PDA

View Full Version : Kindness In The News...

Tussiemussies
10-14-12, 4:59am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/13/13-year-old-alexi-catelli_n_1962439.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news

13 year old boy walks through snowstorm to save his classmates on broken down bus...

Mrs-M
10-14-12, 2:52pm
Don't stories like this warm your heart! Of course, happy endings are always the best, too!

peggy
10-14-12, 4:55pm
Hmm, well, it sounds good. But it just doesn't pass the smell test IMO.
First of all, where were these kids parents? I mean, they were stuck for 6 hours? Don't' you think at least one of those kids parents would have called the school by about the 2nd hour, and the school would send out someone looking for them? School buses don't just wander around hoping to find a kid. They have a regular route, and the school knows that route. And actually, by calling the parents on that route, it shouldn't be too hard to even figure out generally where they could have gotten stranded/left the route. And really, in Manitoba, I'm guessing at least ONE parent would have snow vehicles of some kind, if not the majority of them.
And where was that house? If he could carry the little ones there to go to the bathroom, then they weren't exactly stranded in the wilderness as the article kind of suggests. And these little kids didn't need to go to the bathroom for 6 hours? Not any little kid I know of! And where was the bus driver? Getting a smoke while all these heroics were going on? Melting snow to fill a water bottle? Couldn't they have simply asked the homeowner to give them some water, or let them fill their bottles?

Here is my take on it, and of course I'm just guessing. They got stuck, the bus driver tried to get them out, his cell wouldn't work, so he told 'Johnny' to 'go to that house' and see if we can use their phone. Johnny goes, calls for help, then the homeowners say, 'why don't you bring the little kids here to use the bathroom and maybe get a drink of water'
The whole story kind of reads like a junior high class paper of 'my adventure'. Whoever wrote it sure has an imagination, but needs to work on details a bit more.

Gregg
10-15-12, 10:24am
I'm with you peggy. Not to mention that snowstorms don't affect cell phone coverage and any group of teens will have several of those to choose from. At least there was a happy ending...

BayouGirl
10-15-12, 7:47pm
I am equally confused. It makes a nice story but if a school bus went missing and couldn't be found in the US, there would be a massive search on foot, by horse, 4 wheeler, the air or whatever it took. So I'm not understanding why there was no search party or anyone aware of the bus not dropping kids off safely. I'll save further comment until we get more details but this just doesn't sound right.