PDA

View Full Version : Upping our efforts . . .

fidgiegirl
3-24-12, 11:35pm
I am excited to start upping our efforts in recycling and composting. We've become a bit lazy with the remodel of the house with all the chaos, and also after two years of the compost bin being raided by squirrels in winter and knowing we would be moving over the winter, we haven't composted since about October.

We are going to get our bin from the rental house tomorrow, and any unfinished compost contained therein. So we can start with the regular backyard stuff again.

But also, in exciting news, our neighborhood will now start to have an organics pick-up. We can pay $40 a year to participate. We can drop off meat/dairy, non-recyclable paper, and compostable packaging or other items that can't really go in the backyard bin. I am not sure why but the nerd in me finds this really exciting. Sometimes we throw out things just because we don't have room in the compost bin, especially paper items. If we participate in the drop-off, we can compost EVERYTHING that's compostable.

We have also discovered that we can bring #5 plastics to Whole Foods (just up the street) for recycling there. Great news. Our curbside pickup does not collect #5, and I eat a lot of yogurt - mostly in quart tubs, but lately in more single-serve (Chobani). Have researched making my own yogurt, but not there quite yet. Hopefully soon!

I was also realizing that I don't usually recycle the tin lids of the yogurt containers. Wonder why not? I believe they are recyclable. I also read that the bottle caps are recyclable (the metal pop top kind) but DH and do not put them in the recycling. It's little things like that that we could do better.

I am also contemplating an ongoing box of scrap metal. Some scrap metal items go in the trash because they are just so small, if we set them out for the scrappers, they'd never spot them to pick them up. But if we had a box going, and could set that out every few months, it would be worth everyone's while. They need a ton in some cases to get any money.

What other ways could we up the ante on recycling? I haven't addressed any "reduce" or "reuse" solutions here, but we are always working on that, too.

Rosemary
3-25-12, 5:45am
I am an avid recycler. We used to have to take all our plastics to the Coon Rapids facility, but thankfully our local company now takes them. We are directed to leave bottle caps on the bottles, which is a change in the past year; in the past, we were supposed to discard them or save them for Aveda. We still take scrap metal to that facility; they also collect stryrofoam - the only place I've seen that does that.

You might be aware of this resource that lists many items that can be recycled: http://www.recyclemoreminnesota.org/what/

I would love to have organics waste collection in our neighborhood. I'm doing my part to bring it here, but it's a long road.
Meanwhile, I am also getting back to composting kitchen scraps after some time off to let the rodent population in our yard dwindle. We have 4 compost bins and I will be filling them all shortly with yard waste from spring cleanup. Yesterday I ordered a yard waste bin to make it easier to compost larger branches. In the past we had loaded up the car with branches, but it's a mess and a hassle, and this convenience is worth the cost to me.

If you need any help on making yogurt, let me know - it's very easy, and saves a fair amount of money. One quart of milk makes one quart of yogurt, so a quart of organic yogurt costs about $1.50. I prefer the Greek yogurt as a starter - it makes a thicker yogurt with a different flavor, seems to have a different culture blend - but any plain yogurt works, and once started, you can 'chain start' the yogurt for many batches before buying a new container.

A rainbarrel is a great way to 'recycle' rainwater! There is a spring sale in Ramsey County - let me know if you need info.

jania
3-25-12, 9:46am
I'm with you on the yogurt containers. I know it is easy to make your own, I just haven't done it. All I need is a jar, milk and starter and maybe a small cooler to keep the temperature of the mixture just right...it's too easy. Ok, I think I've convinced myself again.

Rosemary, please share your yogurt making process.

I compost everything I can and I think the trick is to make it easy and convenient. I also really try to pay attention when I buy things, looking at the amount of packaging but sometimes there doesn't seem to be much choice. One small effort I make is to keep my movie theatre cup in the car at all times (you buy one each year and then get your drink for $1.00) and use it if I stop in a convenience mart for a fountain drink, instead of using yet another plastic cup.

leslieann
3-25-12, 11:30am
Trying to figure out what to do with an ancient printer and two old laptops. Our local waste program landfills them. Apparently there is a local business that will recycle them...but this is not obvious.

I have pulled out the compost container and moved the bin to what I hope will be its FINAL resting place. We've had two open bins, mostly for yard waste but also kitchen stuff. I bought a closed composter last summer because I am a bit worried about enhancing the rodent population. So my plan is to put food wastes in the composter but continue to use the open bins for yard waste. That has worked pretty well: we dump into one each season, and shovel out of the other.

I have a LONG way to go, though. Didn't compost all winter and boy, the garbage can stink when you put food wastes in there. Even when you empty it regularly. I struggle with the composting because I can't find an appropriate kitchen container OR because I want the food emptied out almost as soon as it goes in. So the problem lies in my reaction. I'm working on it!!

fidgiegirl
3-25-12, 11:39am
Thanks for all the new ideas, Rosemary. I hadn't known about the Recycle More MN site. Very nice. I like the close the loop stuff - I am a bit of a skeptic, admittedly, after as a teenager working in a small town grocery store, observing that all the plastic bags the community had brought in to recycle always ended up in the dumpster. Despite this one negative first-hand experience, though, I try to maintain a hopeful outlook. It's hard when you've ever seen Wall-E.

Great to know about the styrofoam. We threw out so much when we got the new appliances :( It was hard to do. :(

I would be interested in your yogurt process, too. In my research it seemed easy, but like something that would need to be practiced a few times to get the hang of it. You are so good at making things practical that I bet you have a good system. :)

And don't feel bad that composting is taking a while to take root. In my research/reading about composting, I once read that we are at the point right now with composting that recycling was at in the 80s. I also read that there are not a lot of commercial facilities that can take large volumes of compostables right now, and that the procedure for handling huge volumes (from, say, a curbside colleciton program) has not been perfected. And Eureka (http://www.eurekarecycling.org/page.cfm?ContentID=19) (my local hauler) says that even if systems WERE in place, it'd still be ideal for people to max out their backyard capacities first, to save on fuel for hauling and to return the nutrients to the soil.

Zoebird
3-25-12, 5:31pm
nice! we are moving toward zero-waste home. once we get the composting online at our place, we'll be well sorted for it.

oh, and we learned that the microorganisms that the bokashi bucket uses are also in our normal home fermentation processes, so we can create our own starter, ferment it onto/into some newspaper, and then start our bokashi process. This will be a for our heavy scraps (bones, avocado skins, etc) that are not good for aerobic composting.

