... so sorry, IL. I predict - the minute any/all of the abodes are livable - you will once again be over-run with dogs!!!!
Yes! I am looking forward to living in Hermann where our house has three rooms on the first floor with doors that close, so we could easily have a foster dog and shut dogs away from each other. Plus, I could do a condo live-in stint with a dog. Secretly, I would like to dognap J.J. and hole up with him for a week in my tiny condo. He is one of those special dogs—-funny, laid-back, confident.

catherine
10-28-21, 12:28pm
Yes! I am looking forward to living in Hermann where our house has three rooms on the first floor with doors that close, so we could easily have a foster dog and shut dogs away from each other. Plus, I could do a condo live-in stint with a dog. Secretly, I would like to dognap J.J. and hole up with him for a week in my tiny condo. He is one of those special dogs—-funny, laid-back, confident.

How about adopting J.J., then fostering him out for a few months until the dust settles on your renovations?

iris lilies
10-28-21, 12:48pm
How about adopting J.J., then fostering him out for a few months until the dust settles on your renovations?
No, I can’t permanently adopt a dog that will not get along with my dog.keeping dogs in various rooms in Hermann would be a foster situation.

Our rescue head wouldn’t put J.J. in my house anyway because she knows how flaky our dog Whiskey is.

catherine
10-28-21, 12:53pm
No, I can’t permanently adopt a dog that will not get along with my dog.

Our rescue head wouldn’t put J.J. in my house anyway because she knows how flaky our dog Whiskey is.

Oh...bummer. How about creating a bulldog rescue and hiring someone to manage it and then you could go and play with the doggies whenever you want! (Just thinking out of the box.. I know it's not in the cards, but you'd be great at it.).

iris lilies
10-28-21, 1:25pm
Oh...bummer. How about creating a bulldog rescue and hiring someone to manage it and then you could go and play with the doggies whenever you want! (Just thinking out of the box.. I know it's not in the cards, but you'd be great at it.).
That is kind of what I already do. I’m on the board of local bulldog rescue because it affords me opportunity to play with multiple smoosh faced dogs.

Teacher Terry
10-28-21, 2:02pm
It does feel good to give a dog that needs one a home. Fostering is the perfect solution once your abodes are ready. I have to say I don’t miss having 4 dogs. Two is perfect.

catherine
10-28-21, 2:16pm
That is kind of what I already do. I’m on the board of local bulldog rescue because it affords me opportunity to play with multiple smoosh faced dogs.

That's awesome! Every time my neighbor bitches about all the geese coming from the lake onto our common land, despite her coyote decoys and firecrackers and CDs strung up with twine, the first thing I think of is, "If you guys [meaning all my neighbors]would only leave the vegetative buffer alone and not mow it all down to the nub the geese won't have easy access to our lawn! Duh!"

But then my second thought is, "Gee I could be the neighborhood hero if I get another border collie mix and let it out a couple of times a day to chase the geese away." Hmmm... maybe someday soon. But no new doggies wintertime in the wintertime.

LDAHL
10-29-21, 11:19am
That's awesome! Every time my neighbor bitches about all the geese coming from the lake onto our common land, despite her coyote decoys and firecrackers and CDs strung up with twine, the first thing I think of is, "If you guys [meaning all my neighbors]would only leave the vegetative buffer alone and not mow it all down to the nub the geese won't have easy access to our lawn! Duh!"

But then my second thought is, "Gee I could be the neighborhood hero if I get another border collie mix and let it out a couple of times a day to chase the geese away." Hmmm... maybe someday soon. But no new doggies wintertime in the wintertime.

You might have a business opportunity there. I used to work for a county government who had to contract with a guy who provided dogs specifically trained to chase geese. One of our golf courses was essentially unusable due to geese attacking golfers, and they became a significant hazard at our airport as well. This guy actually trained his dogs not to bark when chasing geese so as not to annoy the neighbors. Personally, I thought the noise created by large numbers of geese were worse than anything a half dozen dogs could manage.

catherine
10-29-21, 11:30am
You might have a business opportunity there. I used to work for a county government who had to contract with a guy who provided dogs specifically trained to chase geese. One of our golf courses was essentially unusable due to geese attacking golfers, and they became a significant hazard at our airport as well. This guy actually trained his dogs not to bark when chasing geese so as not to annoy the neighbors. Personally, I thought the noise created by large numbers of geese were worse than anything a half dozen dogs could manage.

Ha! That would be great idea, but my neighborhood is more "socialist" than "capitalist"--it's common land. We all share the mowing, and the guy who likes to do gravel, brings gravel for the path to the dock and the woman that loves a clean beach rakes away all the seaweed. So, I would love to be able to contribute a canine. But I certainly would not expect payment.

