PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Escape Ladder?

CathyA
6-8-12, 8:44am
Have any of you ever purchased an emergency escape ladder for upper stories, to use in case of fire?
DD is moving into an apartment on the 3rd story of an old house. Being the "worst case scenario" person that I am, I'm thinking of buy her one of these (in addition to smoke alarms and co detectors).
Anyone ever buy one?

Gregg
6-8-12, 9:16am
Closest thing I've ever had was a metal ladder bolted to the side of a deep basement window well. Guessing you're talking about the rope, roll up ladders with the hooks on the top end? If one of my kids were moving into a place too far off the ground to jump down without risking serious injury I would run, not walk, to the hardware store to buy one of those for them to keep in the closet. And don't forget a fire extinguisher for under the kitchen sink! And flashlights!!!

lhamo
6-8-12, 9:23am
Not a bad idea, given the relatively low cost/potentially high benefit.

One of my grantees lived across the street from that horrific highrise fire in Shanghai that killed so many people a couple of years ago. I live on the 30th floor of a Chinese highrise. Aren't any ladders high enough to reach us. So if this place catches on fire, we're pretty much up in smoke. Try not to let it bother me too much. I like this post that just went up on Mister Money Mustache as a way of putting things in perspective:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/06/07/safety-is-an-expensive-illusion/

But again, if there are minor, inexpensive things you can do to be better prepared, probably doesn't hurt.

lhamo

CathyA
6-8-12, 9:23am
Thanks Gregg! Its nice when someone has similar feelings as I do about my kids' safety, instead of just rolling their eyes! Thanks.

CathyA
6-8-12, 9:25am
Thanks Pug,
We were writing at the same time.
Maybe its more for my peace-of-mind, but it definitely helps! I'm just a girlscout at heart........be prepared.

Float On
6-8-12, 11:11am
We have one upstairs in our son's room. It's the only thing allowed under the bed. Which reminds me we haven't had a 'fire drill' since they were probably 7 and 8 and both of them were in that room.

CathyA
6-8-12, 12:19pm
oops........I said Pug and meant lhamo. Sorry lhamo!

CeciliaW
6-8-12, 10:07pm
Great link, lhamo. Thanks!

redfox
6-9-12, 2:23am
Yeah, now that you mention it! Haven't seen it for awhile. A buried escape ladder is pretty useless! I think I'll dig it out this weekend.

lizii
6-9-12, 3:01am
I live on the second floor of a wooden building. I've thought about buying a ladder in case the building catches on fire, but have decided not to do it since my apartment has a built in alarm plus in the hallways and each apartment here. I feel safe and protected.

CathyA
6-9-12, 12:43pm
You'd all probably want to make sure the window could easily open too...... Yes, you could break the glass, but if you can't breath, time is of the essence.