Then, after it ferments (about 14 days after the bucket is full and you keep it closed that long), then it can be added to aerobic compost to go through toward being regular soil.

I think that we will need 4 large buckets for bokashi plus then 1 or two aerobic compost bins.

We currently recycle pretty much everything, but here's where I want to improve:

1. always having grocery bags in the car, as well as a couple of produce bags;

2. getting large jars to get our meats in -- this is currently the only stuff we get wrapped in plastic, plus our frozen berries and veggies.

3. getting flossing tools in lieu of floss, decluttering product from our home such as vinegar to wash hair, dishes, and clothes, as well as home; baking soda and stevia for tooth powder; baking soda/water/lavender for deodorant; coconut oil for lotion, mouth wash; a bit of had soap bars for hand washing -- which will decrease us down to buying vinegar, baking soda, and stevia in bulk (the latter two have card board packaging which can be composted).

And using the large vinegar jugs (as we are currently not refilling) as storage for our emergency water supply (5 liter containers, and we need 3 each -- for a total of 9). We currently have 1 container.

I would like to do humanure composting, but i think we are not ready for that yet. LOL

Zoebird
3-25-12, 6:03pm
Also, i think these composting facilities would be great for making power -- which is what they do in germany. . . as far as I understand. They heat homes with the methane.

fidgiegirl
3-25-12, 6:52pm
getting flossing tools in lieu of floss

Floss has been a real thorn in my side for a long time. What are these flossing tools of which you speak?

Compost bin is set up again! Yeah! Not willing to hook up the hose yet, so it isn't at the correct dampness, but it can sit there for a few weeks until we can soak it. No harm done.

I'll have to check out bokashi!!

I'm kind of interested in worm composting, but not sure if I can convince DH. The nice thing is now that we're in the bigger house, they could live in the basement. And The Urban Homestead (http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Homestead-Expanded-Revised-Edition/dp/1934170100/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332715883&sr=8-1) has a nice, inexpensive, intelligent design (at least to this novice's knowledge . . . )

Oh yeah, and then there's the dog poo . . . I had that other thread about that. The responses were mixed - not sure what to think!!!

Zoebird
3-25-12, 9:23pm
I think that dog poop can be composted same as humanure -- which is usually hot compost but people have had success doing it as aerobic, cool compost (vermiculture). I would do it, personally, though lots of people are concerned about microorganisms of course.

in lieu of floss, you'll look for a gum stimulator. it functions in a way very similar to floss, and so it's not necessary to floss. that being said, you can get compostable floss if you look for it.

fidgiegirl
3-25-12, 9:32pm
I just printed out some new spots to recycle items we're currently trashing: cereal bags, shrink wrap from packages (and from our move), bottle caps (thanks for the tip, Rosemary), spent linens/clothing/pillows/shoes. I will set up boxes or bags for these items and we can drop them at the appropriate locations periodically. Slowly but surely . . .

fidgiegirl
3-25-12, 9:48pm
Hmmm . . . if we got our trash down far enough, we could haul our own and cancel our hauler contract . . . I never knew this was allowed in the Cities . . . food for thought. Not only is their an environmental benefit to upping recycling/composting options, but there could be a pocketbook benefit.

Zoebird
3-25-12, 11:18pm
true indeed.

in our case, we pay $1.50 per bag which the city then hauls away. As it is, we put out 1 bag per month, and this is mostly organic waste. If we do things the way that I expect, we would be throwing away ear buds (i'm going to be ordering compostable ones -- the current ones have plastic) and plasters (band aids) as this is the only waste besides compostable waste!

Everything else is either recyclable or compostable.

I think if we could get down to 1 mason jar a year, that would be awesome. Second to this, we could have it hauled away at the office -- which we have down to one huge trash back per month (was once 1 per day with the previous crew who created a lot of trash-- very weird). Now we recycle most everything. So, that would take hauling down to $1.50 per month.

Rosemary
3-26-12, 8:09am
re: making yogurt - you just need some means of holding temperature over a period of 6-12 hours, depending on how tart you like your yogurt. I have a small yogurt maker that I bought years ago and that paid for itself in about 5 batches of yogurt; last time I checked, this model had been discontinued and there were none similar, but I've occasionally seen them at yard sales. It's made by Salton and holds a glass quart jar.

Other things you can do are use a crockpot with water to insulate the jar; an oven on the lowest setting; a cooler preheated with warm water and then refilled with warm water. Here's a summary: http://homecooking.about.com/od/dairyrecipes/r/bldairy9.htm
First you need to heat your milk to just boiling, then let it cool to between 100-110 (thermometer needed). Add yogurt starter and then insulate for the culturing time. That's it!

Old linens: when not suitable for donation, I take them to our cat shelter. I take our friends' spent linens there, too. They go through a lot for cat bedding and rags.

Fidgiegirl, for articles on worm composting and other things, check out Do It Green Minnesota's Twin Cities Green Guide, an annual publication that should be available at your library or coop. Not only does it give guidance on how to do many green things, but it lists local resources for finding supplies and further information. Some articles are online but the 2012 edition is not yet, and its theme was "a toolbox for green living." http://doitgreen.org/getguide
If you can't find a copy let me know; I have an extra one.

Stella
3-26-12, 9:29am
Kelli, thanks for starting this thread! It's so inspiring and you guys have posted so much information.

I'm trying to talk Zach into going back to cloth diapers. We did cloth with the first three, but he put his foot down with Travis since he felt we had a lot on our plate. At the time laundry was a big trouble spot in our house. Since he was the main laundry person in our house and he never, ever puts his foot down on anything, it seemed fair to compromise. It's a tough sell, but I am really hoping I can talk him into it. Diapers are expensive and make a lot of trash. We also have the laundry under control now, so I don't think it would be too big a deal.

jania
3-26-12, 9:53am
Ok, here's a link to Root Simple and their way to make yogurt at home. I vow to do this on my weekend and I will share my results.

http://www.rootsimple.com/search?q=yogurt

CathyA
3-26-12, 10:08am
I found a place about 40 miles from here that recycles VHS tapes, CDs, DVDs, audio tapes, jewel cases. I'm so glad I found that place, since I got rid of a couple hundred VHS tapes in the past year. Its a bit of a trek, but I save them up and take lots at one time. I'm so thankful that I found a place to take these. If you don't have a place like this close by, some places are fine with you mailing the stuff to them.

Our local town's recycling started taking all plastics about a year ago, which is great.
Since I recycle so much, it has made me painfully aware of how much we consume!
We have a compost pile and burn some things. We recycle most all papers, magazines, mail.

