PDA

View Full Version : How to (almost) burn down your house with clutter

bae
6-5-12, 6:43pm
I've been massively decluttering and organizing my garage the past few weeks.

Today, I opened up a cardboard box which had been sitting on a shelf for 12 years. Before that, it had been sitting on a shelf in the basement in my previous home for 8 years, and before that, in a shelf in my garage in my previous house for a couple of years.

It was water-damaged on the outside from several burst pipe incidents over the years. Upon inspection, it was some obsolete, moldy, mildewy surplus-store camping supplies from my high school years, that I'd stopped using even then as I had upgraded. Dented canteed cups, aged bungy cords, some rotten belts, other odds and ends.

Without a thought I threw it into the 55-gallon plastic garbage can meant for the dump.

I then threw a bunch of other things into the garbage can over the next 5-10 minutes, then took a break to cook lunch. As I was waiting for something to warm up, I remembered I'd left my water glass in the garage, so I popped out to get it.

Smoke, nasty toxic white smoke, everywhere, and flames shooting up out of the garbage can.

I put it out with the handy huge fire extinguisher I'd just nicely mounted on the wall (before it was a bit buried behind other things).

Turns out the old camping supplies had a few boxes of old strike-anywhere, waterproof matches inside a plastic bag. And I'd managed to light one of them when I tossed a heavy item or two atop the pile, where it smoldered for a bit.

Ooops.

http://www.thefastertimes.com/basketball/files/2011/05/Smokey-Bear-Only-You-Posters.jpg

Alan
6-5-12, 6:52pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM

razz
6-5-12, 7:27pm
Easy enough to do with old clutter junk. DH had suggested a policy years ago when we made our first move that when we moved if we had not opened it in the past year, it was discarded. I have lost a couple of things including some photos but, by and large, nothing that we sadly missed.

Doing a massive cleanup this week as the weekly garbage pickup is taking large household items for the first time in three years. We got an old bed chesterfield (minus the springs that we unscrewed for recycling for scrap metal) and two old livingroom chairs out for pickup. The sad part is that when one sees some of these old items in the full sun, they are really disgusting with fading and wear. Makes us wonder why we kept them this long. Of course, now we need some simple comfy TV watching chairs for the TV room downstairs in the finished basement.
I suggested some plastic adirondack chairs but DH, for some reason, was not in approval of that idea.:~)

Mrs-M
6-5-12, 8:02pm
Pardon the pun, but "holy smokes"! Talk about perfect timing on your part. (Wipe brow).

LOL, Alan!

Float On
6-5-12, 8:26pm
Glad you caught that bae, I did have a friend accidently burn their house down doing something very similar.

CathyA
6-5-12, 9:54pm
Wow........what were the odds of those matches getting struck just right to light up?
Glad all is okay!

Selah
6-6-12, 6:02am
Alan, it was a good thing Bae wasn't "living in a shotgun shack!"

lhamo
6-6-12, 5:20pm
Glad you're ok and you didn't burn down the house (or the greater part of Orcas)

You must have been seriously flush when you retired if you had the resources to haul that stuff all the way from the Bay Area to the San Juans!

Go forth and declutter...

lhamo

danna
6-6-12, 10:07pm
I feel for you Bae I am now purging our garage and have thought OMG there is too much
here and how little it would take to start a fire.
Today I opened what I thought would be one more power tool today to find a handy man special welding kit
what I think is a canister of propane and now not sure what to do with it.....I guess
hazardous waste with all the BBQ propane tanks.
With everything that goes the lighter I feel....

frugalone
6-12-12, 12:21am
Wow, that was lucky that you caught it! I'm glad nobody was hurt!

bae
6-25-12, 10:06pm
Decluttering progress so far: (I didn't know I had a window back there...)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3iPpdWWCIhg/T-kTaYea_YI/AAAAAAAAFrs/UXJ6rWh9rt8/s800/Awesomized.jpg

sweetana3
6-26-12, 5:47am
The garage is now a thing of beauty.

gimmethesimplelife
6-26-12, 8:40am
That does look very nice and decluttered and organized! Rob

Mrs-M
6-27-12, 11:24pm
Looking good. Love the Mazda Miata.

Alan
6-28-12, 8:31am
Looking good. Love the Mazda Miata (BMW).
Fixed it for ya! :confused:

kitten
6-28-12, 1:33pm
omg, that car is to die!

Decluttering progress so far: (I didn't know I had a window back there...)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3iPpdWWCIhg/T-kTaYea_YI/AAAAAAAAFrs/UXJ6rWh9rt8/s800/Awesomized.jpg

bae
6-28-12, 1:51pm
omg, that car is to die!

I built that in 1999. I took a stock 2.8 liter in-line 6 cylinder BMW Z3 which had 193hp, bored out the engine, supercharged it, replaced the exhaust system and engine compute with something more appropriate, put completely different suspension and brakes on it, and reinforced the chassis. All without leaving any external signs, except for a slight difference in the exhaust pipe appearance. It now develops....more....hp, and is stupid fast.

I had in mind Mad Max's "the Last of the V8 Interceptors", except stealthier - I was still living in Silicon Valley then, and BMWs were all over the place :-) I was talked out of putting nitrous injection due to the fact that the system would have consumed the entire trunk, and the drivetrain probably wouldn't handle the power at all, I would have needed to reinforce lots of things, and use studded snow tires :-)

Now it lives a quiet life toodling down country roads.