PDA

View Full Version : scenic drives in upper midwest?

Spartana
8-18-12, 12:24pm
Now that it's getting hot here in SoCal but cooling off in the rest of the country (and the summer crowds will be gone - YAY!), I'm getting ready to take another road trip. This one from SoCal to Washington and then Hwy 2 across the upper part of the country to New England. I've never spent any time in the upper midwest and am looking for suggestions for drives, hikes, biking routes, or places to visit or stay that are scenic or unique. Any suggestions? I'm just meandering with no plan or time limit so don't mind going aways off my route. I'll also be travelling with a small dog. :thankyou:

Tradd
8-18-12, 12:45pm
Northeastern part of lower Michigan (the mitten) on Lake Huron. US-23 branches off from I-75 north of Bay City. It's probably a 3-4 hour drive, from what I remember. US-23 follows Lake Huron and much of the way, you can see the lake. Between Alpena and Rogers City, the road is a little more inland, but at Rogers City, it hugs the shoreline again. When you're not along the lake, you're in lovely trees. US-23 rejoins I-75 at Mackinaw City before you get to the Mackinaw Bridge.

I was a newspaper reporter up in Alpena for 16 months after college, in 1991-92. I left there almost exactly 20 years ago.

A plus about "The Sunrise Side" as it was called, is that while there is touristy stuff along Lake Huron, the crowds and expense were considerably LESS than the comparable places across the state on Lake Michigan.

Random fact - at least as of 20 years ago, Atlanta, MI, inland by about an hour from Alpena, was still celebrating V-J Day. That was their summer celebration instead of Memorial Day.

ETA: there is national/state forest land up north (as the Detroit area folks call it). The fall colors up there were spectacular when I was there.

Tussiemussies
8-18-12, 12:46pm
For Christmas my husband bought me the book "The Most Scenic Road Trips In America" by Reader's Digest;
this book is fantastic with interesting road trips and things to look for.

They only have an older version on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Most-Scenic-Drives-America/dp/0895778629

Here is the one from Reader's Digest that is more updated and there is a list of the states that they feature photos on maybe that is a clue if they have something written to where you are going.

If you want to tell me what states you are going through I can look them up in the book and let you know if there is anything on that state...
http://www.rd.com/advice/travel/the-most-scenic-drives-in-america-all/

Maybe they would have this book in your library?

cattledog
8-18-12, 7:16pm
If you are up in MN or Western WI, I'd take a drive along the St. Croix river. One of my favorite scenic drives is Wisconsin St Hwy 35. It's so pretty. The river and all the surrounding bluffs are pretty all year round. It's not very populated either, but there are enough places to stop for bites to eat if you need to.

Square Peg
8-18-12, 7:52pm
Not sure about the midwest, but we just drove Route 2 from Glacier to Spokane, and it was fabulous! Beautiful drive. Be sure to stop for a leg stretch at Albeni Dam. http://www.visitidaho.org/attraction/visitor-centers/albeni-falls-dam-visitor-center/ It is kind of a quiet unknown place compared to other dams in the area, but it is right on 2, and was a pretty spot.

ApatheticNoMore
8-18-12, 8:00pm
Really prefer to take the train for that route (Portland to Spokane to Glacier) but it's true you won't see as much on it as it traverse that area partially in darkness. I do recall seeing much of dry but still beautiful eastern Washington though.

gail_d
8-18-12, 10:27pm
Try this book for some ideas:

Road Trip USA (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Trip-USA-Cross-Country-Adventures/dp/1598809253/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345343051&sr=8-1&keywords=road+trips+usa)

gail_d
8-18-12, 10:29pm
Has information on his web site as well--previous link is to his book:

Road Trip USA (http://www.roadtripusa.com/)

Bill
8-20-12, 10:55am
If your driving Hwy 2 through Minnesota be sure to go through Itasca State Park (headwaters of the Mississippi River) and then drive hwy 2 to Duluth, MN. From there I would recommend driving Hwy 61 along the northshore of Lake Superior. The northshore drive is one of the most scenic drives in the US and has tons of hiking possibilities.

ETA. There are also 100s of miles of paved bike trails throughout MN.

Spartana
8-20-12, 4:20pm
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I plan to go thru Alpena Tradd (had to look that up on the map) as I want to go to Macinaw Island for sure. Heard it was an entirerly car-free island with many many places to buy fudge (fudge...yum). Not sure after that because I either need to drive thru Canada (and mail my handguns to a friend in Maine) or will have to drive south to Chicago and go along Lake Erie. Never been that way. Also, is the drive down to Madison, Wis worth it? I always hear great things about that town but it's a bit out of the way. What about the other islands (thousand Island) and the UP of Michigan. Both places I've never been but hear great things about. Also planning on taking the road thru Glacier Nat park which I have been on before but haven't really been east on Hwy 2 - or any of the northern parts of the midwest - ever.

fidgiegirl
8-20-12, 6:44pm
UP is great, we went this summer to Pictured Rocks.

The North Shore of Lake Superior is very pretty and I like the drive on US Hwy 61 through the southern part of MN.

Not sure how Lake Erie fits in?

I am not sure Madison is worth it. Pretty town but you are right - quite out of the way from where you will be, plus the freeways down there are not that scenic in my opinion.

Spartana
8-21-12, 1:29pm
Thanks Fidgie. I wasn't sure about Madision as it was pretty far out of the way and I think I'd rather stick to the more northern area. I saw pictured Rocks and would like to go there. Hoping the mosquito population is down and the fall colors are up by late Sept :-)!

Spartana
8-21-12, 1:34pm
For Christmas my husband bought me the book "The Most Scenic Road Trips In America" by Reader's Digest;
this book is fantastic with interesting road trips and things to look for.