I watched a kids' show this weekend about a plastic drink bottle recycling plant. It was very interesting. They turn them into sheets of plastic for things like strawberry containers. They turn the caps into plant pots. They even recycle the paper labels on the bottles. I just hope people then recycle all those things.

Zoebird
3-26-12, 2:56pm
Stella,

How old is travis? Have you considered EC? how much older are your other kids?

With EC, you might consider a combination. We were given a container of 40 or so compostable disposables, and we used one per day for 40 days because we would EC.

EC is where you hold the baby over a potty or sink while they go, rather than having them go in their diapers.

It's got a bit of a learning curve (for parents), but once you have the hang of it, it's a lot of fun and very easy and MUCH less mess!

Also, since TRavis has older siblings, they could help too!

Stella
3-26-12, 6:00pm
Zoebird, I hadn't really thought about EC, but Travis actually does seem to be somewhat interested in potty trained now that James is. Travis will be a year old on Sunday and has been watching James, who is 2 1/2 and sometimes asking to sit on the potty when James is done. He hasn't done anything yet, but maybe it isn't totally out of the question. My mom said my sister was just about a year when she potty trained because she was watching me do it.

Stella
3-26-12, 8:53pm
OMG that is the best smiley ever! I love it Mrs. M! I will definitely take your laundry tips if I can talk Zach back into it!

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 8:56pm
Originally posted by Stella.
I'm trying to talk Zach into going back to cloth diapers. We did cloth with the first three, but he put his foot down with Travis since he felt we had a lot on our plate. At the time laundry was a big trouble spot in our house. Since he was the main laundry person in our house and he never, ever puts his foot down on anything, it seemed fair to compromise. It's a tough sell, but I am really hoping I can talk him into it. Diapers are expensive and make a lot of trash. We also have the laundry under control now, so I don't think it would be too big a deal.Good on you! As much as I realize you are a seasoned cloth diaper veteran, if you do go back to using cloth and find you could use a few extra hints/tips to work with, don't hesitate getting things started. I incorporated a few nifty little time and laundry savers (that I'd be pleased to pass along to you), which I'm sure would help add to, and make for a uber seamless cloth transition in your home.

P.S. The only thing I regret is not getting you to come into my home to toilet-train my kids! http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/b/baby_pooping-2218.gif

Zoebird
3-26-12, 9:00pm
Here, it's common to potty train around age 12 mo to 18 months, but most kids aren't independent with it (pants on and off by themselves) until they are 2 yrs old or more. still, it saves a lot on laundry.

the main method at this point is to take him to the potty every hour with a simple statement 'time for potty!' we found it easiest with DS to do it at every transition -- leavning the house, arriving somewhere, etc. and then a couple of times in between. He had books to look at in the bathroom, too, which helped him relax. And NO rewards. :)

After you have no misses over several weeks at going every hour or so, then extend it to 1.5, and then to 2. This is mostly teaching the body to go in the potty.

It's gentle, it takes time, but it works well.

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 9:03pm
Shucks, Stella! I seen a boo-boo in my original post, so I decided to quickly delete, then resubmit, hoping to get it all done before anyone else posted, but you beat me to the punch! :) Oh well... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Yes, that smiley makes me laugh every time! The sagging diaper reminds me of my kids rubber pants! :laff: Anyhow, will be keeping my fingers crossed for you in hopes of success.

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 9:17pm
I'll tell you, Zoebird, I envy moms like yourself (and Stella), who managed to train your kids early. Honestly, as embarrassed as I am to admit it, I was lazy in the toilet-training department, I really was. Plucking a diaper from the folded heap and applying it to baby's bottom, was too easy, and the laundry (and changing) never bothered me (really), so I just went with what I was the most comfortable with, and let my kids (sort of) decide on their own as to when they were ready.

My method didn't garner much notoriety from family (let me tell you), especially those who babysat, but looking back on it now, I'm glad I practiced a less stringent approach to training my brood, because there was no stress placed on any of my kids as to staying dry, and accidents were treated with a dusting of love, such as, "oh well, it's OK, better luck next time".

But I won't deny it, as I love your method. I'm actually sorry about two things, the first being that I should have hired Stella, to come into my home and do the training, and the second, I'm sorry I didn't hire you to come into our home to show me your method! Why does it always seem that easy and helpful solutions always come after the fact! Never at the time a mom needs them... :)

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 9:29pm
So sorry, Fidgeigirl, for veering off course. OK, back to the OP.

Has anyone mentioned to you how thorough your are? :) Great job! How about reusable 100% cotton/cloth household wipers? I do this, and nothing, I mean nothing, is better or compares! It may sound little, but it's really big when you think about the paper towels, saved.

Will revisit again in hopes of coming up with a few more ideas to toss your way...

fidgiegirl
3-26-12, 10:02pm
I second the notion, Mrs. M! In fact, we didn't buy any paper towels throughout our FOUR MONTH remodeling project. We had that many rags. My MIL did contribute some rags at the end, but now our stash is back up to more than where we started since I cleaned out my t-shirts! Amazing!! DH and I started cutting up old t-shirts years ago and have probably only bought 2 rolls of paper towels in 5 years - and only then because we used to need them for bacon and camping! LOL!

Today I brought home my yogurt container and foil to recycle. I would have just pitched at work in the past.

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 11:02pm
Groovy, Fidgiegirl!!! The change-over from paper to cloth, can be a hard one, but as I tell others, "once you do it, you'll never go back to paper". Going to sleep on this one and hopefully will be back with another fresh idea or two for you. :)

Zoebird
3-27-12, 1:43am
It's true.

We went paper-towel free in 2000 or so -- thank goodness! I'd love to go toilet-paper free (there are several methods as to how people do this -- from using a peri bottle to rinse the area to using old t-shirts as wipes and washing them) -- but DH is not for that at all. He loves the TP.

Did I mention that we cut our chemical load? we have moved to natural bar soap for hands, then vinegar for everything else pretty much (hair, skin, dishes, cleaning, etc). It's been working well. DH fusses about smelling like vinegar, but he doesn't. He smells fine. LOL

I think vinegar is the best stuff on the planet AND i found a place that makes it *locally* -- as in an hour from here. Awesome! :)

Rosemary
3-27-12, 8:07am
I think we use less than 1/2 roll of paper towels per year. It's just not something I reach for - we always have a surplus of rags, even for things that I want to throw away - so many rags that I can pitch them, too. But while traveling recently I saw abundant paper towel usage that I assume is more common around the U.S.: people seemed to reach for them for everything, from wiping spills to using for napkins (we use cloth here, too) to drying off produce that's been washed (I use dish towels or a salad spinner). I even take dish towels to use for things like this when camping.

