PDA

View Full Version : What's goin' on (in my job situation)

frugalone
3-2-12, 11:09pm
Hi, folks, It's been a while, I think!

I thought I would write and use one of those old cliches: I've got some good news and some bad news. ;)

The good news is, I was offered a job. It's at my alma mater, in the library (circulation desk). I will finally get a chance to know whether or not I like library work enough to pursue an master's in library science. And it looks like it will be low-stress (something I need at this point).

The bad news is, it's only 17 hours a week, the hours most probably will interfere with any other job I might get, and the pay is low.

And I need more money...badly. (Those of you who have been following my situation know my story).

I know, I know what you're probably thinking: Jeepers Creepers, is this lady NEVER happy?

I guess I just have these fears. Like, we're still pretty much broke, savings are dwindling, and this job has no benefits or anything. Plus it's only 9 months long.

I am hoping that it will lead to something better. At the very least, I hope to LIKE the job.

Part of the "hours and another job issue" is that it is 9 pm to midnight four days a week, and also I kind of have to be "on call" in case someone on the afternoon shift calls in sick. They might, say, call me at noon and ask "can you come in at 4 pm?" The boss stressed this over and over on the phone and in person. I am getting a little suspicious that this happens a lot, even though he says it doesn't. Now what if I had another job and and couldn't do what he asked?

I'm sort of in a muddle. I did a pro and con list, and my mind keeps changing. Yes, I know, it's a job, and I have none. I am keeping that first and foremost in my mind.

Thanks for listening!

Tammy
3-2-12, 11:18pm
You could take a second job part time that is from mid morning through early afternoon (essentially over the lunch rush at various places) .... And still be ok to go in at 4 when needed. I'd say go for it, and see things work out.

ApatheticNoMore
3-2-12, 11:24pm
You could take it and keeping looking for a better job. Would it be entirely fair to an employer if you left before 9 months because you found a better job? Perhaps not, but unless your are on a contract (and I doubt it for that type of work), you have no obligation. Your economic survial seems to be at stake - play to win. If you found a better job you could always just tell the boss "no more afternoon on calls", and if you were fired at that point well um who cares at that point :)

frugalone
3-2-12, 11:27pm
Good point. As a friend once said, "It ain't like they're sending you to med school!"

I should have clarified: The nine months is from Sept.-May (the academic year), but it is a permanent job. But I won't have any hours this summer.

I do intend to keep looking. Who knows? Maybe some sort of miracle will happen and something full time will open up there.

You could take it and keeping looking for a better job. Would it be entirely fair to an employer if you left before 9 months because you found a better job? Perhaps not, but unless your are on a contract (and I doubt it for that type of work), you have no obligation. Your economic survial seems to be at stake - play to win. If you found a better job you could always just tell the boss "no more afternoon on calls", and if you were fired at that point well um who cares at that point :)

cattledog
3-2-12, 11:30pm
I think it's great news! Plus you are no longer "unemployed," so maybe your job prospects will improve going forward. Also, are you now eligible to apply to any other internal jobs posted?

Zoe Girl
3-2-12, 11:48pm
I would take it, understanding your concerns very well, and these are some reasons why

* it is something and it does a lot for confidence to have something (and in a field you want) at all
* sometimes opportunities come when you do not expect it, I was offered a half day job with the organization I am in and could not take it for only that reason, I could make more subbing, and they called back with a 7 hour position at $1 more an hour, a semester later I had a salaried 9 1/2 month a year job with insurance and chances to earn extra in the summer,
* employers right now are more likely to hire the employed than the unemployed so this makes you look better as you continue to search.

Gee in writing this I realize my situation has been growing positive in a pretty short amount of time, hmm.

Good luck and in the end trust your gut

frugalone
3-2-12, 11:57pm
Well, so far no one has told me I couldn't apply internally. I did think of the old adage, "It's easier to find a job when you have a job!"

I think it's great news! Plus you are no longer "unemployed," so maybe your job prospects will improve going forward. Also, are you now eligible to apply to any other internal jobs posted?

frugalone
3-2-12, 11:58pm
that's great that that happened for you! I am keeping my fingers crossed, and trying to take it one day at a time. Thanks for your thoughts!

I would take it, understanding your concerns very well, and these are some reasons why

* it is something and it does a lot for confidence to have something (and in a field you want) at all
* sometimes opportunities come when you do not expect it, I was offered a half day job with the organization I am in and could not take it for only that reason, I could make more subbing, and they called back with a 7 hour position at $1 more an hour, a semester later I had a salaried 9 1/2 month a year job with insurance and chances to earn extra in the summer,
* employers right now are more likely to hire the employed than the unemployed so this makes you look better as you continue to search.

Gee in writing this I realize my situation has been growing positive in a pretty short amount of time, hmm.

Good luck and in the end trust your gut

fidgiegirl
3-3-12, 1:16am
Thank you so much for checking in! I see this as a positive development for you! As the others have said, for confidence, for an "in," etc. Some of your other recent posts were pretty despairing so I am really really glad that this has worked out!!!

puglogic
3-3-12, 2:21am
So it's 17 hours but you might get more hours if someone calls in sick, and it sounds like this might happen with some regularity?

