PDA

View Full Version : Art Project

Float On
7-4-12, 10:29am
http://vimeo.com/40307604

Finally got permission from the project leader to share this promo 3D rendering of the art installation we're a part of. Here is the project we're working on - we're making all the glass. We've got a deadline to get our part done (around 400+ orbs) for an early August install date. This is at a new building at Texas Tech.

Hopefully the link works - if you have to enter a password use pat2011temp

rosarugosa
7-4-12, 12:02pm
Beautiful -thanks for sharing. So glad you folks got the job!

Tussiemussies
7-4-12, 12:24pm
Really beautiful!!! Yes, glad you got the job!

try2bfrugal
7-4-12, 1:27pm
It looks beautiful. Making art like that is a pretty cool job to have.

Float On
7-4-12, 1:34pm
Making art like that is a pretty cool job to have.

Actually it's a pretty HOT job.....seriously.
We work the glass around 2100 degrees and the glory hole to reheat in is hotter than :devil: - the temp in the rest of the studio is around 115 right now unless you are standing directly in front of the swamp cooler (which is where I like to stand). Usually we try to have the studio shut down completely from July-Aug. Its hard to stay in there longer than a few hours at a time.

Mrs-M
7-4-12, 1:49pm
OMG! My favourite kind of art! Magnificent!

peggy
7-4-12, 4:52pm
Very cool! How large is each globe? (golf ball, grapefruit, basketball, etc..) It appears each globe is lighted individually, right? How are they suspended? What a neat project. I hope you all take lots of pictures to show us when it is finished.

razz
7-4-12, 5:02pm
That is lovely and new looking with bright colours!

Jemima
7-4-12, 5:26pm
Beautiful work, Float On!

Float On
7-4-12, 5:55pm
Grapefruit or a little larger.
Externally lit. We irridized (gave a shine) to each one so they are a little reflective.
Each one is hung (or Suspended) on that super thin almost invisible cable stuff with an internal support (plug like thing). Regular orbs or like our christmas ornaments we'd make a glass loop hook for but hanging 3 stories up and there are air blowers up there that will make this move as well (not planned). Internal support seems safer.

It represents students going into Texas Tech and then being sent out. The ones 'sent out' will all have a little spash of red on them (Texas Tech color).

Thanks for the kind words, it's fun to be a part of this project (and to have the work too).

Dhiana
7-4-12, 7:12pm
That looks like a wonderful project! I can't wait to see what the final piece will look like when installed :)
Be sure to come back and post vid/photos when it is complete!!

artist
7-4-12, 10:29pm
That is awesome!

CeciliaW
7-5-12, 2:35am
That is going to be Gorgeous! Well Done Both of You.

Nella
7-5-12, 10:02am
Love glass sculptural work. It'll be worth the hard work and the heat!

Float On
7-25-12, 11:10am
and.....we're done.
:+1:

Well, except for 20 more he needs to make tonight for 'back ups'. Our team leader came by last night and picked up all the orbs. He'll lay them out and number/tag them for their positions. When they arrive at Texas Tech to install, they'll lay out the vinyls (like huge billboard vinyls) that have the codes and numbers for each orbs placement. Then they'll shoot laser lights up to the ceilings to place the wires. I'm so glad I don't have to be a part of that process! Hopefully when it's all done the team will shoot me a few images and I can share it here as well as on our facebook business page.

DH is ready for a little time off but he's got a gallery order to work on for one of our FL galleries. Maybe after that he can slow down for a bit.
I may let him order his 17th Native American Style Wood Flute as his just reward when we get our final payment on the installation (he's been hinting at a few).

Mrs-M
7-25-12, 11:38am
Grand! Hoping to see a pic or two surface.

Gardenarian
7-26-12, 3:20pm
That is just beautiful. How did you ever learn how to do this??

Selah
7-26-12, 3:22pm
Super cool and yummy! Congratulations on getting and more or less completing the job. I'd love to see a photo of the actual, final installation.

Float On
7-26-12, 4:41pm
That is just beautiful. How did you ever learn how to do this??
I married into it. :)
DH was actually in music and crossing the country to do more school in CA (he is from SC). He stopped mid-way for a summer 'fun job' and ended up as an apprentice in a hot shop. It stuck. He's been in the glass 27 years now. He worked here in MO, went to NY to work in another studio, returned to MO, we met/married, we built our studio, he taught me to help.....etc...

Florence
8-1-12, 1:56pm
It's lovely! It makes me feel light and happy.