In fact, we had so many rags from t-shirts, etc, that I gave away most of DD's diapers several years ago. I had already let 2 friends use them for their children, and they were returned to me still in usable condition. I kept a few that were ragged and gave the rest to still another mom with instructions to pass them on to someone else when she was done, or use them for rags. They are great for cleaning, but I simply did not need several dozen of them!

I agree that vinegar is wonderful. We use it for just about all cleaning (except for tile - not good for the grout). I personally find that the smell dissipates very quickly. When I walk into my house after cleaning, I never smell vinegar. Cooking smells linger far longer (which is usually a good thing - so cozy to walk into a house smelling of, for instance, the coconut curry stir-fry I made last night!).

fidgiegirl
3-27-12, 8:30am
Zoebird, you have me thinking about personal care products. I will have to start to transition. I have been experimenting with Dr. Bronners for shampoo, but not entirely satisfied. Seems that I need to wash my hair MORE often with it. But on the plus side, it smells like peppermint :) and I get no build-up.

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 11:13am
Vinegar, really is unbelievable isn't it, Zoebird. I remember a neighbour used to use vinegar in his garage for something. I don't remember exactly what for, but I do remember he used vinegar. Imagine... I don't use vinegar much anymore, but when I had little ones in diapers I used vinegar all the time. Da bomb!

I have always admired you, Rosemary, because I know how environmentally conscious you are. Out of all the people I know, you, definitely hold pole position in that regard. I, too, have a good healthy stash of "diaper wipers" I use for general household chores and cleaning, and a few are nearing twenty years old! As long as you don't snag them on something sharp, they last forever.

Fidgiegirl. I know it's a stretch (for a lot of people), but have you considered cloth wipes? As in a part-time alternative/option/solution to toilet paper? It was just one more thing I thought of that would allow you to curb paper use.

nswef
3-27-12, 12:25pm
After reading a post a year or so ago about using cloth for wiping urine I bought 6 pea green washcloths for me to use. I am amazed at how much less toilet paper we use. They work well, feel nice, clean up well in with the whites and the color keeps my husband from confusing them with regular washcloths.

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 12:38pm
Good on you, Nswef! Comfort, is the first thing I noticed after making the switch. P.S. Love your idea on using a like-colour for your cloths! What an awesome idea!

Zoebird
3-27-12, 3:52pm
yup, that's what i started doing too --- using old t-shirts that i'd made into DS's cloth wipes. they were very soft and comfortable. I have three Ts that are going to head into the rag bin, so I think i'll make them into wipes for myself and for DS. It's a simple process of wipe, rinse, and wash. Why not?

i'm thinking of switching from my cloth menstrual pads to a menstrual cup -- less mess apparently (and also less storage). I plan on keeping the pads of course, but if I can get the hang of a cup, that would be awesome.

fidgiegirl
3-27-12, 6:22pm
Fidgiegirl. I know it's a stretch (for a lot of people), but have you considered cloth wipes? As in a part-time alternative/option/solution to toilet paper? It was just one more thing I thought of that would allow you to curb paper use.

Well, I already use reusable menstrual pads as much as I can (not out and about, though I prefer them over plastic pads hands down) but I don't know what DH's reaction would be to the cloth wipes, mainly to laundering. I have considered them . . . how do you keep them between washes, everyone? Do you have a container you keep the dirties in, or just rinse them immediately, or what?

Zoebird
3-27-12, 7:39pm
I have a jar with vinegar and water in it. Then I rinse them at the end of the week in some hot water in a sink, and line dry. I do them after I do my hand-wash merino sweaters that i got for free from one of my clients.

Ok, here is the actual process. I get a clean one out of the cosmetics bag where i keep them, and then i put a little water on it because I find that more comfortable. Then I wipe, and toss it into the sink and sort myself. I then rinse the wipe right then, and put it into the jar with vinegar/water in it. Then I wash my hands.

Then on Saturdays when I do my hand wash in the laundry sink, I finish that wash by dumping the contents of the jar into hot water in the sink, do an agitate, and then rinse and line dry.

DH doesn't like. I like it fine, and so does DS. We currently buy two rolls of toilet paper per month -- DS soemtimes wastes some being a curious 3 yr old. And sometimes we use them as tissues (rather than using hankies, which is my preference).

Zoebird
3-27-12, 7:40pm
Oh, and disappointment. I tried trash palace -- which is a big recycling center here -- to come and get the renovation waste, but they were just putting me in circles and I have a deadline of getting everything out by FRIDAY -- so that's that. I called another waste center to have it hauled away. They will recycle what they can (they told me). There's a fair bit of scrap metal and the wall board is also recyclable. So, while it wasn't a free haul-away, it will at least be mostly recycled. :)

fidgiegirl
3-27-12, 8:51pm
That is a bummer, Zoebird. It hurt my heart to get a dumpster for our reno waste. :(

Thanks for the actual procedure on the pee pee cloths. I floated the idea to DH. As predicted, he was not game. ;) But we'll see. We do use a lot of TP.

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 9:02pm
Fidgiegirl. I haven't (as of yet) worked up enough courage to use reusable cloths for anything other than pee-cloths, but I would search around for a smaller sized plastic container (bucket/pail) with a lid, and because you're only dealing with a few drops of urine per cloth, there's no need to concern yourself over rinsing and soaking (unless you want to). To control odour, not that #1 cloths are odorous, you can sprinkle a little baking soda over the cloths at the end of each day (or every couple days).

As for laundering, I would run the cloths through with the likes of underwear, etc (if you consider white cloths). A little detergent, a dash of bleach (if you prefer), followed by a hot water wash. Line-dry/tumble dry.

If I were using cloths as full-time TP, I'd rinse after use, store in a covered pail/bucket, then launder every second/third day. (Same basic process as with cloth diapers).

P.S. So proud of you I am, Fidgiegirl, knowing you use reusable pads!

http://informationsocietymovement.org/images/icons/green-check-mark.png

Zoebird
3-27-12, 9:15pm
Yup, most people run them with their whites. But DH is squeamish about my menstrual pads and the cloth wipes, so I do those myself by hand.