And this is a problem? Sounds like a good thing, the uncertainty notwithstanding, money is money. And for all the reasons above.....sounds like a good move for NOW.

razz
3-3-12, 8:09am
Take it and build up your self-esteem and see what is out there that will complement those hours. It makes a good case for saying to a prospective employer - I am employed but looking for more hours. New employers will understand in these economic conditions.

Float On
3-3-12, 8:12am
Hey, congratulations! I have a feeling this could lead to something else. You'll have closer access to see new job postings at the school. You might hear of something else by word of mouth. It's something to add to the resume'. Update that resume as soon as you start working.

I have a friend who recently took a temp job filling in for a part-time secretary who was out on maternity leave at a college an hour a way from her. Just as the temp position was finishing up she was able to interview for another job opening at the college and just announced she is now the 'executive assistant' (secretary) to the dean of the college. So even putting up with a bad commute and low temp pay for a few months really paid off.

Keep the faith, Ladyinblack, and we'll keep it for you too!

mtnlaurel
3-3-12, 8:54am
Thank you for the update! This is great news.

Although not ideal, you couldn't make your own better hours for a part-time situation.

You will have your 'business days' free to continue networking, a morning part-time gig if you can score it, or volunteer work, housework/hobbies/errands.
See if you can audit/sit-in on Library Science classes for free.
Look for intern opportunities/volunteer work in Library Science department to learn first hand about the department or connect with school marketing department since that was your prior field (right?)
If you're politically inclined, this year is a great 'all hands on deck' time to work for candidates of either party. A great way to meet people.
Plus, you'll be on a school campus and in a library (without the weight on your shoulders of having to turn in your own papers)!!!! That would be my nirvana.

Best part is... when you meet someone now and they ask where you work, what you do... you can look them straight in the eye and say 'X Univ. Library'... you don't have to do that humiliating positive spin on I'm unemployed...
For my husband and me that has been worth its' weight in gold!

Loyalty is a virtue that modern workplace life and modern life in general is stomping in the dirt daily.
My take on most things these days, is to lookout for myself and make situations work to my own advantage.
I have been conditioned by my career to get what I need out of a work situation with no hope of staying past the end of the workday.

Just pretend like you are getting paid a small stipend in exchange for 17 hours to use the next year to reinvent yourself to best suit the new hiring landscape. Don't let a brown bag lunch on campus go unattended.

chanterelle
3-3-12, 9:10am
Nice news, congratulations!
Lots of great suggestions from the other posters.
I also would consider letting the afternoon shift know that you would readily take any and all fill-in slots that they have to offer.
This would not only give you additional hours pay, but allow you to know in advance, in many instances, when you would need to go in early. You would be in better control of your schedule and feel less stressed waiting for surprise calls.
Also, your upfront willingness to work beyond your regular hours would not go unnoticed by management ....keeping visible and being known as someone willing to work is an asset.

flowerseverywhere
3-3-12, 9:14am
another thing to add.

When you start be a stellar employee. Show up well groomed ten or fifteen minutes early with a smile on your face. Don't get pulled into the gossip/bad politics/rumors etc that every workplace has. Volunteer for any extra time even if it interferes with weekends. Be the kind of employee that stands out as motivated, willing to pitch in and work hard.

One of my relatives was unemployed for months and got a job offer similar to yours. He took it and decided that he was going to excell. Within months he was noticed and gradually got more hours - eventually he was able to find a full time job in the organization. Everyone he worked with knew all they had to do was ask and he would gladly fill in for them. It did not happen by magic but by patience and hard work. When he applied for other jobs in the organization after almost a year they could not say anything but good things about him.

you know if you are on a campus chances are they have a lot of people that are there for lunch. Any chance of getting a lunchtime restaurant job as long as you are there? Even close by places are probably very busy at lunch. Not ideal but money is money.

early morning
3-3-12, 11:14am
Thanks for the update, LIB, I've been wondering how you were doing. I don't really have any words of wisdom to add, just congrats and best wishes. As a uni employee, you may be able to take classes for credit for free. Several schools here do that even for part-time staff, although there's a limit, I think, on the hours you can take free per year.

iris lily
3-3-12, 2:36pm
Getting out there in the working world is SO worth it, do it! Just do it.

During finals week you'll be able to pick up all kinds of shifts because the students don't want to work. You've got only 3 months to make a good impression (right? The job ends in May? ) so make it 100% of your focus when you are there.

frugalone
3-3-12, 5:54pm
Thank you so very much, everyone.

I am feeling more hopeful and positive today.

To address the library science stuff (mtnlaurel), sad to say there is not a library science dept. at this college. Nearest one is 200 miles away and that's a satellite of another school in itself! If and when I do attend, it will be a low-residency and/or online course. That seems to be getting more and more popular these days. In fact, one of my best friends just finished her MLS at age 52, from Drexel.

Again, thank you, everybody. I can always count on you folks for open, honest and varied opinions!