PDA

View Full Version : List Your Current Holy Grails

heydude
12-13-12, 12:46am
What are the Current Holy Grails You are In Search of?

Which ones did you recently find?

am searching for:
computer to hdtv connection
chopper mittens
safety razor
desk chair

recently found:
hdtv 26in

Tiam
12-13-12, 1:02am
Mine? financial independence.

bae
12-13-12, 1:04am
Comfortable structural firefighting boots.

The perfect onion ring/chocolate milkshake.

try2bfrugal
12-13-12, 1:15am
Recently bought -

LED bulbs that use less than 10 watts of electricity each and cost less than $20 each.
A clock radio with an iPod docking station. The iPod plays a fan noise from the iTunes store all night long. It is cheaper than running a real fan for white noise.
An electric wok that uses much less electricity to cook food than a wok on the stove.
More motion sensor lights. Many of our lights now go on and off as we walk around the house without having to turn them on. It is great for the dog.
On at dusk lights for inside. For security and the dog when we come home late and it is dark outside.

Searching for
Stocking stuffers for the kids. Stuff they will really use instead of novelty items that end up in the landfill when Christmas is over.

peggy
12-13-12, 8:37am
An effective way to keep coons out of my bird feeders.

KayLR
12-13-12, 9:02am

Have you tried adding cayenne or red pepper flakes to your seed? The birds don't mind it at all, but the squirrels here, at least, don't come back.

CathyA
12-13-12, 9:10am
Bae........I hope the onion ring and milkshake are separate items? :~)

CathyA
12-13-12, 9:11am
Lots of things that AREN'T from China..............

iris lily
12-13-12, 9:13am
None right now. I just finished a 4 month long obsession with jewelry that resulted in a purchase of a diamond ring enhancer for my engagement ring. This is unusual for me, not a jewelry girl.

Gregg
12-13-12, 9:40am
A Christmas gift for DD & SIL. They just got married this summer so were buried in new bobbles. The only things they need for their house now cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I paid for the wedding so feel they've already had a pretty good year. I wonder if they got a Crock Pot...?

Mrs. Hermit
12-13-12, 9:50am
Nice looking comfortable shoes that fit problem feet!
A part time (until I finish school) job...in my new field....within reasonable commuting distance....
shuttle sticks for my loom-the ones I need are a hard-to-find size

CathyA
12-13-12, 11:51am

Peggy..........I bought a pole and coon baffle from Wild Birds Unlimited and it always worked to keep coons and squirrels out of it.......but you can't put it close to a tree.

bae
12-13-12, 1:31pm
Bae........I hope the onion ring and milkshake are separate items? :~)

No, no. I'm looking for the Platonic ideal of an American diner, and order both :-). The best so far was some hole-in-the-wall place in the Yukon.

peggy
12-13-12, 2:24pm
Have you tried adding cayenne or red pepper flakes to your seed? The birds don't mind it at all, but the squirrels here, at least, don't come back.

I have. I even got some pepper suet pellets you mix with the seed, but they just pick around that. I did see a squirrel on the deck railing near the feeder just panting. I went out there and got about a foot away from him and he just sat there looking extremely confused and distressed! On the deck was a wad of pink, kind of like a wad of chewing gum. LOL

peggy
12-13-12, 2:26pm
Peggy..........I bought a pole and coon baffle from Wild Birds Unlimited and it always worked to keep coons and squirrels out of it.......but you can't put it close to a tree.

I'll have to check that out. My feeders are on my back deck off the kitchen hanging on a little metal three legged plant stand. I'll look into the baffle and see if it will work. Thanks.

peggy
12-13-12, 2:28pm
A Christmas gift for DD & SIL. They just got married this summer so were buried in new bobbles. The only things they need for their house now cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I paid for the wedding so feel they've already had a pretty good year. I wonder if they got a Crock Pot...?

Gregg, sometimes when I can't think of anything to get someone, but I do know their interest, I'll get them a magazine subscription. It's like a little gift every month. Everyone like National Geo, or Smithsonian. Or cooking! Cooks Illustrated or Cook's Country are both really great magazines.

puglogic
12-13-12, 2:41pm
Recently bought -

LED bulbs that use less than 10 watts of electricity each and cost less than $20 each.

Ooh! Ooh! Do you like them? Are they the harsh blueish ones or are they reasonable in, say, a kitchen? I'm shopping for these right now.

Spartana
12-13-12, 2:42pm
What are the Current Holy Grails You are In Search of?

Still (always) trying to improve my physical conditioning to continue to compete at a fairly high level in sports and activities as I age. Isn't it suppose to get easier with lots of practice :-)? Someday I'll reach that Holy Grail and get to where I want to be physically ...or maybe I'll die first. That's probably more likely :-)!

