PDA

View Full Version : What Movies Are You Watching?

Pages : [1] 2

AmeliaJane
9-9-12, 9:48am
Went back and realized we have not had a general movies thread since 2011!

I had bad luck with movies for awhile but recently hit several that I liked:

Coraline: This stop-motion movie for children is fairly creepy, being based on a book by Neil Gaiman, but is really well-done. It would be a good Halloween watch if you don't want something really scary, and I liked the strong central character, who has more of a personality than you often find in animated movie heroines.

Whip It: Another movie with a strong young heroine. I was not convinced a movie about roller derby in Texas was going to do a lot for me, but in the end I liked it a lot. It was very warm-hearted, especially in the relationships with her family.

Battleship: This was not nearly as bad as the reviews made me expect--if you like human vs. aliens w. explosions, it was a perfectly respectable entry into that genre (just try to ignore the whole board game connection). It's not going to win any Oscars, but I had a good time with a bowl of popcorn on a Friday night.

What have you seen lately?

MaryHu
9-9-12, 10:17am
We watched "In Darkness" a true story about Jews in Nazi occupied Poland living in the sewer to avoid detection. They were there for 14 months. It's interesting how the sewer worker who was helping them goes from exploiting them for money to really caring about them. It also raised the question for me "Are there no conditions so bleak, horrible, hopeless, filthy and disgusting that won't cause humans to cease copulating?" Not a film for kids.

In the extras was an interview the the sole remaining survivor whose book "The Girl in the Green Sweater" was the basis for the movie. The film maker didn't know until after the film was made that any of these people was still alive. The author married a man who was saved by Oskar Schindler (sp?) of "Schindler's List" fame.

MaryHu
9-9-12, 10:19am
Also saw "Bernie" recently. What a strange and funny film. It's about the nicest guy in a small Texas town who kills the most hated woman in town and no-one wants to convict him. They had to move the trial!

iris lily
9-9-12, 5:48pm
I've been on a documentary kick.

The last film I saw in a theater was 2016: Obama's America which is a documentary about Dinesh D'souza's theory of what makes Barack Obama tick. I had read up on the book and had read excerpts from it, and I didn't think that the film presented any new information.

A couple of other documentaries, one about our local organization that does work with street dogs, another about one about female artists, and Jesus Camp, were all fairly forgettable.

Last week I watched on dvd After the Wedding, a 2006 ?Danish? film nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. It was really very good and that plus several Scandinavian films I saw months ago convinced me to start up a Bergman film fest.

Rogar
9-9-12, 6:43pm
I've been sort of in the movie doldrums, but a couple I enjoyed over the summer were The Three Stooges movie, which was just as silly and meaningless as the old series, but very good. And Geronimo: American Legend, which is an older classic western with supposedly accurate portrayal of the historic events and period detail.

Square Peg
9-9-12, 6:59pm
DH and I went and saw Hysteria this weekend. Given the saucy material, I didn't expect it to be so sweet, but it really was.

CathyA
9-9-12, 7:52pm
Last night we watched "Signs". I really like that movie, and I like being scared in that kind of way.....without gore.

ToomuchStuff
9-10-12, 12:28am
"Are there no conditions so bleak, horrible, hopeless, filthy and disgusting that won't cause humans to cease copulating?"

I think not. It is in ones DNA, and while some do struggle against it, the numbers and growing population, mixed with poor area's (where it is the entertainment), speak for themselves.

Only watched one movie this year, and have some old gift cards that still have money left on them. Coming into this year, this looked like the year of the remake with TON's of old rehashed idea's. The Avengers was entertaining, but when I was a kid, I liked comics. Considered that hotel movie about India, but didn't make it out to see it.

AmeliaJane
9-10-12, 8:43am
I liked "Signs" too! I have not cared for most of his recent movies, but M Night Shymalan did a great job with the "atmospheric scare" in his early work.

RosieTR
9-29-12, 12:48am
We saw Prometheus in the cheap theater (it's on DVD now I think). It got good reviews but darned if I could tell why. Maybe I should have watched the Alien series beforehand but it seemed just another run-of-the-mill sci-fi meets horror, without any of the creative psychological freakiness of the first movies. We also saw the Avengers which I liked more though it's pretty much on the high end of the typical hero action movie. In some cases it seems like every genre is getting very cliche, even indie films and documentaries. I would like to see Cabin in the Woods and also Seeking a Friend for the End of the World because at least they seem like a little bit of a different take on the typical movie. We'll see.

mtnlaurel
9-29-12, 6:03am
Also saw "Bernie" recently. What a strange and funny film. It's about the nicest guy in a small Texas town who kills the most hated woman in town and no-one wants to convict him. They had to move the trial!

I loved, loved, loved "Bernie"!
Old time gospel songs are my favorite, so I was nutty about the music.
Matthew McConaughy's character was a hoot.
I thought it was a pretty good portrayal of small town South (a little amp'd up, but spot on in a lot of places).

I went to go see "The Master" last weekend.
Did not like it. When I left there I felt duped, if that makes any sense.
Strong actors, beautiful cinematography and I am a sucker for period dramas -- but the story just wasn't there for me.

A beautiful movie I streamed on Netflix recently... "Korkoro"
It's about a Gypsy family in Nazi occupied France.
It was so moving. Touched on the meaning of family, place, space, connection to nature, the acceptance of mental illness.

goldensmom
9-29-12, 6:48am
I liked "Signs" too! I have not cared for most of his recent movies, but M Night Shymalan did a great job with the "atmospheric scare" in his early work.

M. Night Shymalan……‘Signs’ scared me even when I anticipated what was coming. I liked it but I liked ‘The Village’ much more.

AmeliaJane
12-1-12, 9:54am
I was sorry when the Shymalan movies got to be so ridiculous as not to be fun anymore. I loved the way his movies could be terrifyingly creepy without ever showing gore or monsters. Also, thanks for reminding me about Bernie. I read a follow-up by the journalist whose original report the movie was based on, and I have been wanting to check it out since.

I just watched a couple of quite charming movies lately. "Paul" is a science fiction movie which posits that one of the aliens from the Roswell NM crash survived and is now trying to get home after 50 years exposure to American culture. It's very lightweight-I originally picked it up because the two friends who find him and help him in his quest are played by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, who were the leads in "Shaun of the Dead," my very favorite zombie movie. There's quite a bit of raw language, but if you don't mind that and like sci fi, it's a lot of fun.

I also watched "Pirate Radio" which came out a few years ago. It's set off the coast of Britain in the 1960s, when British rock was big but the government radio stations wouldn't play it--so independent radio stations set up on ships anchored off the coast. The movie is about one of the stations and the deejays who work there. There's not a whole lot of plot, but the cast is top-notch and it's fun to see them sitting around being charming and funny and British, and of course the soundtrack is great.

I've had some bad luck with movies lately so I was pleased to find two in a row that I could recommend.

KayLR
12-1-12, 10:49am
Finally, after reading all the recommendations on the Christmas movie thread, we watched "Love, Actually," the other night. It was ok. Sweet.

My SO really enjoys the Hallmark Christmas movies (he really is very sweet and innocent for someone who spent 23 yr in the Air Force), and although I roll my eyes a bit, I've come around some. I told him I think they're a bit "predictable," to which he countered, "Well, haven't you ever just watched something for the simple enjoyment of it?" And I guess he had a point. But even he has a limit on them. We watched several in a row last weekend, then switched to some medical drama for some grit.

Today we are going to the library to pick up Season 1 of Downton Abbey which he has never seen. Had been on the waiting list---AND it's the UK version!

Jilly
12-1-12, 12:17pm
I borrowed Paul last week. I borrowed it from the library because it had Simon Pegg and Blythe Danner in it. I really liked it and will probably borrow it again.

Last night I watched The Raven, a mystery in which Edgar Allen Poe is a character involved in...ooops, almost too much information. It is a decent mystery, stars John Cusack, and I loved how the film used mysterious factors of his life as plot devices. Very clever and entertaining.

I borrowed Midnight in Paris because Adrien Brody was in it, but it was also very much fun to watch. Lots of famous actors performing small parts.

I watched an episode of Fringe at my daughter's house and am now watching season two. There are so many references and constructs that I do not actually get, not having seen the first season, but I think I am liking it.

AmeliaJane
12-1-12, 2:48pm
Yes, Fringe is extremely serialized and they make a lot of references to previous plot points. However, the first season is probably least serialized and least-referred to later--they really got going with the major plotlines in season 2. I enjoy it quite a bit.

I have The Raven somewhere in my long DVD queue and am now looking forward to it!

iris lily
12-1-12, 3:39pm
I've been on a roll to see films in theaters and have seen recently:

Lincoln

Life of Pi -- fabulously beautiful, and I loved the story. Another great film by Ang Lee.

Anna Karenina --lush and pretty, interesting twist in using theater as setting, but in the end not a great version of AK. This is a Joe Wright film who made Atonement and Pride and Prejudice also starring Keira Knightly

Silver Linings Playbook -romantic comedy (the comedy is rather black)--this is really good!

Others coming up that I will probably see in the theater:

Circus Soleil

New Die Hard film with Bruce Willis

new film with Alan Cummings (he plays Eli on tv's The Good Wife)

The one about FDR that stars Bill Murray

Jilly
12-1-12, 4:12pm
AmeliaJane, I would be surprised if you did not like it. A lot. I am planning on watching it again before it goes back on Wednesday.

I tried to do research on Fringe, but finally gave up. It is too complicated. :) I am just pretending that the parts I do not understand are in a foreign language.

Florence
12-1-12, 6:42pm
I am watching The 1900 House on a Netflix DVD and thoroughly enjoying it!

AmeliaJane
12-1-12, 7:13pm
Thanks for the reminder about Anna Karenina! I probably will not make it to the theater, but that reminds me to put it in the Netflix queue. I am going to see *blush* the final Twilight movie next week with my sister. She really likes them, I kind of like them, and her husband rolls his eyes at them. So we have made something of a tradition of watching them together, although not always in the theater.

iris lily
12-1-12, 7:32pm
Thanks for the reminder about Anna Karenina! I probably will not make it to the theater, but that reminds me to put it in the Netflix queue. I am going to see *blush* the final Twilight movie next week with my sister. She really likes them, I kind of like them, and her husband rolls his eyes at them. So we have made something of a tradition of watching them together, although not always in the theater.

Oh that's ok, I myself watched the first Twilight film knowing full well about it, but still, I wanted to see it. I like the angst of Bella. And I have a weird obsession with KSTew, I love her as a fashionista.

Cypress
12-4-12, 11:21am
If you do not like to watch a film with subtitles, skip this post. I am studying Italian language and enjoying some outstanding films to enhance learning.

Cinema Paradiso. This film is critically considered fantastico and I fully agree. The story is set in 1947 post war Sicilian village. The story follows the main character, Salvatore Di Vita (Toto) from a scrappy, gutsy kid through middle age. The cinema was a focal point of the community pre television. Everything and anything happened in the theater. The story is remarkably well acted, very funny at moments and realistic.

Pinocchio - This film is the Roberto Benigni production. While it is truer to the original novel, it's problematic with an adult playing the role of Pinocchio. In the books, he is more of an imp and a controversial, complex character to say the least. I loved the book but it's hard to accept the portrayal. The actor almost pulls it off.

A Very Long Engagement - French - This film stars Audrey Tauto (?) based on the novel of the same name. If anyone read and saw Birdsong, it's in that caliber of production. Of course any story set in WWI will be heartbreaking. This story tells of two young lovers separated by the war and her loyalty to the relationship.

Weston
12-4-12, 11:37am
Since becoming empty-nesters a couple of years ago, my wife and I have been going to a lot more movies in theaters. She and I both strongly agree that this has been the best year for movies that we can remember in a long long time. Among the ones we've seen and enjoyed this year

Beasts of the Southern Wild
The Intouchables.
The Master
Argo
Skyfall
Flight
Moonrise Kingdom

Really looking forward to seeing Lincoln, Zero Dark 30 and Le Miz

Weston
12-4-12, 11:51am
Strong actors, beautiful cinematography and I am a sucker for period dramas -- but the story just wasn't there for me.

I liked it. Just not as much as I expected to after reading so many glowing reviews from the critics.

Do have to say that (other than in Walk the Line) I could never stand Juaquin Phoenix as an actor. Almost didn't go to The Master because I generally detest his performances. He was truly extraordinary in this movie. Never thought I would see the day that an actor would "steal" a film from Philip Seymour Hoffman but I could not take my eyes off of Phoenix during the entire movie.

Spartana
12-4-12, 7:26pm
Skyfall. Rented Serenity (sci-fi) and several others sci-fi ones. Trying to catch up on some old ones I saw in theatres but couldn't really hear very well (lost most of my hearing in my late 20's) even with hearing aids. So have to wait until they come out on DVD so I can use close captioning. Want to see Life of Pi. Waiting with bated breath for "World War Z". Brad Pitt. Zombies. What more could a girl ask for :-)!

Lainey
12-4-12, 8:37pm
Silver Linings Playbook. Fantastic - Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are great, more than hold their own against DeNiro.

iris lily
12-4-12, 8:46pm
Silver Linings Playbook. Fantastic - Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are great, more than hold their own against DeNiro. AGreed, I really liked it.

puglogic
12-4-12, 10:19pm
We just bought (yes, bought) Cabin in the Woods. We're looking forward to a quiet few weeks so we can go out and see The Hobbit, Skyfall, Lincoln, and some others.

Rogar
12-5-12, 10:50am
I've been on a streak of both recent and classic westerns and really liked "Blackthorn" starring Sam Shepard which is recent. And the classic "Geronimo: An American Legend" with Robert Duvall and a young Matt Damon. I'm looking forward to getting to the theater for a couple of the current movies. It does look like a good movie season.

Spartana
12-5-12, 3:20pm
We just bought (yes, bought) Cabin in the Woods. We're looking forward to a quiet few weeks so we can go out and see The Hobbit, Skyfall, Lincoln, and some others.

I just watched Cabin in the Woods last night. Very interesting and unusual.

peggy
12-5-12, 9:43pm
I am looking forward to Life of Pi. Read the book and it was..interesting. Also want to see the Hobbit. I heard they are making 3 films from that one small book. They must plan on including every word, gesture, and sigh! But I am such a Tolkien fan, if it is as good as the rings trilogy, I'll be a happy camper.:)

Alan
12-5-12, 10:00pm
Also want to see the Hobbit. I heard they are making 3 films from that one small book. They must plan on including every word, gesture, and sigh! But I am such a Tolkien fan, if it is as good as the rings trilogy, I'll be a happy camper.:)Well, Bilbo was only 50 when he returned from his adventures and was 111 when he gave the ring to Frodo and moved to Rivendell.

