PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone ever want to do a book club?

fidgiegirl
12-13-11, 8:54pm
Just a teeny seed of an idea. Actually, I probably couldn't even do it until we move early 2012. But would anyone be interested? We could choose a book, read it simultaneously, and discuss here on the forums. If so, what titles would people want to read?

I'd kind of like to review YMOYL again . . . always important to remain in touch with those concepts!! I'm also game for any further discussion or learning around Barbara Winters "Making a Living Without a Job."

What do you think?

redfox
12-13-11, 9:14pm
I'd like this! I am in the middle of What's Gotten into Us, Staying Healthy in a Toxic World, which I recommend.

fidgiegirl
12-13-11, 9:26pm
Ooh, redfox . . . interesting!

Rosemary
12-13-11, 10:03pm
Yes! I'd love to participate in a book club related to simple living.

danna
12-13-11, 10:09pm
Would be very interested come 2012...

razz
12-13-11, 10:25pm
Count me in as well. See how it goes.

DuraMater
12-13-11, 10:29pm
Great idea! Yay! Simple living book club...

Float On
12-13-11, 11:00pm
Yes, please!

iris lily
12-13-11, 11:31pm
perhaps--it depends entirely on the title.

Today I learned, from a book of literary criticism, to put a name to the kind of books I like: "middle-brow." I like "middle-brow" English books. Finally I now know what to ask for at the Library, ha ha! Authors like Elizabeth Taylor and Barbara Pym and Anita Brookner write the kind of books I like, and I've run into twice today a new-to-me publisher, Persephone, that seems to publish the more obscure middle-brow authors.

rose
12-14-11, 1:22am
Fidgiegirl, I would be interested in the book club also.

Iris Lily, ah "middle-brow". You must named some of my favorite authors. Just a few weeks ago I was visiting Seattle and walked through the County Office building on some business and ran into an employee book sale in the hallway. I got an Anita Brookner that I hadn't read and felt like I had struck it rich. And it was only a dollar. It is called "The Latecomers". Have you read that one? I'm just getting started.

I've read all of Barbara Pym's and read a biography about her. I really like her and recommended her to a friend. She read one of her books and to this day still teases me about that book saying "nothing happened". But I love the wonderful character studies. And I think I secretly want to live the of one of those English ladies that drink tea, watch the neighbors and either have or study interesting relationships.

I haven't read Elizabeth Taylor. Thanks for the lead.

gimmethesimplelife
12-14-11, 1:59am
I think this is a great idea.....May I suggest one title? David Wann - Simple Prosperity/Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle. I am reading this book right now and am liking it. But I'm game for anything related to simpler living, too. Rob

redfox
12-14-11, 2:22am
I think this is a great idea.....May I suggest one title? David Wann - Simple Prosperity/Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle. I am reading this book right now and am liking it. But I'm game for anything related to simpler living, too. Rob

Good one! He lives in cohousing, and made a very good documentary called Designing a Great Neighborhood. It's available on netflix.

lhamo
12-14-11, 6:24am
I'd be interested, too, depending on the book. I'm big into social/behavioral psych/economics type stuff at the moment, but I don't mind a good middlebrow novel, either! And simplicity/sustainability stuff is always interesting.

lhamo

fidgiegirl
12-14-11, 8:31am
Yippee! Let's have some more suggestions of titles, all. I was thinking SL-related, but hadn't thought about novels . . .

How about Walden? I also like the Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs. Have checked out from the library twice but there is always more to mine there . . . especially since before my SL journey was very money oriented, and now it's more satisfaction-with-life oriented.

razz
12-14-11, 8:36am
I read the Nearing book and was surprised to find the depth and intensity plus the same mindset as strong advocates have of any topic.

peggy
12-14-11, 8:37am
Sounds interesting. Count me in.

iris lily
12-14-11, 9:53am
hey rose, I probably haven't read that Brookner novel if it is recent. I've stopped reading much in recent years, but need to ramp it up.

If you haven't read the Major Pettigrew novel of 2 years ago, pick that one up. I can't remember the exact title but if you Google "Major Pettigrew" it will come up. We should really take this discussion to another thread more suited.

iris lily
12-14-11, 9:54am
I do think that a book about simple living would be appropriate for this SL book club, it shouldn't be just some random novel. So I will shut up! ha ha.

cdttmm
12-14-11, 10:12am
I'm big into social/behavioral psych/economics type stuff at the moment

lhamo -- that's the stuff I read, too. We may have to swap book lists!!!

fidgiegirl -- count me in! Especially if we're doing anything simple living related or sustainability related.

daisy
12-15-11, 9:46am
I love this idea! Count me in, too!

domestic goddess
12-15-11, 10:15am
Sounds good to me, too!