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 9:26pm
It's funny, the beliefs and misconceptions some people have Re: washing reusable pads and diapers (and things) in a modern day washing machine. Such a sanitary process. No need to worry over germs or things afterwards.

cindycindy
3-27-12, 9:43pm
Re: making yogurt. I started making my own a few months ago. I know a yogurt machine is not necessary but, I invested in a yogurt maker (basically an item that simply keeps a constant appropriate temp.) because I wanted it to be fool proof. I purchased the item on amazon for about forty dollars. I also get the yogurt starter from Amazon (it was cheaper than health food store) again because I wanted it to be foolproof. However, you can use yogurt as a starter. I don't eat dairy so I make my yogurt from soy milk and my husband's from skim milk. I figured we save about 1,200 dollars a year by making our own. We are heavy yogurt eaters and the soy yogurt is so expensive to buy. The item I purchased came with two different sized covers so that you can use the small 6 oz yogurt jars that come with it or you can use large mason jars. I always make the soy yogurt in the small jars so my DH doesn't confuse it with his dairy yogurt. He is deathly afraid of consuming soy because he believes the estrogen in it will cause him to grow breasts. but i regress. The item is
http://www.amazon.com/Tribest-YL-210-Yolife-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B001DZ8S5U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332898894&sr=8-6 Wow, it's gone up four dollars since I purchased it.

fidgiegirl
3-27-12, 9:53pm
Re: making yogurt. I started making my own a few months ago. I know a yogurt machine is not necessary but, I invested in a yogurt maker (basically an item that simply keeps a constant appropriate temp.) because I wanted it to be fool proof. I purchased the item on amazon for about forty dollars. I also get the yogurt starter from Amazon (it was cheaper than health food store) again because I wanted it to be foolproof. However, you can use yogurt as a starter. I don't eat dairy so I make my yogurt from soy milk and my husband's from skim milk. I figured we save about 1,200 dollars a year by making our own. We are heavy yogurt eaters and the soy yogurt is so expensive to buy. The item I purchased came with two different sized covers so that you can use the small 6 oz yogurt jars that come with it or you can use large mason jars. I always make the soy yogurt in the small jars so my DH doesn't confuse it with his dairy yogurt. He is deathly afraid of consuming soy because he believes the estrogen in it will cause him to grow breasts. but i regress. The item is
http://www.amazon.com/Tribest-YL-210-Yolife-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B001DZ8S5U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332898894&sr=8-6 Wow, it's gone up four dollars since I purchased it.

LOL, cindycindy . . .

My mom gave me a yogurt maker, but I need to clean it up and try it. Thank you for sharing yours!! The one she gave me isn't as versatile (I like the idea of being able to make 3 qts at a time - mine can only make small jars) but it will get me started! Maybe this weekend.

fidgiegirl
3-27-12, 9:55pm
It's funny, the beliefs and misconceptions some people have Re: washing reusable pads and diapers (and things) in a modern day washing machine. Such a sanitary process. No need to worry over germs or things afterwards.

Strangely, DH is fine with my pads and our hankies going in with every manner of laundry, but he just about died when I mentioned the pee pee cloths. Still . . . ;)

Zoebird
3-27-12, 10:32pm
I think it's all a matter of what you are used to.

DH is totally against using cloth for bowel movements -- but i use them for myself and DS and do the rinse and it's easy enough. It's what I did with his wipes when he was a baby-baby, why would it be different now? I dunno.

Also, DH is weird about pee because he's a "shaker" -- he doesn't use paper for it. So the idea that we would have to clean pee out of cloths is weird for him. Of course, whenever DS wets the bed, we use the washng machine straight in the washing machine -- to wash those. So, I dunno.

Husbands are weird.

Mine won't let me compost my own waste. What's up with THAT? lol!

jania
3-28-12, 1:39pm
OK, so here is my yogurt making experience.....It was successful and so very easy! I was following the instructions from Root Simple. Yesterday afternoon I heated up my milk to 180 degrees, then let it cool to 110 degrees. I was using a quart of milk so added 1 Tablespoon of already made yogurt, whisked it in and poured it into my prepared quart jar (wide mouthed). I had already cleaned the jar, then to keep it hot I placed some boiling water in it and let it set during the time the milk was cooling. I placed my jar into a small cooler I have, wrapped extra towels around it and zipped it up. This morning, around 6AM I brought out the jar and placed it in the refrigerator. I just now took it out.....the yogurt was/is delicious!

I will not be buying those plastic containers from now on. Thanks for this thread for giving me the "umph" I needed to get this going.

Mrs-M
3-28-12, 4:11pm
First things first, welcome to our community, Cindycindy! So happy to have you! :) (Joining Fidgiegirl, in laughing over your husbands concerns)! :laff:

Yogurt making is something I have been wanting to start. When I'm ready, I'm going to consult with you, to help walk me through the process and get me going on it. P.S. Please stick around, we need newcomers like yourself!

Fidgiegirl. Not to encourage a TMI post, but, whether your DH admits to the fact or not, his underpants (probably) have absorbed the same amount of drops of urine in them at the end of a typical day, as what an average pee-cloth would at the end of it's day. I know this, because I have 5 boys in the house! :laff:

Zoebird. In retrospect, I'm happy diaper duty (in it's entirety) fell to me (and occasionally my daughters), because what my older boys and husband didn't see, didn't hurt them... But truth be known, I was so conscientious and dedicated over always ensuring "like items with like items" were always laundered together. (Reusable cloth pads, diapers, and pee-cloths, were always run through together). Never did I wash diapers, pads, or cloths, with dish or body/face/hand towels, nor with regular clothing. So all this fuss over germs and contamination is the result of nothing more than an overactive, wild imagination.

Jania. Going to be hitting both you, and Cindycindy, up for advice and tutoring when yogurt making time comes!

Zoebird
3-29-12, 3:31am
I don't have enough laundry to divide loads. We do jeans, heavy-duty stuff, and towels together -- often with undies. And then t-shirts and the like together. then I do my hand wash stuff (which is to say wool sweaters, cloth wipes, and menstrual pads). I don't wash them together, that's kinda three loads. LOL But they are so small, it takes no time at all.

Honestly, it takes quite a while for us to get a load together -- we do one load about mid-week and then a second load later in the week. This is why I thought I could do it all by hand, because on a given day, we have very little laundry.

I think that I could, but I'm so busy these days that I can hardly keep up with anything at all.

Today, for example, I got up, wrote three blogs for work plus some more marketing copy, then got off to work to get there by 9:30. We had the guys coming today to haul the stuff out of the one room -- and boy was I ticked since they charged me 4x the estimate! Well, they got there at 9:15, and then for some reason left and said "we'll be back in a few minutes."