(If only our neighborhood's politico-ecosystem could be replicated on a larger scale :)

LDAHL
10-29-21, 12:30pm
Ha! That would be great idea, but my neighborhood is more "socialist" than "capitalist"--it's common land. We all share the mowing, and the guy who likes to do gravel, brings gravel for the path to the dock and the woman that loves a clean beach rakes away all the seaweed. So, I would love to be able to contribute a canine. But I certainly would not expect payment.

(If only our neighborhood's politico-ecosystem could be replicated on a larger scale :)

Or maybe your neighbors are evil crypto-capitalists building a case for adverse possession.

catherine
10-29-21, 12:45pm
Or maybe your neighbors are evil crypto-capitalists building a case for adverse possession.

Hmmm.. not sure my particular neighbors would even know what that is... and that includes me.

sweetana3
11-5-21, 6:18am
Pure and simple rant. Why does husband immediately turn on the TV loud when he is sitting and reading a book? Or go to the bathroom with the TV on and try to hold a conversation with me thru the door? Or in fact try to hold a conversation about something else when that darn TV is on?

razz
11-5-21, 9:30am
Brought back a lot of similar memories. I empathize.

iris lilies
11-5-21, 1:12pm
Pure and simple rant. Why does husband immediately turn on the TV loud when he is sitting and reading a book? Or go to the bathroom with the TV on and try to hold a conversation with me thru the door? Or in fact try to hold a conversation about something else when that darn TV is on?
I’ve come to the conclusion that men have different hearing capacity than women.

DH here at my house is happy when two noise boxes are going at the same time, the radio and the TV. If he can be on the phone OR talk to me in that situation, that seems to be Nirvana for him.

Teacher Terry
11-5-21, 1:16pm
That’s super annoying. My last ex was like that.

Tradd
11-5-21, 2:07pm
Iris, that’s funny!

My rant today is customers getting pissy that their containers are delayed. Can’t do a damned thing about it so yelling at me does no good at all. Got this after letting customer know of another delay. It’s been delayed for two weeks now. Into Oakland.

frugal-one
11-5-21, 5:53pm
DH leaves the tv on even when he goes outside to work. Leaves tv on for long periods when nowhere around it.

catherine
11-5-21, 6:07pm
Haha. Definitely a male thing (inviting males on this forum to defend yourselves). DH has to have the TV on, and because his hearing isn't what it used to be, it's LOUD! And then sometimes on top of that, he asks Alexa to blast I Got You Babe. Before I've had my coffee. Not good.

iris lilies
11-5-21, 6:11pm
DH leaves the tv on even when he goes outside to work. Leaves tv on for long periods when nowhere around it.
The only thing that saved my sanity during recent years of retirement is that we in this house always had a habit of never turning on television until after 6 pm and usually 7 pm.I only have to listen to radio, and after 10 am he doesn’t seem to mind if I turn it off. Since Rush died, there isn’t daily radio programs g I want to hear at home anyway.

Now that DH spends three or four days in Hermann every week, I have blessed silence. And now it’s weird that when he’s home here he no longer has to have the radio blaring all the time.

I was pretty worried about future one-floor living in Hermann, but I have since planned for one downstairs bedroom to be his TV room with a door that closes. Problem solved.

iris lilies
11-5-21, 6:19pm
Haha. Definitely a male thing (inviting males on this forum to defend yourselves). DH has to have the TV on, and because his hearing isn't what it used to be, it's LOUD! And then sometimes on top of that, he asks Alexa to blast I Got You Babe. Before I've had my coffee. Not good.

I would love to hear jp chime in on this topic since he has a household with two men. Do they co-exist happily with loud blaring noise boxes?

I would like to note that this is yet another reason why “open concept “homes are so F***KED up. The noise factor is extreme.

SteveinMN
11-5-21, 7:54pm
It's usually pretty quiet in our house. DW has some TV shows she likes to watch but the TV goes on when she watches them and she turns it off when she's done. There's also a TV downstairs she can watch while she works on "stuff". That one tends to get left on more than the upstairs TV, but, then, so does every light on that level, the heater (if she's using it), her computer and printer, and (it seems) anything else down there that has a power switch. *sigh*

If I am alone in the house I often (but not always) will turn on the stereo to listen to music but sometimes even I enjoy "The Sounds Of Silence" by not-Simon-&-Garfunkel. I would play more music in the house while DW is around but I have eclectic tastes that she does not often share. The TV (or radio ftm) is never a soundtrack around here.

DD and DSiL have the TV on in their house almost all the time, though, and DW and I just don't get it. My mom/brother watch a lot of TV and, owing to aural deficiencies, it's LOUD. We finally learned to just quit saying anything while we are over there until the volume goes down. Neither one of them hears real well anyway (cause? effect?) so the competitive noise only annoyed everyone.

So I guess I'll be marked as one guy who does not love to have noise blasting at all times. Anyone else? :)