PDA

View Full Version : Eye has been twitching x 3 wk

KayLR
10-10-11, 6:21pm
CathyA's thread below prompted me to post this. Not only do I have monkey brain, it seems, but also I have an eye which has twitched for 3 weeks now. It involves my upper cheekbone at times as well.

Anyone else had this before? Remedies? It is noticeable...husband was talking to me last night and just stopped mid-sentence to say, "wow, your eye is really twitching!"

I have been under some stress lately, not bad stuff, just many things going on at once. I hope after this weekend's company has come and gone, my twitching will be gone as well.

On that topic (maybe a different thread)...months ago a cousin asked if I knew of anywhere her husband could stay when he is doing his NW tour. (He's a fledgling singer-songwriter) I told her he was welcome to stay here if he doesn't mind cats. Ok, she said, that's very kind, and no, he doesn't mind cats. Well, I haven't heard a thing since. Don't know if I need to pick him up at the airport, when he's coming in, nothing. And I've asked.

I also booked him at a local coffeehouse, which he is going to play at. So-o--o...I guess this is just the way the young folks do these days....?

CathyA
10-10-11, 6:38pm
Go to a good health store and buy some methycolbalamin B12 sublingual tabs. Take a couple of those every day and see if that helps. It always helped my twitches. Adding a good B complex pill would help too. Too much caffeine can cause twitches. But get that B12.

Marianne
10-10-11, 9:58pm
STRESS!! Or that does it for me, anyway! As much as I think I have everything under control, the body will react. More sleep helps, too.

puglogic
10-11-11, 12:48am
Stress, too much caffeine, and certain medications make my face and eye twitch. When I stop it/them, the twitching stops too.

JaneV2.0
10-11-11, 12:57am
When I have a tic, I knock back potassium in some form. Maybe it's psychosomatic, but that usually takes care of it.

lhamo
10-11-11, 6:21am
I get eye twitching sometimes. My triggers also seem to be stress and lots of caffeine, usually combined. Lack of sleep, too.

Hope you can get rid of it. It is very annoying, and kind of scary when it happens.

lhamo

Rosemary
10-11-11, 6:49am
Stress gives me a twitch in that area. I take it as a sign to slow down and consciously relax.

Mrs-M
10-11-11, 9:17am
KayLRZ. I've experienced episodes of eye-twitching that last for up to 6-8 weeks. Pushing myself too hard, and not getting proper/enough sleep, triggers eye-twitching episodes for me. Try and relax (if you are worked-up/stressed), and make a point of getting extra rest/sleep. If you can, incorporate mid-day naps into your daily routine.

Miss Cellane
10-11-11, 10:05am
My eye twiches when I'm under too much stress or haven't gotten enough sleep for several nights.

As for the cousin and her husband--call or email (whichever is most likely to get to her) and simply state that you need to know by X date (don't make the date too far into the future) if her husband will be staying with you, as you need to make plans. Repeat the date that he is booked at the coffeehouse and tell them that if you haven't heard from them by X date, you will tell the coffeehouse he isn't coming, because they will need to schedule someone else if he isn't going to show.

Then let the chips fall where they may. The day after X date, call the coffeehouse. Then make plans for a relaxing day for yourself on the day her husband was due to show up at your place.

Their failure to plan (or even inform you that their plans are still up in the air) does not mean you have to stress to this point. Set a deadline, stick with it, and get on with the rest of your life.

KayLR
10-11-11, 11:54am
If you can, incorporate mid-day naps into your daily routine.

Naps! Yeahhhhh...that's the ticket!

Tenngal
10-11-11, 5:40pm
have you started any new drugs? OTC or prescription? Once, years ago this happened to me while taking some prescription medicine.

Aqua Blue
10-11-11, 7:26pm
I have had good luck with a warm compress a few times a day. I also can get them to stop by gently putting pressure on that muscle. I was getting PT for something else once when I had one and he was able to stop it by putting pressure on it. He also suggested the warm compress, I think it helps the muscle relax. I get them when I am over tired or uptight about something.

KayLR
10-11-11, 7:34pm
Tenngal, nope. I don't take any kind of prescriptions, luckily. Good idea, Aqua Blue. Think I will use some compresses tonight. Had a meeting cancel that I was to attend tonight, so will take care of myself instead.

As for the cousin, I heard from her today. Her husband will not be staying with us after all since he got a gig over in PDX near some friends of theirs, so I can forget about that. Maybe tomorrow when that clicks in my head better, the twitch will cease as well.

Oh, and (ETA) I will try the potassium too. Good idea.

Gardenarian
10-12-11, 7:34pm
I get the twitch when I have been spending too much time on the computer (eye strain.)

KayLR
10-13-11, 12:41pm
Update: I have taken some of your advice (only have not done the compresses; not because I don't want to, just haven't taken the time). Backed off on caffeine, upped potassium, got a few nights of better sleep = less twitching. It is still there a bit, just not like it was. At least it is not as noticeable to others.

I will do the compresses and keep doing what's worked. So...thanks all!!

CathyA
10-13-11, 12:57pm
Really, get those B12 sublingual tabs. They really work!

jennipurrr
10-14-11, 12:20pm
For me eye stress is one of my biggie signs of stress. I use it to take a mental breather and say ok what the heck is going on in my life that my body is expressing it this way.