PDA

View Full Version : Hoard your Twinkies

CathyA
11-16-12, 8:03am
The Hostess company is going out of business. Doesn't affect me, but if you're attached to ding dongs or twinkies, you might want to pick up a few dozen. :~)

Blackdog Lin
11-16-12, 8:26am
Haven't had one in years and years.....but it is just sad to me to imagine a world without Twinkies. The nostalgia factor, I suppose.

Rogar
11-16-12, 8:50am
Could be something to pass on the grandkids. I think they have a shelf life of about 70 years.

Florence
11-16-12, 8:52am
I don't suppose that it will make much of a difference in the amount of junk food that people eat, but I'm glad all the Hostess cupcakes, Twinkies, and Wonder bread will be gone. It is a shame that all the workers will be out of work.

ToomuchStuff
11-16-12, 9:25am
Could be something to pass on the grandkids. I think they have a shelf life of about 70 years.

ROTFLMAO

This makes me think of some animated show that was playing at a relatives house the other day, when I went over to find out about Thanksgiving. They were headed to a twinkee factory, since it and cockroaches were the two things that would survive a nuclear war.

Alan
11-16-12, 9:44am
That was Family Guy.

catherine
11-16-12, 9:55am
Haven't had one in years and years.....but it is just sad to me to imagine a world without Twinkies. The nostalgia factor, I suppose.

That's exactly what I told DH when he informed me of this this morning!

What's next? Drake's Cakes??? Little Debbie??? Oh, what a world, what a world!

Gregg
11-16-12, 11:36am
Is it even legal to hold state fairs without fried twinkies???

goldensmom
11-16-12, 11:49am
Has the decision been made? When I last listened to the news this morning the company hadn't yet made an announcement. I have't had a 'Twinkie' in over 40 years but I can't imagine a childhood, a world without 'Twinkies'. It gives me a nostalgic feeling just seeing them near a conveneince store check out. What next, 'Banana Flips'?

ApatheticNoMore
11-16-12, 11:53am
"Good riddence", I think. Not really a part of my childhood, though yea I've had them before, decades ago, and the cupcakes. Sweet and edible for a kid, but really aweful stuff.

Square Peg
11-16-12, 12:16pm
My husband and I made our wedding cake out of Twinkies. We were so happy because instead of freezing a top layer, we knew we could always enjoy our wedding cake in any convenience store. Many times we split one on our anniversary. And now, they will vanish. *sniff*

bunnys
11-16-12, 2:59pm
Read an article on this today. They plan on selling off the "brand" along with the remainder of their assets. I believe you may see a period where they aren't available but then they will come back (using the recipes they also sold) produced by another company--maybe they'll still call it Hostess.

From what I read, sounds like a stunt to break the union--which they've apparently done--at the same time they cut off their nose to spite their face.

decemberlov
11-16-12, 3:07pm
From what I read, sounds like a stunt to break the union--which they've apparently done--at the same time they cut off their nose to spite their face.

Absolutely, and what a shame! In this day and age you should be thankful you have a job IMO.

bunnys
11-16-12, 3:08pm
Absolutely, and what a shame! In this day and age you should be thankful you have a job IMO.

That's what the owners want you to think. Then you'll be too scared to fight (or think there's an option for you to walk) if they try and give you the shaft.

Spartana
11-16-12, 4:18pm
Ho-Hos! My Kingdom for some Ho-Hos!! I guess I better stock up before it all goes away.

On an episode of Family Guy (gee I'm watching that alot these days) the entire world suffered some kind of apocalyptic disaster (12/21/12 maybe?) and the only thing that survived, besides the cockroaches, was the Twinkie Factory and all the Twinkies. Apparently they will be the survival food for post-apocalyptic world!

""Da Boom"
Original Air Date: 12/26/99
Peter is paranoid about the end of the world and makes the family cancel all their New Year's Eve '99 plans. For once, he is right about something: On January 1st, 2000, bombs destroy every structure in the world, except for a surprisingly sturdy Twinkie factory. The Griffins set out to find the factory, but along the way Stewie is kidnapped by a band of mutants"

IshbelRobertson
11-16-12, 4:23pm
Not a British thing. Now, if it was Tunnock's caramel wafers?!