I got there at 9:30 and set DS up with his books and breakfast stuff, and started to clear the things out of the room that we wanted to keep, so that they could haul the rest. By 10:30, they hadn't returned, so I called the office and they got there around 11. It took them just about 30 minutes to clear everything, and then I had a MASSIVE clean-up. I borrowed the industrial vac from the landlord, and got to work "ghost busting" (since you wear it on your back and let me tell you it is awesome and now I want one! LOL). That took me until 1:00 when I had to teach yoga.

AFter the class, I did some more vacuming because it's awesome when it's on your back like that. Seriously. It's like, the BEST way to vacuum. And because there was white powder from the wall boards EVERYWHERE. It was so messy.

And then I put everything back into the room (i need shelves, man, shelves!!!) and it looks really great to not have so much crap in there anymore and actually have a functional room. DS was so excited he kept showing people "see? this is MY office, but you can use it to change your clothes if you want." We saw 32 people today, so he said it at least 32 times. lol

Then I had to go through and clear out the other rooms as well, because I like to declutter on a regular basis. I find it vitally important. So, I decluttered and dusted and washed walls in each room, and then dressed the massage tables and so on and so forth and the whole place is sorted.

But my house is a mess because today was house-cleaning day and I had to come and clean the offices at 9:30.

Which means my house won't be cleaned until the weekend.

Mrs-M
3-29-12, 8:24pm
Fidgiegirl. I do believe many of us tend to (at times) place more emphasis on the short-term, rather than on the long-term, which IMO, equates to more beneficial return than the short-term approach. Placing way too much emphasis in wanting to always do more, can sometimes (I think) sidetrack us, and in doing so (being sidetracked), we loose sight of the good we are doing to curb the reduce in the areas we are, and that's a shame.

It's easy to always want to go the extra mile and do more, and more, and more, but there is a breaking-point to all this that can result in the demise of ones interest and dedication towards wanting to continue. I believe finding a comfortable and happy balance is key, where one is able to reach a happy-medium, knowing that whatever we are doing is contributing to the betterment of our home and planet. P.S. You're doing exceptionally great! Sometimes you just have to say to yourself, "we're doing all we can do, and there is no more room for expansion".

Mrs-M
3-29-12, 8:56pm
Zoebird. I did a little handwashing, but very limited. Not at all the form of handwashing in the true sense of actual "old-fashioned handwashing" as many people know it. Handwashing in my home equated to rinsing out a baby bib (or two) after mealtime (when I used cloth ones), a pair of rubber pants (or two) throughout the day (mostly hand-washed/line dried those anyways), and if I was doing laundry on the day of/morning of finding someone had awoken with wet pants (pyjama bottoms), instead of tossing the pants into the diaper pail, I instead, would whisk them off to the bathroom (because I almost always missed catching the washing machine wash cycle), give them a quick hand-wash in the tub, wring them out, then pin them up out back on the line to dry, or drape them over my wooden drying rack. A nice alternative in eliminating a single soiled item sitting around until the next laundering day.

Gee whiz, Zoebird, just reading about all the things you accomplished today makes me tired! Whew! Yes, indeed, the pack-sack styled vacuum sounds totally nifty! P.S. Give your son a peck and a hug (from me)! Such a sweetie he is.

fidgiegirl
3-29-12, 9:01pm
Hey all, I thought of another one. A few weeks ago I instituted a new frugal, but forgot to share it on the frugal thread and then that ship kind of sailed. But it applies here, too. So I bought two bags of dried beans and soaked them and made them in two crock pots, then rinsed and froze in mason jars. A little putzy, but now I have beans ready to go in the morning (I am adding them in to breakfast, yum) without rinsing or anything, just a nuke. And no cans with yucky lining. And a lot cheaper! I got about 8 jars out of the two bags, which would have cost about $12 pre-canned. I paid about $3 for the dried beans. So between the waste and the savings, it's worth doing again.

Mrs-M
3-29-12, 9:27pm
Way to go, Fidgeigirl! Sounds yummy good! (Slow and steady wins the race)! :) Nice part about beans, is nearly everything goes with them, so pulling together recipes is super-easy, and of course, so healthy, too! I'm still thinking for you...

Zoebird
3-29-12, 9:45pm
that's cool. it's a nice way to go if you eat beans. and a quick way to do brekkie for sure. :)

Stella
3-30-12, 10:16am
Kelli, I freeze beans like that sometimes too. It's very convenient.

I have been sewing up more cloth napkins. I really can't ever have enough cloth napkins in this family. With so many small kids we have lots of messy hands and faces.

Mrs-M
3-30-12, 10:27am
Great on you, Stella, Re: cloth napkins! Such an indispensable item they are! Nothing like having extras (or a reserve).

Stella
4-1-12, 9:56am
I agree Mrs. M. I love my cloth napkins. I have a big drawer in the kitchen reserved for washcloths, dishtowels, rags and cloth napkins, depending on the situation.

We have been stepping up the composting this spring too. Isabella is fascinated with the concept and is making a big effort to compost. We're also saving eggshells for using in our tomato pots.

This has been a very inspirational thread. It's one of those areas I could always do better at.

fidgiegirl
4-1-12, 5:23pm
Ok all, my first attempt at yogurt has begun. I am going to try the Year of Slow Cooking method: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html.

However, she says you cannot use ultra-pasteurized milk. I thought I had read that before, too. Is it just too dead?

Well, I inadvertently bought organic ultra-pasteurized. So I took it back, and lo and behold, ALL the organic milks at that Lund's were ultra-pasteurized. So then that made me mad because basically to refrigerate them is a marketing ploy; they could be stocked on the shelf. All throughout Mexico and Central/South America that's how people get their milk.

So anyway, long story short, what milk do you use so that it is both organic AND not ultra-pasteurized? Or is it really not that big of a deal? Looks like Cedar Summit might work.

Rosemary
4-1-12, 9:17pm
I'm pretty sure I've used ultra-pasteurized milk before with no problems. The organic half gallons tend to be ultra-pasteurized and I've bought them many times on sale. And no, they can't be stocked on the shelf - there is a difference between shelf-stable milk in the aseptic containers and the ultra-pasteurized, refrigerated milk.

