PDA

View Full Version : It comes in 3's

Greg44
10-11-11, 8:48pm
Well so far this week the TV in our bedroom died and the clothes dryer has stopped heating. It seems like these things always comes in threes.

Once our dryer died and we had it fixed the next day our washer died. Now what luck is that?

Have you ever notices this? Of course neither one of these are in the budget - so off to the savings we go again...:(

Sad Eyed Lady
10-11-11, 9:21pm
I hope the "3's" doesn't hold true because as I posted here a couple of weeks ago, my oven went out, (17 years old), could not get it repaired and had to order another drop in range. While I was ordering it, I called home and my DH told me the T.V. had died! So, in addition to ordering the range, I went back in the store and ordered a new T.V.! Hopefully a third appliance or electronic isn't lurking, just biding it's time to die too!

redfox
10-11-11, 9:32pm
Ugh. I am so sorry. I just thought of you, Gregg, when 2 very cute young Mormon men showed up on the front porch. Did you do mission work in the US?

Alan
10-11-11, 9:45pm
I'm having my issues with 3's as well. I've been keeping an eye on the tires on my car, trying to get 100,000 miles on them. I'm currently at 98K + change and keeping an eye on tires sales, knowing that I'm only weeks away from replacing them at a cost of approx $750.
We were out a few weeks ago in the motorhome and noticed that our tail/brake lights stopped working. Took it to the RV repair shop and after much troubleshooting, they discovered bad ground wires which needed to be replaced. Total cost $813.66.
A few weeks ago, my daughter's car was totalled and she couldn't afford a suitable replacement with the meager insurance money. We decided to purchase a new car for my wife and give her old car to our daughter. The day before we turned it over to her, the Air Conditioner stopped working. We just got an estimate on it and it will be close to $1000 to repair.
Luckily, it's almost time to put the motorcycle away for the winter. I can't take another repair!

peggy
10-11-11, 9:46pm
Tell me about it! This summer, first the h-vac system died, then the garage door opener, then the dishwasher! Replaced all three. Belt tightening is the game of the season.
Oh, and I forgot the mower! Mind you we have about 5 acres to mow, and the DH insists on mowing it all! I say let some go to meadow, but he is insistent.

peggy
10-11-11, 9:50pm
Oh the car! I forgot the car! Total brake job and now the steering needs some work, apparently. So I'm actually up to 5. Dang! That means there is something else to go wrong. What else is there?!

Greg44
10-11-11, 11:38pm
Ugh. I am so sorry. I just thought of you, Gregg, when 2 very cute young Mormon men showed up on the front porch. Did you do mission work in the US?

I served mostly in and about Adelaide South Australia, but did 4 months northeast of Darwin in Nhulunbuy (Arnham Land). It was a great experience! Greg

sweetana3
10-12-11, 9:33am
If you are looking for tires, check out the website for www.tirerack.com to get specifications, REVIEWS, and prices. We found that even with UPS shipping they were cheaper than anyone local and there are those that will mount them for you.

mtnlaurel
10-12-11, 10:17am
I'm having my issues with 3's as well. I've been keeping an eye on the tires on my car, trying to get 100,000 miles on them. I'm currently at 98K + change and keeping an eye on tires sales, knowing that I'm only weeks away from replacing them at a cost of approx $750.
We were out a few weeks ago in the motorhome and noticed that our tail/brake lights stopped working. Took it to the RV repair shop and after much troubleshooting, they discovered bad ground wires which needed to be replaced. Total cost $813.66.
A few weeks ago, my daughter's car was totalled and she couldn't afford a suitable replacement with the meager insurance money. We decided to purchase a new car for my wife and give her old car to our daughter. The day before we turned it over to her, the Air Conditioner stopped working. We just got an estimate on it and it will be close to $1000 to repair.
Luckily, it's almost time to put the motorcycle away for the winter. I can't take another repair!

Alan - what brand/make of tires have you gotten almost 100k out of?

Alan
10-12-11, 10:48am
Alan - what brand/make of tires have you gotten almost 100k out of?
They're Continental, Contitrac, Eco Plus in a P235/70R16 size, on a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. (I've been carrying that info around in my wallet so that I can verify them if I see any on sale)
I've rotated them every 15 or 20K miles and they've held up remarkably well, although I'm beginning to see signs of a wear bar in the center of the one currently in the right front position.

I've decided to go for the 100K milestone, mainly because I've never gotten anywhere near that many miles from a set of tires before, but also because I just like the challange. I need to be careful though, I don't want to run into our first snowfall of the season without replacing them.

Kevin
10-12-11, 1:24pm
I served mostly in and about Adelaide South Australia, but did 4 months northeast of Darwin in Nhulunbuy (Arnham Land). It was a great experience! Greg

Greg, it really is a small world. Not only have I heard of Nhulunbuy, I had an aunt, uncle and two cousins who lived there when they first emigrated to Australia. My uncle worked in an aluminium plant nearby. Never got to go and visit them there, but I stayed with them in Perth, Western Australia, years later.