Lots of time in between for a character study of the 'Mad Baggins'.

peggy
12-6-12, 8:52am
Well, Bilbo was only 50 when he returned from his adventures and was 111 when he gave the ring to Frodo and moved to Rivendell.

Lots of time in between for a character study of the 'Mad Baggins'.

This is true.

Spartana
12-6-12, 1:20pm
I am looking forward to Life of Pi. Read the book and it was..interesting. Also want to see the Hobbit. I heard they are making 3 films from that one small book. They must plan on including every word, gesture, and sigh! But I am such a Tolkien fan, if it is as good as the rings trilogy, I'll be a happy camper.:)

Me too!! Me too!! I have heard though that, because of the the way the Hobbit was filmed with alot of rolling motion, that people are actually getting queasy and nauseous when watching it. Sort of seasick I guess. Many had to leave the Theatre so as not to vomit. Maybe it'll be like the Exorcist in reverse - the audience getting sick instead of the chararter. If the audience's heads start spinning around and grinning (spewing popcorn and Good and Plentys) at me I'm outta there :-)!!

rodeosweetheart
12-7-12, 8:53am
Went to see Sessions 2 weeks ago, with Helen Hunt--she was great, and The Last Quartet or A Last quartet--with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Christopher Walken. They were both interesting, although both seemed kind of Hollywoodized for a pair of supposedly Indie films.

Watched Charlie Wilson's war on netflix last night.

treehugger
12-7-12, 11:14am

Did you notice the greyhounds in that movie? :) I rented it because of them, but I enjoyed the movie for its own sake, too. Interesting, if dated, story.

Kara

Tiam
12-8-12, 1:02am
Me too!! Me too!! I have heard though that, because of the the way the Hobbit was filmed with alot of rolling motion, that people are actually getting queasy and nauseous when watching it. Sort of seasick I guess. Many had to leave the Theatre so as not to vomit. Maybe it'll be like the Exorcist in reverse - the audience getting sick instead of the chararter. If the audience's heads start spinning around and grinning (spewing popcorn and Good and Plentys) at me I'm outta there :-)!!

I've heard the Hobbit is to Tolkien is as the Phantom menance was to Star Wars. I believe it. This book was not meant to be a bloated, and overblown

rodeosweetheart
12-9-12, 3:27pm
I did notice them, Kara. Weren't they in the party scene with the Julia Roberts character? Very elegant.

treehugger
12-10-12, 11:45am
I did notice them, Kara. Weren't they in the party scene with the Julia Roberts character? Very elegant.

Yes, that's right. One or two other tiny glimpses of them, too. They do look elegant, until you live with them and see how goofy they actually are at home, sleeping on their backs with their legs in the air and their tongues hanging out. :)

Back on the topic of movies I have watched lately:

Enjoyed The Debt recently. Had a few plot problems, but nothing insurmountable, and it was well acted and well paced.

Saw First Position, a dance documentary (I am a sucker for dance movies) that I was unexpectedly moved by. I am not a very sentimental person, and am usually annoyed by "mushy" stuff in movies, but the story of the orphan girl adopted from war-torn Sierra Leone who dreams of becoming a ballerina, made all the more complicated not only by the prejudice against black dancers in the professional world, but also by her vitiligo, really got to me.

Kara

razz
12-10-12, 5:59pm
Have to confess to my amazement that I have fallen in love with Turner Classic Movie site. Our aerial failed and the service calls are getting pricey so we finally signed on for satellite TV. I love the music as well.
Old classic movies have the same, if not greater, intensity without all the graphic violence and sex.

iris lily
12-10-12, 10:11pm
Kara, I had to put that ballet documentary on my Netflix list! I watch most all ballet films (though not straight performance films, necessarily.)

Did you watch Bun-heads on TV? I'm waiting for this to come out on DVD along with that other dance summer series, can't remember the name of it.

Did you see Mao's Last Dancer?

AmeliaJane
12-11-12, 8:59am
I did go see the sparkly vampire movie (Breaking Dawn Part 2). As sparkly vampire movies go, it was not bad. They really did not need five movies to get those books on film, though.

I also recently saw Whiteout (murder mystery set in Antarctica) and It's Complicated (woman played by Meryl Streep reconnects with her ex at the same time she finally meets someone new). Both were pleasant diversions. I enjoyed having them on in the background while I was knitting.

treehugger
12-11-12, 11:07am
Kara, I had to put that ballet documentary on my Netflix list! I watch most all ballet films (though not straight performance films, necessarily.)

Did you watch Bun-heads on TV? I'm waiting for this to come out on DVD along with that other dance summer series, can't remember the name of it.

Did you see Mao's Last Dancer?

Ah, good, another sucker for dance films. :) I saw a few episodes of Bunheads online, but I detest watching things on my computer, so I am now waiting for it to come to me via Netflix. I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan, plus, the ballet thing, so there is no way I won't watch at least the first season of Bunheads, even if it turns out not to be good. I already have Mao's Last Dancer in my queue, but haven't seen it yet. Ditto, Dancing Without Borders.

Kara

lucas
12-11-12, 12:24pm
I loved Life of Pi! Another really beautiful film from Ang Lee... not very convinced by the spiritual arguments underpinning much of it, but it was great fun and also thought-provoking... Also an Argentine movie called Elefante Blanco, which was also great, about a group of priests working in a Buenos Aires slum... the lead actor Ricardo Darin is a favorite of mine...

Gardenarian
12-12-12, 4:59pm
Not a movie per se, but I got the DVDs of "Firefly" (TV series) from the library (thanks for the tip, SLF!) and am enjoying it very much. That theme song is just stuck in my head.

Spartana
12-12-12, 7:11pm
Watched a DVD of "The Road" last night. Had read the book (great!!) and also saw the movie when it came out in the theatre but couldn't really hear it. So was able to use closed captioning this time and it made more sense. Still haven't figured out exactly "what" caused the world to go bad - didn't say in the bvook. Anyone know?

Lainey
12-12-12, 8:48pm
If I recall correctly, the beginning of "The Road" refers to some kind of explosion which I took to mean nuclear. But you're right, I don't think it's really specified.

I liked the movie too because it was so thought-provoking, but didn't you feel kind of horrified at the same time? It's pretty bleak ..

iris lily
12-12-12, 8:48pm
Ah, good, another sucker for dance films. :) I saw a few episodes of Bunheads online, but I detest watching things on my computer, so I am now waiting for it to come to me via Netflix. I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan, plus, the ballet thing, so there is no way I won't watch at least the first season of Bunheads, even if it turns out not to be good. I already have Mao's Last Dancer in my queue, but haven't seen it yet. Ditto, Dancing Without Borders.

Kara

Yes I saw Dancing without Borders within the same time frame as the Mao's Dancer film. Bunheads has an obscenely high rating on Netflix!

iris lily
12-12-12, 8:52pm
I loved, loved, loved "Bernie"!
Old time gospel songs are my favorite, so I was nutty about the music.
Matthew McConaughy's character was a hoot.
I thought it was a pretty good portrayal of small town South (a little amp'd up, but spot on in a lot of places).

A beautiful movie I streamed on Netflix recently... "Korkoro"
It's about a Gypsy family in Nazi occupied France.
It was so moving. Touched on the meaning of family, place, space, connection to nature, the acceptance of mental illness.

Bernie is getting widespread critical attention, so I put it on my list to see.

After having shunned the theaters for some months, I;m now ready to see films. I've got my list in my hand but where the H*ll are they!!!??? Nothing is out right now that I want to see.

JaneV2.0
12-12-12, 8:55pm
I'm looking forward to Men in Black 3.

iris lily
12-12-12, 8:55pm
...A Very Long Engagement - French - This film stars Audrey Tauto (?) based on the novel of the same name. If anyone read and saw Birdsong, it's in that caliber of production. Of course any story set in WWI will be heartbreaking. This story tells of two young lovers separated by the war and her loyalty to the relationship.

This is one fo the critically acclaimed films that I can't see. I tried it and just could not stomach another WWI film. Times were brutal then, Well, all war is brutal, but that one THe Big War was pretty awful especially for the Europeans.

iris lily
12-12-12, 8:57pm

Now, that is interesting. You who spent so much time on boats and ships get sick at these images.

I hear about all of these films shot with single cameras that shake, and they just don't bother me. Yet--I get seasick (on big ships that are enclosed.) Odd.

iris lily
12-12-12, 8:59pm
Went to see Sessions 2 weeks ago, with Helen Hunt--she was great, and The Last Quartet or A Last quartet--with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Christopher Walken. They were both interesting, although both seemed kind of Hollywoodized for a pair of supposedly Indie films.

The Charlie Wilson film was not great, maybe "good." It was nominated for an Academy award, if I remember correctly. Fairly blah it was, interesting bit of history and that's about it. Phillip S Hoffman great as usual.

iris lily
12-12-12, 9:01pm
I loved Life of Pi! Another really beautiful film from Ang Lee... not very convinced by the spiritual arguments underpinning much of it,....

What do you think were the spiritual arguements presented? I didn't see it on that level. Gads, it was beautiful. I MIGHT go back to see it again.

Zoe Girl
12-12-12, 11:19pm
BOND!!! don't know if anyone else said that. Okay I pose myself as this intellectual simple liver but really I swoon over the Daniel Craig Bond and many super action, testosterone laden blood fests.

I also saw Brave in the theatre and want to see Bernie but it will be on NetFlix since I missed it in theatres

Rogar
12-13-12, 10:19am
I just Netflixed "Moonrise Kingdom". It's is the story of two 12 year old outcasts from their peer groups who fall in love and run away from their 1960's small town homes. It is quirky and a little bit of dark humor. I loved it and laughed aloud many times. Seems like the sort of movie a person will either love or hate. It has won a number of non-mainstream awards.

Weston
12-13-12, 11:00am
I just Netflixed "Moonrise Kingdom". It's is the story of two 12 year old outcasts from their peer groups who fall in love and run away from their 1960's small town homes. It is quirky and a little bit of dark humor. I loved it and laughed aloud many times. Seems like the sort of movie a person will either love or hate. It has won a number of non-mainstream awards.

When I suggested this movie to my wife, I forewarned her "It's a Wes Anderson movie. You've got to be willing to embrace the weirdness" She and I both loved it.

cattledog
12-13-12, 11:40am

I've heard such good reviews about Moonrise Kingdom that I think I'll have to give it a try. I'm kind of lukewarm about Wes Anderson. I didn't care for The Royal Tenenbaums, couldn't get into Darjeeling Limited, but *loved* Rushmore.

cattledog
12-13-12, 11:43am
BOND!!! don't know if anyone else said that. Okay I pose myself as this intellectual simple liver but really I swoon over the Daniel Craig Bond and many super action, testosterone laden blood fests.

I love the blood fests too. :) I think DH and I will make a rare trip to the theater for Skyfall. I just watched The Bourne Legacy. I liked it, but not as well as the other ones (which I thought were fanastic).

Spartana
12-13-12, 1:58pm
Now, that is interesting. You who spent so much time on boats and ships get sick at these images.

I hear about all of these films shot with single cameras that shake, and they just don't bother me. Yet--I get seasick (on big ships that are enclosed.) Odd.

Oh I didn't get sick - and probably won't but haven't seen it yet - but will be worried about all those nausous people in the audience stuffed full of popcorn seated next too me :-)!

Zoe Girl - I also LOVE Daniel Craig as Bond (although I am not a Bond movie fan in general). Didn't think I would but I find him ...yummy :-)! I like violent movies too (Bond movies are oh so tame IMHO), sci-fi, war, horror. Like anything quirky too - Tim Burton et al kind of stuff.

Spartana
12-13-12, 2:15pm
If I recall correctly, the beginning of "The Road" refers to some kind of explosion which I took to mean nuclear. But you're right, I don't think it's really specified.

I liked the movie too because it was so thought-provoking, but didn't you feel kind of horrified at the same time? It's pretty bleak ..

I also thought it must be a nuclear attack that caused it since it looked like whatever had happened, had happened fairly long before hand (months? years?) and it lead to pretty much the end of everything - no plants, crops, etc... Plus that always black sky. I also didn't find any horror in it - but bleak and very very sad.

The Storyteller
12-14-12, 12:07pm
I also thought it must be a nuclear attack that caused it since it looked like whatever had happened, had happened fairly long before hand (months? years?) and it lead to pretty much the end of everything - no plants, crops, etc... Plus that always black sky. I also didn't find any horror in it - but bleak and very very sad.

Yeah, I never took it as that. McCarthy purposely left it open, so there is no cause. It is whatever you want it to be. Frankly, it could have been any number of things. I haven't seen the movie, so maybe it has a different take.

I found the ending somewhat hopeful, in a bleak way. Life goes on. There are decent people in the world.

Spartana
12-14-12, 5:22pm
I also thought comet or asteroid strike too because of the smoking cities and constant grey weather conditions. But then it was set in winter (or was it? climate change?). Yes the ending in the movie was sort of hopeful but left you wondering - who were those people? and why did they really want to take in the boy? I read the book years ago when it came out and need a refresher to compare it to the movie. Loved the stark visuals of the movie though. Lainey's discription of "bleak" is spot on.

AmeliaJane
12-31-12, 1:20pm
With the end of the year, I've been catching up on some movies. Finally saw "Pitch Perfect," which I loved although I thought it did not need the minor amount of "gross" humor it included. "Men in Black 3" was not nearly as bad as I expected given the reviews--it was a fun way to spend an evening and I thought it was much better than the second installment. Rewatched Brave which I enjoyed once again although I continued to wish Pixar had not decided that their first female lead would be, yet again, a princess. With all the creativity there, they couldn't have thought up something more original? Still, as princesses go I liked Merida a lot. On the less enthusiastic side, I watched the fairly recent British TV production of Mansfield Park, having just read the book. I would not recommend that at all. And I am halfway through "Prometheus" and not all that interested in finishing it. So far, the only person involved (including the writers) with any likeability, intelligence and common sense appears to be the cyborg and I hope the aliens eat them all.

iris lily
12-31-12, 2:37pm
... On the less enthusiastic side, I watched the fairly recent British TV production of Mansfield Park, having just read the book. I would not recommend that at all. ...

That production DID get bad reviews. I seem to remember skipping it due to reviews. I once would watch any production of Austen's major novels until I learned better.

I learned with the Sally Hawkins production of Persuasion that there are completely awful versions of beloved English novels and so I no longer go into them blindly. I am SO annoyed at how that vision of Hawkins as the heroine now resides in my head.

