PDA

View Full Version : Information Diet

RoseFI
3-25-12, 1:51pm
Yesterday I heard a GREAT interview on Bob Edwards Weekend. (Unfortunately that show is produced by mega-corp SeriusXM, so although I heard it through PRI, Serius won't let anyone access a podcast of it that I can direct you to.) Anyhow, this book seems like a MUST READ, and very much in line with the FI program, only as applied to news. Really good points were made in the interview regarding people's interest in just having their opinions reinforced, as opposed to getting new information. (I'm going to cross-post this in all the applicable forums!)

Check out the Information Diet (http://www.informationdiet.com/) and let us know what you think.

ApatheticNoMore
3-25-12, 2:37pm
No information but buy my book. Really I guess it's ironic, but I got no information at all from that site, but I got a sales pitch.

RoseFI
3-25-12, 3:32pm
Ironic indeed. As I said, unfortunately Serius won't let them publish podcasts of the interview. Pretty stupid policy. If I could send you to Bob Edwards Weekend, you might become hooked on the show and listen to it every weekend. But as it is, all I can do is send you to the show's blog post, which just lists it with a link to the book's website -- which I guess does not give a lot of incentive to buy the book? I thought there were at least some videos on the book's site...

AmeliaJane
3-25-12, 4:03pm
I heard a mention of this book soon after it came out--unfortunately the library does not have it, and although it sounds interesting, not something I would choose to pay the new hardcover/digital price on. I hope to find a less-expensive used copy down the road.

puglogic
3-25-12, 9:35pm
It sounds like very important reading, though probably nothing I haven't pondered before, it would be good to get a refresher. I'll see if I can get our library to order it. (Turns out they have it in the system; I ordered it via interlibrary loan) I see the value in this, having done a "news fast" with Dr. Andrew Weil's programs in the past, and watched my stress levels sink.

gail_d
3-26-12, 8:19am
Heard the interview, too! Very thoughtful and I'll be looking for the book in my library.

Florence
3-26-12, 8:26am
Wow! I didn't realize that several others here listened to Bob Edwards Weekend too! I heard the interview and plan to read the book too.