And Like Cathy A - trying (without much luck) to buy American made products as much as possibnle and shun imports.

puglogic
12-13-12, 2:43pm
Stocking stuffers for men who like the outdoors, playing guitar, exercising, and beer. :(

JaneV2.0
12-13-12, 4:25pm
At the moment, it would be medium roast peppermint-flavored coffee beans. I've had them on my list for awhile and haven't had much luck finding them. I've deployed my beloved to do a search in his area. Fingers crossed.

treehugger
12-13-12, 4:30pm
Stocking stuffers for men who like the outdoors, playing guitar, exercising, and beer. :(

Surely you've already thought about this, but what about...beer? Single bottles or cans of interesting/exotic/unique brews are fun to find in a stocking.

Kara

CathyA
12-13-12, 4:39pm
Bae.....thanks for clarifying. An onion ring milkshake just worried me a little. ;)

try2bfrugal
12-13-12, 9:40pm
Ooh! Ooh! Do you like them? Are they the harsh blueish ones or are they reasonable in, say, a kitchen? I'm shopping for these right now.

Yeah, they are great. I bought an assortment from Amazon of the highly rated / best selling LED bulbs - Hitlights, G7, Phillips and now trying Lighting Ever. Some have warm white options and they look fine. No UV issues, no mercury issues and half the watts of even most CFLs. The initial cost is higher than incandescent or CFL bulbs, but the life time costs save hundreds of dollar per bulb for us because our electricity rates are crazy high. One Hitlights bulb package states it can save $204 in lifetime costs. So multiple that times every bulb in your house, and if you are me multiply that result times 3.4 because that is how much higher our electricity costs are than the rate used in the package calculations.

On days when we can use our "solar clothes dryers" and use small appliances instead of the cook top and wall oven, our electric usage is close to half of what it used to be and we haven't even swapped out most of the bulbs for LEDs yet or done anything big like add insulation.

pony mom
12-13-12, 11:35pm
I'd love to find the ideal job for me, decent pay, local, great people and environment, and it won't physically cripple me.

Jeans that don't stretch and fall off me at the end of the day.

SiouzQ.
12-15-12, 10:33am
I am forever on the look out for the perfect bag (notice I don't say purse, 'cuz I hate them). Preferably leather in a backpack style that could fit a small writing notebook in it AND still fit in my locker at work. ANDnot bedecked with 5 lbs. of buckles, studs and chains (please, please let that fad be over soon)! I've searched for them on-line but I am very leery about ordering something as personal a "purse" on-line because you wouldn't be able to see inside and play with all the hidden pockets to make sure your stuff is going to fit in just right. Backpack style purses are so out of fashion I can't even find them in the thrift stores.

Stella
12-15-12, 12:08pm
Mmm. Onion rings and milkshakes. Drat. Now I'm hungry.

My current holy grail is artwork for my dining room. It's ticking me off looking at the bare walls everyday, but I want to find something I'll really like. I'm considering moving an oil painting from the living room, but that really just shifts the problem. It doesn't solve it.

Amaranth
12-15-12, 12:19pm
Puglogic, for the stocking stuffer for the guitar person, how about a gift card to a place that has guitar sheet music/books?

Stella, do you have a vacation landscape photo that would look good blown up to poster size? If so that could be an enjoyable piece of art to look at.

JaneV2.0
12-15-12, 3:07pm
I am forever on the look out for the perfect bag (notice I don't say purse, 'cuz I hate them). Preferably leather in a backpack style that could fit a small writing notebook in it AND still fit in my locker at work. ANDnot bedecked with 5 lbs. of buckles, studs and chains (please, please let that fad be over soon)! I've searched for them on-line but I am very leery about ordering something as personal a "purse" on-line because you wouldn't be able to see inside and play with all the hidden pockets to make sure your stuff is going to fit in just right. Backpack style purses are so out of fashion I can't even find them in the thrift stores.

They still make that kind of bag:
http://www.qvc.com/CatalogSearch?langId=-1&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&keyword=leather+backpack
And I think you can find most of these at Nordstrom or a similar retailer.

redfox
12-15-12, 3:53pm
1. Satisfying work
2. End to depression
3. Retiring debt
4. Weight loss

No item can make these happen for me... but I do always appreciate a good find at GW! I did just buy a pair of Teva leather tall boots there, and they are superbly comfortable. Helpful for the hallux limitus I have just been diagnosed with. Barely worn; 18% of retail. My new daily wear boots!

These:
http://www.amazon.com/Teva-Womens-Jade-Cove-Wedge/dp/B004KZQIHU

Spartana
12-15-12, 5:29pm
Cute Redfox! I'm still an UGG-style boot fan myself but wear an off brand non-leather kind to keep my inner ice-cream-eating-vegan-conscious happy :-)!

catherine
12-15-12, 5:36pm
Isn't a Holy Grail something so important you make it your life's work to go after it and find it? In that case, for me it would be to actually walk the walk of true spiritual simplicity and find union with the Divine, but it sounds rather silly coming after Uggs and onion-ring makers :|(

JaneV2.0
12-15-12, 5:43pm
Well one of us has to be an adult and I guess you're it, Catherine! That's certainly a challenging and worthy grail.