I usually buy organic milk by the gallon at Cub or TJ's and freeze it in quarts (because I only use it for yogurt). When we're about halfway through a quart of yogurt, I take a jar of milk out of the freezer to thaw, because it takes about 2 days in the fridge.

fidgiegirl
4-1-12, 10:23pm
Well, that's good to know. Hopefully if this batch goes well, then next time I won't be so worried about it. I used whole milk this time but we always have skim on hand. If it runs low you'd think it was a national emergency ;)

Zoebird
4-1-12, 10:58pm
Can you get raw milk? That's the best. ;D

fidgiegirl
4-2-12, 7:55am
Well, fail on the yogurt. Pretty sure the temps were not correct and not sustained long enough. I have a thermometer, but didn't use it. Seems like the crock pot method is great for people whose crockpots run the same as hers, but lots of people in the comments did not have success - same as me - the yogurt didn't thicken. So I'm going to try a different method. Do you think I can reuse the milk, or should I just start over? I popped it in the fridge this morning.

Stella
4-2-12, 9:25am
Kelli, this (http://autumnwoodfarmllc.com/) is the dairy we go to, but I'm sure Cedar Summit would work too.

This thread is making me want to make some yogurt.

jania
4-2-12, 9:55am
Don't give up on the yogurt making fidgiegirl. Mine came out so well, I was surprised at how simple it was and how good it tasted. I used Straus milk (http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/) which does not ultra-pasteurize. Several years ago I made yogurt in a yogurt maker and I believe I just used whatever milk I had on hand and while it always worked, this batch I just made in the jar had an excellent taste (I'm thinking the quality of my milk was the reason). As far as checking temperatures, I really did use my thermometer to make sure I had that right. Best wishes on your second batch.

fidgiegirl
4-7-12, 11:36pm
Thanks all for the tips on the milk and the yogurt-making. Tonight I went to Whole Foods to get the stuff to try again, this time with my Mom's yogurt maker. I used the thermometer I had bought all those months ago when I first intended to try. I heated to 185, cooled to 110, put in the starter and some dry milk, and put in the yogurt maker. It is in the yogurt maker right now. Let's hope for the best.

It's funny that in the process of the yogurt making, I was reminded of another way we can reduce waste. We can get milk in returnable glass jugs. It is more expensive (even if you put aside the refundable deposit for the bottle), but it is local, delicious milk. We can get Cedar Summit in glass at our Whole Foods and at Mississippi Market Co-op (if I decide not to be mad at them anymore and to go back . . . we'll see . . . ), which is in walking distance. And I can get that milk that you linked to, Stella, at some of the groceries closer to work. So there are options.

We have started savings our misc. plastics for this program (http://www.itsinthebagmn.org/accepted-materials.cfm), and it is AMAZING how much we were putting in the garbage that we can send to this recycling program - which has its drop site at MS Mkt - another reason to make peace. I had hoped to organize those all cute-like but haven't gotten that far. So far, just a selection of plastic shopping bags (gleaned from family and friends for poop bags) hanging on hooks at the side door.

Zoebird
4-8-12, 7:39am
We used to get our milk in glass jars and it was awesome. But, our cow share hasn't converted yet. We are using plastic 2l bottles (half gal). :( Maybe I should email them and ask if they would be willing to use glass bottles if I supplied them? Hmm.

I am slowly transitioning us over to glass.

First, we have been getting some of our meat in jars. I need to get more jars (i'm using those flip-lid types), and the only meat I can't get wrapped in plastic is the chicken. I get two whole roasting chickens a week, and while the plastic is recycle-able, I'd prefer to get it without any plastic wrapping.

What we don't get in jars (due to the number of jars that we have), I get in paper that is not-waxed, so it is recyclable (also makes good carbon waste for the compost).

Second, i found a bulk store where I can take my jars and refill them. So far, we do get our nuts, dried fruit, etc in bulk, but it's in it's own packaging. So, we are recycling those plastics as well. In this instance, I take my own jars, and they give you a "discount" on the weight to account for the jars. So, this is good for us.

Third, I am replacing the plastic jugs that we have right now. I have one that I refill with vinegar and the other that I refill with soap. But through a brew-supply shop, I found 5 liter, flip-top bottles for $18 each. That's a good price, considering plastic containers of the same size cost $22 each!

I actually need a fair few. We are transitioning from drinking tap to collecting water at the natural spring. It's free, but you have to bring containers. In order to maintain ourselves and have an emergency supply for 3 days, we need sixteen 5l bottles.

Add to that one for vinegar, one for olive oil, and one for soap (all purpose castile), that's a total of 19 bottles. That's $342.

I have containers for these last three (plastics) so they are low priority.

High priority is getting our emergency water supply sorted, and I think a 3 day supply of water is a good start for us. That would be $90 in the glass bottles.

I don't have the money now, but it's something that I can put through the food budget down the track! I was just glad to find a resource.

So there is one -- your brew supply shop!

fidgiegirl
4-8-12, 11:01am
Fail AGAIN on the yogurt! OMG!!!

I am sure that again, it didn't hold at the proper temp overnight. The yogurt (well, milk) when removed from the yogurt maker, didn't even register 100 on the candy thermometer, and everthing I read said to maintain at 110 for the incubation period.

Frustrating!!!!

I might break down and buy a yogurt maker after all. :(

Thanks for the tip on the jars ZB . . .

Rosemary
4-8-12, 2:30pm
Hmm.. did you say you were borrowing a yogurt maker? Maybe you could turn it on and put warm water in the jar, and see how long it takes to get to temperature, and how long it holds that temp. 100-110 is the recommended range. I have a Salton YM9 for which I paid $10 5 years ago - I love it but unfortunately it was discontinued. However, I saw 2 similar yogurt makers at yard sales last summer. Have you tried using a cooler filled with warm water, or a crockpot on the "keep warm" setting? Check the temp first with water before using costly organic milk in them, though!

loosechickens
4-8-12, 2:33pm
just remember, the yogurt may have "failed", but that milk doesn't have to go to waste and can be used in anything you cook. Just fine for milk based soups, baked goods, etc.

Zoebird
4-8-12, 5:21pm
glad there's no waste, loose chickens! :D

fidgiegirl
4-14-12, 12:09pm
I tried again, and success! I ended up buying a yogurt maker (http://www.amazon.com/Tribest-YL-210-Yolife-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B001DZ8S5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334419580&sr=8-1) on Amazon, the exact one cindy recommended, for $45. We had some gift cards from Christmas so this was no $$ out of our pockets. I liked this model because you could do the little jar OR a big jar. And it turned out!! So happy!! Tonight I am going to do a second batch in a bigger container and try straining it for greek yogurt. Yipppeeeeeeeee! Finally, yogurt-y success! Thanks all for your help and encouragement.