Spartana
11-16-12, 4:26pm
Is it even legal to hold state fairs without fried twinkies???

Yep, without the chocolate covered, deep fried, andbacon wrapped Twinkies what's the point of even HAVING a fair?

Spartana
11-16-12, 4:29pm
My husband and I made our wedding cake out of Twinkies. We were so happy because instead of freezing a top layer, we knew we could always enjoy our wedding cake in any convenience store. Many times we split one on our anniversary. And now, they will vanish. *sniff*

I make my Birthday cake out of Ho-Hos. A bottom layer of three Ho-Hos, then a layer of vanilla ice cream , then a top layer of three ho-hos, vanilla buttercream icing and hot fudge sauce. It's all low fat, low calorie and 100% vegan of course :-)

SteveinMN
11-16-12, 4:44pm
Twinkies are great for making "candy sushi":

http://i46.tinypic.com/99e3p2.jpg

So now Twinkies will be gone (for a while). It's been pretty hard to find green fruit rollups, too, for the "seaweed" wrapping. Not like it was nutritionally sound, but there's nothing wrong with having fun with your food, and candy sushi certainly was fun (in limited doses).

CathyA
11-16-12, 5:01pm
I'm getting hungry...........

freein05
11-16-12, 5:35pm
Sounds like a Bain Capital type move. The owners will probably come out fat and happy.

Miss Cellane
11-16-12, 6:18pm
Nnnnnnoooooooooo! Not the Twinkies!

I've been putting two boxes of them into my monthly care packages to Afghanistan. Little Debbie cakes are not going to be as well received.

Myself, I haven't had one in decades. But this is the end of an era.

Tussiemussies
11-16-12, 6:23pm
Nnnnnnoooooooooo! Not the Twinkies!

I've been putting two boxes of them into my monthly care packages to Afghanistan. Little Debbie cakes are not going to be as well received.

Myself, I haven't had one in decades. But this is the end of an era.

It does seem like an end of an era, although I don't care for their items, seems as though they have been around forever. Sign of the times...

Alan
11-16-12, 7:07pm
If you saw Twinkie The Kid, the giant creme-filled sponge cake who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood, creme filling running down his chest, his cakey knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater the effort the heavier the world bore down upon his squishy shoulders -- what would you tell him to do?

1052 (click for larger image)

Blackdog Lin
11-16-12, 7:42pm
hee hee Alan - love the analogy. Would he shrug? DID he shrug?

Like I said before, haven't had one in many years, but of course I now find myself craving one. Don't care about Ho-Ho's, or cream-filled cupcakes.....but could sure go for a Twinkie right about now.

CathyA
11-16-12, 8:39pm
Twinkies sort of remind me of wedding cake, which I like. I like the ones that are covered with something like raspberry and coconut. but then again, I'm not very particular when it comes to pastries. (and I use that term loosely with respect to Hostess stuff).

JaneV2.0
11-16-12, 9:19pm
I remember some kind of Twinkie with raspberry stripes. Was that Hostess, or something else? And little slab sandwiches of devil's food cake with hydrogenated white goo in the center--best eaten cold out of the vending machine at work. Ah, nostalgia...There are restaurants that make their own, sponge cake with piped-in cream filling, and there are recipes on-line should anyone become desperate.

pony mom
11-16-12, 10:02pm
OH NO!!!!! That means the marshallow/coconut Snowballs will be history too!! Now I'm sad. Nothing like taking a bite and having the marshmallow coating stretch and then snap back, scattering coconut.

On the History Channel is a program called After People that shows what will happen to the earth when people are gone. The Twinkies and cockroaches were fine years and years later.

goldensmom
11-16-12, 10:03pm
I remember some kind of Twinkie with raspberry stripes.
Ohhhh, no more Raspberry Zingers? It didn't even occur to me that there would no longer be Zingers, my favorite birthday treat. I can pass on the Twinkies but no Zingers?? Now I AM depressed.