Me, I figure I'll get to the Divine soon enough (sooner every day), so I'm going to enjoy the material world while I've got it. And my trusty partner looked all over for that peppermint coffee and I'm still beanless.

ApatheticNoMore
12-15-12, 5:43pm
Yea there is very little in terms of stuff I'm much searching for. Warmer blankets! And if an electric spice grinder should happen to show up at the thrift store or something, I would kinda like to try grinding and mixing my own spices.

JaneV2.0
12-15-12, 5:48pm
Yea there is very little in terms of stuff I'm much searching for. Warmer blankets! And if an electric spice grinder should happen to show up at the thrift store or something, I would kinda like to try grinding and mixing my own spices.

I'm a bit of a blanket hoarder, and my three favorite warm blankets are wool, down (like a light-weight comforter), and lovely, soft plush synthetic fleece. I wouldn't give up any of mine. My bed looks like an illustration of The Princess and the Pea.

iris lily
12-15-12, 7:47pm
I'm a bit of a blanket hoarder, and my three favorite warm blankets are wool, down (like a light-weight comforter), and lovely, soft plush synthetic fleece. I wouldn't give up any of mine. My bed looks like an illustration of The Princess and the Pea.

I hate wool and just today freed myself from a Scottish wool lap blanket that I've had for 33 years. In the Buchanan plaid. Why I kept this thing around is beyond me. I don't especially like down (although it's lovely, just too high maintenance for me) and poly fleece is too cheap.

I like cotton quilts. Love them and they don't have to be hand made, machine made is fine but 100% cotton is required.

JaneV2.0
12-15-12, 8:36pm
Cotton doesn't do a thing for me warmth-wise. I have cotton quilts and matelasse and they're very nice. Just not warm.

My synthetic blankets are not exactly fleece as I think of it; more of a plush. They're among my very favorites. Very light weight, wonderful hand, and pretty colors. And I do love wool, as long as it isn't coarse.

Birdie
12-15-12, 9:56pm

These bags come in different sizes and different materials. I've had a large leather one for 6 years and it's still going strong. They have microfiber, leather, nylon...
http://www.healthyback.com/landing-pages/Ameribag-healthy-back-bags/83

Jill
12-17-12, 2:45pm
Lampshade
Watering Can
Nonstick 8x8 baking pan

All fairly easy items to find, but I will only buy them second-hand, in good condition, for under a dollar. I do have standards, after all!

JaneV2.0
12-17-12, 3:03pm
Beans found at a roaster in Georgia. Yay for the Internet!

Gardenarian
12-17-12, 3:58pm
Well, my feet keep changing and none of my shoes are comfortable anymore. So my holy grail is a pair or truly comfortable shoes. I'm ordering a bunch from Zappos and will wear them around the house and return all the losers.
Anyone else have Hallux Rigidus (turf toe)? What a nuisance!

CathyA
12-17-12, 4:29pm
Isn't a Holy Grail something so important you make it your life's work to go after it and find it? In that case, for me it would be to actually walk the walk of true spiritual simplicity and find union with the Divine, but it sounds rather silly coming after Uggs and onion-ring makers :|(

I had to laugh at this catherine. How true you are........but I think this thread came right after I had brought up how I can't let certain things go, when attempting to find something, and I titled it something like "In search of the Holy Grail". That's probably why it contains so many material things here. (And I didn't put it on the spirituality forum). But you're completely right! But your comment makes me really laugh! :)

and Jane, I like your reply of "Well one of us has to be an adult and I guess you're it, catherine!".................That's funny too!

bUU
12-30-12, 7:54am
My current Holy Grail is a 100% reliable duplex document scanner that doesn't cost more than $300. :)

We have two 4-drawer filing cabinets full of paper records, and many other paper records in boxes. I want to de-clutter, but I don't want there to be a chance that a scanner will skip a page here-and-there. ("If you're having trouble, then have the decency to jam, like a normal device - don't just silently grab two pages scanning only one!") There are a number of "really good" scanners just above my price range, but all of them have the same customer reviews posted: "Skips x out of every y pages, without you realizing it..."

Luckily, the problem isn't getting much worse. We've switched to electronic billing and electronic statements for practically everything now, and back them all up to our secure cloud backup service for good measure.

I'd also would love to find world peace, lose 80 pounds and retire early, but those are just "nice to haves". I really really want to get rid of all this paper! :)

TMC
12-30-12, 9:45pm
Good cheese.

I am looking for some tasty sharp cheddar that I can shred myself to keep on hand in the freezer and not pay $4.00 a bag for the pre-shredded stuff. I don't care if it's ends or trims, whatever, But it has to be really good cheese or else why bother.