PDA

View Full Version : Clematis experts please advise!!

earthshepherd
2-5-11, 12:34pm
My dear friend, who just died last week from cancer, assigned me a task for one of her daughter's weddings this May. (two of her daughters are getting married in the next few months.) I am supposed to buy two white clematis, in pots, large enough to be blooming at the end of May (this year!) However, when I research "buy large potted clematis" online, I find that flower companies only seem to ship bareroots or 2-yr old vines in pots. How can I find an older vine in a pot that will have blooms on it this year? Gardening superheroes to the rescue please!! :confused:

Gina
2-5-11, 1:01pm
I would start calling local nurseries and ask if they have what you want. If not, ask if they can order them from their usual suppliers, or at least tell you where to look next.

If you run out of leads in your own community, you might want to call nurseries in your nearest larger city.

CathyA
2-5-11, 1:13pm
I agree with Gina. The different nurseries seem to have different types of clematis every year, but they might have white ones or could order one. But its pretty iffy being sure of blooms at a very specific time......especially on a young potted plant. That's quite an assignment! I wonder if you could also ask several big florists, if they could somehow construct a white clematis vine?? It wouldn't be the actual plant, but it might look like it. I'm not even sure how long clematis last off the vine, but sometimes florists can work wonders. I have about 8 clematis vines, but I never tried cutting them for fresh flowers.
Good luck Earthshepherd!

CathyA
2-5-11, 1:48pm
Here's another thought Earthshepherd.......
There's a clematis forum on Gardenweb.com that might have more suggestions for you.
Here's a link to the page:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/clematis/
(sorry if I can't turn it into a link).
Also, they are having trouble with their log-in so it might be a challenge getting in to ask a question, but its a good, knowledgeable site.

earthshepherd
2-5-11, 1:52pm
Thanks, Gina, I am calling around today to see what I can find out. and -- I thought of that, Cathy. I have a huge white clematis that will be in bloom at the right time -- which is why I got the assignment, I think! I cut pieces from it to decorate at my own daughter's wedding two years ago, and they were gorgeous.

I thought of maybe creating a vine-look from several long, cut pieces of vines planted down into decorative pots with water tubes on the ends. I could then give the bride an actual plant to put in her yard, but still be assured of a beautiful display for the wedding. It's for the front of the church: two blooming white clematis vines, in pots, on either side of the stage. I am pretty sure I could "fake" it with my own clematis vine cuts and water tubes, but I want to try to find the real thing first. It helps to have some other gardeners' opinions! Thanks!

just saw the link Cathy -- great, thanks.

CathyA
2-5-11, 3:17pm
Ellen, did the ones you cut for your DD's wedding hold up very long? I've just never cut them.
I was going to post a pic of a white one I have, but can't get the picture thing working here. Its "Miss Bateman" and is pure white with dark purple stamens.
You might want to be sure you get ones that flower then. The different kinds of clematis can flower at different times........but you probably know that.
I think the idea of working some of the blooms into a vine is a great idea.

Gina
2-5-11, 7:35pm
I don't know if it would be helpful, but a site I've used for roses is helpmefind.com They specialize in roses, clematis, and I think Peonia. I've used them for help in id'ing roses and other info, but not in purchasing anything. But there might be info there if you run out of places to look.

http://www.helpmefind.com/clematis/index.php

iris lily
2-5-11, 10:06pm
You guys have pretty much covered the options. Clematis, when they bloom, are gorgeous. I've picked them for flower arrangements and if kept hydrated they will last long enough for your purpose. I think that putting them in tubes and winding them in amoung viney grennery is an excellent idea, something I would do.

earthshepherd
2-6-11, 7:31am
I really appreciate the comments. I have figured it out!

In consultation with the wedding flower guy (doesn't every wedding have a flower guy?), we are going to order 3-yr vines, have our local greenhouse grow them until May in large decorative pots on trellises, and then do the water-tube vine additions, wound around the trellises, so there will be a lot of flowers in the display. I think this will work! yay!

CathyA
2-6-11, 9:25am
Good job Ellen!