PDA

View Full Version : I am being asked to play

kally
11-29-11, 9:21pm
my native american flute at various things now. I have played at a wedding, recently at a Celebration of Life, and now for a gathering in December.

I offer it for free, and now I know people like it, will say yes whenever I can. In the new year I will talk to palliative care.

I have been playing 3.5 years now and am beginning to sound like a decent player, but there is something about this instrument that speaks to people.

And I have finally found a way to serve.

happystuff
11-29-11, 10:14pm
Congratulations! I remember when you posted about getting your first flute. Your practise has paid off. Enjoy!

peggy
11-29-11, 10:47pm
How wonderful! Is there some way we can hear you play? Maybe something on youtube?

Mrs-M
11-29-11, 10:50pm
How great is that!

fidgiegirl
11-30-11, 7:58am
Really inspiring, kally. Congratulations.

kally
11-30-11, 1:33pm
I am loving it. When I figure out how to post on youtube I will let you know.

CathyA
11-30-11, 3:23pm
That's great Kally,
If I were laying in the hospital, very ill, I would absolutely LOVE hearing that kind of music. I've often thought I would like to do that kind of thing for sick people.
Can't wait to hear you on You Tube!

Zoebird
11-30-11, 3:29pm
awesome! if you know of any yoga teachers in the area, you might suggest a "yoga and live music" night. our musicians always did it for "tips/donations" -- which was great. we just really loved having them around. we were doing it once a week, but now it's once a month at the studio where I got it started. :)

Yossarian
11-30-11, 3:37pm
I always wanted to play the bamboo flute like Caine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43r_hYoChFE

steve s
12-1-11, 3:13pm
Cool!

Performance is an experience of its own and IMHO it is a good experience.

BTW, I still haven't gotten my hands on a native flute. Keeping too busy with the clarinet and recorders. Maybe if I get some holiday money.

leslieann
12-1-11, 3:30pm
Lovely, Kally. I love that music: have Carlos Nakai on in the waiting room for the peacefulness. I would like to try to play but right now am back working with my transverse flute a little bit (taking lessons again).

What a lovely way to offer yourself to others. I am inspired.

Gardenarian
12-1-11, 4:06pm
Congratulations Kally! i look forward to hearing you play!

kally
12-1-11, 4:20pm
it is so easy to play. You just get better and better. If anyone wants info on how to get started, and where to buy a decent first flute, just let me know.

shadowmoss
12-2-11, 8:41am
/Shadowmoss raises her hand.

I played clarinet in hs back in the day (wayyyy back...) and have looked around trying to find something that I can play again.

Sissy
12-2-11, 1:33pm
Good deal, kally! I love that type of flute, too. I am glad that you are getting to follow your passion.

Tweety
12-2-11, 4:29pm
Isn't it wonderful to be able to share something you love to do?
I sing with the local symphony choir, and this Friday we are giving our official Christmas concert, then repeating it 3 times in the following week at various non-profit venues, including a nursing home. I love it!