SteveinMN
11-16-12, 10:35pm
Drake's Cakes -- Yodels, Devil Dogs, Funny Bones, and Ring Dings -- are going, then, too. Well, unless someone picks up at least some of the brands, which I think is quite likely. Not like I miss them; I haven't eaten any of that stuff in decades (well, except candy sushi Twinkies). But it's one more part of childhood gone, possibly never to return.

Square Peg
11-16-12, 11:17pm
I remember some kind of Twinkie with raspberry stripes. Was that Hostess, or something else? And little slab sandwiches of devil's food cake with hydrogenated white goo in the center--best eaten cold out of the vending machine at work. Ah, nostalgia...There are restaurants that make their own, sponge cake with piped-in cream filling, and there are recipes on-line should anyone become desperate.

Yes, those were Twinkies, but they were strawberry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws9z-axq17I

rosarugosa
11-17-12, 6:37am
I'm sorry that this company is closing and so many employees are losing their jobs, but I'm not grieving the loss of any of these products. So many of the folks on this forum are great cooks; I'm sure many could make a twinkie-like dessert that would actually be delicious. I had a "Ring Ding" for dessert at a wonderful restaurant in Portland a few years ago and it was amazing!

CathyA
11-17-12, 9:13am
ponymom.........I had totally forgotten about those snowballs! I used to eat them when I was a kid (I would eat anything), and actually, they were sort of gross. That covering was sort of like skin. Yuk.

Miss Cellane
11-17-12, 9:30am
For a while, there were chocolate Twinkies. They were called Choco-Bliss. Chocolate cake, with chocolate cream in the center and a chocolate coating. Well, probably choco-flavored.

One of my brothers loved these, and when he was stationed outside the US, I had to ship him boxes and boxes of the things.

HappyHiker
11-17-12, 10:42am
Sure, there IS a nostalgia factor...but those "food-like substances" (as called by Michael Pollan for things we eat but are not real foods) had no nutritive value and were concoctions of chemicals. Good riddance, I say.

Spartana
11-17-12, 4:31pm
I actually went out last night to buy some Ho-Hos and everything Hostess was gone. Bought out in droves from what I'm hearing. Seems people are buying out all the stores with plans to sell them on e-Bay at huge costs. What would you pay for a rare Twinkie? $1? $10? $100? Ah, supply and demand economics - ya gotta love it! My sister's B-Day was a couple of days ago and I bought he her favorite snack - orange flavored Hostess cupcakes - but they are already sold out of those too.

Spartana
11-17-12, 4:38pm
Twinkies do have one small side effect though:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1053&d=1353188243

JaneV2.0
11-17-12, 6:22pm
Here's a recipe, for those suffering withdrawal:
http://leitesculinaria.com/71100/recipes-homemade-twinkies.html

The inventor of Twinkies--James A. Dewar--who reportedly ate two of the little confections a day, every day, lived to be 88, btw.

Aaack! Those devil's-food sandwich thingies are made by Hostess, too. Suzy-Qs. I guess it's too late for me to find some chilling in a vending machine somewhere to enjoy for old times' sake...

Alan
11-17-12, 7:08pm
Aaack! Those devil's-food sandwich thingies are made by Hostess, too. Suzy-Qs. I guess it's too late for me to find some chilling in a vending machine somewhere to enjoy for old times' sake...

When I was in high school, I had a Suzy Q every day. I loved them!
Tried one for old times sake a few years ago and hated it. The sentimental side of me will miss them but I don't think I'd ever have another even if they were available.

JaneV2.0
11-17-12, 7:22pm
That's good to hear, Alan. Kind of like revisiting romances past, I suppose.

SteveinMN
11-17-12, 8:13pm
That's good to hear, Alan. Kind of like revisiting romances past, I suppose.
I'm going to guess Hostess likely has made a few changes to the recipe since then, and probably not for the good.