I will watch any production of Madame Bovary and Anna Karenina. Joe Wright's latest version of Anna Karenina with Keira Knightly is beautiful though a little weird with the thing set on a stage.

leslieann
1-1-13, 9:31am
I just saw 25th Hour. Holy cow. Good movie: also very interesting reflection about NY by New Yorkers just after 911.....and to see how much has changed in some sort of general cultural way since then.

Also saw a weird one called We Don't Live Here Anymore: the contrast between them was striking. The Spike Lee movie was subtly devastating. The other one: well, the story was a devastating story but something about it tried too hard to make sure you KNEW you were supposed to feel the devastation. I don't know much about film but even I could tell that the music was over the top.

frugal-one
2-14-13, 5:55pm
Just saw an enjoyable movie... no sex, violence, or foul language and totally enjoyable..... The Magic of Belle Isle.

catherine
2-14-13, 6:12pm
In preparation for Oscar night, I've seen:

--Lincoln
--Les Miserables
--Argo
--Silver Linings Playbook

I'll probably stream The Master from Netflix before Sunday night.

I have to say, all the ones I've seen were really good, in completely different ways.

iris lily
2-14-13, 11:31pm
In preparation for Oscar night, I've seen:

--Lincoln
--Les Miserables
--Argo
--Silver Linings Playbook

I'll probably stream The Master from Netflix before Sunday night.

I have to say, all the ones I've seen were really good, in completely different ways.

While I'll be avoiding the bloated ego fest known as the Academy Awards show, I've seen:

Zero Dark Thirty
Silver Linings Playbook
Life of Pi
Lincoln
The Impossible
Beasts of the Southern Wild
DJango Unchained

Bernie (Jack Black nominated for a Golden Globe award)

and I had to scurry around from November through December to see these since a majority were released in the last quarter.

My favorite of the bunch was Life of Pi. I'm surprised that Beasts of the Southern Wild didn't completely enchant me because that is the kind of film I usually like: child world, unique setting.

I will be watching sometime in the upcoming months:

The Quartet with Maggie Smith
The Sessions
L;'Amour
Argo
I might or might not see The Master

I've decided not to see Les Mis

The Storyteller
2-15-13, 10:46am
I enjoy award season, more every year as I become more aware of and watch the various award shows. Especially when my favorite films are doing so well. I loved how Lincoln started out as the odds on favorite, because it was "the kind of film Hollywood loves", and how the Hollywood Foreign Press was dissed by the the MSM for giving best pic to Argo. Then award after award goes to Argo over the season, including the SAG, BAFTA, and Directors Guild... where Afleck won best director, ironic in that he was left off the Oscar noms for the same category. I would love to see it win Best Picture at the Oscars.

Argo, the film that directed itself.

I have been surprised at how well Django Unchained has been doing. I enjoyed it, but didn't expect it to pic up as many nominations and awards as it has. Also surprised at how relatively poorly Lincoln has been doing (considering the hype and numbers of nominations it has had). The only consistent win is Daniel Day-Lewis for best actor.

As of this morning, Intrade (http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/?eventId=91974) has Argo at 83% chance of taking best picture, and Lincoln 12.1%. I do think it is the better film, but not that much better than Lincoln.

AmeliaJane
2-15-13, 2:32pm
I saw Skyfall in the theater (enjoyed Daniel Craig's acting, the "spy thriller" feel vs. the "over-the-top action movie" direction the franchise had developed, and several charming references to the older movies including the return of one character I have always really liked). Les Miserables I did not like quite as much as I had anticipated. It had been 20 years since I saw the stage production, and I had forgotten that it is entirely sung through like an opera. Enjoyed many of the characters, was completely emotionally swept up by the ending but I admit by the time we made it to the fifth big operatic death scene I was getting a little bored with the whole thing. I had also forgotten there is a good 45 minutes of musical left after the big uprising scene and I did feel that a lot of the last third of the movie really sagged until we got to the finale. I also agreed with the reviewers that the director's reliance on close-ups got to be a little much although I don't think it would bother me as much watching it on TV. I will say that Anne Hathaway really impressed me in that she managed to sing, cry, act and die onscreen simultaneously, and I'm not being sarcastic about that. I also saw Batman: The Dark Knight Rises on DVD and it was OK. I liked the way they wrapped up the characters, but Batman is Batmanning around Gotham for a surprisingly small fraction of that movie and given how little we see of Alfred, I was wondering if Michael Caine was having health problems they had to shoot around. Anne Hathaway made a good Catwoman, though.

Rogar
2-16-13, 4:15pm
One of my recent Netflix movies I really liked was The Music Never Stopped. It's based on the true Oliver Sacks account of a young man who had a large brain tumor that prevented him from forming any new memories past about 1970. When working with a music therapist they discover that playing old 60's music brings back his memories of that time period. Oliver Sacks story is called The Oldest Hippie and is also worth a read. It was touching and well done. Not quite true to the real story, but close.

Jilly
2-16-13, 7:28pm
I recently discovered the Big Bang Theory, and have watched seasons 1 and 4; the others on are my reservation list at the library. I have been watching long enough to have seen only two repeats, so there was lots of new episodes for me to enjoy. So much fun.

I like Vincent D'Onofrio and whenever I see something with him listed I borrow it. I hesitate to mention this film because whilst his performance is brilliant, the subject is grim, depressing, scary and very graphic. I watched it without any knowledge of the content and I am thinking that I might try to do a bit of Googling when before I add something to my library account, although, that said, this is a film that I will watch again before I return it next week.

When I was at work there on Wednesday, there was a display for Polish History Month, and I brought home the PBS documentary Time of Fear. Excellent.

I am running out of zombii films to borrow, though. So sad.

iris lily
2-16-13, 8:15pm
I am running out of zombii films to borrow, though. So sad.

zombii? hehe

There is a new one in the theaters, it looked funny in the trailers. Something about zombiis coming back to life back on love. GOt bad reviews so I will skip it but watch for it.

Rosemary
2-16-13, 9:37pm
We watched The Gods Must be Crazy last weekend. Thought DD would enjoy it. DH and I had forgotten that it's not just funny, it's hilarious.

Jilly
2-16-13, 11:31pm
zombii? hehe

There is a new one in the theaters, it looked funny in the trailers. Something about zombiis coming back to life back on love. GOt bad reviews so I will skip it but watch for it.

Me, too; probably will borrow the DVD when it get to the library.

ToomuchStuff
2-17-13, 3:39am
I like Vincent D'Onofrio and whenever I see something with him listed I borrow it. I hesitate to mention this film because whilst his performance is brilliant, the subject is grim, depressing, scary and very graphic. I watched it without any knowledge of the content and I am thinking that I might try to do a bit of Googling when before I add something to my library account, although, that said, this is a film that I will watch again before I return it next week.

You did fail to mention its name!

mtnlaurel
2-17-13, 8:04am
I went to go see Hyde Park on the Hudson recently and it did NOTHING for me. Except maybe make me want to smoke a cigarette and I haven't had one in over 11 years!
Historical dramas and period movies are my favorite so I loved clothes and sets, but beyond that I just didn't connect with anything.
Did make me crave a time when everyone didn't have to know everything about everyone and there was a sense of privacy & honor.

We watched Lock, Stock & 2 Barrels by Guy Richie at home last night from late 90s.
A little more violent than I like, but the storyline was crazy.

Loved, loved, loved Silver Lining Playbook
I love any movie though where the city/town plays its' own role in a film.
And the final dance scene is a scream - it was like a physical manifestation of the inside of the dancers' 2 minds.....
I have talked to some that felt duped that it ended up being Happily Ever After -Romantic Comedy-ish - that didn't even really register with me at the time.
I thought it was a real commentary on modern day mental health...... and what constitutes as crazy these days.

iris lily
2-17-13, 8:52am
I went to go see Hyde Park on the Hudson recently and it did NOTHING for me. Except maybe make me want to smoke a cigarette and I haven't had one in over 11 years!
Historical dramas and period movies are my favorite so I loved clothes and sets, but beyond that I just didn't connect with anything.
Did make me crave a time when everyone didn't have to know everything about everyone and there was a sense of privacy & honor.

I liked it well enough but agree it wasn't outstanding. I do love Bill Murray. Since I barely got my Bill Murray fix in Moonrise Kingdom ( he made only brief appearances) I was glad to see him in Hyde Park on the Hudson.

iris lily
2-17-13, 8:56am
Loved, loved, loved Silver Lining Playbook
I have talked to some that felt duped that it ended up being Happily Ever After -Romantic Comedy-ish - that didn't even really register with me at the time.
I thought it was a real commentary on modern day mental health...... and what constitutes as crazy these days.

That's an interesting comment. It started out as a great black comedy but it did get a light and Rom-Comish at the end. Still, a good film.

Jilly
2-17-13, 9:04am
You did fail to mention its name!

Ooops, it, for those with strong hearts, is Chained. It is a Jennifer Lynch film, which should inform what kind of movie it is.

I went to go see Hyde Park on the Hudson recently and it did NOTHING for me. Except maybe make me want to smoke a cigarette and I haven't had one in over 11 years!...

I have had the same response to filmed smoking. I miss smoking, every part of it. If I did not have asthma and heart problems and if smoking was not such a killer, I would find a job where I could have a lit cigarette in each hand, all the time. I swear.

ToomuchStuff
2-17-13, 9:33am
Ooops, it, for those with strong hearts, is Chained. It is a Jennifer Lynch film, which should inform what kind of movie it is.

Thanks, IMDB'd it as I have no idea who Jennifer Lynch is. TCTRL to be interested in it.

AmeliaJane
2-23-13, 11:19pm
Recent movies: "Hotel Transylvania" (animated movie about a hotel for monsters). Cute enough, don't ever need to see it again.

"Cabin in the Woods": not nearly as scary as I was expecting it to be (very gory though). I watched it with a friend who also likes Joss Whedon movies and scary movies, and we sort of looked at each other at the end and went "Huh." Honestly, everyone said not to learn anything about the movie before you watched it--I actually think I would have enjoyed it more if I had, and it wouldn't have ruined anything I didn't guess in the first twenty minutes or so. I was listening to a review that said it was a movie meant to be watched in a theater with lots of other people, and there probably is something to that.

"Rock of Ages" this is the 1980s rock music musical that was turned into a movie last summer. I guess it's all about the expectations...I had high expectations for Cabin in the Woods and was disappointed. I had zip expectations of this movie--it got terrible reviews--and it was actually rather fun. (Full disclosure--that era of rock was my high school years). Catherine Zeta-Jones' plot line could have been dropped entirely without missing anything, but the young musician couple were very cute, and Tom Cruise's part was much more than a cameo, as the reviews had led me to believe. I'm glad I didn't pay money for a ticket, but it was a perfectly fine couch-potato evening.

Lainey
2-24-13, 9:06am
Watched "The Impossible" based on the true story of a survivor of the 2004 SE Asia tsunami.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1649419/?ref_=sr_1 imdb.com gives it about a 7.5 stars, and I'd agree with that rating.
One issue for me was that while the filming of the tsunami event was technically brilliant, it came early in the film so we didn't have quite enough time to engage with the characters so that we could care about them for the next hour or so.

Gardenarian
2-25-13, 3:19pm
Saw "Beautiful Creatures" over the week-end with dd. She enjoyed it - very silly paranormal teen romance.
Jeremy Irons and Emma Thompson have never appeared to worse advantage - what were they thinking?
The teen actors were actually pretty good.

iris lily
2-28-13, 1:28am
I've put down dvds and am reading more books, I'm finally rather burned out of films after a couple of years of watching a LOT of film. I'm savoring the idea of binge watching Season 3 of Justified (best drama on TV) as well as Season 4 of Nurse Jackie when I feel like more visual stuff. I smushed a lot of the Oscar nominated films into a few weeks and that burned me out and frankly, they weren't so great. Life of Pi was the only one that transcended the usual for me.

Lainey
2-28-13, 9:10pm
... Season 3 of Justified (best drama on TV)

Totally agree. My entire department at work is hooked on it and it's the topic of every Wednesday's lunchtime.

iris lily
2-28-13, 9:47pm
"Rock of Ages" this is the 1980s rock music musical that was turned into a movie last summer. I guess it's all about the expectations...I had high expectations for Cabin in the Woods and was disappointed. I had zip expectations of this movie--it got terrible reviews--and it was actually rather fun. (Full disclosure--that era of rock was my high school years). Catherine Zeta-Jones' plot line could have been dropped entirely without missing anything, but the young musician couple were very cute, and Tom Cruise's part was much more than a cameo, as the reviews had led me to believe. I'm glad I didn't pay money for a ticket, but it was a perfectly fine couch-potato evening.

Rock of Ages was silly and as such was great summer fun. Tom Cruise was really delicious in that role.

CathyA
3-2-13, 5:12pm
Iris Lily..........Didn't you mention "The Intouchables" somewhere here? It came on as a preview last night, right before "Robot and Frank", and I could have sworn that was Dustin Hoffman. I was so impressed with his French! hahaha Then I found out it wasn't him. That guy looked just like him!

AmeliaJane
3-2-13, 9:23pm
Just saw Argo now that it is out on streaming! Really, really enjoyed it. I was a little surprised it got Best Picture, since it seemed less ambitious than some of the others nominated, but it was a very well-done thriller and definitely worth my time. Highly recommended.

I also got Taken on DVD, which is a few years old. Liam Neeson plays an ex-CIA operative who has to rescue his kidnapped daughter. It was totally ridiculous, and a little too violent for my taste, but I will watch Liam Neeson doing pretty much anything. I love that man's voice...

treehugger
3-3-13, 4:12pm
Just watched Bill Cunningham, New York last night. Someone here mentioned it recently. Really enjoyed it; what a fascinating character. He is the real deal with no pretensions. Lives the life he wants, doing what he wants, how he wants. I really respect that, even if I don't want to live like him. I'm not even really interested in fashion, but wow, through Mr. Cunningham's eyes, it is very exciting and interesting. Highly recommend this movie. Saw it via Netflix streaming.

Kara

Jilly
3-3-13, 5:05pm
There were a couple of decent finds in the DVDs I brought home from the library this week The most meaningful one is White Light Black Rain, an HBO documentary on the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I watched The Full Monty last night and I really liked it. Frankenweinie, just all right, and The Words, which was amazing and will keep me thinking and pondering for a very long time. I think that watching it again in a month or two might be interesting.

I also have a couple more re-watches, Best In Show, Dr. Zhivago and funny haha.