We are off to the biggest textile garage sale of the year this afternoon and I am going to look for some flannel for hankies. I can't find them to buy anymore, and would like to cut down on the Kleenex/TP usage - that's most of the trash going out of our bathroom and bedroom. I need a volume though, as we are pretty high users :D Once I bought a bunch of washcloths for this purpose, but they were too dang scratchy and just too big to stick in your pocket for a few more uses. I would like to make little flannelettes that can be used for one or two blows, thrown in a bin, washed and put out for the next time. I already have enough hankies for when I'm out and about - it's in home use that is problematic.

jania
4-15-12, 9:10am
Congratulations on the yogurt success!

fidgiegirl
4-26-12, 9:22pm
Well! Not sure if it's related to our efforts, but this week we only had one bag of garbage. Excellent!

We also signed up for the new neighborhood organics drop off. We will be able to put all kinds of stuff in there including bones and meat, dairy, kleenexes, etc. Of course we could put kleenexes in the back yard, too, but we run out of room. It's pretty exciting. Paper plates, compostable tableware or carryout boxes, etc. It will be ready to go by mid May.

flowerseverywhere
4-26-12, 10:48pm
We are off to the biggest textile garage sale of the year this afternoon and I am going to look for some flannel for hankies. I can't find them to buy anymore, and would like to cut down on the Kleenex/TP usage - that's most of the trash going out of our bathroom and bedroom. I need a volume though, as we are pretty high users :D Once I bought a bunch of washcloths for this purpose, but they were too dang scratchy and just too big to stick in your pocket for a few more uses. I would like to make little flannelettes that can be used for one or two blows, thrown in a bin, washed and put out for the next time. I already have enough hankies for when I'm out and about - it's in home use that is problematic.

We have almost no garbage or waste from nasal or bathroom use. I made a stack of wipes/rags from left-over 100% cotton fabrics. I hemmed them but you really don't have to. there are plastic containers with lids in the bathrooms for rags (I put some water with detergent in the container) which has not been a problem. I keep a stack of rags for nasal use and we just change out or add the rags in our pockets every morning.

for the kitchen I made placemats and napkins out of an old tablecloth. Check yard sales or sale bins of store for them.

fidgiegirl
5-19-12, 7:12pm
Flowers, I plan to do this as well. I tried with wash cloths and they were too rough for the nose. Neither of us is squeamish, just a question of setting up a workable system.

I am also excited that it is garage sale season. We picked up a mixing bowl with a handle today for $3. Stainless steel, too. We have been wanting one for a long time but have held off because none were quite what we wanted, at least for the price. This one is great. I also got a garbage bag for my car. I was planning to make one but it was only $1 so can't beat that, and it's still out of the waste stream.

I heard a report on MPR yesterday (http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/05/18/daily-circuit-garbage-garbology-edward-humes/) that has me thinking about this again. We are doing a lot better since I started this thread. For example, we collect all the wrappings off packages (like the toilet paper package) and cereal bags, etc. to drop off at the local co-op for recycling. Doing this has made me much more cognizant of the volume of this type of plastic that we waste. A lot of it is generated from going to Costco. sometimes bulk is a savings on packaging, but not when they just shrink wrap the regular size of things together. So I am thinking twice about the environmental value of going there. At least - thank God - they don't offer people plastic bags. Their reuse of boxes is genius.

I have quit buying yogurt in little tubs. Two reasons - I got the yogurt maker, plus I was advised to go off dairy. Doh!

We are recycling all the foil we can, even little bits of it. For whatever reason, we used to throw that stuff.

I was having a bit of an epiphany today in Target. You really can't go to a store like that if you are dedicated to reducing your waste. It's just very difficult. You almost have to go to co-ops, farmers' markets, secondhand stores exclusively.

I am really really really really excited for the neighborhood organics pickup to start. We bought the required bags today (a little miffed about that, but a small price to pay) and plan to compost all the paper goods from the party this weekend. We are also saving our bones, etc. in the freezer for when the pickup service opens. It feels awesome to know that, for example, when I'm done making stock from that chicken carcass, I can still send it on to a useful life in the compost pile. It's really the next frontier in waste reduction, I feel.

Also still excited about the idea of having multiple small receptacles in each heavily used room (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen at least) for recycling, compostables and garbage. I know I'm guilty of sometimes throwing a small tag in the garbage because I don't want to keep track of it to get it to the kitchen recycling. Or plastic wrap. Or our kleenexes (although hoping to eliminate . . .) or Q tips. Just have to find receptacles at an acceptable size and price point.

And then there is the dog poop. Can't quite yet make the leap to burying it/composting it in a doggy waste composter, but getting closer.

This whole thing also has me conflicted, though, about questions like should we get rid of our TV, which doesn't particularly fit this space, but is fully operational, especially when we aren't that invested in TV, so I really don't want to part with $$ for a new one. Or sheets. I'm sick of ours, they are hand me downs, stretched, stained, etc., but they still cover the mattress so do I really, truly want to get new ones? Cotton is a really damaging crop.

Bah. I'm gonna go plant some lettuce and basil. It's gonna rain soon.

SteveinMN
5-19-12, 10:24pm
Kelli, I have to say I admire the thoroughness of your efforts! It makes me think about the waste we generate -- and we already recycle a lot and buy with recycling in mind. Reducing the intake is a whole new level ...

fidgiegirl
5-20-12, 10:05am
Steve, thanks very much. Listen to the report if you have a chance. It's about 45:00, but mind boggling - worth a listen.

Mrs-M
5-21-12, 2:43pm
Originally posted by Fidgiegirl.
I tried with wash cloths and they were too rough for the nose.One word... flannelette! You can blow and blow (till your hearts content) and never rash-up, chafe-up, or turn raw, as a result.

thinkgreen
5-21-12, 9:25pm
Oh, Mrs. M - that's what we use. We had some old pjs and old sheets of flannelette, parts of them were worn out but parts of them were just like new. So we cut them up and hemmed them to hankie size. Been using them for years now and they wash up so easily and are so soft to use.

fidgiegirl
5-21-12, 9:35pm
Now that we're done with the bulk of our remodeling and have everything unpacked and put away (finally!) after having THREE parties in May, I need to remind myself that I can actually accomplish things like sewing and reading in the evenings instead of just cleaning and painting and schlepping boxes!! Nice feeling.

Mrs-M
5-21-12, 10:35pm
Thinkgreen. Good on you! :)

I cannot tell you how many times I have thanked the gods for flannelette! Soft, absorbent, long-lasting, easy-care.

frugalone
5-22-12, 10:03pm
I'm sorry--the 14-year-old in me saw your thread title and was reminded of something I saw once that said, "We're upping our standards--so up yours."
:~)
Sorry, sorry.