JaneV2.0
11-17-12, 8:19pm
No doubt. It's been probably thirty years since I ate one. Or a Twinkie, for that matter.

jp1
11-22-12, 10:59am
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/hostess-brands-says-it-will-liquidate/

Buried in the middle of this article is a brief paragraph that the current equity capital company saddled it with $860m in debt. No wonder they're out of business. Now they'll sell the brand for a fortune and the new owners will begun making non-union twinkies with minimum wage workers.

Mrs-M
11-22-12, 12:30pm
Originally posted by Florence.
I'm glad all the Hostess cupcakes, Twinkies, and Wonder bread will be gone.Me, too. Chemical poison. Maybe if Hostess, had taken a more proactive approach to improving their chemical laden products, they wouldn't have met such a demise. Products, that have a short novel of ingredients, shouldn't be allowed on store shelves.

SteveinMN
11-22-12, 2:44pm
the current equity capital company saddled it with $860m in debt. No wonder they're out of business.
These exemplary business leaders also voted themselves raises of up to 80% while they were slowly killing the company. Yet there are some who treat people like that as heroes because they "created" jobs. smh

Tussiemussies
11-22-12, 3:27pm
Steve I read that one person gave themself a raise of 300% and the executives raises of 80-100%.

Alan
11-22-12, 4:22pm
These exemplary business leaders also voted themselves raises of up to 80% while they were slowly killing the company. Yet there are some who treat people like that as heroes because they "created" jobs. smh
Sounds to me like the company was dying and the top folks set themselves up with a one time separation package before heading off to bankruptcy and unemployment. That's what I would have done while I still had the chance.

jp1
11-22-12, 6:31pm
If we had decent bankruptcy laws those execs would have to line up for payment behind every other creditor, considering that it was these same execs who took on nearly $1B in debt for the company.

awakenedsoul
11-22-12, 6:51pm
When I was five years old, my mom used to pack a ding dong in my lunch for dessert. Oh how I loved those! Full of chemicals, but so delicious! A lot of the popular packaged foods back then were complete junk food. I remember opening it so carefully and the delicious taste of that fake whipped cream and waxy chocolate!

Lainey
11-23-12, 2:12pm
If we had decent bankruptcy laws those execs would have to line up for payment behind every other creditor, considering that it was these same execs who took on nearly $1B in debt for the company.

yep, the company was "Romney-ized."

Alan
11-23-12, 2:21pm

yep, the company was "Romney-ized."Interestingly, the company came out of a previous bankruptcy with the vast majority of that debt, I believe about $700M. It was taken over about that time by a private equity company which specialized in turning around troubled, unionized companies. I don't think there's any evidence that executive salaries had anything to do with their underlying problems, which seemed to be related more to a changing consumer demographic and long term labor liabilities.

freein05
11-23-12, 2:21pm
yep, the company was "Romney-ized."

Romney-ized is one big reason why we are loosing US companies. The equity fund owners make their millions by taking on large amounts of debt and than forcing the company into BK. The owners take millions of dollars out of the company so it is a win win for the owners and a lose for the employees and debt holders. The bankruptcy laws need to be change to prevent this. People like Romney have this figured out and have millions of dollars using our lax bankruptcy laws.

Alan this was robbery nothing more or less.

Alan
11-23-12, 2:26pm
People like Romney have this figured out and have millions of dollars using our lax bankruptcy laws.

Alan this was robbery nothing more or less.Oh, I don't know about that. Would it change your opinion to know that the private equity company was founded and run by a major Democratic donor?

Lainey
11-23-12, 2:28pm

Amazing how these execs always - always - escape in a golden parachute.

bunnys
11-23-12, 4:26pm
I understand that when Hostess first went into bankruptcy their total debt was about 1/2 of what it was once the venture capitalists came in and straightened everything out. By the time it came out of bankruptcy its debt had doubled.