CathyA
3-3-13, 9:29pm
We just watched The Hurt Locker. I thought it was pretty good. I wish I'd known ahead of time that its not gory. I spent alot of time covering my eyes. haha
Pretty scary to imagine being in war like that. No wonder there's so many suicides and PTSD after they come home. But good movie.

Zoe Girl
3-3-13, 10:02pm
I have been watching French films, Look at Me and My Afternoons with Margueritte. Both very very lovely films. I think I was supposed to watch Spanish ones to learn Spanish but I don't really know what I am looking at when I get to the library.

The movie My Afternoons with Margueritte was so sweet I recommended it to my mother who does not know French but the subtitles are good, it is not a super fast speaking movie so I think it is easy to read them. Gerard Depardieu plays an almost illiterate man who meet an older lady at the park where he goes to watch and count pigeons. She reads books to him and they become friends.

puglogic
3-3-13, 10:29pm
Husband and I watched Inception again last night. It's still confusing, but I find it strangely enjoyable to try to follow.

AmeliaJane
3-3-13, 11:31pm
This was an oldie but a goodie--"The Big Easy" with a very young Ellen Barkin and Dennis Quaid. He is still very handsome, but oh my, in this movie he has a lot to show off and we see quite a bit. I had seen this a few years after it came out and it has held up well, although the rhythm of filmmaking has changed over the years and it took me a little while to get used to it. Apparently they really filmed in New Orleans and it was fun to see the city of a few decades ago.

CathyA
3-9-13, 10:29pm
I watched "The Master" tonight. Well, that's 2 and 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back!
Good acting, but I just didn't like the story line. Just too weird for me.

puglogic
3-9-13, 10:45pm
I watched "The Master" tonight. Well, that's 2 and 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back!

I can't get into most Paul Thomas Anderson films. Useless (self-indulgent) scenes, strange editing, contrived scenarios, violence that doesn't advance the plot at all....I usually enjoy about ten minutes of each one.

iris lily
3-9-13, 11:03pm
I can't get into most Paul Thomas Anderson films. Useless (self-indulgent) scenes, strange editing, contrived scenarios, violence that doesn't advance the plot at all....I usually enjoy about ten minutes of each one.

yup, I had pretty much decided to avoid this one. It sounded too weird.

Rogar
3-10-13, 12:26pm

I fortunately hit eject on the DVD player about half way through, and I was even able to sit through a whole DVD of Duck Dynasty. I did not like it at all.

iris lily
3-10-13, 12:32pm
Just watched Bill Cunningham, New York last night. Someone here mentioned it recently. Really enjoyed it; what a fascinating character. He is the real deal with no pretensions. Lives the life he wants, doing what he wants, how he wants. I really respect that, even if I don't want to live like him. I'm not even really interested in fashion, but wow, through Mr. Cunningham's eyes, it is very exciting and interesting. Highly recommend this movie. Saw it via Netflix streaming.

Kara

I watched that last year. My take away from that was: wow. To have a sustained passion for 50 years--that's amazing. The same passion, day after day, month after month, year after year.

JaneV2.0
3-10-13, 3:54pm
This sounds like my kind of film--and it's free on Amazon prime! Thanks so much.

Florence
3-16-13, 10:03pm
We watched Skyfall on Netflix DVD. I can never follow the story/plot in those movies. Lots of action and explosions. The end was good.

iris lily
3-18-13, 9:34pm
I watched Incendies last night. Wow, it is heavy and very interesting. It is about a young woman in Lebanon who loses a lover and child in their war of the 1970's, and how that affects her and what she does about those losses. It's about hatred and revenge, about hate and love.

I highly recommend this. It's based on a stage play. You've got to suspend belief to swallow the plot which is centered on a series of horrific coincidences of random violence, but it's very moving. It's in English subtitles.

iris lily
3-18-13, 9:35pm
We watched Skyfall on Netflix DVD. I can never follow the story/plot in those movies. Lots of action and explosions. The end was good.

I'm like you, I can't follow action films, but I think it's mainly because I don't care enough to follow them.

iris lily
3-23-13, 10:57pm
Yes I saw Dancing without Borders within the same time frame as the Mao's Dancer film. Bunheads has an obscenely high rating on Netflix!

yes here I am quoting myself, but I mean to correct something: it is Breaktin Pointe that has a VERY high rating on Netflix. It's not out in DVD but one can stream it.

iris lily
3-23-13, 11:08pm
I watched a batch of films (or tried out some) this week. Here athey are:

Loved these:

The Sessions with John Hawkes and Helen--this is the one about a man incapacitated by polio who decides to learn about sex with a professional sexual surrogate.Very moving.

Arranged: an indy film about two young women, a Muslim and a Jew, who become friends as teacher. It's an interesting twist on diversity and tolerance since the women have much in common because both want traditional lifestyles. They get hassled for that by their work colleagues.

Mediocre:

Rust and Bone-Marian Cottilard is arresting in this film but otherwise it dragged.

Tsotsi: set in South Africa, this is about a young hoodlum who mistakenly kidnaps a baby and is humanized by caring for the infant

Didn't Like:

Tyranasaur--couldn't get past the first ten minutes. If anyone else has seen this and thinks I ought to try again, let me know.

iris lily
3-23-13, 11:13pm
I zipped through a lot of films but have been sneaking in epsodes of my new guilty pleasure, the FX tv series Sons Of Anarchy. I'm still on Season one. I hear that it goes downhill a lot after S 2.

Simplemind
3-23-13, 11:38pm
This weekend..... Anna Karenina, Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Well Digger's Daughter.

CathyA
3-24-13, 7:35am
I bought a movie I had watched a couple years ago, and re-watched it last night. Its "Moon". I thought it was really good, with an interesting plot. Anyone else ever see this one?

catherine
3-24-13, 7:53am
I watched The Dollmaker on YouTube for free the other day. It is one of my favorite movies--DEFINITELY a perfect movie for SLers. Jane Fonda was amazing in it. It is just so good on so many levels. It was a made-for-TV movie back in the 80s, based on the book by Harriet Arnow.

I highly recommend it. I think you all would like it. Here's the summary from IMDB:

Jane Fonda gives an Emmy-winning performance as Gertie Nevels, a pioneer woman and the mother of five from the Kentucky hills who is forced to uproot her children to follow her husband Clovis (Levon Helm) to Detroit when he finds work during World War II. One setback follows another and shattering tragedy strikes the family. It's all up to Gertie to find new strength, courage and determination to keep her family together and strong.

larknm
3-25-13, 11:16am
Water, a DVD fromNetflix, great.

treehugger
3-25-13, 11:31am
yes here I am quoting myself, but I mean to correct something: it is Breaktin Pointe that has a VERY high rating on Netflix. It's not out in DVD but one can stream it.

Bunheads and Breaking Pointe are available for adding to the queue (and they are both in mine, of course, dance-movie junkie that I am), but not actually released yet. Hopefully soon!

As far as what movies/TV on DVD we have watched recently: The Pirates! Band of Misfits (Aardman animation; fun as these always are) and Hugo (looked beautiful and was entertaining, but the story didn't stick with me). We are still working our way through House of Cards (Netflix original TV series).

Kara

Florence
3-25-13, 3:16pm
I'm watching an old tv series Jericho on Netflix DVDs. It is about a small town in post-Apocalyptic Kansas. Not great theater but an interesting premise.

domestic goddess
3-26-13, 10:08am
Last night I watched "Argo". I think this is the first year in my life that I have seen 2 Oscar nominees so close together! But Lincoln is what I 'm really waiting for. Saw it in the theater (another rarity for me) and it comes out on DVD today.

sweetana3
3-26-13, 10:28am
We watched the documentary Girl Model on PBS. It was one of the most disturbing movies I have watched. Model scouts taking 12-14 year old girls to Japan and often not meeting them or being there to assist. Leaving the girls with huge debt. The American model who was the "scout" was proud of her job and caught lying about how the girls always made money.

It happens all over the world. So much like human trafficking and even a subtle discussion of how modeling and prostitution are if not similar they are close (selling bodies). The American scout must be oblivious about how she looks and sounds during the film.

iris lily
3-26-13, 10:35am
We watched the documentary Girl Model on PBS. It was one of the most disturbing movies I have watched. Model scouts taking 12-14 year old girls to Japan and often not meeting them or being there to assist. Leaving the girls with huge debt. The American model who was the "scout" was proud of her job and caught lying about how the girls always made money.

It happens all over the world. So much like human trafficking and even a subtle discussion of how modeling and prostitution are if not similar they are close (selling bodies). The American scout must be oblivious about how she looks and sounds during the film.

Oh, I missed that! They will probably show it again. When I was scanning PBS stations last night for my favorite new reality show Market Warriors I did see a few seconds of this, didn't know what it was or else I would have watched it.

The Storyteller
3-26-13, 6:28pm
Just finished up watching seasons 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey, awaiting streaming release of season 3.

Breaking Bad, reruns of the first half of season 5 is ending this Monday. Game of Thrones season 3 (which will apparently include the infamous Red Wedding) starts up Sunday night, then Mad Men returns the following Sunday. About the time those wind up, it will almost be time for the second half of Breaking Bad season 5 (the final 8 episodes) to begin July 15.

Happy television watching ahead!

Jilly
3-26-13, 6:41pm
The Invisible War, a documentary about sexual misconduct and rape within the US military. It was recommended by one of my knitting friends who was in the Marines and is now an official in the state correctional system. It is worth a second watching, and I did. Like Women hold up half the sky, I will want to watch this again, but not any time very soon.

Hunger Games was interesting, and it is a book that I might read along with my mentee. I have no idea who any of the actors are, but it kept my attention.

I have been looking for something along the lines of meditation or relaxation or something, and found Yoga for depression and anxiety, in my library's 0n-line catalog. The introduction is outstanding, but the class is a killer and reasonable only for people who are already experienced is practicing yoga and who do not have body issues, the kind that come from domestic abuse. I am so disappointed. I felt anxiety just watching it.

The Storyteller
3-26-13, 7:48pm
Hunger Games was interesting, and it is a book that I might read along with my mentee. I have no idea who any of the actors are, but it kept my attention.

Pretty funny, considering the lead actress Jennifer Lawrence won the Best Actress Oscar this year, along with most of the other female acting awards. :)

But don't feel bad. I watch these award shows and have no idea who half these young presenters are now days.

Aside... I like her a lot, personally. At one point people were going on about her performances and she said in an interview something to the effect "I'm just making movies. Acting is so stupid, it isn't like we are saving lives or anything".

Nothing like a young famous person with a sense of perspective.

happystuff
3-26-13, 7:49pm
Needed a good cry this past weekend so I watched the original Brian's Song. Followed by Alien versus Predator. Figure that one out - lol.

Jilly
3-26-13, 11:49pm
Pretty funny, considering the lead actress Jennifer Lawrence won the Best Actress Oscar this year, along with most of the other female acting awards. :)...

Oops. I still really liked the movie. :) In my defense, I do not know many of the people who record music, either. I am not a cultural luddite or anything, not a snob, just do not know any of this stuff.

I do know the important things like Hugh Jackman, though. :~)

iris lily
3-27-13, 12:28am
Just finished up watching seasons 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey, awaiting streaming release of season 3.

Breaking Bad, reruns of the first half of season 5 is ending this Monday. Game of Thrones season 3 (which will apparently include the infamous Red Wedding) starts up Sunday night, then Mad Men returns the following Sunday. About the time those wind up, it will almost be time for the second half of Breaking Bad season 5 (the final 8 episodes) to begin July 15.

Happy television watching ahead!

These are all great shows. I've decided to hold off watching Games of Thrones until they've got at least 3 seasons in the can. I went through Season 1 quickly and I get tired of waiting fo rthe next one to com eout. I may wait until they've got 5 seasons on dvd before watcing more.

AmeliaJane
3-27-13, 9:42am
I somehow ended up with a whole pile of movies from Netflix and the library and am working my way through them slowly.

Dark Shadows--much like Rock of Ages, this was a movie that got such terrible reviews that I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it. The action scenes didn't do much for me, but I quite liked the humor of a 1700s vampire adapting to the 1970s. Johnny Depp was practically unrecognizable in his vampire makeup.

Wolverine--Origins. This was really just on to have Hugh Jackman walking around without his shirt on while I was doing the crossword. It didn't help that it was a damaged library disc so that I missed some of the minimal plot it had.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: This movie about English ex-pats in India is very warm and charming, and if you want something cozy to watch with a cup of tea, I highly recommend it. The cast is top-notch (Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, etc) and frankly they were so good that I found myself paying more attention than I expected. It was a bit of a shock to see Maggie Smith in modern dress and speaking with a non-posh accent. The one disappointment was that Maggie Smith and Judi Dench have all of about two sentences worth of interaction.

The Storyteller
3-27-13, 12:00pm
These are all great shows. I've decided to hold off watching Games of Thrones until they've got at least 3 seasons in the can. I went through Season 1 quickly and I get tired of waiting fo rthe next one to com eout. I may wait until they've got 5 seasons on dvd before watcing more.

Yes, I may start doing the same. It is very different watching seasons back to back. Thanks to a nephew, I discovered Breaking Bad during recovery from a recent procedure and devoured the entire first 4 seasons in a couple of weeks. After each episode, we couldn't wait to start the next. Same thing with seasons 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey.

A very satisfying way to view television.

AmeliaJane
3-31-13, 12:41am
Finally saw Zero Dark Thirty, which I have been looking forward to since I saw the first previews. (I waited to see it at home because sometimes I find torture scenes very upsetting and I wanted to be able to fast-forward if necessary.)

It was interesting, and extremely well-done and worth one's time to watch, but in the end I never felt really emotionally engaged with the movie or characters. The lead character is rather off-putting, and the first hour and forty-five minutes largely consist of people yelling at each other in offices. I did feel that the actual raid on the bin Laden compound was really well-done.

I watched Argo a few weeks ago, and I remember being on the edge of my seat throughout (despite knowing the historical facts) because I was so wrapped up in their success or failure. In this movie, I sort of felt like we were checking off the boxes of the various events that led up to the raid.

iris lily
3-31-13, 7:55am
Finally saw Zero Dark Thirty, which I have been looking forward to since I saw the first previews. (I waited to see it at home because sometimes I find torture scenes very upsetting and I wanted to be able to fast-forward if necessary.)

It was interesting, and extremely well-done and worth one's time to watch, but in the end I never felt really emotionally engaged with the movie or characters. The lead character is rather off-putting, and the first hour and forty-five minutes largely consist of people yelling at each other in offices. I did feel that the actual raid on the bin Laden compound was really well-done.

