PDA

View Full Version : Camouflage invisibility cloak?

razz
12-16-12, 11:17am
Saw a version of this article in our local paper and found it rather hard to believe but since I know very little of the technology, it http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/143353-canadian-camouflage-company-claims-to-have-created-perfect-invisibility-cloak-us-military-soon-to-be-invisible may well be possible.

Quotes:

Now, we’ve written about invisibility cloaks in the past, but these have generally been very small, lab-based experiments that only work with very specific wavelengths of light. These invisibility cloaks generally work by bending light around an object using metamaterial waveguides — think of them as optical paths that negatively refract light, so that their detour around the object can’t be discerned. So far, we have only managed to develop metamaterials that bend specific wavelengths of light — so the object might be invisible to microwaves or infrared, but not both. Quantum Stealth reportedly works across the entire range of visible light, and infrared too. If this is really the case, Quantum Stealth completely redefines the state of the art.

In theory, Quantum Stealth works by bending light around the target, and Cramer certainly uses the right words to support his case — nanotechnology, metamaterials — but it’s still very hard to believe that a lone inventor in Canada has actually succeeded in creating an invisibility cloak. It’s not impossible, but it’s improbable. I want to say that there’s a clue in the name — that Quantum Stealth somehow uses some neat glitch in quantum mechanics to provide invisibility — but really, it’s probably just hyperbole, like the company’s name. If Quantum Stealth really exists, though, you’d assume that the US military would be quick to flaunt its new toy. After all, there’s nothing more terrifying than an invisible army.

Tussiemussies
12-16-12, 1:07pm
Did also read something about this a few years back...

SteveinMN
12-16-12, 1:33pm
Interesting...

There has been lots of work on this in the past, from all sectors.

Daimler recently tried to make a Mercedes-Benz invisible (http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/06/mercedes-benz-attempts-to-make-an-invisible-car/).
Off the coast of my native Long Island, there was supposed to be an effort during the 50s to use electromagnetism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment) to render a Navy ship invisible. No good confirmation of it and apparently it had some serious side effects.

I suspect, like teleportation, it will be quite a while until the technology meets its intended goal.

Mrs-M
12-17-12, 1:58pm
Talk about super-wow!

bae
12-17-12, 2:04pm
Amazing how it manages to reproduce the pattern in the wainscoting that the woman is standing in front of...

Almost like...Photoshop. I wonder how they manage to curve the photons, the local gravitational field must be sort of fierce....

Gardenarian
12-17-12, 4:39pm
Almost like...Photoshop.

It's everywhere.

ToomuchStuff
12-23-12, 1:19am
— but really, it’s probably just hyperbole, like the company’s name. If Quantum Stealth really exists, though, you’d assume that the US military would be quick to flaunt its new toy. After all, there’s nothing more terrifying than an invisible army.

Very much the opposite. Think of the U2, the SR71, the Stealth(s), and how they existed for a while before becoming public. My father told me about being stationed in Edgewater (I think that is the name of the town), MD, in the early to mid 60's. He worked on Radar stuff for some of the missile command, and after fixing and verifying a unit, they picked up something going faster then anything should. They sent it up the chain and the order came back to service the machine, when they replied it just had been, etc. they were ordered, they weren't seeing what they were seeing. It was after I was born and the SR71 became known, he told me that story.

In Quantum physics (which is over my head) all kinds of strange things can happen. We would be a lot further if we did have this tech (although I expect it would remain highly classified).

bae
12-23-12, 1:29am
In Quantum physics (which is over my head) all kinds of strange things can happen. We would be a lot further if we did have this tech (although I expect it would remain highly classified).

Trust me, it's a hoax.

I could tell you more, but, well, you know how that would go...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o7outzgFu5w/TtmtQVQInNI/AAAAAAAAEVQ/yyz_phzKEKU/s640/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

ToomuchStuff
12-23-12, 3:01am
Trust me, it's a hoax.

I would think scam (raising "investment capital") before I think Hoax. But I would also be more inclined to think misdirection (people think quantum anything doesn't work, and then this allows quantum computing to get more black funding, to IBM and the like).