PDA

View Full Version : Top 12 Herbs/Spices for Food and Medicine

Amaranth
2-10-13, 10:09am
If you could have 12 herbs/spices for both food and medicine what would be your top 12?

The medicine as aspect doesn't need to involve using it in an edible way. An infusion could be drunk as a medicinal tea or used as a skin wash for example as well as being used to flavor a pasta sauce.

cdttmm
2-10-13, 10:23am
Oh wow, what a great idea for a thread, Amaranth! I don't know much about medicinal uses for herbs so I will be excited to read everyone's responses. I'm going to suggest that these are on the list:

cinnamon -- isn't cinnamon supposed to be good for the circulatory system?
turmeric -- this must be good for something medicinal...
mint -- I just like the way mint tastes, especially in tea, and I think the essential oil is supposed to promote clear thinking
ginger -- I know this is good for soothing an upset stomach
lavender -- I know this essential oil has a calming effect and helps promote sleep

SteveinMN
2-10-13, 10:35am
I would add hot pepper of some kind -- crushed red pepper, cayenne, whole chipotles/thais, whatever, for their flavoring and metabolism-boosting and anti-inflammatory capabilities. It isn't a true herb, but I suppose it meets the spirit of your request. Ditto for garlic (minced/powdered) (not an herb, but good for you and tasty). Cinnamon is supposed to be good at slowing blood-glucose spikes and also has some anti-bacterial properties. Rosemary has some antiseptic properties, too, and is a good herb for skin and hair. And celery seed can be a good substitute for salt in many recipes, cutting down on sodium intake if that's something one ought to do.

Rosemary
2-10-13, 11:46am
chamomile and fennel seeds - for digestion. Chamomile solution is also good for soothing skin issues.
turmeric - highly anti-inflammatory and shown to have anti-cancer activity.

JaneV2.0
2-10-13, 12:35pm
Holy basil http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA346157/holy-basil-to-combat-stress.html (http://hinduism.about.com/od/ayurveda/a/tulsibenefits.htm), garlic and onions, peppermint as a digestif, and all the aromatics generally used in curries: coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, cayenne, mustard seed...

Gardenarian
2-11-13, 6:41pm
Mint (Peppermint, Spearmint) - aids digestion
Sage - Colds, flu (also burning it repels mosquitos)
Rosemary - reduce stress, indigestion
Lavender - Stress, insomnia
Chamomile - digestion, stress, insomnia
Thyme - antimicrobial, antifungal
Licorice Root - stimulant, soothing for sore throats, ulcers, bladder problems
Ginger - anti-nausea, digestive
Cinnamon - regulates blood sugar, blood pressure
Turmeric - anti-inflammatory
Clove - anti-inflammatory, pain relief
Nutmeg - insomnia (try freshly grated nutmeg in hot milk at bedtime - works great for kids.)

Garlic (don't know if this qualifies as an herb/spice?)