I watched Argo a few weeks ago, and I remember being on the edge of my seat throughout (despite knowing the historical facts) because I was so wrapped up in their success or failure. In this movie, I sort of felt like we were checking off the boxes of the various events that led up to the raid.

I had that same reaction, I never warmed to the Jessica Chastain character. The film was worthwhile for the last 30 minutes about the raid on Osama's house, it was probably very much like that. I am looking forward to seeing Argo.

iris lily
3-31-13, 8:10am
We just watched The Hurt Locker. I thought it was pretty good. I wish I'd known ahead of time that its not gory. I spent alot of time covering my eyes. haha
Pretty scary to imagine being in war like that. No wonder there's so many suicides and PTSD after they come home. But good movie.

I liked Hurt Locker a lot, better than the director's Zero Dark Thirty film of this year.

iris lily
3-31-13, 8:15am
Iris Lily..........Didn't you mention "The Intouchables" somewhere here? It came on as a preview last night, right before "Robot and Frank", and I could have sworn that was Dustin Hoffman. I was so impressed with his French! hahaha Then I found out it wasn't him. That guy looked just like him!

I did highly recommend The InTouchables. It's about a relationship between a wealthy paralyzed Frenchman and a black guy he hires to take care of him. The Frenchman does look like Dustin HOffman but he's younger. Hoffman is getting up there in age. It's in French. This was a very likeable, light film.

I recently watched The Sessions ,also about a paralyzed man, which was more serious. I loved The Sessions as well, I was very moved by it.

CathyA
3-31-13, 10:38am
You give alot of good heads-up for movies IL! I'm going to watch The InTouchables and The Sessions.

Last night we watched Zero Dark Thirty. I was pretty lost during the first half.......all those foreign names that I couldn't keep straight on who was after whom.
I, too, couldn't warm up to the leading actress. I wish they wouldn't make people always so young in these things........unless, of course, the real person was that age.
I thought the last 30 minutes was great. I got a little confused with the chopper leaving. Maybe that's how they do it.
Its pretty amazing that the compound didn't have more security, and that none of our men were hurt.
I was thinking about this............if things were reversed and Bin Laden's group were after an American......I'm sure they would have shot all those children too. Don't you think so?
Of course, I guess we will never know the real truth of what happens at these things.

I liked Hurt Locker too. I was going to say that Kathryn Bigelow looks too young to be doing such impressive movies..........but I just saw that she's 61. Wish I looked that good! haha

Rogar
3-31-13, 11:15am
I went to see The Incredible Burt Wonderstone at the theater. I was surprised that it was so good. It seems like a decent family comedy is rare these days and not only was it funny, but sort of a feel good movie. It has a host of well-know characters in roles you would not expect them to play.

I have also been Netflixing The Game of Thrones. I think it is just ok. I read the books, so the plot is expected and it just seems a little boring.

iris lily
3-31-13, 11:55am
You give alot of good heads-up for movies IL! I'm going to watch The InTouchables and The Sessions.

Last night we watched Zero Dark Thirty. I was pretty lost during the first half.......all those foreign names that I couldn't keep straight on who was after whom.
I, too, couldn't warm up to the leading actress. I wish they wouldn't make people always so young in these things........unless, of course, the real person was that age.
I thought the last 30 minutes was great. I got a little confused with the chopper leaving. Maybe that's how they do it.
Its pretty amazing that the compound didn't have more security, and that none of our men were hurt.
I was thinking about this............if things were reversed and Bin Laden's group were after an American......I'm sure they would have shot all those children too. Don't you think so?
Of course, I guess we will never know the real truth of what happens at these things.

I liked Hurt Locker too. I was going to say that Kathryn Bigelow looks too young to be doing such impressive movies..........but I just saw that she's 61. Wish I looked that good! haha

I didn't follow all of the bad guys in the first 2/3 of the film, either. I just didn't care that much. I loved seeing Jennifer Ehle in it, she's very cool, I know her from British films. She was the best Elizabeth Bennett ever filmed in Pride and Prejudice.

I did think it was interesting that they started to focus on Bin Laden's courier only because none of the men they interrogated would give up a clue about him. That's what lead them to think "hey, this guy is important" and of course they didn't know that he was that close to Bin Laden.

Spartana
4-2-13, 1:50pm
I liked Hurt Locker a lot, better than the director's Zero Dark Thirty film of this year.

Loved Hurt Locker! Love Jeremy whatshisface in pretty much everything.

Have been catching up on DVD movies and watched that very sappy vampire/werewolf movie series last week ("Twilight" series). Hated the whole series but thought it was visually nice despite the terrible acting and plot line.

Have the 2nd season of "Game of Thrones" to watch this week and then "Inception" and some other sci-fi stuff - always my favorite genre!! Also recently watched "Jarhead" and "To kill a Mockingbird" (for the millionth time :-)!), and a bunch of other older DVDs.

AmeliaJane
4-2-13, 5:25pm
I really liked The Hurt Locker as well, which was one reason that I was expecting to enjoy Zero Dark Thirty more than I did. The lead character in Hurt Locker was difficult to like also, as I recall, but you could still empathize with him. Somehow that didn't happen with ZDT.

For sci fi, I have heard really good things about Looper. I just moved it up in my Netflix queue. On the other hand, I was so bored with Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer, I gave up an hour in. That was enough to see what they were doing with the characters and the universe, which was all I really cared about. I was really tempted to do a double feature with Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer, and Lincoln, but decided that would be too many stovepipe hats for one evening.

CathyA
4-2-13, 7:35pm
I got to wondering why alot of us didn't warm up to the main female character in Zero DT. And I started to wonder if in real life, that woman in the CIA wasn't that likeable? Maybe they were really being realistic with her character. haha I wish they had portrayed the 2 women in that show as older and less attractive. I think it would have been more believable.
But it seems like most movies use alot of young people. I hate it when they make people in really high positions to be about 26. Its unrealistic.

I actually did warm up a bit to the guy in the Hurt Locker.

iris lily
4-2-13, 8:33pm
I really liked The Hurt Locker as well, which was one reason that I was expecting to enjoy Zero Dark Thirty more than I did. The lead character in Hurt Locker was difficult to like also, as I recall, but you could still empathize with him. Somehow that didn't happen with ZDT.

For sci fi, I have heard really good things about Looper. I just moved it up in my Netflix queue. On the other hand, I was so bored with Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer, I gave up an hour in. That was enough to see what they were doing with the characters and the universe, which was all I really cared about. I was really tempted to do a double feature with Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer, and Lincoln, but decided that would be too many stovepipe hats for one evening.

hey watch Looper and then let me know how you liked it. I'm on the fence about it. I (wisely, haha!) decided not to see Abe Lincoln Vampire Slayer.

iris lily
4-2-13, 8:34pm
I went to see The Incredible Burt Wonderstone at the theater. I was surprised that it was so good. It seems like a decent family comedy is rare these days and not only was it funny, but sort of a feel good movie. It has a host of well-know characters in roles you would not expect them to play.

I have also been Netflixing The Game of Thrones. I think it is just ok. I read the books, so the plot is expected and it just seems a little boring.

Yours is the only good review of Burt Wonderstone I've seen. They are creaming this on my local film chat board.

Jilly
4-2-13, 9:38pm
I watched Looper a few weeks ago, and it is the reason I borrowed Premium Rush from the library this week past. Both are very good. I am becoming more and more fond of Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

iris lily
4-3-13, 12:03am
I watched Looper a few weeks ago, and it is the reason I borrowed Premium Rush from the library this week past. Both are very good. I am becoming more and more fond of Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
Did you see that one of him where he's got cancer? That is a very nice film, the friendship between him the the big doofus guy is sweet and real.

Tiam
4-3-13, 12:35am
We watched "In Darkness" a true story about Jews in Nazi occupied Poland living in the sewer to avoid detection. They were there for 14 months. It's interesting how the sewer worker who was helping them goes from exploiting them for money to really caring about them. It also raised the question for me "Are there no conditions so bleak, horrible, hopeless, filthy and disgusting that won't cause humans to cease copulating?" Not a film for kids.

In the extras was an interview the the sole remaining survivor whose book "The Girl in the Green Sweater" was the basis for the movie. The film maker didn't know until after the film was made that any of these people was still alive. The author married a man who was saved by Oskar Schindler (sp?) of "Schindler's List" fame.

I don't see either of these on Netfix. In light of your question. I don't think people always copulate to procreate. It's just a symptom of a symptom.

Jilly
4-3-13, 8:05am
Did you see that one of him where he's got cancer? That is a very nice film, the friendship between him the the big doofus guy is sweet and real.

No, I have not. I just reserved it at the library and will fetch it today.

treehugger
4-3-13, 11:56am

That movie has a greyhound in it! I haven't seen it yet, but it's working it's way up our queue. I can't resist a movie with a greyhound.

Last night DH and I watched Half Past Autumn: The Life and Works of Gordon Parks. What a talented, fascinating man. Such an eventful life. Very worthwhile movie. He is a groundbreaking Life photographer, composer, filmmaker (Shaft!), writer (novels and memoirs , poet, painter.

Kara

Spartana
4-3-13, 2:31pm

I recently saw Looper and Abe Lincoln: Vampire Slayer. Loved Looper and actually liked Abe Lincoln: V.S. better than I thought I would (you should have stayed around for the ending which was better than the beginning). Probably because it was done by Tim Burton who'e quirky stuff I always enjoy. Not saying it was good, just not as bad as I expected. I haven't seem Zero Dark Thirty yet so don't know about the female characters relatibility or likebility yet but I actually both related too, and liked, the Hurt Locker main character. I have a bit of Hurt Locker syndrome myself (loved being in the service - the boredom, the danger, the boredom :-)!, hated getting out, very very depressed about getting out, wanted to go back in and found civilian life...dull, mundane, and uninspiring) so could relate. Plus I sort of have had a crush on him ever since I saw him on some short lived cop series on TV. Even as an unknown he had that "it" thing that could carry him into a big movie career.

Spartana
4-3-13, 2:38pm
I watched Looper a few weeks ago, and it is the reason I borrowed Premium Rush from the library this week past. Both are very good. I am becoming more and more fond of Joseph Gordon-Levitt.Yeah I love him too.I remember when he did that TV show Third Rock from the Sun - loved it! He's also one of those people who had that "it" thing that you could see that would take him forward into movie realms.

domestic goddess
4-4-13, 10:54am
I have to say that I don't watch a lot of movies, so I'm not sure I can contribute anything meaningful to the discussion. But I did watch "Lincoln" and loved it. Also watched "Argo" and couldn't see what the fuss was all about, let alone the Oscar. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in Lincoln.Remembering him from Third Rock, it was interesting to see what he can do as a serious, as opposed to comic, actor.

The Storyteller
4-4-13, 12:33pm
Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in Lincoln.Remembering him from Third Rock, it was interesting to see what he can do as a serious, as opposed to comic, actor.

You should see 50/50 if you get a chance. Was also very good in Inception and Looper. He has grown into an excellent actor.

The Storyteller
4-4-13, 12:35pm

I really should learn to read back a few messages before responding. :)

Spartana
4-4-13, 2:02pm
You should see 50/50 if you get a chance. Was also very good in Inception and Looper. He has grown into an excellent actor.
He was also good in the newest Batman (Dark Knight) movie. Geeze - he's in everything as in Jeremy Renner. I personally love Sci-Fi stuff but for some reason am not a fan of the comic book to movie genre at all - with the exception of some of the "darker" ones like "Sin City" (loved that!). Really disliked the various Batmans (Batmens?), Supermans, Spidermans, Thor, Advengers, Capt America, etc... Although "Thor" himself was nice to look at :devil:

AmeliaJane
4-14-13, 11:24am
I really enjoyed Argo, so I decided to try out two other movies directed by Ben Affleck: "Gone, Baby, Gone" and "The Town." Liked them both--there are a lot of similarities including the blue-collar Boston setting, themes of crime and law enforcement, dark tone. I did find the plot of "Gone, Baby, Gone" (about a missing child) to be rather convoluted whereas "The Town" (bank robber trying to go straight) is more straightforward. Jon Hamm plays an FBI agent in "The Town" and the one scene he and Ben Affleck have together is just awash in manliness. His alter ego Don Draper on "Mad Men" has been flailing about for the last couple of seasons, and I had forgotten how commanding Hamm can be when he wants to.

Also saw "The Lucky One" which is based on Nicholas Sparks (returning Iraq vet finds love) and a few weeks ago, "The Vow" (couple separated by wife's amnesia). Both are about what you would expect from romantic melodrama--pretty actresses, handsome actors, kissing in the rain, etc. "The Vow" was actually a little better than I expected--it did not have the easy, cliched happy ending although of course it ended on a positive note.

Jilly
4-14-13, 12:29pm
50/50 was good. The early scenes, well, I had my doubts about how the story would be told. I had no idea of who made the movie or any of its provenance, so I seriously misjudged what I was watching. However, I liked the characters a lot and am so glad that I stuck with it. It is exactly what I needed to see and experience yesterday.

It took two weeks for it to show up as a hold and it is due back tomorrow. I might watch it again tonight.

Thank you Iris Lily. Without your recommendation I am pretty sure that I would never have found it on my own.

Spartana
4-19-13, 2:42pm
This week i saw Premium Rush (liked but unrealistic), The Hobbit (liked but didn't love like LOTR), and Zero Dark Thirty (didn't like much - boring, at least until the end - liked The Hurt Locker MUCH better by the same Director I believe).

AmeliaJane
4-27-13, 8:27am
This weekend I took "Tower Heist" off the library stack. It was light and fluffy--nothing too important in The History of Film, but a fun diversion for a Friday night. Ben Stiller was much less manic than usual (Eddie Murphy was plenty manic for both of them) and it was fun to see Alan Alda, Tea Leoni and Matthew Broderick back on screen.

Chopper777
5-1-13, 8:26pm
Every horror movie that comes out. And every sci-fi movie as well. Can't stand the chick flicks or children's movies. Yuck. :)

Jilly
5-1-13, 9:22pm
Chopper, do you watch Guillermo del Toro's films? Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite films, and whilst I own so few DVDs, I found a copy in a bargain bin and now I have my very own copy that I can watch any time I like.

In my hand is his The Orphanage, which I will be watching in a few minutes, soon as I finish here. My favorite of his films are in Spanish and even though dubbing is not always satisfactory...to the fussy few of us who fuss...I miss too much of the action and atmosphere when I read subtitles.

I also like The Devil's Backbone, and I never would have ever, ever, ever watched the first Hellboy and have seen all of them several times now, although I usually have to wait for them to be returned to the library.