They only have an older version on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Most-Scenic-Drives-America/dp/0895778629

Here is the one from Reader's Digest that is more updated and there is a list of the states that they feature photos on maybe that is a clue if they have something written to where you are going.

If you want to tell me what states you are going through I can look them up in the book and let you know if there is anything on that state...
http://www.rd.com/advice/travel/the-most-scenic-drives-in-america-all/

Maybe they would have this book in your library?

Thnaks for the book recommendations, The states I am going thru that I don't really know much about are North Dak., Minn. and Wis. The other states both west and east I'm familiar with. My original plan was to stay on Hwy 2 acroos north america and then head into Canada and go up to a small town I use to live in there (Holtyre, Ontario by Cocrane or Kirkland Lake) but I don't think I'll go that way now and will probably stay on Hwy 2 thru the UP, head south on the coast of Lake ? via Macanaw Island and Alpena to Toledo, Ohio and then along Lake Erie to Buffalo and after that to upstate NY and beyond. That's the tenative plan but I'm open to changes.

SiouzQ.
8-21-12, 2:33pm
Stop in Ann Arbor on your way! Your route sounds great, as I highly recommend HY 2 along the north shore of Lake Michigan. However, nothing beats the sight of the Mackinaw Bridge suddenly rising up in the distance when you are traveling north in the Lower Peninsula on I-75 ~ it looks like fantastical bridge leading to the end of the known world!
Seriously, if you do travel through Ann Arbor and need a place to crash I have an extra bedroom ~ I would love to meet you!

Spartana
8-22-12, 1:25pm
Thanks for the offer Siouz Q! It would be fun to meet some forum members even if for just a quick cup of coffee. I'll try to post here occsionally to up date my route so if anyone is in the same ara and wants to meet up, they can give me a shout. Won't have much internet access but will check in when I can.

Tussiemussies
8-22-12, 1:28pm
Hi Spartana, I will check my book tonight and see if there is anything. If so I can scan it in and email you the pages...If you want me to. :)

Spartana
8-22-12, 1:46pm
Hi Spartana, I will check my book tonight and see if there is anything. If so I can scan it in and email you the pages...If you want me to. :)

Thanks!! I'd really appreciate that. Everytime I look at a map (the old paper kind) I see all sorts of interesting places that I have never heard of and wonder if they are worth the visit. Will be off by this Sat so won't be un-line much after that.

Tussiemussies
8-22-12, 2:00pm
Thanks!! I'd really appreciate that. Everytime I look at a map (the old paper kind) I see all sorts of interesting places that I have never heard of and wonder if they are worth the visit. Will be off by this Sat so won't be un-line much after that.

Okay, I will get back to you by tomorrow and if there is good stuff I'll getto you tomorrow night...:)

Bartleby
8-22-12, 10:42pm
So you are heading east on US 2 all the way to the Mackinaw Bridge, right?

(A good way to go. I hitchhiked that route a few times back in the day...)

Which would mean you will be traveling the full length of the U.P. Fantastic …

Was traipsing about in the Tahquamenon falls area, just east of Pictured Rocks, recently after many years, and have been re-inspired by the beauty of the area.

You probably know the history. The virgin white pine forests were absolutely raped some 100 years ago, and then the land reverted to state and national forests.

It is coming back, and it is beautiful. Though one can only imagine the original splendor ….

(See the Hemingway short story The Big Two Hearted River, published in 1925, for a description of the area shortly after the devastation.)
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~DRBR/hem_river.html

I could go on and on about the UP. The eastern part is great, like Tahquamenon falls and Whitefish Point -- truly magical.
But the western part is probably even better, like the Porcupine Mountains and Keweenaw Peninsula, Brockway
And then there is everywhere in between….

Here is a good guide for the area.
http://hunts-upguide.com/

Bartleby
8-23-12, 1:50am
Here is a resource for hiking in the area

http://northcountrytrail.org/ (http://northcountrytrail.org/)

Tussiemussies
8-23-12, 7:49am
Hi Spartana, my husband took the book to work and is going to scan the information in at lunchtime and then forward to me. The was information on all three states that you were looking for. If you can private message me with your email address I will forward it then to you...:)

Spartana
8-23-12, 12:19pm
Hi Spartana, my husband took the book to work and is going to scan the information in at lunchtime and then forward to me. The was information on all three states that you were looking for. If you can private message me with your email address I will forward it then to you...:)

Thanks so much for doing this for me Tussiemussies. I really appreciate it. I sent you a pm with my e-mail address. Never done that before so hope I got it right!

Bartleby - Also thanks so much for all the info and links. I really know nothing about that part of the country although I have driven on Hwy 2 once when moving from Boston to Alaska (turned north in Minot) but just blasted thru so didn't see much. Always wanted to go back there and spend some time as I always hear such great things about the upper midwest. Really interested in northern Wisconson too - a place with wolves and cheese don't cha know :-)! Looking forward to heading out of hot Southern calif asap! Just waiting for all the little rugrats to be back in school and campsites and motels to be empty (and cheaper!) again.

Tussiemussies
8-23-12, 12:39pm
Hi Spartana, Did get your message with your email. As I write this my husband is scanning the pages in at work. There was information on all three states, which is great as not all states have a scenic drive listed. He is going to email it to me and then I am going to forward it to you...:)

Spartana
8-23-12, 1:22pm
Hi Spartana, Did get your message with your email. As I write this my husband is scanning the pages in at work. There was information on all three states, which is great as not all states have a scenic drive listed. He is going to email it to me and then I am going to forward it to you...:)

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou: