PDA

View Full Version : Electric kettle?

puglogic
12-5-11, 10:00am
I have many friends in Canada and Britain (and even here in the states) who swear by their electric teakettle. I've never taken the plunge and purchased one for myself.

I guess I'm pondering whether it really saves energy over heating my current kettle on the stovetop several times a day (I have an electric range). It seems as though it would.....is that peoples' experience?

libby
12-5-11, 10:58am
I love love love my Russel Hobbs electric kettle. It is stainless steel and the element is also encased in stainless. It heats very quickly. I am not sure about the energy consumption.

Bastelmutti
12-5-11, 11:00am
I swear by mine, too. Got used to using it when living in Europe & we use it all day long now. Keeps the water hot after it has boiled, so you can go back and make another cup of tea.

herbgeek
12-5-11, 11:19am
I love mine too - its much quicker than the stove for making a pot, and comparable to the microwave when making only one cup. Its an "Aroma" brand that I picked up at Target.

IshbelRobertson
12-5-11, 11:37am
No British kitchen would be without an electric kettle - although I have seen some of my students heat water in a microwave, just to add a teabag or instant coffee!

sweetana3
12-5-11, 11:43am
Love mine. Very fast and boiling hot. I use for tea or to warm water for hot water bottle.

terrica
12-5-11, 4:53pm
I just got one a few months ago and love it. I wish I had bought one earlier as I use it almost every day. I love that it turns off once the water boils. I can be a bit scatter brained and more than once have forgotten about water boiling on the stove. It’s no fun to come back to a really hot, early empty pan.

Tradd
12-5-11, 7:11pm
I LOVE my electric kettle! I got introduced to them by a coworker years ago who was from Canada.

The auto shut-off is a big positive for me.

Stella
12-5-11, 9:11pm
I had one and I loved the way it worked. I ended up getting rid of it because I don't have a very big kitchen and I needed to make space. I didn't want to give up my grandmother's tea kettle, so the electric one went instead. Once in a while I miss it, but I'm OK without it too.

shadowmoss
12-6-11, 9:08am
I got one for here because hot water from the tap can be difficult to come by. What originally pushed me over the edge to buy it was wanting hot water to wash dishes in. I don't have a cook stove, just a small microwave. I like the auto shutoff, also.

Acorn
12-6-11, 12:41pm
I'm mad for my electric kettle. It is the workhorse of my kitchen and gets used more than any other appliance. And yes, the shut off is a great thing for someone as absent minded as me.

dado potato
12-6-11, 5:55pm
Ours, which we have used several times per day for many years, is a Phillips (manufactured in Poland). I notice it says "Descale regularly."

So, (better late than never) how does one descale?

leslieann
12-6-11, 6:17pm
White vinegar in water; bring to a boil, empty. You'll be amazed at the stuff that flakes off the bottom. At least I was.

I love our kettle. Yes, used frequently. It would have to cost hundreds to be more expensive than all the teakettles I boiled dry and ruined. The auto-shutoff feature is great.

Be warned that all electric kettles don't have auto shut off and some don't have switches but have to be unplugged. Avoid them.

redfox
12-6-11, 6:36pm
We got one for our son when he was in middle school, and still short. Open flames on the gas stove scared him, and he was enetring his tea fanatic phase. It was a great tool to have. He took it when he left the house last fall, and I miss it. Now that we have no microwave - it died, and we're not replacing it - I am considering getting another one. They heat very quickly and free up a burner, which comes in handy regularly... plus the cute whistle is nice! Let's me know when the water is hot...

Mrs-M
12-6-11, 10:23pm
Wouldn't give up my electric kettle for the world.

Tiam
12-6-11, 11:09pm
So, is anyone going to suggest some brands? I can't decide.

Acorn
12-7-11, 1:22am
I think I've owned 5 in the last ten years. All different brands, all different price ranges, but they all seem to break, so no brand recommendations from me.

Aqua Blue
12-7-11, 10:20am
I got one at Target in the markdown section for 75% off earlier this year. I use it several times a day, particularly in the winter and love it. Mine is a little on the big side though. If I was going to replace it I would go with a smaller one. I would get either a glass or metal one. I have a metal one. I don't like the plastic ones, but that may be just me.

IshbelRobertson
12-7-11, 11:38am
We have a wonderful kitchen supply company in the UK - Lakeland - it's the kind of place you wander into and end up coming out of with all sorts of gadgets you didn't know you needed (or wanted!) until you saw them. They also do a great mail order service. The quality of their stuff is great. I bought a matching toaster and kettle from their own brand range. For years I swore by a well-known, upmarket British manufacturer - UNTIL..... the last one, which began to rust after a few weeks, I took it back to the place I bought it - they replaced it.. and it happened to the replacement, too. I was told it was because all the reputable company's goods were now made in China of inferior metal.

I am VERY pleased with Lakeland's kettle and toaster! We've had them for over a year and they are still almost as new.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/Homepage.action

libby
12-7-11, 2:56pm
Russel Hobbs is an excellent brand.

Tiam
12-7-11, 9:44pm
Russel Hobbs is an excellent brand.

Thanks!