I used to watch every horror film, too, but am willing to let many of them go on without my attention, especially the more gratuitous ones like Saw, etc., same for science fiction. Never could find anything in the animations made from Pratchet's work. Too much was lost in the translation.

I am a huge fan of Japanese horror, though.

My favorite favorite, though, are zombie films and books. Thank goodness for the Scandinavian authors.

Chopper777
5-1-13, 9:37pm
I like a lot of those movies. Have you seen the Paranormal Activity series? Great movies, except the last one. Of course, Halloween and Alien are classics. The Excocist and Exorcist III, Prince of Darkness, Evil Dead, Incidious. And the Wolfman and Dracula movies from the 1940's.

Jilly
5-1-13, 10:19pm
I remember when Halloween was first shown on cable. This was the old, old kind of cable television, where the short periods between movies was action shots of scantily-clad women exercising. My daughter was quite young, but loved horror stuff, too. She read Lovecraft, Poe and that ilk, as well as some Shakespeare, when she was six years old. When she said that she wanted to watch that film, I let her, but only if I was there and could turn the set off if need be.

We watched the whole thing, squealing when appropriate, yelling at the dumb kids, covering our eyes most of the time and she has never stopped telling that story and how much fun it was to watch the darn thing. Go figure.

I watched the first Paranormal, but the subsequent ones looked to be more of the same, so I passed. Mistake?

Love the Hammer films; my daughter owns most of them, some on video cassette. In our defense, we still have the majority of our music on vinyl. Evil Dead is another constant favorite. When she was in high school, I found an Evil Dead metal lunchbox and she still has that and my grandsons play with it. Insidious, just watched that last month.

I have run out of zombie movies that are available through our library consortium, so my son-in-law gave me a subscription to Netflix. Nice guy. Likes me. :D

iris lily
5-1-13, 11:15pm
Chopper, do you watch Guillermo del Toro's films? Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite films, and whilst I own so few DVDs, I found a copy in a bargain bin and now I have my very own copy that I can watch any time I like.

In my hand is his The Orphanage, which I will be watching in a few minutes, soon as I finish here. My favorite of his films are in Spanish and even though dubbing is not always satisfactory...to the fussy few of us who fuss...I miss too much of the action and atmosphere when I read subtitles.

I also like The Devil's Backbone, and I never would have ever, ever, ever watched the first Hellboy and have seen all of them several times now, although I usually have to wait for them to be returned to the library.

I used to watch every horror film, too, but am willing to let many of them go on without my attention, especially the more gratuitous ones like Saw, etc., same for science fiction. Never could find anything in the animations made from Pratchet's work. Too much was lost in the translation.

I am a huge fan of Japanese horror, though.

My favorite favorite, though, are zombie films and books. Thank goodness for the Scandinavian authors.

I love Pan's Lab, it's on my top 20 list. The Orphanage was decent. I watched Hellboy because the images are so interesting though I didn't finish that film, I just wanted to see the makeup and costumes and see some of Hellboy.

Jilly
5-1-13, 11:43pm
I kinda lurve Hellboy.

Chopper777
5-2-13, 8:12pm
I remember when Halloween was first shown on cable. This was the old, old kind of cable television, where the short periods between movies was action shots of scantily-clad women exercising. My daughter was quite young, but loved horror stuff, too. She read Lovecraft, Poe and that ilk, as well as some Shakespeare, when she was six years old. When she said that she wanted to watch that film, I let her, but only if I was there and could turn the set off if need be.

We watched the whole thing, squealing when appropriate, yelling at the dumb kids, covering our eyes most of the time and she has never stopped telling that story and how much fun it was to watch the darn thing. Go figure.

I watched the first Paranormal, but the subsequent ones looked to be more of the same, so I passed. Mistake?

Love the Hammer films; my daughter owns most of them, some on video cassette. In our defense, we still have the majority of our music on vinyl. Evil Dead is another constant favorite. When she was in high school, I found an Evil Dead metal lunchbox and she still has that and my grandsons play with it. Insidious, just watched that last month.

I have run out of zombie movies that are available through our library consortium, so my son-in-law gave me a subscription to Netflix. Nice guy. Likes me. :D

The first Paranormal Activity movie was really good, but the next two are worth watching as well. The third one was the best; scary scary scary...but in a good way. You owe it to yourself to see them...especially the third one...but don't waste your time or money on the fourth one. Halloween was such a masterpiece...so VERY LITTLE blood and violence...yet so scary. John Carpenter is a real pro...he got more scares from so little actual violence than anyone ever has...watch the movie again when you get the chance and notice that so much of the scary stuff happens when nothing bad happens to anyone...Michael Myers staring at people...great lead-in music to all the scary scenes...a real masterpiece.

iris lilies
5-2-13, 8:43pm
I kinda lurve Hellboy.

awwww. :D

The Storyteller
5-4-13, 6:55pm
I watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/) on Netflix last night and am intrigued by this juicing phenomenon. I don't see it as a real diet, but might play with supplementing mine.

It also sounds like an end around to vegan eating, without using the v word. Not my cup of tea.

But I would hate to have to buy a juicer, then end up packing it away because of non-use.

AmeliaJane
5-4-13, 10:06pm
An oldie but a goodie--"Hoosiers" with Gene Hackman is now on Netflix streaming. Lots of fun, especially since I went to a high school where basketball was The Sport.

Jilly
5-4-13, 10:21pm
Juicing is great, but very expensive unless you can grow most of the stuff you juice year round.

Chopper, I have seen Halloween a dozen or more times. Parts of it still make me want to cover my eyes. :)

I watched a DVD last night that makes me want to read the book, something that rarely happens; the only one that comes quickly to mind is The Princess Bride. It is Blindness, and even for those who love horror films, this one is not going to be for everyone. It is another film that does not directly show the violence, but the way it is implied is still very disturbing. I have the book on reserve.

I also wanted to watch the horror film The Girl Next Door, but made a clicking mistake when I reserved it, and got the 1953 romantic musical of the same title. Turns out, after going back to my library account, that my original search was for more of a murder mystery, something I like less than straight horror. So, was able to relax into a gentle love story, one that had outstanding costumes, and all's well that ends well.>8)

Tiam
5-5-13, 1:34am
I unintentionally watched 50/50 with Joseph Gordon Levitt. I like this young actor. He made the film.

catherine
5-5-13, 8:05am
Saw Life of Pi last night.. Amazing. Certainly made me wish I had seen it on the big screen when it was out. That cinematography was an experience in itself. Magical.

Florence
5-5-13, 9:10pm
We watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It was dated but still so good.

puglogic
5-5-13, 10:51pm
We watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It was dated but still so good.

I loved both versions, both the newer one and the one with Alec Guinness way back when. Very subtle, no fireworks, no car chases, just really well put together and suspenseful in that old-style way.

We're working our way through a stack of Ken Burns documentaries, chronologically, each one better than the last one. Just finished The Statue of Liberty one...very cool.

iris lilies
5-5-13, 11:25pm
Saw Life of Pi last night.. Amazing. Certainly made me wish I had seen it on the big screen when it was out. That cinematography was an experience in itself. Magical.

I loved it! Beautiful, just amazingly beautiful.

Weston
5-6-13, 11:08am
Just saw Disconnect which is in limited release right now. My wife and I had been discussing how many great movies we had seen in 2012 but had yet to see one in 2013 that approached that standard. Finally got a good one. Highly recommend Disconnect.

pinkytoe
5-7-13, 10:34am
Saw Life of Pi last night
Saw this a few weeks back and it stuck in my mind for days. I found the idea of being stuck on a "life" boat with wild animals paralleled the trajectory of our lives. We never really get off the boat until the end when it lands on a distant shore and we are set free.

CathyA
5-7-13, 8:44pm
Have any of you ever seen "The Bubble Boy"? Its just a cute, goofy movie. I really liked it.

Florence
5-8-13, 8:01pm
DH and I are watching the Children of Dune series. I can't keep up with who is who.

The Storyteller
5-9-13, 3:33pm
Kumare.

Interesting documentary. A doubter who believes all religion is fake starts out to mock Hinduism. Of Indian descent, he grows his hair and beard out, goes to India to observe gurus, and returns as a fake guru, with a fake religion, fake philosophy, fake costume, fake accent (his is from New Jersey) fake teachings, fake rituals. He goes to Phoenix with some hired (real) yoga experts, and starts his fake asram.

[SPOILERS ghosted. Drag your mouse across the below paragraph to read. ]

Only along the way, the fake philosophy somehow becomes a real one, that borrows from real Hindu and Buddhist background. By the end of the film, he has become very attached and deeply committed to the lives his followers. When it comes time for him to reveal his true identity, he finds it very very difficult to abandon them. Some his followers are hurt, some okay with it, some extremely angry.

He set out to prove a point, and failed miserably at it. It appears he is half convert to his guru self by the end.

Weston
5-13-13, 10:02am
For those of you inclined to head to the theaters, we saw a great movie this weekend. Mud. Absolutely the best movie we have seen this year by a wide, wide margin.

The Storyteller
5-21-13, 3:02pm
Walked to the theater last night and watched the new Star Trek. Loved it.

Currently in season 2 of Justified, with Timothy Oliphant, on Netflix.

Watched the doc Vegucated last week. Charming interaction among the participants, but incredibly misleading and dishonest. I don't understand why some in the vegan animal rights crowd feel it is necessary to manipulate and sometimes outright lie to get their point across, when there is so much real animal cruelty in the factory farming system. Hated it intensely.

treehugger
5-21-13, 3:10pm
Walked to the theater last night and watched the new Star Trek. Loved it.

Looking forward very much to seeing this this weekend. DH got a gift card to the local theater for Christmas, and we haven't used it once yet. On the few weekends since then when have time to see a movie (we are both in school and working), there hasn't been anything we wanted to see. So, this weekend is finally the magic formula = school is over for the semester Saturday morning + good movie in the theater.

Kara

Florence
5-21-13, 6:56pm

Jilly
5-25-13, 3:17pm
Am I the only person who is underwhelmed with Les Misérables?

I read the book when I was in school and loved it. It remains the best novel I have ever read. When I lost everything last year, that tattered copy is something I still miss, although I know that I will eventually find another one.

I love the characters and think that the casting for the film was really great. Besides, who does not love another reason to watch that guy from Wolverine...what is his name? Hugh Jackman. The music was nice and the singing fine, but nothing thrilling. I am not overly fond of war action, but that was nicely done, as well.

So, any ideas on why I could not stir up even a little enthusiasm whilst watching this thing, would be very helpful. It is just a shame that I have waited so long to get to the top of the reserve list and was not able to get back into this amazing story.

AmeliaJane
5-25-13, 5:57pm
No, I felt the same when I was watching Les Miserables, and I loved it when I saw it onstage when I was in my 20s. I guess it's such an icon of the theater they didn't want to edit out parts of the stage musical, but when seen straight through with no intermission it was just too long, and for me a sung-through musical didn't work on screen somehow. Also, the frequent use of close-ups felt a little odd to me since the movie and book are both really epic. I wanted to tell the camera man to back up about ten feet through much of the movies.

I did get teary-eyed at the big finale, though.

Florence
5-25-13, 9:08pm
I just finished watching No Impact Man. IMHO, the real star of the movie is his wife Michelle. Since the book and movie were a few years ago, I wonder how they are doing and if they had the second child that she wanted??

JaneV2.0
5-26-13, 10:49am
I just finished watching No Impact Man. IMHO, the real star of the movie is his wife Michelle. Since the book and movie were a few years ago, I wonder how they are doing and if they had the second child that she wanted??

He has a facebook page; no sign of a second child. No sign of his wife either, though he does mention his "family."

goldensmom
5-26-13, 11:45am
Am I the only person who is underwhelmed with Les Misérables?
I haven't seen the Hugh Jackson version yet but have the Liam Neeson version. I've seen Les Mes several times in the theater so am not that anxious to see the movie however good it may be. For me, no movie can compare to the story I envision when I read a book or the live performance in a theatre. Being a theater person, the interaction between the actors and between the actors and audiance is different each time the play is performed and it enthralls me like a film never could. The actors performance depends a lot on the audience reaction and being part of the action (pit orchestra) can send chills up my spine. When watching a play, I like to be so close that I can see the actors literally spit their words and to watch the musicians do crossword puzzles/snooze or read the paper between pieces. It's the whole experience of a theater play that excites and is so lacking in the film experience.

iris lily
5-26-13, 1:10pm
I am so disgusted with Hollywood that at the moment I can hardly find anything to see in the theaters. I'd like to see Before Midnight and perhaps Renoir.

We watched Argo last weekend and it was decent. The pace of the film was great, there was not one slow section. The overall idea was great and the actors were fairly interesting. The last section of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards chasing the plane down the runway was stupid and predictable as was a few of the obstacle thrown in their way just prior to getting on the plane. That was way too Hollywood. That was the last of the Oscar nominated films that I'll see. Still loved Life of Pi the best.

There is not one thing I want to rent in Redbox.

But on a brighter note, last night I watched Homeland (tv series) on the computer purchased from Amazon. It is fab! I went through two episodes and am looking forward to the rest of it.

catherine
5-26-13, 1:17pm
Being a theater person, the interaction between the actors and between the actors and audiance is different each time the play is performed and it enthralls me like a film never could. The actors performance depends a lot on the audience reaction and being part of the action (pit orchestra) can send chills up my spine. When watching a play, I like to be so close that I can see the actors literally spit their words and to watch the musicians do crossword puzzles/snooze or read the paper between pieces. It's the whole experience of a theater play that excites and is so lacking in the film experience.

+1 Absolutely.

AmeliaJane
5-26-13, 5:25pm
Just went to see the Great Gatsby to kick off the summer movie season. Personally I liked it. Leonardo diCaprio was just terrific to watch and this was his first movie in awhile to really make use of that incredible charisma he has onscreen. To enjoy it, I think you have to go in being OK with 1) this is a movie inspired by the novel "The Great Gatsby," not a recreation of the book on film. The interpretation of the characters is apparently quite different (it's been quite awhile since I read Gatsby so I don't recall exactly). Personally, I am OK with that, because I am getting tired of the "transfer the book to the screen with no interpretation" approach. I like to see what the director's imagination adds, even if it doesn't totally work sometimes. 2)It's a Baz Luhrmann movie, and it totally matches his brand. It's big, colorful, and enthusiastically cheesy. In this case, the trailers nailed it.

I did feel like it dragged in the middle. I don't know why modern directors can't discipline themselves in the editing room. That movie did not need to be 2.5 hours long. 2 would have been plenty.