Democrat or Republican is irrelevant. Vulture capitalists are vulture capitalists. I have heard of too many examples like this to believe their goal is in the best interest of the company, owners, employees and the economy as a whole. Their goal is to harvest value from struggling companies and the rest of the players be damned.

bunnys
11-23-12, 4:29pm
Sounds to me like the company was dying and the top folks set themselves up with a one time separation package before heading off to bankruptcy and unemployment. That's what I would have done while I still had the chance.

Not me. I would have thought about the 18500 employees who had made their life's work making twinkies and ding dongs (yes, I know that sounds preposterous) and made damn sure their weren't left hanging high and dry in their twilight years.

SteveinMN
11-23-12, 6:14pm

Not me. I would have thought about the 18500 employees who had made their life's work making twinkies and ding dongs (yes, I know that sounds preposterous) and made damn sure their weren't left hanging high and dry in their twilight years.
bunnys, you will never be a success in 21st-century America if you keep thinking about the people in companies who are actually productive.>8) The money is in joining the good ol' boys and girls club on Mahogany Row and voting yourself great pay and benefits that have almost nothing to do with the performance of the company you're supposed to be leading. And then moving on to the next company (that must be what they mean by "job creation") to do it again.

I know they've said the U.S. is moving to a "service" economy. I just wish the definition of "service" was the one that means working to help people, rather than the meaning which is related to mating animals.

freein05
11-23-12, 6:21pm
Oh, I don't know about that. Would it change your opinion to know that the private equity company was founded and run by a major Democratic donor?

No! Money blood suckers are made by the same god.

Mrs-M
11-23-12, 6:28pm
Like, Bunnys. I'd never be a success, either.

P.S. You said it better than I ever could, SteveinMN! You captured it perfectly!

jp1
11-24-12, 11:03am
I guess i'll never be a success either. I would rather be able to continue looking at myself in the mirror each morning.

dmc
11-24-12, 12:57pm
I don't understand why in these situations that the unions and their members just don't buy the company's themselves. Then they can set their own pay.

freein05
11-24-12, 1:08pm
I don't understand why in these situations that the unions and their members just don't buy the company's themselves. Then they can set their own pay.

It is simple the unions do not have the access to Wall Street blood suckers. I wonder how many bond holders are also loosing in this deal. The owners of a company that they drive into bankruptcy should also have to have some skin in the game and take a hit.

Alan
11-24-12, 1:29pm
I don't understand why in these situations that the unions and their members just don't buy the company's themselves. Then they can set their own pay.I believe the unions were offered a 25% stake in the company during recent negotiations. I'm not sure why they didn't take it but I'd have to think that the unions are not in the business of putting themselves on the liability side of any equation. Liability is for suckers.

Mrs-M
11-24-12, 1:39pm
Originally posted by Jp1.
I guess i'll never be a success either. I would rather be able to continue looking at myself in the mirror each morning.There sure aren't many of us left in this world, today.

jp1
11-24-12, 6:32pm
I believe the unions were offered a 25% stake in the company during recent negotiations. I'm not sure why they didn't take it but I'd have to think that the unions are not in the business of putting themselves on the liability side of any equation. Liability is for suckers.

After looking at what managememt had done to the financials and management pay scale they pronably dis come to that conclusion.

bunnys
11-24-12, 8:13pm
Wait a minute. Hadn't the vulture capitalists just run up nearly a billion $ in debt for Hostess and hadn't Hostess been mismanaged for years and already been in at least one bankruptcy before this 25% stake in the company was offered? And hadn't the consumption of Hostess snack cakes dropped by double percentage points in recent years?

If I were the workers I wouldn't want a 25% stake in the company, either. Now if they gave the workers 51% and control of the company so that they could have actually turned the company around, that would be a different story. But 25% and the same bad managers? No thanks.

Alan
11-24-12, 8:44pm
Wait a minute. Hadn't the vulture capitalists just run up nearly a billion $ in debt for Hostess and hadn't Hostess been mismanaged for years and already been in at least one bankruptcy before this 25% stake in the company was offered? And hadn't the consumption of Hostess snack cakes dropped by double percentage points in recent years?

