PDA

View Full Version : Final words from my friend with brain cancer...

redfox
4-5-12, 9:09pm
Last journal entry
I am now 19 months out from my initial diagnosis of brain tumor (GBM). Ole BT has now clearly worked into my head. The metaphor I have is that he is at a control panel with valves controlling specific parts of my body, my left motor control, my eyesight, my fine motor dexterity, balance, leg strength, energy, speech and emotions. It feels like BT is starting to slowly, slowly shut down the valves of each function. He plays an evil game of loosening one up for a while, giving me a short reprieve before shutting it down again. I do not know which is the last valve he will turn down. I am diving into my inner spiritual world these days being guided by my wind spirit that has blown me so sweetly on my path of life until a harsh gust slammed BT into my body. My earth spirit is pulsating through my body comforting me as I deal with winds of change. I have never experienced such deep sadness. So deep and never ending.....a never ending crevasse of sadness. I love this world so much and I do not want to give it up. Tears welled up and overflowed this last week from the depths of this sadness. Unending tears. A question arises within me as a visual person. I wonder where all of those many beautiful images of the world that I carry with me will go? Do I take them with me or are they released into the world somehow?
So as my body shuts down it becomes my journey to walk alone.....to leave peacefully a life that I love, people I love, a world that I love.... I feel complete. I know I gave love to this world.

These words from an Irish tune express my thoughts now:

Oh all the money that e'er I spent
I spent it in good company
And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas, it was to none but me And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas, it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Oh all the comrades that e'er I've had
Are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I've had
Would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call

My vision of passing from life to death is one of my riding on the back of a grizzly bear softly padding toward the gossamer veil that separates life and death. And when we get to the veil the grizz will gently set me down on the other side. I do not know what will be there but I know it will be peaceful and I will be OK.....more than OK....what will I be? Content? As the grizz sets me down I will feel all of your love and support behind me. Thank you for that. The grizz will quietly leave me and find another to help with their transition. My wind and earth spirit will follow me through to the other side.

You can honor me and celebrate my life by saying “yes” to whatever comes your way. Love those around you. Speak from your heart. Say what you really think, honor yourself and Love, Love, Love. Love is all there is Love is all there is.

Valley
4-5-12, 9:32pm
Thank you for sharing this with us...I am moved beyond words!

Float On
4-5-12, 9:58pm
Beautiful

JaneV2.0
4-5-12, 10:11pm
Very powerful.

herbgeek
4-5-12, 10:16pm
Wow. Just....wow. Thanks for sharing.

lhamo
4-6-12, 5:51am
Wow. I hope if I ever have to confront something like that I can do it with the same amount of grace. Hugs to you and your friend, and all who love her, during this difficult time of transition, redfox.

lhamo

catherine
4-6-12, 7:23am
Thank you.

razz
4-6-12, 8:35am
Beautifully said so thank you.

leslieann
4-6-12, 9:33am
Thank you for sharing this blessing with me. thank you.

puglogic
4-6-12, 10:35am
Big hugs to you, redfox. Your friend's beauty and grace will find its way to the "place where light is gathered" and we will all continue to share it forever.

iris lily
4-6-12, 11:20am
This life we have is such a gift. Those who are dying, like this woman, realize it, and it is a gift from them that they shine a light on that truth. Hopefully, we all will appreciate being alive today after reading this.

I could go off on a rant about one of my friends who is focused on life after life right now because she can't believe that "this is IT" , and I am annoyed that she cannot appreciate the incredible gift that we've got. But see, then I am focusing on absolutely THE WRONG THING rather than the gift that is my life, so--calm down, Iris!

Lainey
4-6-12, 3:46pm
Wonderful posting, redfox. Sad but inspiring.

happystuff
4-7-12, 8:38am
Thank you so much for posting this. You will never know how much it means to me - especially now, this time of year. The last exchange of words, the last interactions between people before one leaves this life can remain so strongly and forever with the one left behind. To have such thoughts and words that you have shared is a treasured gift!

Zoebird
4-8-12, 10:12am
Thank you, red fox.

It's a really beautiful piece: lots of grace.

I wish you all the best in this transitional time among your friends.

gimmethesimplelife
4-8-12, 11:13am
Amazing post. Really makes me wonder about how so many people go through their lives stresssed out about things that really are not all that important at all.....

Mighty Frugal
4-10-12, 3:54pm
so touching this post brought me to tears. What an amazing friend you have and I will try to rejoice in this life even more than I do. Nothing but love really does matter

Gregg
4-10-12, 5:39pm
That truly shows amazing grace. Thank you redfox.

HumboldtGurl
4-11-12, 12:42pm
This took my breath away. Thank you for sharing.

Redfox, your friend was right. My friend Chris, who died suddenly from cancer last year, said the very same thing during his last few moments on earth: Love is all there is.

Blackdog Lin
5-7-12, 8:39pm
It reads to me as a prayer. A powerful and beautiful prayer.

Thank you for posting it.

frugalone
5-7-12, 9:12pm
Oh goodness...I might start crying...I wish you and your friend peace. And hugs.

Sissy
5-8-12, 1:13pm
This is so inspiring. I hope that (if I should have to go that way) I can have that peacefulness and gratitude for a life well lived.

KayLR
5-8-12, 5:11pm
What beautiful imagery. I would hope whatever your friend found at the veil and beyond brings him or her peace and joy forever. This must have brought a certain amount of peace to his or her family, to know he/she felt so peaceful toward the end.

redfox
8-11-12, 5:16pm
My friend Greg died at midnight last night, at home, surrounded by his family. He had been publicly silent since sending out the words I posted in April, gently descending into departure since then, cared for by his family & faith community, home in the house he built.

Please hold him and his beloved wife and daughters in your prayers... thank you.

razz
8-11-12, 7:04pm
{{{{Gregg and family}}}}}

redfox
9-6-12, 8:15pm
Today I received the memorial announcement for Greg, who passed away nearly a month ago, and the news that Marilyn passed away this morning... both from glioblastoma. My husband & I will be on Lopez for Greg's memorial next weekend, and we're heading to Marilyn's wake this evening.

Contemplating life, dying, death, love, family, community. Please hold both of their families in the Light...

Valley
9-6-12, 8:22pm
I am very sorry for all of the hurt you are feeling. Comtemplation is good...not always easy...but good for the body, soul, and mind! God bless you as you journey through your grief.

Lainey
9-6-12, 8:46pm
I agree with Valley, we are forced to contemplate our humanness when we witness the death of loved ones.

Just this last weekend a former co-worker died from cancer. She was my same age, so it's that much closer to home.

lhamo
9-7-12, 12:44am
So sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friends, redfox. Hope the memorials are a chance to celebrate everythign they brought to the world and the lives they touched.

lhamo