CathyA
5-26-13, 5:57pm
Last night we watched "The Bourne Legacy". It was okay. Tonight we're going to watch "Promised Land" with Matt Damon. Its about a farm community that is having alot of financial problems and the oil company comes in to offer "help". Should be interesting. Got lots of good reviews online.......but the anti-environmentalists thought it was awful. hahaha

Tiam
5-28-13, 12:53am
Recently saw "Mud" with Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon and Sam Shepard. A small indie movie. Not bad.

And Life of Pi. I enjoyed it. It should be a winner for anyone who wants to be entertained without any violence.

CathyA
5-28-13, 9:40am
Watched "Promised Land" with Matt Damon and John Krasinski (they wrote it together). Was okay. A disappointment though, if they wanted to make a strong environmental statement.

Florence
5-28-13, 6:29pm
We watched Lincoln last night. It was excellent although I did have trouble following all the dialogue. Maybe it is just my aging ears.

treehugger
5-28-13, 6:33pm
DH and I saw the new Star Trek in the theater yesterday and both enjoyed it. Good continuance of the characters' relationships from the first (new) movie.

Kara

razz
5-28-13, 6:35pm
Finally got to see Quartet which I loved.

iris lily
5-28-13, 9:09pm
Finally got to see Quartet which I loved.

I've been wanting to see that one.

treehugger
5-28-13, 9:23pm
Also been enjoying the brand new episodes of Arrested Development on Netflix. Four of our friends are in episode 4 (the bagpipe band)!

Kara

AmeliaJane
6-3-13, 4:24pm
Two DVDs this weekend--Fair Game (which was based on the Valerie Plame scandal--she was the CIA operative whose cover was blown by the White House during the Iraq War) and the latest Bourne movie, the Bourne Legacy. Fair Game was sort of boring, to be honest. It really just retold the events of the scandal, and I was very curious about, for instance, how Valerie Plame and her husband got together. I actually liked The Bourne Legacy a lot, more than the last two in the series. Partly because I like Jeremy Renner as an actor, and he got to actually act in a more sympathetic character than he has for awhile, and partly because I appreciated the return to the simpler "chase" theme of the first movie. I wasn't a big fan of the political/bureaucratic maneuvering of the last couple of movies.

AmeliaJane
6-8-13, 9:25am
And another DVD (now that summer is here I am catching up a bit!)--Looper, which is a time-travel movie with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis. I really enjoyed it and recommend it to the science fiction fans on the board. It is a science fiction movie with action sequences rather than an action movie with a science fiction setting, by which I mean the plot is driven by the ideas in the world-building rather than being a traditional movie plot with robots and aliens. Warning, there is violence against children (entirely off-screen, but I know that is a no-no for some people.)

I was a little confused for about 20 minutes in that the movie is set in 2040 and discusses people traveling back from 2074. For awhile, I was under the impression that part of the movie took place in our present, and that people were traveling back and forth to 2044. In fact, the whole movie takes place in 2044, and 2074 is discussed but never seen. The movie's version of 2044 looks a lot like the present, other than the flying motorcycles, especially since the hero deliberately wears 20th century style clothes. (Which one character hilariously discusses in grumpy-old-man fashion).

Anyway, highly recommended. I was realizing it had been quite a while since I had seen a pure science fiction movie--I think District 9 and Inception are the last couple I can remember...

The other thing I have been watching lately is the old series Gilmore Girls on DVD. I didn't watch it at the time it was on but after having loved Bunheads from the same creative team (and hearing that the two series were similar). I went back to it. Highly recommended for those who like small-town comedy and/or screwball comedy. The series is about a mother who had a baby when she was a teenager and her daughter, who is a teen when the show begins. It follows their lives, particularly rebuilding the mother's relationship with her parents after becoming estranged over the pregnancy, and the contrasts between the free-spirit mother and the bookworm daughter. That sounds more serious than it is--it's very light and charming and I think would be great (speaking of the other TV thread) if anyone is looking for family-friendly TV. The series has been giving me whiplash, though, because the same actor who plays the daughter's sweet, loving first boyfriend went on in his next job to play a hardcore monster hunter in the series Supernatural, which I am watching on streaming while I do chores or laundry. Every once in awhile the actor will be seducing a werewolf on one show and I'm saying "But you were just kissing Rory at the high school dance," until I remember that was a whole different series.

puglogic
6-9-13, 12:40am
Finally saw Skyfall. Interesting, not overly engaging, but fun enough for a Saturday night while working. And of course it had Javier Bardem (looks terrible as a blonde, but hey) Tomorrow night, for a change of pace, Ed Wood.

treehugger
6-9-13, 7:51pm
DH and I have been watching the second season of the TV show Community on DVD. It's extra hilarious because I am a current community college student. The show has deliberately heightened and silly themes, but even so, there is much about community college that is absurd enough in reality. :) It's a brilliant place to set a sitcom.

Kara

iris lily
6-9-13, 9:26pm
DH and I have been watching the second season of the TV show Community on DVD. It's extra hilarious because I am a current community college student. The show has deliberately heightened and silly themes, but even so, there is much about community college that is absurd enough in reality. :) It's a brilliant place to set a sitcom.

Kara

I heard that was pretty good, so it's on my "B" list. When I finish "A" list productions I'll try B list series.

Lainey
6-9-13, 11:15pm
Just saw "The Internship" with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Only got 2 stars from our local movie critic but we thought it was a funny enjoyable summer movie. Oh, to work at Google ...

treehugger
6-10-13, 11:53am
Just saw "The Internship" with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Only got 2 stars from our local movie critic but we thought it was a funny enjoyable summer movie. Oh, to work at Google ...

I want to see this, but will probably just wait for it to get to Netflix. A reviewer who I usually agree with gave it a "B" which works for me. Glad you liked it.

We watched Moonrise Kingdom last night and that was definitely the most enjoyable Wes Anderson movie in years (I know that sounds like damning with faint praise, but I really loved Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Fantastic Mr. Fox). And wow, what a visual feast!

Kara

AmeliaJane
6-10-13, 3:09pm
As I think I mentioned in another thread, one of my summer (and probably beyond) projects is working my way through a "50 Best Summer Blockbusters" list. First up was "Speed" with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. It was, of course, ridiculous, but full of delights like the full-on crazy face of Dennis Hopper when the ransom money dye pack explodes in his face (evidently, a veteran retired police officer who is brilliant enough to rig an elevator AND a bus with un-defusable bombs is not smart enough to realize that ransom money probably has a dye pack in it...) and the Keanu Reeves Steely Look when, faced with a dangerous bomb he must inspect, reaches into his pocket with a flourish and whips out...a screwdriver. Thoroughly enjoyed.

softweave
6-22-13, 7:20am
I recently enjoyed watching RED on Amazon instant download. RED stands for Retired Extremely Dangerous. The movie stars Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and other stars of a certain age. The premise is ridiculous and the action relentless -- a great pop corn movie.

Lainey
6-22-13, 9:20pm
Watched the fantastic Leonardo DiCaprio in "J. Edgar" I thought Armie Hammer was also excellent as Hoover's assistant/paramour.

Also saw "42" about Jackie Robinson. Some people in the theater openly cried at the scene where PeeWee Reese puts his arm about Jackie out on the field during a game. I was heartened to see a number of teens and young adults at the movie because I think it's important for this history to be known - it wasn't really that long ago.

Simplemind
6-22-13, 11:47pm
We just watched "The Impossible" and I found it very distressing. Movies usually don't get to me (other than total enjoyment) but this one really struck several nerves. Not in the horror movie genre but boy did it make me feel it within the first 10 minutes. The fact that I had my own near drowning incident didn't help.

softweave
6-23-13, 12:51pm
Just watched "Surrogates" a Bruce Willis science fiction action movie. It's set in a not too distant future in which people have stopped going outside and live their lives through surrogate robots. The movie takes this premise to suspense filled consequences.

iris lilies
6-23-13, 4:18pm
We watched This is the End, the movie by Seth Rogen about Hollywood actors caught in the apocalypse. It was silly and funny. There are lots of cameos by the Gen x-er's (or are they Gen y?s) including my favorite Mindy Kaling.

On video I've blown through Will Ferrell's Everything Muyst Go which could sort of be interpreted as a simple inving film: a n alcoholic guy loses his job and his wife throws all of his possessions on the front lawn where he lives for a few days, contemplating his life and getting rid of this stuff. It's mediocre.

I stopped watching Punch Drunk Love , an older Adam Sandler film which was odd and rather interesting-funny but the jarring music was too annoying.

I stopped watching The Borgias (tv series from the UK) with Jeremy Irons--the thing is badly written. How you can have such great source material, great and/or pretty actors, fab costumes, and still have a dull production? When the writers are not talented.

Earlier in the week I finished Chocolat, an interesting African film about race at the tail end of colonialism.

iris lilies
6-23-13, 4:27pm
We just watched "The Impossible" and I found it very distressing. Movies usually don't get to me (other than total enjoyment) but this one really struck several nerves. Not in the horror movie genre but boy did it make me feel it within the first 10 minutes. The fact that I had my own near drowning incident didn't help.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I can see that that film would bother someone who had a near drowning.

puglogic
7-2-13, 6:51pm
Continuing my Ken Burns binge, I watched his documentary on Huey Long. Fascinating and disturbing.

iris lilies
7-2-13, 9:10pm
We saw the silly The Heat (buddy cop show with Sandra Bullock and Meslissa McCarthy) and I thought it was funny, I really really enjoyed it!

Jilly
7-2-13, 9:33pm
I watched The Impossible, found it distressing and have never had any water/drowning issues, at least not in this life.

Robot & Frank, made me think about all kinds of life stuff. Frank Langella was amazing in a very interesting story set in the not too distant future.

I have been wanting to watch The Intouchables, but kept putting it off because my vision has not been good enough to read subtitles. I am so glad that I finally watched it this past weekend. So good.

iris lilies
7-2-13, 9:38pm
I have been wanting to watch The Intouchables, but kept putting it off because my vision has not been good enough to read subtitles. I am so glad that I finally watched it this past weekend. So good.

That was a great little film!

happystuff
7-2-13, 10:04pm
We saw the silly The Heat (buddy cop show with Sandra Bullock and Meslissa McCarthy) and I thought it was funny, I really really enjoyed it!

Just saw this too. Loved it!

AmeliaJane
7-3-13, 9:35am
In new movies, I went to see World War Z. I actually liked it quite a bit (have not read the book--apparently the two are very different which has upset some book fans). I have been eyeing the trailer for a long time but there were terrible reports of reshoots etc that did not bode well so I was waiting for reviews. It is not going to win any Oscars but it is fast-moving (they get to the zombies very quickly) and I was engrossed throughout. I think the reshoots etc helped in that a) it was only 2 hours long. I have been to very few 2+ hour action movies where I felt the extra time was well spent and b) I read up on the original ending online and it was terrible. A lot of reviewers felt the final ending did not hold up but I thought it was fine.

In Summer Blockbuster Rewatch News, I actually sat down and watched Star Wars for the first time in years. It really holds up, although Mark Hamill was a terrible actor. Although that may have been the material he was given--I had forgotten that they wrote him like a 14-year-old whereas Leia, the same age, is written as a mature adult. (Which is interesting because they were both in their twenties at the time, and least on their official bios, Hamill is 5 years older than Fisher).

Spartana
7-3-13, 12:31pm
I've watch quite a few movies on DVD during this week. Some good ("Life of Pi" - loved the Meerkats!!) some terrible ("Cloud Atlas" - which would have made a great sci-fi flick if they left out all the crazy past stuff and just focused on the futuristic "New Seoul" (gotta love those Fabricants) and the post-apocalyse world after "the Fall"). World War Z at the movies - which I loved. Brad Pitt, Zombies. What more could a girl ask for ;-)!

goldensmom
7-3-13, 1:25pm
Finally watched 'Lincoln' then, feeling nostalgic, I watched 'Romancing the Stone' and 'Jewel of the Nile'. Also, one very hot day last week I watched 'Eloise at Christmastime'. We saw 'Man of Steel' at the theater. It was a good movie if you don't expect a real 1960's superman or a Christopher Reeve superman-type movie. 'Dear Frankie' was recommended by a friend who really, really liked it and I didn't care for it.

Florence
7-3-13, 3:58pm
Has anyone seen Copperheads? I'm interested in seeing it but don't want to waste money going to see it at the theater if it isn't good.

treehugger
7-3-13, 7:00pm
'Dear Frankie' was recommended by a friend who really, really liked it and I didn't care for it.

I didn't like Dear Frankie, either. The whole premise of the mother lying to her son bothered me too much to enjoy the movie.

Just finished the second season of Game of Thrones this week and am looking forward to reading the 5th book (have requested the e-book version from the library; looks like there's a long wait). Watched Cedar Rapids last night and liked it. Slightly uneven, but still, good characters, good ending.

Kara

Tiam
7-7-13, 1:07am
A beautiful movie called Any Day Now. It was very good. Has anyone seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2066176/

iris lilies
7-7-13, 7:31am
A beautiful movie called Any Day Now. It was very good. Has anyone seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2066176/

Didn't see it but thanks for reminding me of it, I want to see it. I love Alan Cummings, and Garret Dillahunt is a multi-dimentional actor. Dillahunt plays a comedic role in a tv show, but he also is a fearsome bad guy. He was cast twice--as two different characters--in Deadwood.

iris lilies
7-7-13, 7:36am
...Watched Cedar Rapids last night and liked it. Slightly uneven, but still, good characters, good ending.

Kara

I watched Cedar Rapids and don't think I finished it. It wasn't entertaining enough to hold my attention, at least I remember starting and stopping it.

That's one of those film that got better reviews than it appeared to deserve in trailers and PR and I can see why. It was a slightly ironic comedy, but the writing wasn't really up to snuff. Wasn't Anne Heache in this? I seem to remember thinking that she's working very hard in this film to make it good, a little too hard.

AmeliaJane
7-7-13, 10:02am
In rewatch news, continued with Wall-E (first half still amazing, second part with humans didn't hold up as well) and The Avengers (which I liked more than I thought I would.) Watching the Avengers at home, I found I paid more attention to the characters, which will always be a strength of a Joss Whedon movie. They are doing more of the one-off character movies before the next big Avengers, and I hope they will have some of the Avengers turn up in each others' movies. I liked the interactions between them, which are a little different than when they are talking to the humans around them.

