PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Framing good artwork

CathyA
1-3-13, 9:45am
I'm a fan of Robert Bateman, a wildlife artist. I have several of his limited reproductions. All of them, so far, I've had framed showing the S/N info (which print this was out of the total number of prints, and the artist's signature). This area is in white. I have a wonderful friend who gave me another of his prints, and I think it would look best framed without any white showing around it. I know I should probably do it the way it makes the print look nicer, but am I making a mistake, by not including that information visually?
Suggestions?

Jilly
1-3-13, 10:25am
It is yours and you can do it any way you like.

Dhiana
1-3-13, 5:47pm
It is yours and you can do it any way you like.

+1

Rogar
1-3-13, 5:48pm
I think it is pretty much your choice. You may be a step ahead of me, but I'd be sure to use archival framing that would include conservation glass and acid free mat and backing. Other wise you could end up with some discoloration around the mat or in the area exposed to sunlight. If you would ever want to reframe with the signature showing, or for collector value, any discoloration could being limiting.

I checked out some of his work. It is very nice.

artist
1-3-13, 6:15pm
As an artist I believe it is entirely up to you how you choose to frame a print. What is important is that you use archival quality framing matterials. You want to make sure you use UV glass and Acid free matting and backing. This will prevent discoloration and fading of the print.

CathyA
1-3-13, 7:43pm
Thanks everyone.
I use a really nice Art Gallery and they've always done the right things as far as the preservation aspect of things.
I would really like the signature and number of the print to show, but the white border just seems to detract from the actual print.
I can't even draw stick figures, so I find artists pretty amazing. Robert Bateman is wonderful and quite an advocate for taking care of the planet.
I got to meet him about 15 years ago.
Here's a copy of the print. They are roseate spoonbills.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/Catherine50/bateman-mangrove_morning-roseate_spoonbills_zps236213f8.jpg

Rogar
1-3-13, 9:59pm
Boy, that is a nice piece of art!

CathyA
1-4-13, 1:14pm
I agree Rogar, and I'm so excited to have it! :)

Mrs-M
1-5-13, 10:40am
I, myself, CathyA, would preserve the artists signature and limited print number (allow it to be seen). Proper presentation, I think, is key to collecting and acquiring.

What a gorgeous print! The colour!

CathyA
1-5-13, 2:35pm
I'm leaning toward agreeing with you Mrs. M. I really like the look of the print without the artist's name..........but that's an important part of having the print! I was hoping to not have the picture surrounded by a thin strip of white.........but I, too, think its important to show his signature and number, in terms of its preservation. OTOH, it will always be there, just not visible. I'm going to the Art Gallery this week. They always give me really good advice and guidance, so we'll see what they say. But I'm pretty sure they'll say it would be best to keep the signature showing.
I wasn't really big on the color pink in the past.........but this print is just incredibly beautiful. I like pink more now! :)

CathyA
1-5-13, 2:39pm
I wear old torn up clothes, not into jewelry, don't take vacations, don't have cable, etc. So this is my splurge. I have several other of his limited reproductions, beautifully framed.......and it makes me so happy just to look at them. :)
A lovely friend gave this one to me for christmas. The thing about these kinds of prints though.......you have to spend just about as much money on the framing as the prints cost! But its so worth it.

Mrs-M
1-5-13, 2:59pm
I do also think, CathyA, that not having to remove the print from it's framed state, both protects and preserves it's condition, because in the open market a buyer would for surely seek the print number/artist name, etc, and it would be such a shame to tamper with such a finished/framed work.

CathyA
1-5-13, 6:36pm
Good point Mrs. M. Although I started thinking that the certificate of authenticity usually comes with that info on it. When the Art Gallery framed my others, they included a big pocket on the back, to hold the certificate.
Unfortunately, this one didn't come with a certificate, which was a bit disconcerting. I called the original company (art country Canada), and the person said they'd get me one. Seemed a little strange to me that it didn't come with the print. The print was from a secondary market in California. (Hopefully its not a forgery!) I did cover up the signature on one of my Bateman's. But hopefully, after I'm gone, my children will want to keep them all.

catherine
1-5-13, 7:00pm
Can you double-mat the piece? So you have a thin white mat with the artist name/# and then add a mat with a color that blends nicely with the art--one of those taupe colors in it, or something like that?

CathyA
1-5-13, 7:45pm
Thanks catherine........I could do that and probably will. But the white, at least to me, seems to break up the movement of the eye into the picture. I'm torn between what is probably considered "right" in the art world, and what looks good to me as a lay person.

CathyA
1-5-13, 8:08pm
catherine....you have a good eye. I forgot about the word "taupe", but after you brought it up, I realized that I've been looking at a taupe outer mat for the picture. It blends beautifully with the picture. On the website I've been playing around with, you can insert your picture, and then try lots of different possibilities for mats. The one that looks best is sort of a pinkish/brownish/gray. Its called Copely Gray, but is more taupe than anything else. Good eye catherine!

catherine
1-6-13, 9:37am
Not sure if I have a good eye, or a similar experience I learned from! Here's a limited edition Warren Kimble that I have, for which I also wanted the signature and the # shown on the mat. I think your idea of Copley Grey is a great one.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp54378%3Evq%3D32%3C9%3E3%3C4%3E%3A33% 3EWSNRCG%3D38%3B253685%3B337vq0mrj

CathyA
1-6-13, 10:29am
I googled "copley gray" and sometimes, it looked much browner than the taupe.........but I guess color can vary from one site to another.
I'm probably taking the print to the Art place tomorrow, so we'll see what they have to offer.
I was thinking maybe I could use a crayon to color the white around the print, so the S/N would still show, but blend better.
JUST KIDDING!! :0!

Mrs-M
2-1-13, 11:09am
P.S. Catherine. Just caught up with this thread again and wanted to tell you how much I love the print! The brown background is so prefect! And the two smaller framed prints really set-off the look!

BarbieGirl
2-17-13, 6:04pm
Beautiful! I love the print!

catherine
2-17-13, 7:06pm
P.S. Catherine. Just caught up with this thread again and wanted to tell you how much I love the print! The brown background is so prefect! And the two smaller framed prints really set-off the look!

Thanks, Mrs-M! We got each of the two small prints two different years-we won them as a family after pooling bingo winnings at an annual fair in Townsend VT, so they give me fond memories. We all signed the back of the frame and I smile every time a take it down to clean it. So I became a fan of Warren Kimble, and bought the larger print at his studio in Brandon. I was lucky enough to actually meet him last year when my son's best friend got married there.