If I were the workers I wouldn't want a 25% stake in the company, either. Now if they gave the workers 51% and control of the company so that they could have actually turned the company around, that would be a different story. But 25% and the same bad managers? No thanks.
Actually, the bakers union overplayed it's hand, so much so that the Teamsters union publicly called them on it. http://washingtonexaminer.com/teamsters-v.-afl-cio-v.-twinkies/article/2513676#.ULF14Rgo6t8 It's a shame really. One group, representing less than a third of the total workforce, shut down operations in the mistaken belief that a buyer was waiting in the wings.

jp1
11-25-12, 10:29am
I suppose We could quibble all day over whether the union demands or the Vulture's imposition of debt destroyed the company. The part i really wonder about is who are these suckers that keep lending money to the vultures to begin with.

creaker
11-25-12, 12:01pm
Actually, the bakers union overplayed it's hand, so much so that the Teamsters union publicly called them on it. http://washingtonexaminer.com/teamsters-v.-afl-cio-v.-twinkies/article/2513676#.ULF14Rgo6t8 It's a shame really. One group, representing less than a third of the total workforce, shut down operations in the mistaken belief that a buyer was waiting in the wings.

I find it doubtful that the company would have ever found its way back to profitability. I think they were hoping for union concessions to give them a couple more years to pick at the bones before they decided to go belly up.

In the the big scheme of things, I doubt consumption of bread and snack cakes is going to plummet just because Hostess went out of business. It will just be made by someone else - and possibly under the same names for anyone willing to buy the rights.

Alan
11-25-12, 1:15pm
I find it doubtful that the company would have ever found its way back to profitability. I think they were hoping for union concessions to give them a couple more years to pick at the bones before they decided to go belly up.

In the the big scheme of things, I doubt consumption of bread and snack cakes is going to plummet just because Hostess went out of business. It will just be made by someone else - and possibly under the same names for anyone willing to buy the rights.There are so many factors which come into play in a situation like this it's hard to say what could have been, although I'd find it hard to believe that "picking the bones" was ever a strategy. Adding value is where the real money is and I'd think that was the ultimate goal. To do that, it's necessary to expand your market and control your expenses. Seems to me that neither of those requirements came to pass.

bae
11-25-12, 1:27pm
It is simple the unions do not have the access to Wall Street blood suckers.

That's quite difficult to believe. Every time I have contacted the Wall Street "blood suckers" I've usually had my phone call returned the same day. Unions should have no trouble at all arranging creative deals.

creaker
11-25-12, 1:41pm
There are so many factors which come into play in a situation like this it's hard to say what could have been, although I'd find it hard to believe that "picking the bones" was ever a strategy. Adding value is where the real money is and I'd think that was the ultimate goal. To do that, it's necessary to expand your market and control your expenses. Seems to me that neither of those requirements came to pass.

I guess it depends on whose value you're talking about - I doubt executives giving themselves 80% raises when company debt was already excessive was intended to boost value of the company. But I expect it improved their own bottom lines.

Alan
11-25-12, 4:18pm
I guess it depends on whose value you're talking about - I doubt executives giving themselves 80% raises when company debt was already excessive was intended to boost value of the company. But I expect it improved their own bottom lines.I was of course talking about measurable value rather than philosophical values. Although not mutually exclusive, they are not the same. Taking offense at executive salaries is a side distraction, having little to do with the bottom line in a company of that size.

jp1
11-25-12, 5:43pm
If the execs weren't picking the bones when they gave themselves big raises then surely we cant acuse the union of "overplaying their hand". Perhaps they figured that if the execs
Deserved such big raises sunny times were just around the corner for the company due to the, ahem, astute management being exhibited.

freein05
11-25-12, 8:05pm
That's quite difficult to believe. Every time I have contacted the Wall Street "blood suckers" I've usually had my phone call returned the same day. Unions should have no trouble at all arranging creative deals.

That is because you may be one of the type of people they court (ones with money). I wonder who they sold debt to? They will now lose money because of the bankruptcy. Are they individuals, funds, banks, etc. Where do these leaches find people dumb enough to invest in their folly.