Also watched "Leap Year" which was a romantic comedy from maybe three years ago. Basically the premise is that Amy Adams goes to Ireland to propose to her boyfriend on February 29th, which is the one day when women can propose to men, because she's sick of waiting for him to take action. Because of bad weather, she ends up at the opposite end of Ireland from where her boyfriend is at a convention and has to get to Dublin in time for the 29th, with the help (of course) of a handsome Irishman. The first half of this was so dumb, and made everyone look so crazy, I was rolling my eyes (Why, after four years, can't she just ask her boyfriend what his plans are? Why can women only propose one day out of four years? Why are all the Irish characters so rude when she asks fairly simple questions like "Is there a bus to Dublin? or "Do you serve meals at this pub?"). But then when the road trip starts up, it becomes much more fun. Amy Adams, of course, is very hard to resist, the Irish actor is equally charming and has a gorgeous accent, and they have nice chemistry together. So I recommend making your dinner or doing the dusting during the first half of this movie, and then sitting down and watching once they get in the car.

SvenV
7-7-13, 5:05pm
Hello

Oh yes Battleship is a great one :)

Yesterday I saw Mrs. Doubtfire.... I know not the newest one, but I like it and it is really fun :)

Also very good is: We bought a Zoo and Moonrise Kingdom.

And don't forget this two classics: Fight Club and 12 Monkeys.

For more inspiration: http://e-njoy.us/movie-masterpieces/

goldensmom
7-7-13, 6:50pm
Also watched "Leap Year" which was a romantic comedy from maybe three years ago. .
We watched 'Leap Year' again last night....one of our favorite romantic comedies. Happy ending. Sure do like Amy Adams (Julie and Julia, Night at the Museum).

Florence
7-7-13, 6:58pm
I watched a sweet French film Le Havre yesterday. Good.

Tiam
7-7-13, 11:56pm
I posted in "Reviews" that I really liked the movie called "Any Day Now". Very good.

Tiam
7-13-13, 11:42pm
I watched a movie on On Demand called Amreeka that was quite good.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190858/

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc2NTU0MDA0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg1OTA4Mg@@._ V1_SX214_.jpg

Florence
7-14-13, 3:30pm
Another French film My Afternoons with Margueritte. Sweet, quiet film. Subtitled.

Spartana
7-14-13, 4:01pm
Hello

Oh yes Battleship is a great one :)

Yesterday I saw Mrs. Doubtfire.... I know not the newest one, but I like it and it is really fun :)

Also very good is: We bought a Zoo and Moonrise Kingdom.

And don't forget this two classics: Fight Club and 12 Monkeys.

For more inspiration: http://e-njoy.us/movie-masterpieces/Loved 12 Monkeys and fight club both. Two of my favorite movies. Loved the simple living anti consumer twist in fight Club. Brad Pitt wasn't too shabby either :-)

iris lilies
7-14-13, 4:13pm
I watched a movie on On Demand called Amreeka that was quite good.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190858/

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc2NTU0MDA0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg1OTA4Mg@@._ V1_SX214_.jpg

ye[, I liked that little film, too.

iris lilies
7-14-13, 4:17pm
I posted in "Reviews" that I really liked the movie called "Any Day Now". Very good.

I watched this last night and found it not so good. I could watch Alan Cumming recite the telephone book. But the writing of this thing was just--enh. Too much pathos, there was nothing insightful in it, and frankly, I had a hard time buying that those two men who met on day one were ready on day three to take care of a 15 year old Down's Syndrome child.

This film could have been much better.

AmeliaJane
7-14-13, 4:53pm
Despicable Me 2. Other than the Minions (little yellow guys), it was pretty much a generic kids' movie. But I consider the Minions worth the price of admission on their own, so I was perfectly happy. It just amazes me the expressiveness the animators manage to get out of giggling yellow capsules on legs...

Lainey
7-14-13, 8:44pm
I know I'm the last in the western world to have never watched the modern Batman movies, but I just saw most of "The Dark Knight Rises." While there's no question the special effects are fantastic, I miss the innocent Batman from TV days, with "villains" like the goofy Penguin.
The level of viciousness and gratuitous killings in the movie got to me, plus hearing a colleague say she allows her young kids to watch these - yikes.

ToomuchStuff
7-27-13, 11:25am
Went to a local damaged freight store, that I tend to get office supplies for work, from. They were having a surprise sale on orange tagged dvd's and bluerays. I picked up and watched the Hobbit for $3.75 and since it had both in it, one disc will probably stay at my parents for my niece and nephews, while the other will go home with them (brother wants to wait until the box set, but for that price he was excited).

It was better, to me, then LOTR, which I quickly lost interest in. I don't see how they are going to make three movies out of it though.
Also picked up a concert blueray of Cream, to play while doing housework. $2.50
I picked up a few weeks ago, a series I always wanted to see (same store, different sale), Band of Brothers, for $12. When done, I plan on trying one of those dvd exchanges, or a local store that buys them.

iris lilies
7-27-13, 11:35am
I'm racing through a few documentaries, those that got good ratings on Rotten Tomatoes:

Girl Model--about the model industry at a low level where young girls from naive families are recruited to work overseas and they usually end up owing their sponsoring company money. It was what I expected it to be and makes me wonder: how can the parents of these girls be SO greedy/clueless/idiotic to let their 15 year old daughters go, alone, to Japan to tramp around the city every day? The girls aren't even that pretty and even one of them I could tell wasn't model material, I think it's more about which set of parents are good for the $$$ that each girl will owe at the end of her contract.

Pink Ribbons--about the industry of raising money for breast caner, not a friendly view. IT's not surprising that this incredibly well funded and publicized effort now has organized backlash.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - about a sushi master in Japan who has a tiny restaurant that holds 10 people. It's the only place of its kind to earn 3 Michelin stars. It's not compelling, I've stopped in the middle of it, but it was ok and gets the message across to viewers. I was hoping it would be as good as I Like Killing Flies which was about a grungy, well-known tiny restaurant in New York City that had hundreds of things on their menu. That documentary was mesmerizing, for me, anyway.

iris lilies
7-27-13, 11:37am
I know I'm the last in the western world to have never watched the modern Batman movies, but I just saw most of "The Dark Knight Rises." While there's no question the special effects are fantastic, I miss the innocent Batman from TV days, with "villains" like the goofy Penguin.
The level of viciousness and gratuitous killings in the movie got to me, plus hearing a colleague say she allows her young kids to watch these - yikes.

I haven't watched any of the batman films, so I'm behind you. Just not interested although I might someday watch parts of the one with HEath Ledger's performance.

puglogic
7-30-13, 10:56pm
Oddly, I find myself in the middle of an X-Files marathon. It seems so campy, so cheesy now....but I can't stop watching. It's like cartoons.

Also watched "Warm Bodies" this week (an impulse 'buy' from the library) Teen movie, mind candy. Pretty young men and women doing idealistic things!

SvenV
7-30-13, 11:01pm
Loved 12 Monkeys and fight club both. Two of my favorite movies. Loved the simple living anti consumer twist in fight Club. Brad Pitt wasn't too shabby either :-)

I think in both he acts just awesome! He is a real great actor! And yes both movies are just great....

Also Burn After Reading is a great one! And there he also acts perfect!...

HappyHiker
8-3-13, 2:46pm
We're having an oldies fest...last night we watched Finding Forrester--a big thumbs up...Sean Connery in the role as a crusty famous novelist, now a hermit, mentoring a gifted ghetto kid on scholarship at a tony prep school against all odds. A feel good movie.

Tonight it's the original Men In Black...we'll see how it's stood the test of time.

Last week we viewed Dinner Rush--a fun romp about the son of a mafia man who takes over Dad's old time Italian eatery and turns it into a trendy bistro. Enjoyed this because it shows the snobbery of the NY foodies and food critics with rapier wit and finely-wrought portrayals.

Florence
8-7-13, 3:44pm
Searching for Sugarman

Never heard of Rodriguez? Me either. Google Sixto Rodriguez or better yet listen to his songs on You Tube. But then watch the DVD Searching for Sugarman on Netflix. Wow!! I was blown away by his music. The Bob Dillon that you never heard until now.

Rogar
8-8-13, 7:59am
I just finished watching "Rectify" season 1. It is the story of a man from Georgia who serves 20 years on death row, only to be let loose after DNA evidence shows he might be innocent (sound familiar). It is a character study without much action and a rather slow moving plot, but I thought it was good. On my rating scale for these types of serials, I'd put it about equal to Breaking Bad. The photography is excellent and you really start to see how messed up the poor fellow is from all those years in prison. Not your typical Hollywood style and the characters seem pretty real to life. It was not a happy series.

pinkytoe
8-8-13, 10:16am
We don't have cable but there is a new channel coming through on the rabbit ears called... The Movie Channel. Lots of great old ones non-stop all the way back to the 30s. My movie needs are met for now for free.

Lainey
9-1-13, 7:39pm
Just saw Woody Allen's new movie, "Blue Jasmine." Loosely based on Bernie Madoff's wife, Ruth. Tour de force for Cate Blanchett, and creative casting with comedian Andrew Dice Clay as another main character but in a non-comedic role.

Although I've avoided Woody Allen's movies ever since his creepy marriage to his step-daughter, this was pretty good.

iris lilies
9-1-13, 7:59pm
I watched the French film Amour which was nominated for an Academy Award in both the Best Film section and in the Best Foreign Film section.IT won best forein film.

It was slow to get started but was very, very beautiful and much was revealed on screen as though in slow motion. Stunning performances. I started out thinking "I won't be getting all the way through this" and then got sucked into it. It's about a well off French couple in their 80's. She has strokes and gets progressively worse and he takes care of her, and in doing that makes some unconventional choices. They live in an attractive old Paris apartment, and that was part of the attraction for me. There is lots of pretty symbolism in the film, and nice scoring with classical piano music since both of them were pianists.

I've now seen all of this year's Academy Award nominated films that I'm going to see (saw all but Les Miz) and Life of Pi is still my favorite with this Amour coming in around 2nd place. My least favorites were Argo and Zero Dark 30, but that doesn't mean that they were bad films.

iris lilies
9-1-13, 8:02pm
Just saw Woody Allen's new movie, "Blue Jasmine." Loosely based on Bernie Madoff's wife, Ruth. Tour de force for Cate Blanchett, and creative casting with comedian Andrew Dice Clay as another main character but in a non-comedic role.

Although I've avoided Woody Allen's movies ever since his creepy marriage to his step-daughter, this was pretty good.

The one about Paris and Matchpoint were very good, Matchpoint being not at all a Woody Allen type film.

AmeliaJane
9-1-13, 10:51pm
I have been in a bit of a movie mode lately:

Newish Movies: "What Maisie Knew" which is based on a Henry James novel of all things. I heard a terrific recommendation for this on NPR awhile back. It is about a child whose parents have an incredibly dysfunctional relationship with each other and her, and how she copes. I admit I originally watched it for cast member Alexander Skarsgard, who is my favorite thing about the series "True Blood" but it was just a really, really well-done film. The little girl who played the lead was amazing (it was her first film).

"42" the Jackie Robinson biopic. This was your standard feel-good biopic, but I still enjoyed it. Was in the mood for something uplifting, and baseball to boot.

Older Movies: I am continuing my "Summer Blockbusters" project after a vacation hiatus. Finished rewatching Terminator 2. Other than the 90s hair, it has held up well, even the effects. I had forgotten how annoying the child actor who played John Connor was, though. I also watched "The Muppet Movie" again, which was as fun as always.

pattirose
9-3-13, 2:40am
I've been in a foreign film mood lately. I used to love them when I was younger but have gotten away from them the past 10 years as I find it difficult to see the subtitles without reading glasses and I hate watching tv with glasses. Now I have a big 47" tv so I am back watching them again. Here's a few I've watched lately:
Where Do We go From Here? - (Persian) heart warming story about women banding together to save the men in their village
A Separation - (Persian) a middle eastern film about a couple and their daughter
The Stoning of Soraya M - (Persian) the title pretty much says it all, it's very sad but worth watching
Incendies (French) I loved the play so I wanted to see the movie which wasn't as good but still interesting
My Joy - (Russian) - beautiful scenery but a very sad depressing movie, I have no idea why it's called "My Joy" as there is no joy anywhere
Salsa Televiv - (Spanish and Hebrew) - a light romantic comedy that managed to keep my interest until the end
Kaddish for a Friend (German) - really really good story about a friendship between a young teen and an older retired man
Burnt by the Sun - (Russian) beautiful scenery with interesting characters, I really loved it

pattirose
9-3-13, 2:42am
Another French film My Afternoons with Margueritte. Sweet, quiet film. Subtitled.

Great movie - I loved it!

pattirose
9-3-13, 2:51am
I've been wanting to see that one.

Quartet is fabulous and one of the best movies I've seen this year, Billy Connolly was magnificent! I have Tosca's Kiss sitting here on loan from the library and I haven't watched it yet, it's the real life Quartet.

AmeliaJane
9-3-13, 9:40am
I finished up the weekend with "Warm Bodies." Very sweet for a movie about zombie romance! The young man who plays the lead zombie (very well) was the little boy in "About a Boy" with Hugh Grant, for those with long memories. It's always nice to see child actors moving on to good adult roles...

iris lilies
9-3-13, 9:58am
I've been in a foreign film mood lately. I used to love them when I was younger but have gotten away from them the past 10 years as I find it difficult to see the subtitles without reading glasses and I hate watching tv with glasses. Now I have a big 47" tv so I am back watching them again. Here's a few I've watched lately:
Where Do We go From Here? - (Persian) heart warming story about women banding together to save the men in their village
A Separation - (Persian) a middle eastern film about a couple and their daughter
The Stoning of Soraya M - (Persian) the title pretty much says it all, it's very sad but worth watching
Incendies (French) I loved the play so I wanted to see the movie which wasn't as good but still interesting
My Joy - (Russian) - beautiful scenery but a very sad depressing movie, I have no idea why it's called "My Joy" as there is no joy anywhere
Salsa Televiv - (Spanish and Hebrew) - a light romantic comedy that managed to keep my interest until the end
Kaddish for a Friend (German) - really really good story about a friendship between a young teen and an older retired man
Burnt by the Sun - (Russian) beautiful scenery with interesting characters, I really loved it

I've seen many of those you name above. The Stoning of Soraya M was haunting, was was Incendies. Incendies was amazing in concept, and while you had to suspend disbelief in the laws of coincidence, it was worth it if you did. Both had a lot of impact on me.

I watched A Royal Wedding this weekend, about Danish Queen Caroline, married to a crazy man, and her physician lover. I didn't think it was all that great, but it gave insight into the Danish royal household which I didn't know anything about.

I am currently watching The Other Son about Israeli and Palestine young men switched at birth into wrong families.

I don't know why I've missed Burnt by the Sun after all of these years. I keep seeing it on recommended lists and I will have to watch it!