Kevin

Sad Eyed Lady
10-12-11, 1:51pm
Greg, it really is a small world. Not only have I heard of Nhulunbuy, I had an aunt, uncle and two cousins who lived there when they first emigrated to Australia. My uncle worked in an aluminium plant nearby. Never got to go and visit them there, but I stayed with them in Perth, Western Australia, years later.

KevinO.K., I'm chiming in with my South Australia story too. I met a wonderful lady through the Simple Living Journal back 10-12 years ago in the pen pal section. We started writing to each other and continue on a regular basis to this day. She lives in Adelaide South Australia. So, that's my SA story!

Greg44
10-12-11, 2:35pm
[QUOTE=Kevin;46661]Greg, it really is a small world. Not only have I heard of Nhulunbuy, I had an aunt, uncle and two cousins who lived there when they first emigrated to Australia. My uncle worked in an aluminium plant nearby. Never got to go and visit them there, but I stayed with them in Perth, Western Australia, years later.
----------
Wow, and Nhulunbuy is a very remote place -- when I was there you could get there by boat or plane, except for a short time during the "dry" when their Landrovers could make it out on dirt roads. Nhulunbuy was a company town that surfaced mined for bauxite - the raw material for aluminium. We volunteered at the school, ran the local branch of the Church, etc.

While we were there one of the aboriginal chiefs was dieing in the hospital so several hundred aborigines came in from the jungle and camped around the hospital. They painted themselves white and did synconized tribal dances holding small branches from the gum trees. This corroboree was accompanied by them playing their didgeridoos. We lived just past the hospital and had to walk a path near there on the way home. They invited us to sit and watch. A once in a life time experience.

Greg44
10-12-11, 2:38pm
O.K., I'm chiming in with my South Australia story too. I met a wonderful lady through the Simple Living Journal back 10-12 years ago in the pen pal section. We started writing to each other and continue on a regular basis to this day. She lives in Adelaide South Australia. So, that's my SA story!

Do you know what part of Adelaide she lives in?

redfox
10-12-11, 9:29pm

Kevin

Which is why we gotta take care of it... And this week, that included me flirting just a wee bit with two extremely cute young Mormon men as they did their best to do their speech. Bless them, they are so young and enthusiastic, and here I am a pagan hippie...

Greg44
10-12-11, 10:16pm
Which is why we gotta take care of it... And this week, that included me flirting just a wee bit with two extremely cute young Mormon men as they did their best to do their speech. Bless them, they are so young and enthusiastic, and here I am a pagan hippie...

...pagan hippie! Thats what made visiting people at their doors so much fun! You meet some really fun people - I bet they enjoyed visiting with you too! Door knocking can be a drag, then you meet someone who is friendly and fun to talk to and it makes everyone's day.

My very first area we met a great Aussi family who lived in the Adelaide Hills - rural area, lots of big gum trees. We hit it off. Now 35 years later, I still get emails from them, they have come to the states and visited our family about a half dozen times. They never joined our Church, but we have built a lifelong friendship.

Mrs-M
10-13-11, 8:56am
"In 3's" tends to haunt us, too. We had a couple of major setbacks at the start of the year, and ever since then, have been clawing and scratching away to get back on top again. Lucky for us #3 never happened...

Kevin
10-14-11, 9:47am
While we were there one of the aboriginal chiefs was dieing in the hospital so several hundred aborigines came in from the jungle and camped around the hospital. They painted themselves white and did synconized tribal dances holding small branches from the gum trees. This corroboree was accompanied by them playing their didgeridoos. We lived just past the hospital and had to walk a path near there on the way home. They invited us to sit and watch. A once in a life time experience.

There aren't many people who get the chance to see something like that, other than a santised version put on for tourists. What a fantastic experience.

Oh yes, we really must. And as for young Mormon men, they used to call at our house in Plymouth, when I was a kid in the '70s, but I haven't seen any for years. Maybe the Buddha statue and prayer wheels in the front garden put them off... (just kidding... I know of one Buddhist here in the UK who invites them in, and they pray while he does meditation practice, which sounds like a win-win situation).

Kevin

simplelife4me
10-21-11, 8:54pm
Sadly, three people I went to school with died in last three years, all in their 40's. In 2009 a female was hit by a car while out of her car changing a flat. In 2010 a male died from aortic dissection. Last week another male died from a brain hemorrhage. Hope it stops.

Greg44
10-22-11, 5:40pm
Sadly, three people I went to school with died in last three years, all in their 40's. In 2009 a female was hit by a car while out of her car changing a flat. In 2010 a male died from aortic dissection. Last week another male died from a brain hemorrhage. Hope it stops.

We have always noticed that deaths of important people seem to come in threes. Sorry for your loss -