PDA

View Full Version : What would your 3 questions be for health?

fidgiegirl
10-1-11, 11:40pm
So, over on the October Health checkin thread (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?2857-October-Health-amp-Fitness-Support), I just had a mini brainstorm. I would like to, with increased mindfulness, achieve more regular healthy choices in my life, kind of like how Your Money or Your Life (YMOYL) worked for me with money. I wondered if having a daily checkin and being mindful about my choices, with no shame/no blame, would lead me to healthier choices just as asking myself the 3 questions led me to better spending choices when I was really working hard on YMOYL.

Then I remembered this post from Vicki Robin on her blog (http://ymoyl.wordpress.com/2011/09/25/slow-money-slow-food/)!

As a reminder, the 3 questions from YMOYL are:
1. Did I receive fulfillment, satisfaction and value in proportion to life energy spent?
2. Is this expenditure of life energy in alignment with my values and life purpose?
3. How might this expenditure change if I didn’t have to work for a living?

So, for you, what might be some ideas for "questions" for health? Make any sense? How can a mindful, regular check in help us achieve our personal health and fitness goals with no shame, no blame? Throw out any ideas! Each person could choose to use the questions that would be most meaningful in his/her life.

I wonder if this is anything like what Vicki will be coming out with. Super excited to see it!!!

JaneV2.0
10-3-11, 9:33pm
Just because everything in the refrigerator is well past its pull date, is it in my best interest to have popcorn for dinner?
(OK, I admit that's my personal dilemma tonight, and not a philosophical teaser. Carry on.)

fidgiegirl
10-3-11, 10:15pm
Shoot! :)

This thread has kind of fallen flat, I must admit! I thought it would have a blazing red envelope next to it . . .

I guess I can put my own thinking cap on . . .

- Is this action going to help me be healthy when I'm 50? 60? 70?
- Can I indulge, but still be satisfied with a smaller portion?
- Is this action helping me or hurting me?

What else?

folkypoet
10-3-11, 10:59pm
No real ideas here, but I'm watching with interest. :o)

cdttmm
10-4-11, 7:53am
Here are some of the questions I ask myself when making health related decisions (mostly, "Should I eat this?" and "Should I skip working out?").

1. From which choice will I receive fulfillment/satisfaction? (I use this when choosing between options such as taking a nap and going to the gym.)
2. I value excellent health and fitness, is this choice in alignment with those values?
3. Will this opportunity present itself again in the near future? (I use this when deciding whether to eat something indulgent. If the answer is yes, then I don't eat it. If the answer is no, then I will eat it. Gotta live a little. I also use this when deciding whether to skip a regularly scheduled workout in favor of something else. If the answer is yes, then I work out and wait for the "opportunity" to present itself again later. If the answer is no, then I try to take advantage of the opportunity. I have to be careful with this one...sometimes I can justify just about any opportunity to avoid working out.)

cdttmm
10-4-11, 7:54am
- Is this action going to help me be healthy when I'm 50? 60? 70?

This is a good one!

fidgiegirl
10-4-11, 8:54am
3. Will this opportunity present itself again in the near future? (I use this when deciding whether to eat something indulgent. If the answer is yes, then I don't eat it. If the answer is no, then I will eat it. Gotta live a little. I also use this when deciding whether to skip a regularly scheduled workout in favor of something else. If the answer is yes, then I work out and wait for the "opportunity" to present itself again later. If the answer is no, then I try to take advantage of the opportunity. I have to be careful with this one...sometimes I can justify just about any opportunity to avoid working out.)

I really like this one and your description of when you use it. I tend to just eat any sweet that puts itself in front of me ;) but truly, there are times when it's more of a special thing. Since I don't have a chance to go to Cafe Latte every day (a beautiful dessert place), if I choose to have half a piece of cake with my husband, it's a "live a little" kind of decision. If I decide to have junky, processed food just because I can, well, there will be plenty of other chances for that.

Also, your #1 question would work well for me. My choice is often between working out and sitting on my butt on the computer. The workout would almost always be more fulfilling than the butt time, yet oh how often the butt wins out . . .

razz
10-4-11, 11:34am
My three questions are different than those mentioned so far. It starts as the time of purchase.
1. How many additives?
2.Is it good value both in nutrition and cost?
3. Is it easy to prepare?

When making meals,
1. How hungry do I feel right now?
2. What do I need to fulfill my starch, protein, fat balance?
3. How much energy will it take to prepare since I am on time-of-use meter and therefore will it cook at a more economical period?